PDA

View Full Version : soft, enix?

Aerisfanatic
02-22-2007, 01:58 AM
my question is why did they change there name from square.soft to square.enix when ff X-2 came out?

oddler
02-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Square Co. merged with Enix in 2002 to make up for the losses from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and to lower development costs.

Markus. D
02-26-2007, 08:44 AM
well~ actually~

2 games before that (I think) already had the title.

edczxcvbnm
02-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Square Co. merged with Enix in 2002 to make up for the losses from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and to lower development costs.

I think it is funny because Final Fantasy saved them in the beginning and then it screwed them in the end :D

Yew-Yevon
02-26-2007, 08:28 PM
first movie just didn't follow the ff tradition...thats why it bombed. (not bad for a si-fi though.)

Mirage
02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
IIRC, AC didn't sell all that well either :p.

edczxcvbnm
02-27-2007, 02:05 PM
first movie just didn't follow the ff tradition...thats why it bombed. (not bad for a si-fi though.)

Since when are bizzare ghosts and the world having a mind of its own/heart or whatever Science Fiction? Sounds like fantasy to me.

Overall the movie was really :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty.

Lynx
03-01-2007, 03:57 AM
AC didn't sell all that well either :p.

thats because 1 day after the japanese release everyone had pirated it from the internet. some people had itbefore the japanese release somehow. despite it being in japanese i dont think people cared. the first time i saw it was in japanese with english subs mine wasnt illegal though someone ordered it from japan and the place that had it does a movie viewing thing and one of the days they were haveing a advent children showing. i woudl have bought the english version but my friend has it anytime i want to see it i can borrow it.

Bunny
03-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Since when are bizzare ghosts and the world having a mind of its own/heart or whatever Science Fiction? Sounds like fantasy to me.

Since the movie took place in space, was set in the future, and involved alien life forms.

Fatal Impurity
03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
FF: TSW has created its own sub-genre science-fantasy!

Necronopticous
03-02-2007, 10:51 PM
The "-soft" in Squaresoft is "software" truncated, many software and game developers use this suffix at the end of their name. In Japan, the company was always known as just Square without the suffix, only the games localized for western release bore the name Squaresoft. When they merged with the company Enix, they changed the company name to Square-Enix and dropped the -soft suffix altogether, even for localized games.

On a side note, the Spirits Within was a great film, and was faithful to the soul of the Final Fantasy series. If you don't understand why, then you simply do not understand what the soul and overwhelming message of the Final Fantasy series is.

Orophin
03-03-2007, 03:39 AM
1- Enix create Dragon Quest and it becomes the most loved series in Japan.

2- Square (known as Squaresoft outside of Japan) create Final Fantasy and becomes the second most loved series in Japan.

3- Enix and Square become big rivals.

4- Square make a movie named Final Fantasy : The Spirit Within and lose millions of money.

5- Square sells some of their francises like Xenogears to make up for the lost but it's not enough.

6 5- Enix merge with Square and they name the newly formed compagnie Square-Enix.

I think that sum it up.

The Mog Ninja
03-03-2007, 03:43 AM
since when did enix BUY square?

Orophin
03-03-2007, 04:21 AM
since when did enix BUY square?

Well Square like to say they "merged" with Enix but I think that it's because they don't want to say is that they have been bought, I can be wrong through. :p

EDIT : Ok, I changed that part because it's based on pure assumption.

Mirage
03-03-2007, 04:23 AM
Uh, Square never sold Xenogears. I don't think you're entirely sure what you're talking about.

Orophin
03-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Uh, Square never sold Xenogears. I don't think you're entirely sure what you're talking about.

I've heard countless of times that they sold the Xeno series to Namco, that explain why XenoSaga was made by them.

Mirage
03-03-2007, 04:10 PM
That's wrong. Most of the developers for Xenogears were picked up by Namco, where they made Xenosaga, because they weren't allowed to use the name "Xenogears". Namco has also denied that Xenosaga has any connections to Xenogears.

Orophin
03-03-2007, 04:34 PM
That's wrong. Most of the developers for Xenogears were picked up by Namco, where they made Xenosaga, because they weren't allowed to use the name "Xenogears". Namco has also denied that Xenosaga has any connections to Xenogears.

Really? The person who introduced me to XenoSaga told me that and a lot of people that I know too... Well, thanks for correcting me.

edczxcvbnm
03-03-2007, 08:23 PM
FF: TSW has created its own sub-genre science-fantasy!

What a damn abomination this is ;_; I approve of the creation of the new genre but it had some horrible execution. So bad that we should never attempt another.

Jessweeee♪
03-30-2007, 03:54 AM
You know I borrowed my friend's copy of FFIX and noticed it said Square-Enix, and FFX says Squaresoft...did they begin developing FFX first or something?

Rostum
03-30-2007, 04:37 AM
My FFIX says Squaresoft. I also get a later edition to Americans.

Orophin
03-30-2007, 05:22 AM
You know I borrowed my friend's copy of FFIX and noticed it said Square-Enix, and FFX says Squaresoft...did they begin developing FFX first or something?

That means you bought FFIX after they became Square-Enix. They changed Sqauresoft for Sqaure-Enix on all their games they produced after they merged.

Roto13
03-31-2007, 05:35 AM
On a side note, the Spirits Within was a great film, and was faithful to the soul of the Final Fantasy series. If you don't understand why, then you simply do not understand what the soul and overwhelming message of the Final Fantasy series is.

Unless that message is "Style before substance," you'll have to explain it to me.

MikeL Valentine
04-15-2007, 03:00 PM
ALL the FFs I have played say Square Enix exept FF7 and FF8...

Orophin
04-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Final Fantasy IX and X say Squaresoft too if you bought them before 2002. My FFVIII copy says Square-Enix because I bought it last year (I bought it used in 1999 only to see that the disk 4 wasn't even working when I decided to finish the game last year :( ).

psyniac_123
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
That's because the rereleases of FFI&II, IV, V and VI on GBA and III on DS were post-Enix-merging (as is the phrase) so they had to stick the Square-Enix label on 'em.