PDA

View Full Version : Nauseating Games

Little Blue
02-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Seriously, I dunno if I'm the only one with this issue, but for years, certain games have made me feel sick as a dog.

I think these are only games where the camera is free to move wherever the hell it likes.

I first noticed it about 5 or 7 years ago when I first got Spyro the Dragon. I thought it was just the bright colours of the game and did my best to ignore the feelings of my stomach trying to crawl up my throat. (I think that after a long day of playing I actually did throw up a little bit, just a tiny bit though).

Next time I discovered this feeling was on some star trek game where I played as a Klingon in a first person shooter game. Definitely no bright colours there so I was stumped.

Then there was Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. The stumpedness continues.

Now, before I go onto the latest occurance (although given what day this is, you might be able to guess), let me give some info on some example games that don't do this to me. Space Empires (as an aside, I got SEV today too :D), Civilisation: Call to Power, Star Trek Armada II, and pretty much any Final Fantasy til X-2.

While the first three games all have some similarities in that they're strategy games, if one considered them alone, it would be pretty easy to draw up the conclusion that I'm allergic to games that aren't strategy games. But then there's Final Fantasy, which ruins that theory.

Then it occured to me today, while encountering this latest occurance, what a cause might be. The camera. These non-reactive games have a perspective that is more or less fixed. Sure, I can manipulate the perspective, zoom in, out swivel and so on, but when I don't mess with it, they don't change. But the reactive games do.

And guess what game I'd been looking forward to for a while and just got today also acts like this? Yes, Final Fantasy XII.

So I ask you, does any of this make sense?

Does anyone else ever get similar feelings of nautia while gaming and if so, what games cause it?

Is there any solution that could help prevent it, or at least make me feel less crappy, other than not play these games :p?

Mirage
02-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Try one of those pills you take to avoid motion sickness :p?

Levian
02-24-2007, 08:29 PM
You know, when I saw the title of this thread I initially thought "Spyro the dragon." So I'm not the only one, eh? Good to hear. I used to feel really sick after playing the earlier Spyro games, especially Spyro 1 and 2. I rarely lasted more than 1 hour at a time with those games, but I think I got used to it after a while. I don't think it's too far fetched to think it's the color and camera combination that did it. xD pretty freak colours there, and quick camera.

I haven't had any problems like that on any other games, though. Except I do get a weird feeling whenever FFXII blurs the screen, like when you get a map or when someone joins/leaves the party.

oddler
02-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Almost all games will do this. Watching TV for extended periods of time will do this. There's a warning in the first couple pages of most video game manuals concerning it. Read that mofo.

Pretty much, it says play the game. Feel weird? Take a break. Still feel weird? See a doctor.

To answer your question, no, I've never felt nauseous from gaming without actually being sick to begin with. I do have small muscle spasms every now and then but that could be because I don't eat enough bananas. :p

Little Blue
02-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Try one of those pills you take to avoid motion sickness :p?

hmm... I hadn't really thought of it as motion sickness since I don't really get motion sick while travelling, but thinking about it now, it might be that. Thanks :D

You know, when I saw the title of this thread I initially thought "Spyro the dragon." So I'm not the only one, eh? Good to hear. I used to feel really sick after playing the earlier Spyro games, especially Spyro 1 and 2. I rarely lasted more than 1 hour at a time with those games, but I think I got used to it after a while. I don't think it's too far fetched to think it's the color and camera combination that did it. xD pretty freak colours there, and quick camera.

Yeah, about an hour is about my tolerance too. I managed to clock up nearly three hours on XII earlier today, but I still feel slightly sick four hours after I turned it off today :p

Almost all games will do this. Watching TV for extended periods of time will do this. There's a warning in the first couple pages of most video game manuals concerning it. Read that mofo.

Pretty much, it says play the game. Feel weird? Take a break. Still feel weird? See a doctor.

lol, I just cba to see my doctor. It's a bloody awful trying to get an appointment. Besides, they'll probably just tell me not to play the damned things anyway which I'll ignore just like I ignore those warnings :p

Disco Potato
02-24-2007, 08:43 PM
FFX-2 occasionally made me feel nauseous, but because of storyline issues, not the camera :p

Camera-wise, I tried playing Elder Scrolls IV (Oblivion) a little bit on the pc, but could never figure out how to really control the camera. It kept spinning a lot and made me feel kind of nauseous and dizzy.

oddler
02-24-2007, 09:20 PM
lol, I just cba to see my doctor. It's a bloody awful trying to get an appointment. Besides, they'll probably just tell me not to play the damned things anyway which I'll ignore just like I ignore those warnings :p

That's your choice. :cool:

Mirage
02-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Yes, I think it could be related to motion sickness. You can get motion sickness when what you can see happening doesn't coincide with what your balance organs are registering. That could very well happen when you sit in your chair, and everything in front of you moves. Especially if you've got a large TV and/or sit close to it.

