PDA

View Full Version : Epic Disappointments

Bahamut, King of Dragons
02-20-2007, 07:09 AM
People are always excited for new video games. There are lots of games being released, and there have been many released over the years. There are tons of reasons why people get excited for games; they hear about it from their friends, read about it in a magazine, watch an advertisement on the tv or internet, or even read discussions on a message board where people go nuts over it. Sometimes, our expectations for a game are too high for the game to reach, and disappointment ensues. I'm sure this has happened to you at some point. I had way high hopes for FF 10, because I loved 7, 8, and 9, and was thinking, "It should be more of the same awesomeness, except with better graphics!" I was disappointed, I didn't end up really liking the characters, except for Auron, ish, and I wanted the story to be longer. The music was mostly good, but I was annoyed by the battle theme, which is the most often heard song in the whole game. I thought it was a good game, it just didn't fit in with the perceptions that I had previously conceived based on my previous FF experiences. What games have disappointed you, and what caused you to have the expectations for them that you did?

Yuriev's ghost
02-20-2007, 07:28 AM
I think the only mediocre game that I've ever played that I genuinely thought was going to be excellent was Xenogears. The game had been hyped beyond belief for its story and to be fair, the story is actually pretty good. I guess it's too bad that it has some of the most god-awful gameplay that I've ever seen in a jRPG.

Madame Adequate
02-20-2007, 08:52 AM
FFIX and FFXII. I mean, the latter got 40/40 in Famitsu, and looked like a refreshing overhaul of the series.

I got it about a week after US release, and I've probably not played more than 25 hours of it. Nowhere near finishing, that's for sure. I wasn't even that disinterested in FFIX, which I think is hugely overrated and nothing special.

Elpizo
02-20-2007, 09:00 AM
FF VII. I expected to be blown away by 'The best FF evah!' and it was such a big disappointment straight from the start that I didn't touch it for 2 months, until I watched Advent Children and gave it another try, this time with much less expectations. In the end it turned out to be ok, nothing special or incredibly good.

Germ Hamee
02-20-2007, 09:03 AM
DONKEY KONG 64. >:O

Because the Donkey Kong Country's were the most orgasmic button mashing fun I've ever had in my life. I was so excited to see the "series" move to N64... and I got a terrible, terrible Banjo-Kazooie rip off. It didn't even have the decency to have good music. GOD.

The only good thing about it was the yellow cartridge.

Erdrick Holmes
02-20-2007, 04:47 PM
King of Fighters Neowave. I was expecting that to be an awesome game, since you really can't go wrong with KOF, yet this game was... aweful.

I Took the Red Pill
02-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness was absolutely horrible, and I had high expectations for it because Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is one of my favorite RPG's.