PDA

View Full Version : Nice, fresh anime.

Evolavas
02-22-2007, 02:19 AM
My search continues for good anime, I am not talking about tv series or movies related to a tv series. I have seen a many, good bit of anime. But the older I get, the harder it becomes to find some of those classic gems that I once cherished.

Any reccomendations? All will be appreciated.

Nominus Experse
02-22-2007, 05:33 AM
Well, it may help if you listed what ones you have seen - or at least some of them - so that we might be able to better help you.

I say this because some anime are hailed as being wondrous, but in all truth, if the subject matter doesn't interest you, it;s of no real use.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-22-2007, 05:40 AM
What type of anime do you want to watch? Fantasy? Shonen? Shoujo? Romance? etc...

Right now I am watching Death Note and I am really enjoying it. It is a good series so far that is keeping me wondering what will happen next. So that would be my recommendation for the moment til you specify what kind of anime you want.

Remedy
02-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I like anime, but I watched a few movies like:

Nija Scroll

Howl's Moving Castle

the cat return

these ones I remember - I'll come with other reccomendations later ^ ^

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Genshiken and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are nice series that are different from the norm, and also among my personal favorites.

Death Note gets a vote as well, good solid series.

JKTrix
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Watch Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gankutsuou).

It's one of my favourites, and I was telling roto yesterday when I got home both my parents were on the couch watching it. Apparently they started watching it a few days ago, and actually finished it last night.

Great, mature story, jaw dropping visuals, very engaging.

Dreddz
02-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Ive said it before, and Ill say it again. If you havent watched Trigun, do so.

I'd also recommend Perfect Blue, its very mature and pretty disturbing, but the story is one that will cling onto you for a long time. Just when you think you know whats going on, BAM ! Everything is then turned upside down. And then later flipped again to the side. Not so much to make everything confusing, you might want to re-watch it as few times though, just to fully appreciate it.

You could watch Akira, its very hit or miss with the movie though. Some love it, some hate it. If you do happen to watch it, make sure to watch the subtitled version, or the second dubbed version. Never watch the original dub, you've been warned.

Evolavas
02-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Sorry about not posting a list, I just didn't feel like it.

Genshiken and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Death Note, and Perfect Blue, Ninja Scrolls, and Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo are all on my list.

I loved Trigun.

I just watched the subtitled version of Akira last night, loved it.

I pretty much enjoy all anime, Leviathan, if that answers your question.

Ty all.

JKTrix
02-22-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm assuming by 'on the list' you mean 'already seen'.

In that case, I reccomend some more:

RahXephon
Planetes
Fighting Spirit(Hajime no Ippo)
R.O.D. OVA+TV Show

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Zegapain is a good anime, though I have yet to finish it, I have watched 10 episodes and I enjoyed them all. It is situated in a post-apocalyptic future and it involves mechs. There is much more than that but I would be giving away part of the plot.

Evolavas
02-22-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm assuming by 'on the list' you mean 'already seen'.

In that case, I reccomend some more:

RahXephon
Planetes
Fighting Spirit(Hajime no Ippo)
R.O.D. OVA+TV Show

Haven't heard of any of these, I'm going to have to check em out.

As for Zegapain.

Dreddz
02-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I'd also recommend RahXephon, its really worth checking out. Others are....

Outlaw Star
Lupin III ( be careful with its movies, some are great, like the Castle of Cagliostro, and some are atrocious, like Legend of the Gold of Babylon )
Tokyo Godfathers
Ghost In The Shell
Kodocha
Maison Ikkoku
Elfen Lied

crono_logical
02-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Eureka 7 is the most unique recent (past 2 years or so) anime I've watched lately, and I don't usually watch mecha :p It starts of realistic, but gets kind of weird as it progresses despite trying to keep sciency about stuff :p Great soundtrack too :p

Moon Rabbits
02-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Eureka 7 is pretty good stuff. Loveless and Gankutsuou are also worth checking out.

Endless
02-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I just bought xxxHOLiC recently, and it's a pretty good movie, albeit a bit short (~1 hour long).
Other fairly recent anime that I find worth seeing are Samurai Champloo, Haibane Renmei, Witch Hunter Robin. I also picked up Kino no Tabi (Kino's Journey: the Beautiful World), but haven't got time to watch it yet.

krissy
02-22-2007, 11:14 PM
xxxHolic is a wonderful show I gotta be honest. And I'm not big on CLAMP in any way ever.

I second Gankatsuou.
Blood+
Gintama.
Ergo Proxy

as far as fresh ones go

Evolavas
02-22-2007, 11:15 PM
I'd also recommend RahXephon, its really worth checking out. Others are....

