PDA

View Full Version : The Disgaea Series

Momiji
02-20-2007, 02:29 AM
I just recently heard of the Disgaea series, and I'm pretty interested in it.. but to be sure, I wanted to know if the games were any good at all?

Discuss ^^

Behold the Void
02-20-2007, 02:31 AM
GOD YES BUY THEM NOW!

*ahem*

Disgaea is one of the top five games I believe everyone should play. It's fun, it's funny, it's got a surprisingly good storyline, and it has a great system. Note: Disgaea is a Strategy RPG (SRPG) that uses the grid system, and the max level is 9,999 (you really only need to be around 60-ish average to beat it as I recall). If you're the type that likes to do full completion, Disgaea will be quite a chore for you.

NeoCracker
02-20-2007, 02:36 AM
The Second Disgaea got old fast. Can't vouch for the first one though. Makai Kingdom, however, is amazing. Best Of the NIS Games, with the possible exception of the First Disgaea.

Momiji
02-20-2007, 02:42 AM
GOD YES BUY THEM NOW!

*ahem*

Disgaea is one of the top five games I believe everyone should play. It's fun, it's funny, it's got a surprisingly good storyline, and it has a great system. Note: Disgaea is a Strategy RPG (SRPG) that uses the grid system, and the max level is 9,999 (you really only need to be around 60-ish average to beat it as I recall). If you're the type that likes to do full completion, Disgaea will be quite a chore for you.

So...it's like Final Fantasy Tactics?

I'm seriously considering getting both of them.

Mirage
02-20-2007, 03:54 AM
The Second Disgaea got old fast. Can't vouch for the first one though. Makai Kingdom, however, is amazing. Best Of the NIS Games, with the possible exception of the First Disgaea.
I don't think Makai Kingdom was made by NIS, just published by them.

Behold the Void
02-20-2007, 06:04 AM
The second one isn't bad at all, not as good as the first in terms of story but it has its moments. They did fix a lot of the technical issues though, which I appreciated.

But yes, very Tactics-like.

Cz
02-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Both Disgaea games are fantastic, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them very much. The original has the superior story, but the battle system in the second is a little more refined, so which one you want to start with depends on your priorities. Both of them are well worth a playthrough, though, even if you don't plan on reaching level 9,999. :D

Momiji
02-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Both Disgaea games are fantastic, and I'm sure you'll enjoy them very much. The original has the superior story, but the battle system in the second is a little more refined, so which one you want to start with depends on your priorities. Both of them are well worth a playthrough, though, even if you don't plan on reaching level 9,999. :D

Will I miss anything storyline-wise if I just skip 1 for now and get Disgaea 2?

Cz
02-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Will I miss anything storyline-wise if I just skip 1 for now and get Disgaea 2?Not really. There are a couple of recurring characters from the first game, but the story itself doesn't directly follow on or anything, and I can't think of any story elements that would be confusing to someone who joined the series with Disgaea 2.

Mirage
02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
You'll just not get a ton of references to the first game, including a lot of inside jokes and rivalry between a couple of characters you'll encounter.

CimminyCricket
02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Makai Kingdom was made by NIS as well, hence prinnies, and the Idea of the Netherworld and the reoccuring overlords in Disgaea 2 (you'd see them in the ned/beggining episode snippets). I enjoyed almost all of the games by nis; Disgaea 1-2, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom, I just couldn't get into Atelier Iris for some reason.

BUY DISGAEA...if you can find it. If not, buy it off of their site for 39.99 or something like that. And then spend $20 on a prinny doll like I did. :cD

The first Disgaea and Makai Kingdom are the ONLY games that I liked playing more than the Final Fantasy series. Phantom Brave tied with the top Final Fantasies and Disgaea 2 was kind of a So-So. Funny, but too much of a lovey dovey story line. It was very Japanese, about family and honor and the like. Still fun.

Also, to beat it with little problems (i.e. surviving with one character, you'd have to be at level 80 with all of them. because at the end the boss is surrounded by enemies with attacks that go over a large grid area. Very annoying.

JKTrix
02-21-2007, 04:50 PM
I enjoyed almost all of the games by nis; Disgaea 1-2, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom, I just couldn't get into Atelier Iris for some reason.

Someone else feels the same as me (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=2099797#post2099797)! NIS didn't 'make' Atelier Iris (and Ar Tonelico, that link leads to that thread), they just published it.

The NIS games have a certain charm to them that seems to be absent from the Gust games.

I am going to look for Disgaea when i go to the states, see if I can find it on the cheap. I didn't have a PS2 when the first one came out, and I didn't buy the 2nd game either--though I own both Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom.