Odaisé Gaelach
02-24-2007, 09:53 PM
I know that PC gamers had problems with Half-Life 2 and motion sickness, so it could be something like that.

Slothy
02-24-2007, 11:41 PM
This sort of explains one theory of why it happens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_sickness. It's essentially the brain getting confuzzled. It happens most often in FPS's, though it can pretty much happen in any 3D game. Thankfully, I don't have this problem so my game enjoyment is never compromised by adverse physical reactions.

Shoeberto
02-24-2007, 11:47 PM
I know that PC gamers had problems with Half-Life 2 and motion sickness, so it could be something like that.
That was because, by default, it used some wonky FOV setting that wasn't standard. I think it got patched after the widespread reports of nausea.

I've never gotten motion sickness from a game.

Frozen Phantom
02-25-2007, 12:10 AM
Like everyone else, I agree with the motion sickness theory. I noticed it happen to my mother when she used to watch my games when she was little, but luckly I was able to escape that curse ;)

Renmiri
02-25-2007, 12:49 AM
This sort of explains one theory of why it happens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_sickness. It's essentially the brain getting confuzzled. It happens most often in FPS's, though it can pretty much happen in any 3D game. Thankfully, I don't have this problem so my game enjoyment is never compromised by adverse physical reactions.

I get violently sick when I use those Virtual Reality helmets. Ugh! :mad:

Vermachtnis
02-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Metroid: Prime and Echoes made me a little sick.

Dragonsoul
02-25-2007, 02:19 AM
I get this if I try to play a first person shooter! I didn't have any signifigant problems though with the "3rd person shooter rpg" Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus. I hope not to have any problems with the upcoming "3rd person shooter rpg" Mass Effect.

I like that Wikipedia article on simulation sickness.

Rye
02-25-2007, 02:28 AM
I get hella motion sickness with a lot of the DS games and the Katamari games. FFXII too. :[

Tavrobel
02-25-2007, 02:36 AM
Playing Blizzard games in lag is like taking a Cyanide pill. Unfortunately, it never works.

But seriously, I've gotten violently sick from Super Mario 64, the Ice level in the Castle's mirror room, in which the portal is on the back wall, yet unreflected and hidden, and Kingdom Hearts' Wonderland, but not because the level was flipped upside down, but because I had no idea what I was doing, and kept going from the save point to the pink checkered room. Nothing else seems to hurt.

A good solution to your motion sickness is either to play it until you get this feeling where your brain will explode (preferably dark or dim). Go to sleep. Then return while in a very bright setting (open the windows!). From this point on, you shouldn't have any concentration or headache problems. Don't drink milk or soda.

Renmiri
02-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Shall he chant "Tavrobel, Tavrobel" while doing it ? ;)

Tavrobel
02-25-2007, 04:06 AM
No, he should chant "FFX-2 needs to get a life non suck operation" whilst doing it.

Tasura
02-25-2007, 07:40 AM
Guitar Hero 2 makes me feel like I've just downed a quart of tequila the way everything moves when you look away from the screen, but no sickness, just weird vision.

JaytodaP
02-25-2007, 07:43 AM
Guitar Hero 2 makes me feel like I've just downed a quart of tequila the way everything moves when you look away from the screen, but no sickness, just weird vision.

Ha! its like watching one of those hypnotyzing things, when you look away from the TV it gets all blurry and jumpy, especially after Hangar 18

krissy
02-26-2007, 01:18 AM
no but i do turn my head unintentionally when playing space slight sims

Leeza
02-26-2007, 01:31 AM
I get nauseous just turning to look back while in a moving car, or sitting facing the wrong way on a ferry so when the 3D games came out it really sucked for me. There are many games that I really would like to play, but can't because of this. I'm still in the begining stages of Silent Hill because I cannot run at all or it makes me sick. So I have to walk and this does not bode well when monsters are around so I had to put it on easy mode.

And guess what game I'd been looking forward to for a while and just got today also acts like this? Yes, Final Fantasy XII.
I've started FFXII and it doesn't seem too bad. I'm hoping I can finish it.

ljkkjlcm9
02-26-2007, 01:32 AM
the games do have those warnings for a reason. I however, am Immune as I can play games nonstop for an entire day, regardless of what it is and feel no effects(except being tired, and hungry)

THE JACKEL

Tasura
02-26-2007, 12:12 PM

Ha! its like watching one of those hypnotyzing things, when you look away from the TV it gets all blurry and jumpy, especially after Hangar 18

Or Surrender, or Freebird.