PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Jedi

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-25-2007, 06:09 AM
What do you think of Return of the Jedi? I think it's an okay movie it isn't as good as the original Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back but it has some redeeming qualities...But it would've been better if somebody died, like Han or Luke.

fantasyjunkie
02-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Empire was my favorite out of all ofthem, followed by A New Hope. I just never really could get into Return of the Jedi. The only part I liked was when Luke ran out from under the staircase to fight Vader and the vocal music started playing. Not a bad movie by any means but I just couldn't get into it.

Araciel
02-25-2007, 06:34 AM
is jedi ep. 5? i never remember.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-25-2007, 06:44 AM
No no no Jedi is episode six.

Araciel
02-25-2007, 06:47 AM
oh ok. i never really thought about which was my favourite, they're all awesome of course

i'll think about it

Shoeberto
02-25-2007, 06:58 AM
What do you think of Return of the Jedi? I think it's an okay movie it isn't as good as the original Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back but it has some redeeming qualities...But it would've been better if somebody died, like Han or Luke.
Somebody does die. Somebody very, very important to the series dies.

Araciel
02-25-2007, 07:03 AM
was it the emperor AND vader?

Shoeberto
02-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Yes.

The more important death, from a purely emotional standpoint, was Vader's. Especially considering Episodes I-III.

Araciel
02-25-2007, 07:08 AM
as i'm sure has been said already, 1 was ok, the other 2...not so much
but yes i see your point.

Slade
02-25-2007, 08:32 AM
I loved 'Return of the Jedi'. Probably my favorite episode. The only thing that I didn't really like were the Ewoks. They annoyed the crap out of me. Apart from that, great addition to the series.

Marshall Banana
02-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Ooh, it's the best! It has cute, cuddly Ewoks, HanxLeia, and the decisive duel between Luke and Vader! If only Episode III had followed it more closely. "Younglings" aren't very cute, and AnakinxPadme isn't nearly as satisfying, but Obi-Wan versus Anakin does come close.

And, several characters die in this film. Jabba the Hutt, Boba Fett, and Yoda are killed off, too, not to mention a few Ewoks. =(

Sefie1999AD
02-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I thought the first 30 minutes of "Return of the Jedi" were quite boring, but the movie got better when Luke returned to Dagobah. The final battles and the ending were pretty nice (except for Hayden Christensen being Anakin's ghost in the remake DVD), and the movie is quite entertaining, although it's not one of my favorites. "A New Hope" is my favorite Star Wars movie out of episodes 4-6.

Nominus Experse
02-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Return of the Jedi details the event in which the Emperor's grand plan was overthrown by none other than...

Fucking teddy bears...

Empire and A New Hope are the true embodiments of what Star Wars is. The Return of the Jedi is alright, but nothing notable.

And let us never touch episode I... God, the horrors...

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Somebody does die. Somebody very, very important to the series dies.

I mean the storyline of ROTJ would've been darker and more cerebral if Han died after Leia thawed him out of the carbonite or if Luke died on the Death Star.

escobert
02-25-2007, 04:28 PM
The Empire Strikes Back is the best imo. Return of the Jedi wasn't bad just like Empire much better.

NINJA_Ryu
02-25-2007, 04:40 PM
The Empire Strikes Back is the best imo. Return of the Jedi wasn't bad just like Empire much better.

not only that, but great, terrible, awesome Vader turns into an old, shriveled pansy of a hokey feely saviorness...

bleh.

Marshall Banana
02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
I mean the storyline of ROTJ would've been darker and more cerebral if Han died after Leia thawed him out of the carbonite or if Luke died on the Death Star.

Luke's death would mean the extinction of the Jedi! That can't happen in a film about, and even titled, the Return of the Jedi. xO

krissy
02-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Death != cerebral.

It's my fave episode.

XxSephirothxX
02-25-2007, 06:23 PM
I love it, but it is not as good as A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back. Still a great film, though. And absolutely amazing special effects for the time. The first one was groundbreaking, and they really refined it with Empire, but Return of the Jedi took it to a whole 'nother level.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-25-2007, 06:32 PM

Luke's death would mean the extinction of the Jedi! That can't happen in a film about, and even titled, the Return of the Jedi. xO

Leia would become a Jedi and rebuild the order, if Luke died because she knows how to use the force at the end of the film.

Han: I'm sure Luke wasn't on that thing when it blew...

Leia: He wasn't I can feel it.

Marshall Banana
02-25-2007, 07:10 PM
It's hard to believe that she could become a Jedi without, at least, some of the same training Yoda gave to Luke, though. She could sense Luke's presence, but I doubt she could realize what she's capable of without guidance from her brother.

Slothy
02-25-2007, 07:22 PM
I may prefer Empire, but not by much. Return is also a lot better than A New Hope if you ask me. A New Hope was good, but the series really took off once Lucas left the directing and script writing duties to others (something we should all wish he had done with the prequels).

The Fat Bioware Nerd
02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
It's hard to believe that she could become a Jedi without, at least, some of the same training Yoda gave to Luke, though. She could sense Luke's presence, but I doubt she could realize what she's capable of without guidance from her brother.