Behold the Void
02-21-2007, 05:28 PM
I'd suggest getting Disgaea 1 first if at all possible, it was just rereleased so it's cheaper now and having to go back to the less-refined gameplay of the first one from the second one might put you off, which would distract you from the awesomeness of the game.

Dreddz
02-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Ive only played the first title, It was pretty dandy. Dreddz gives his recommendation.

Dragonsoul
02-21-2007, 09:05 PM
It is popular, but I haven't played it but I would probably like it. Here are the top tactical rpg's I know of...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_role_playing_game

Ogre series: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle 64, Ogre Battle(for a handheld console), Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis

FF Tactics series: FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advance, FF Tactics Advance 2(upcoming)

Nippon Ichi tactical rpg's they developed: Disgaea 1, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2, Makai Wars(upcoming)

Series: Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Front Mission(Squaresoft)

Also, Bahamut Lagoon(Squaresoft) and Suikoden Tactics are signifigant, read that article. :)

Mirage
02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey Void, did you ever find prism ranger Indigo in some the item world? :p

NeoCracker
02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Makai Wars? I so want that now.

Dragonsoul
02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22makai+wars%22&btnG=Google+Search

Makai Wars was being developed for something else before they decided to develop it for PS 3 I believe. You buy me it. Anyways I wish I knew Japanese so I could more easily play the Front Mission series. I beat Front Mission 1 and Front Mission: Gun Hazard both for Japanese Snes in the spring(translation). Let me play the rest of them! :)

Behold the Void
02-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey Void, did you ever find prism ranger Indigo in some the item world? :p

I never actually encountered him, but I imagine I will someday.

CimminyCricket
02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
He's the guy that is just randomly whining about wanting to go home, yes?

Mirage
02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Indeed he is :p. Seeing him made me lol.

CimminyCricket
02-22-2007, 03:18 PM
I remember him! I wanted to help go home! :c( But they wouldn't let me. So I settled for just me going home.

Cz
02-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Man, I wish you could have unlocked the Prism Rangers. Thos guys were great. :D

Endless
02-22-2007, 06:18 PM
You can call them in DG2 :p

Anyway, if you can get Disgaea 1 first, then DG2 or Makai Kingdom. Also, Makai Wars was originally developped to be a PSP game, but a title with the same name was later announced on the PS3.

Ishin Ookami
02-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I enjoyed almost all of the games by nis; Disgaea 1-2, Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom, I just couldn't get into Atelier Iris for some reason.

The NIS games have a certain charm to them that seems to be absent from the Gust games.

I disagree, I find the Gust titles to be every bit as charming as the NIS games. great storylines and awesome jokes about the RPG industry, and great gameplay makes for a good package. I just wish both the NIS and Gust titles would get more respect from the critics. I swear i'm sick of 1up bashing on every game they make just cuz they use pixels and comparing every gust/NIS title to FFVII.

But yah, i say go for Disgaea 1 first, just cuz the story really is that good. I just can't get enough of flonne, Etna, Captain Gordan, Mid-boss, Laharl, and the rest of the guys from that game. Disgaea 2 still has a good story that centeres around deception in life, but the characters just were not as memorable. They were good, just not AS good, but still had more charisma than you'd find in recent FF titles. such as FFXII or FF tactics advance.

Madame Adequate
02-24-2007, 01:25 PM
It is popular, but I haven't played it but I would probably like it. Here are the top tactical rpg's I know of...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_role_playing_game

Ogre series: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle 64, Ogre Battle(for a handheld console), Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis

FF Tactics series: FF Tactics, FF Tactics Advance, FF Tactics Advance 2(upcoming)

Nippon Ichi tactical rpg's they developed: Disgaea 1, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Disgaea 2, Makai Wars(upcoming)

Series: Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Front Mission(Squaresoft)

Also, Bahamut Lagoon(Squaresoft) and Suikoden Tactics are signifigant, read that article. :)

You've missed Vandal Hearts 1 + 2, which for my money are the best of the bunch. But I've not played several of NIS', so it's fair to say some might be better still. Like Disgaea. Which I'm just in the middle of ordering from the magic of The Canadia Internets.

ReloadPsi
02-24-2007, 02:03 PM
I find the gameplay in tactical RPGs to be a bit too slow-moving for my liking... nevertheless, the awesomeness of Disgaea can be summed up in one word: Prinnies.

Dood!