Outlaw Star
Lupin III ( be careful with its movies, some are great, like the Castle of Cagliostro, and some are atrocious, like Legend of the Gold of Babylon )
Tokyo Godfathers
Ghost In The Shell
Kodocha
Maison Ikkoku
Elfen Lied

Eureka 7, Samurai Champloo, Haibane Renmei, and Witch Hunter Robin.

I've seen some of Eureka 7 and Samurai Champloo, but everything else here seems pretty new to me. These titles all seem worthwhile, I'm going to have to check them out as well.

Gintama.
Ergo Proxy

Added as well, this might take awhile.

Nominus Experse
02-23-2007, 02:34 AM
Serial Experiments Lain
Berserk
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

NINJA_Ryu
02-23-2007, 03:25 AM
Dont foget Fate Stay Night, Cowboy Bebop, and a good oldie, Ranma :P

Walshy.indeed
02-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Hmmm.....

Evangelion
Macross Plus
Tekkaman Blade

Anyone got any old school ones?

JKTrix
02-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Ok, I might as well just list my top anime (that I've seen all the way) that are absolutely outstanding.

RahXephon, Gankutsuou, Twelve Kingdoms, Eureka 7, Planetes.

Eureka 7 happens to contain some of my favourite moments in any anime...ever. The emotions linked to the song 'GET IT BY YOUR HANDS' are incredible. It's constantly on my iPod playlist.

RahXephon is just my favourite anime. Eureka 7 (and Fullmetal Alchemist, and Wolf's Rain) were made by the same people who made RahXephon. The people who made RahXephon came from some of the makers of Cowboy Bebop, and most of the staff of Escaflowne. High quality stuff, epic even.

While supernatural abilities/themes are all fine, there's something about a realistic story that nudges it above the rest. Planetes, while it deals with 'currently unreal' commercial space travel, is incredibly realistic with everything that happens being entirely believeable. No superpowered big mechs, no aliens, no hidden magical powers, just people and science. And it is a very good story.

Hajime no Ippo, while older than most of these other shows, is another 'realistic' show. As far as I've seen, no one has any kind of magical power and everything is done by each person's own human abilities.

If a 'realistic' story can be greaty entertaining and engaging, it tends to hold a lot more weight with me. It makes the creator be more creative, being limited to things in 'real life', instead of relying on just making stuff up.

That said, a majority of my favourite anime are supernatural :P R.O.D. features girls with wicked telekinetic origami skillz for cryin' out loud.

Madame Adequate
02-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I'd have to recommend Patlabor (I've not seen all the Patlabor stuff, but what I have seen is cool), Kimagure Orange Road, and Ah! My Goddess. For pure fun, completely lighthearted stuff (And also my fave anime ever), go for Azumanga Daioh.

Edit: Yo, Bubblegum Crisis and Moldiver are good too.

Wolf Kanno
02-24-2007, 07:55 AM
A lot of the stuff I would recommend has been mentioned so I'm going to list a few older goodies.;)

Battle Athletes (Preferably the TV series, cause it has the better cast and story) Now I generally don't care for sports anime but this one is hilarious and touching.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor the funniest anime ever! Only show where a captain defeats an entire fleet of aliens just by surrending at the right time:D

One Pound Gospel, the story of a boxer who falls in love with a nun. It's Rumiko Takakshi but it's more in the vein of Maison Ikkoku than Inu-Yasha or Ranma 1/2

Robot Carnival, it's pretty old and hard to come by but it is gorgeous and entertaining. If you like to see how diverse anime is, this movie is the one to do it. It's a series of animated shorts done by famous directors and writers in Japan arounf the mid 80's. They all share the theme of robots. At times it's funny, action packed, artistic and somtimes just plain beautiful... It's a real hidden gem of an anime.

Captain Herlock: anything with Harlock in the title. In fact, anything by Leiji Matsumoto.

Slayers, cause it's the best damn fantasy anime made. The karaoke scene in season two is alone worth watching this series.

Tenchi Muyo! preferably the OVA and the first movie. Their funny, action packed and surprisingly touching and heart warming. The first movie is gorgeous and has one of the best Tenchi stories.

I'll see if I can remember anymore later.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Good call on Patlabor, excellent series.

NeoCracker
02-24-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't like the second Patlabor, but the first was amazing. Can't comment on 3.

as for as new ones, theres teh Hellsing Remake, Hellsing Ultimate.

Though the best one to come out recently would be this Ugly yet Beautiful World. Lots of nudity, but not a hentai. Only goes for 12 episdoes, but still awesome.

Lupin III is always a funny one.

Not many people seem to have seen it, but Cosmo Warrior Zero is another worth watching. Same goes For Silent Mobius.

Madame Adequate
02-24-2007, 10:03 AM
For some reason, I forgot Fushigi Yugi. >_>;

Remedy
02-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Godfathers

I Re-recommend it