Obi-Wan's spirit could've appeared and showed Leia how to communicate with Luke's spirit but I suppose that's kind of lame...Anway I agree Lucas should've let somebody else write the script for the prequel trilogy, because then the storyline would've been believable.

Del Murder
02-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Yoda also dies.

I think this one is my favorite. I like happy endings.

Jowy
02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
Too bad that they added Hayden Christiansen in the ending scene as Darth Vader. That just angried up my blood.

Araciel
02-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Too bad that they added Hayden Christiansen in the ending scene as Darth Vader. That just angried up my blood.

WTP?!?!?

man EFF that that's so typical of star wars now....so glad i never saw that

Tifa's Real Lover(really
02-26-2007, 12:59 AM
what the hell? i never saw hayden christiansen cuase ive only seen the original versions instead of the remastered ones, can you watch these scenes on youtube or something?

Kossage
02-26-2007, 01:16 AM
I enjoy Return of the Jedi for the most part. First of all, the opening with Vader's arrival is awesome with a very nice rendition of the Imperial March. You gotta love Vader's remarks: "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am." The Emperor's arrival and many of his scenes are quite chilling; you just gotta love Ian McDiarmid.

The whole Jabba stuff in the beginning is quite thrilling with all the confrontations as well as the battle with the Rancor. The scene when Leia frees Han from the carbonite is quite touching (gotta love that love theme), and the whole Sail Barge battle is quite intense with great lightsabre-action, Boba Fett and the Sarlacc. The bit with Yoda and his death and Obi-Wan appearing and explaining stuff about Anakin is great too (as well as the whole revelation about Leia).

The latter half of the movie isn't bad either. You have this awesome Battle of Endor going on in space (gotta love Admiral Ackbar's immortal "It's a trap!" line xD), and the ground battle isn't bad either, although the Ewoks tend to get annoying at times. Still, there are some great moments during the battle (the whole Leia & Han scene at the bunker entrance, for example), and the effects throughout the battle still look impressive. On the whole this big battle is more thrilling than the battles in any of the prequels (although I enjoyed the battle scenes in the prequels too).

The bit with Luke and Leia in the Ewok village is quite touching (especially the part where Luke reveals he's Leia's brother), and I enjoyed the scene where Vader interrogates Luke in Endor ("Then my father is truly dead..." line and the chilling score in that scene still send shivers down my spine). The scenes with Vader, Luke and the Emperor are very interesting as well.

The high points in this movie are definitely the bit where Luke beats Vader up (the whole scene is just mind-blowing with that awesome choral tune playing in the background), the Emperor frying Luke and Vader redeeming himself (gotta love the powerful Force theme in that bit). The death of Vader is quite touching, as is the funeral pyre sequence. The chase through the Death Star II superstructure and the escape from the Reactor Core are still very thrilling (although it would've been interesting if Lando had died as was originally intended), and the ending is quite touching, although I'm not too fond of Lucas replacing Sebastian with Hayden as Anakin's ghost in the end of the 2004 edition of the movie.

Although The Empire Strikes Back remains my favourite Star Wars film in pretty much every area, I do think that the score by John Williams in Return of the Jedi gets really close to the musical brilliance of TESB score. Many of the old themes are reprised in awesome ways (particularly The Imperial March, the Rebel Fanfare and the Force theme), and we also get a bunch of new, cool themes such as The Emperor's Theme, The March of the Ewoks, and the beautiful Luke and Leia theme. There's a great mix of awesome battle cues in epic scope (such as the massive Battle of Endor with its various phases) and some memorable bits such as the touching Light of the Force. The soundtrack is a fine musical conclusion to the saga.

So yeah, all in all Return of the Jedi works as a movie and its score works too. There are some odd things in there that could've been better but as an overall movie it doesn't quite reach the brilliance of TESB but is still a solid, enjoyable movie. :)

Jowy
02-26-2007, 01:25 AM

WTP?!?!?

man EFF that that's so typical of star wars now....so glad i never saw that

what the hell? i never saw hayden christiansen cuase ive only seen the original versions instead of the remastered ones, can you watch these scenes on youtube or something?

Tried to youtube it but couldn't find anything. Anyway, in the DVD box set of the Holy Trilogy, they have Hayden Christiansen edited in alongside Obi-Wan and Yoda. It's pretty lame.

Araciel
02-26-2007, 01:45 AM
hayden christensen is lame...i shoulda played anakin

Ishin Ookami
02-26-2007, 07:22 AM
I think in terms of storytelling content and presentation values, ROTJ is ace. But in terms of script writing and acting, it has a wooden feel in a lot of scenes. It's an old gag but what was up with harrison fords beer belly in that film? So much for the theory that the Carbonite would keep him perfectly preserved. His performance was also the most wooden, and you could tell he didn't exactly want to be in this film by this point (when A New Hope first aired, he was relatively unknown. After Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner, and the first two star wars films, he pretty much had his pick of any role in hollywood). Most of the exchanges between Luke and Vader were kind of stiff, like the line that goes "I feel the conflict within you, let go of your hate." I often felt that it could have been written much better and natural sounding than that.

But overall it's pretty good, I still think ROTS, ANW, and ESB are the better films, but it's better overall than AOTC and PM.