Markus. D
02-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Makai Wars? I so want that now.

it apparently involves my favourite secret boss as the main character

ASAGI <3

edit: don't forget. there is another Prism Ranger in the D2 item world. out there somewhere ~}

edit edit: as for storyline. D2 > D1. though D2 is plently more mindless at the beggining. the ending makes it clever ;o

Remedy
02-28-2007, 07:32 AM
I'll play this game but I have a Q.
Does the story of the series linked?
I mean should I play the 1st part to understand the story in the 2nd part?

Does the characters change or the same in the series?

Behold the Void
02-28-2007, 08:47 AM
The second game has new characters, but the characters from the first game do show up later on. You don't NEED to know who they are, per se, but it makes things a lot more interesting.

Also, Disgaea 1 has the superior story but Disgaea 2 has the superior system, so I imagine it'd be really hard to go back to Disgaea 1 and play without all of the tweaks they did to it so that it works better.

Remedy
03-01-2007, 06:09 AM
Roger ^^

Momiji
12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm sorry to bump this ancient thread, but I'd just like to announce that I just got the first Disgaea today (it took me 9 months, but who's counting?)! I can't wait to play it.

Vermachtnis
12-29-2007, 10:11 PM
I'll probably get in trouble for posting here, but considering that Disgaea is kind of a rare game, nine months ain't that bad. Plus, this is a truly epic game!

Momiji
12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
I'll probably get in trouble for posting here, but considering that Disgaea is kind of a rare game, nine months ain't that bad. Plus, this is a truly epic game!

Nah, I made this thread back in February, and I just found it today. That was sort of a follow-up post, which I thought was more logical than starting a new thread just to say I got it.

Markus. D
12-29-2007, 10:24 PM
I just recently heard of the Disgaea series, and I'm pretty interested in it.. but to be sure, I wanted to know if the games were any good at all?

Discuss ^^

Let me say, Until you have been brainwashed by Prinny I don't like you anymore :[ (Not really, I don't mean this!)

It's really something you want to play through before you die :D

I wanna play the PSP version so badly >__< and see Etna kill Laharl!... but then, wow! it opens up so many twists of randomness. OMG!

edit edit: wow, big bump...

Tasura
12-30-2007, 07:07 AM
It's not that rare here really, I was browsing EB and found a copy used for $20, and proceeded to buy it, and also found a copy of the second and Phantom Brave for the same Price. Then of course, Soul Nomad, I bought that new though.

Markus. D
12-30-2007, 10:42 PM
And those will be the only copies you ever see ^_^

Vermachtnis
12-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Wal*Mart still has copies (IE more than one) of Soul Nomad, I can't figure that one out.

CimminyCricket
01-01-2008, 08:24 PM
I didn't buy Soul Nomad when I first saw it because I was broke, I'M SO DEPRESSED!

Old Manus
01-01-2008, 09:06 PM
I just want to say that I laughed out loud earlier today when I saw the title AFTERNOON OF DARKNESS.

Larahl
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
I just want to say that I laughed out loud earlier today when I saw the title AFTERNOON OF DARKNESS.
Ditto.
Best subtitle ever.

Zora
01-02-2008, 01:08 AM
I got Afternoon of Darkness for Xmas and my god I am loving it. Although Radiant Dawn still remains my favorite SRPG of all time, it is still a really great game. And it has wicked depth too.

Currently in chapter 3 though, level grinding my units all to be level 10 (where Laharl is at). Is it just me, or is Laharl overpowered in this game?

Madame Adequate
01-02-2008, 01:22 AM

I also.

Markus. D
01-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I got Afternoon of Darkness for Xmas and my god I am loving it. Although Radiant Dawn still remains my favorite SRPG of all time, it is still a really great game. And it has wicked depth too.

Currently in chapter 3 though, level grinding my units all to be level 10 (where Laharl is at). Is it just me, or is Laharl overpowered in this game?

All hero characters have advantages statistical and skill wise to all non-hero/unlockable/whatever (Maybe excluding the Majin).

It doesnt matter in the end... 99385392029581209 is alot of damage for a Level 9999 Cleric.

Vermachtnis
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM

All hero characters have advantages statistical and skill wise to all non-hero/unlockable/whatever (Maybe excluding the Majin).

It doesnt matter in the end... 99385392029581209 is alot of damage for a Level 9999 Cleric.

xD that's quite a bit.

Is the Majin still as broken as it was in the origiinal are is more toned down like in Disgaea 2?

Markus. D
01-03-2008, 01:55 AM

xD that's quite a bit.

Is the Majin still as broken as it was in the origiinal are is more toned down like in Disgaea 2?

I hope it's still not one of the simpler classes to unlock... because it is still broken... even IN Disgaea 2.

The costs to migrate are still some of the highest, if not the highest in the game(s). So I hope they at least have kept to that...