PDA

View Full Version : EBGames attacks PSP's weakpoint for massive damage.

JKTrix
02-20-2007, 07:15 PM
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/JKTrix/ebpsp.jpg

"Trade the past..." just makes it sting a little more. Even though it's inappropriate. Didn't the PSP come out after the DS? Though I guess the DSlite counts as being newer.

So yeah, if you have an EBgames, here's a flyer for your reference. Thinking of getting a DS lite and have one of the 3 other portables? Here's your chance.

Yamaneko
02-20-2007, 07:19 PM
I just saw this over at the 1up boards. Likely flamewar to ensue.

At least you get $100 for your PSP.

Jowy
02-20-2007, 07:21 PM
in before DS is gimmicky and PSP graphics RAWK SO MUCH

I saw that at work today and laughed. Sony's like the kid in high school who dropped his lunch tray in front of the cheerleader's table and everyone points and laughs at.

Dreddz
02-20-2007, 08:52 PM
It seems EBGames have jumped on the bandwagon in de-throning Sony. EBGames shouldnt voice an opinion on what you should get, they should just sell the damn things.

JKtrix, I never knew you would stoop low enough to have a title like that.

Khaotic
02-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Sony=Owned, even though I still play my PS2 more than my Wii right now. :cry:

Flying Mullet
02-20-2007, 09:02 PM
It's just an ad, relax. They're trying to make the DS seem the most technologically advanced so they can sell more. They aren't trying to bash anyone, they just want to sell DS's. You could also view this as PSP's are selling better than DS's so they have to create an ad where DS's are better than people perceive to move them off of their shelves.

NeoCracker
02-20-2007, 09:51 PM
It seems EBGames have jumped on the bandwagon in de-throning Sony. EBGames shouldnt voice an opinion on what you should get, they should just sell the damn things.

Or, you know, maybe they are just seeing it as easier to sell DS's then PSP's. The EB Here at least can sell DS's easier, even with the PSP adds they have had.

And besides, the Title is right anyway.

Erdrick Holmes
02-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Sony=Owned, even though I still play my PS2 more than my Wii right now. :cry:

I think Sony OWNED themselves with the PS3.

Yamaneko
02-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Talk about the ad or I'll close this thread.

Shoeberto
02-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Like sands in the hourglass, these are the Days of our Consoles.

edczxcvbnm
02-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Even the video games stores are pwning sony. Talk about a downward spiral into a horrific explosion of unquestionable size.

MecaKane
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
EBGames shouldnt voice an opinion on what you should get, they should just sell the damn things..

Ask anyone in sales or advertising at all, and they will tell you the best way to sell things is to voice an opinion on what you should get. That's what advertising is.

And this thing isn't a big deal, anyway. They have a normal DS there too, and a GBA so it's like two "burns" on nintendo, right guys? :rolleyes2

Dreddz
02-20-2007, 10:35 PM
EBGames shouldnt voice an opinion on what you should get, they should just sell the damn things..

Ask anyone in sales or advertising at all, and they will tell you the best way to sell things is to voice an opinion on what you should get. That's what advertising is.

Advertising is left to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, not EBGames. And the first rule of advertising is not to say get this, not that. When has Coke ever said not to buy Pepsi ? Never, because its wrong.

XxSephirothxX
02-20-2007, 10:39 PM

Advertising is left to Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, not EBGames. And the first rule of advertising is not to say get this, not that. When has Coke ever said not to buy Pepsi ? Never, because its wrong.
This doesn't even make sense. You're saying a retail store shouldn't advertise? What kind of retarded business move would that be? Maybe Coke has never come out and said "Don't buy Pepsi," although I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had. Instead, they make ads that promote Coke over Pepsi or just promote Coke in general. EB isn't saying "Don't buy a PSP, or a DS, or a GBA!" They're just advertising the newest of the handhelds, which is the DS Lite, and trying to get people to trade in older stuff because they can then mark it up and sell it for more money. Are you just trying to be as antagonistic and disagreeable as possible? Because that's about the only way the things you've been saying make any amount of sense.

Roto13
02-20-2007, 10:40 PM

<3

Yamaneko
02-20-2007, 10:41 PM
They do that all the time in advertising. Ever seen those commercials that show the company's product next to the competitor's product? They clearly name the "flaws" of the competitors product and praise their own; i.e. "I'm a Mac. I'm a PC" ad.

Why isn't EB allowed to advertise? They're merely advertising this deal they have going on. That it's portraying the PSP in a negative light is merely coincidental to the fact that the DS is clearly selling big and EB wants to capitalize on that.

ljkkjlcm9
02-20-2007, 10:43 PM
from what I gather, it's trying to get people that were considering getting a DS lite, to trade in an old system for the newer one, or get people who hadn't considered it, to consider it. It's EBgames trying to get more business, not saying Sony sucks, Nintendo rules. It's not an opinion, it's a business decision.

THE JACKEL

Maxico
02-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Although at the same time they're valuing the PSP at almost twice the trade in value as the old DS.

SOMEBODY SAID THAT THE OTHER TOY IS THE FUTURE. BUT IT'S NOT, IT'S NOT I TELL YOU! THEY'RE STINKING LIARS AND I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS INJUSTICE!

On an unrelated note, that design for the poster is giving me major mid ninties flashbacks. It looks like a magazine ad for the Mega Drive/Genesis or something.

Dreddz
02-20-2007, 11:16 PM

This doesn't even make sense. You're saying a retail store shouldn't advertise? What kind of retarded business move would that be? Maybe Coke has never come out and said "Don't buy Pepsi," although I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had. Instead, they make ads that promote Coke over Pepsi or just promote Coke in general. EB isn't saying "Don't buy a PSP, or a DS, or a GBA!" They're just advertising the newest of the handhelds, which is the DS Lite, and trying to get people to trade in older stuff because they can then mark it up and sell it for more money. Are you just trying to be as antagonistic and disagreeable as possible? Because that's about the only way the things you've been saying make any amount of sense.

I guess I didnt point out what I was saying. EBGames are allowed to advertise what their selling, but their not in the position to tell you not to buy something over the other.

Im sure people think that the poster isnt trying to de-throne the PSP. But come on, the PSP is slap bang in the middle of the poster, you'd be a fool to say it isnt trying to place one console above the other.

Flying Mullet
02-20-2007, 11:25 PM
I guess I didnt point out what I was saying. EBGames are allowed to advertise what their selling, but their not in the position to tell you not to buy something over the other.

Im sure people think that the poster isnt trying to de-throne the PSP. But come on, the PSP is slap bang in the middle of the poster, you'd be a fool to say it isnt trying to place one console above the other.
EBGames can tell you to buy whatever they want you to buy. They buy the merchandise and then they decide how it should be sold. Just like restaurants only sell Coke or Pepsi, EBGames can decide to carry or not carry certain games or systems and how to advertise them.

Khaotic
02-20-2007, 11:42 PM

Ever see the commercial where jackie chan(?) does a stunt and the "stunt dummy" (coke or pepsi can, not sure) gets crushed, and then is replaced by the advertised product? Or something like that, well, your example is flawed because technically they did.

Roto13
02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Wasn't there a Coke commercial where a guy driving a Pepsi truck is drinking a Coke? Or vice versa?

KentaRawr!
02-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Doesn't seem like they hit their weak-point, nor does it appear to induce massive damage. The topic title is terribly misleading.

About the ad, it's not that odd to me. They're probably selling less DS's and a lot of PSP's. If they get people to buy more DS's, and also get more systems which sell better (at that store), then it's basically just profit for them.

Dreddz
02-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Wasn't there a Coke commercial where a guy driving a Pepsi truck is drinking a Coke? Or vice versa?

No, that was in real life. Ive posted the pic of that several times on this forum in fact.

Maxico
02-20-2007, 11:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTX41MhHnk

Dreddz
02-20-2007, 11:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTX41MhHnk

Sega have done this stuff with the Megadrive also. Doesnt make it right by any means.

Roto13
02-21-2007, 12:00 AM

No, that was in real life. Ive posted the pic of that several times on this forum in fact.

I'm 99% sure there was an actual television ad like that, too.

Craig
02-21-2007, 12:04 AM

What about that Pepsi Max ad that insults Coke Zero? The one with the line like:

Zero ---------------------- Max

That's sort of telling you not to buy Coke Zero.

Markus. D
02-21-2007, 12:05 AM
its just reckless buyers thats all. PSP still has some amazing games on it :)

but like Reine would have maybe have said in this thread IF HE WERE STILL HERE ;-;

It began to shine to late.

Dreddz
02-21-2007, 12:12 AM

What about that Pepsi Max ad that insults Coke Zero? The one with the line like:

Zero ---------------------- Max

That's sort of telling you not to buy Coke Zero.

It could be because Zero would be an appropriate word to put on that line with Max being on one end of it.

Woodinator
02-21-2007, 12:14 AM

They are in no way downing the PSP, they are just taking trying to advertise this new hit version of DS and giving customers a way to better afford it...and my guess as to the reason the PSP is in the center is because it sells back for the largest amount...think about it...seeing a large $100 for re-buy is more enticeing than the lesser amounts -_-

oh and kentarou....the massive damage in the title is a reference to a video that made fun of PS3...

KentaRawr!
02-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh yes, I know. I was just saying that metaphorically, it made no sense. :p

JKTrix
02-21-2007, 12:20 AM

The thread title was tongue-in-cheek, particularly because that meme is well tired by now.

I really found it odd how they consider the PSP as being 'the past'. The flyer does indeed suggest some inferiority of the PSP (the 'massive damage') whether it's intended or not. I doubt it's intended, because I'm sure they want to sell PSPs too. EB Games isn't the biggest game retailer, but it is still quite influential in what goes down in overall sales.

Sephex
02-21-2007, 12:40 AM
It's just a stupid ad. You guys read way too much into these things sometimes.

Yamaneko
02-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Welcome to an Internet message board.

Yuriev's ghost
02-21-2007, 12:59 AM
EBGames is run by child molesters, obviously.

Sephex
02-21-2007, 01:03 AM

This place is usually slightly above such nonsense, though. We are lowering ourselves to GameFAQs level with this kind of crap, and it irks me everytime I see it...which is probably why I am reluctant to come into this subforum these days.

fire_of_avalon
02-21-2007, 01:13 AM
EB doesn't give a crap what you're buying, as long as you're buying from them and it's expensive. Why would they want fewer people to buy PSPs? That doesn't even make sense. I think y'all should stop looking for conspiracies.

Khaotic
02-21-2007, 02:02 AM
EB doesn't give a crap what you're buying, as long as you're buying from them and it's expensive. Why would they want fewer people to buy PSPs? That doesn't even make sense. I think y'all should stop looking for conspiracies.

Um.. they'll buy yours for 100 and resell for 150, they're simply advertising their own price for PSP so people sell it to them.

UltimaMasamune
02-21-2007, 04:46 PM

This place is usually slightly above such nonsense, though. We are lowering ourselves to GameFAQs level with this kind of crap, and it irks me everytime I see it...which is probably why I am reluctant to come into this subforum these days.

trust me , as retarted as this place can get it will never sink to gameFAQs level but (not that I hate the place 6 more karma and I am a Veteran)