PDA

View Full Version : The 79th Academy Awards

The Real Dark Messenger
02-26-2007, 05:59 AM
So, I just finished watching the Academy Show. It's about 6:30 here in Denmark, and I have to go to school in a minute, but just wanted to create this thread.

What did you guys think about the show?

Personaly, I was hoping that Denmark had taken home some of the awards they were nominated for, but I guess we'll have to try harder :(

On the other hand, I really think that Ellen did a great job hosting the show.

The Captain
02-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Marty finally got his Oscar, so I'm content.

Also, I think Will Ferrell should host next year.

Take care all.

XxSephirothxX
02-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Will Ferrell and Jack Black's song number was one of the best things I've ever seen at the Oscars. Really hilarious. There were a few awards that really pissed me off, though. Happy Feet for best animated film? What, did they decide Pixar had just won too many times? More than anything, though, was that Pan's Labyrinth beat Children of Men for cinematography. They were both good films, though I think Children of Men was better overall, and it sure as :skull::skull::skull::skull: had superior cinematography.

El Bandito
02-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Yeah Children of Men got robbed in cinematography. I also thought Eddie Murphy deserved the Supporting Actor nod. Other than those, everything else pretty much went as expected. I really dug that sound effects choir and the crazy shadow dancers were different in a good way.

Oh, and Jack Nicholson is really creepy as a bald guy.

RiseToFall
02-26-2007, 08:59 AM
-Scorsese got his Oscar

-The Departed won best picture

-Forest Whitaker took best actor

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Rusty
02-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Kate Winslet should of won Best Actress. Helen Mirren was my second favourite, she was brilliant in The Queen, but Kate is superb. I love it when the Americans don't win the major awards. Except for last year when Reese Witherspoon won.

Madame Adequate
02-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Kate Winslet should of won Best Actress. Helen Mirren was my second favourite, she was brilliant in The Queen, but Kate is superb. I love it when the Americans don't win the major awards. Except for last year wehn Reese Witherspoon won.

Is there any particular reason for this? Or are you just plain bigoted?

I'm happy Scorsese finally got his Oscar. Took them long enough, eh?

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-26-2007, 10:05 AM
I would have rather fancied seeing Kate Winslet win Best Actress aswell, but I'm pretty cool with where all the major awards went since I've more or less heard of everyone who scooped up in the acting categories. It's also about time John Williams won an Honorary award or something but I guess those only go to people who have been deprived for so long of any such success in the regular categories, and I swear the amount of Oscars going to black actors over the last five years is already more than the first 60

Breine
02-26-2007, 08:01 PM
It was an overall great show, and Ellen DeGeneres did a wonderful job as the host. I was generally pretty happy with the results, although I'd have liked to see Babel win for Best Picture.

...and Martin Scorsese finally got his oscar(!) - it sure has been a long time coming.

kikimm
02-27-2007, 12:12 AM
I was pretty bored while watching them, and left after I saw Hugh Jackman. I do agree with Azar and El Bandito about Children of Men, though. I thought for sure that it would take that award. It seemed so...obvious. And deserved. But whatever.

I'm also yay yay yay that The Departed won Best Movie. That was like, the one award that I really felt strong about. Nice. =)

GooeyToast
02-27-2007, 12:28 AM
And of course, all of the most worthy movies didn't win. Hell, The Fountain wasn't even nominated for anything, even Best Score. I honestly couldn't care less anymore about the awards.

ljkkjlcm9
02-27-2007, 02:04 AM
The Academy awards are retarded, because it's all about them giving eachother awards. I don't gave a damn about it because it's just a bunch of egotistical people boosting eachother up. They're friggin actors giving other actors awards. Why does that mean anything to me?

THE JACKEL

charliepanayi
02-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Well it's the same as most award ceremonies then really...

And honestly, did the person who complained about The Fountain being ignored really expect it to get any nominations/wins, especially considering it's partially 'sci-fi' in tone (which the Oscars hate) and that it was a resounding commercial (and to a lesser extent, critical) flop. Let's face it, you could go on for hours about films ignored by the Oscars that should have been recognised.

I still think it's decent fun seeing who wins, just so long as I don't actually watch through the whole thing..

Miriel
02-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Marty finally got his Oscar, so I'm content.

Me too! I knew that this would be his year. You can only rob a man so many times.

Also, I was really happy that Little Miss Sunshine won best original screenplay.

The only surprises to me was that Pan's Labyrinth lost best foriegn picture. I thought it was lock. Also, I thought for sure Cars would win. Especially over Happy Feet. =/

I love it when the Americans don't win the major awards. Except for last year wehn Reese Witherspoon won.

You do realize that the Academy Awards is an AMERICAN award show, right? I mean. The English have the BAFTAS, Australians have the AFI awards, the United States has the Academy Awards. It shouldn't be held against Americans that we just happen to have the most popular and prestigous film awards.

Rusty
02-28-2007, 01:43 AM
You guys took my comment the wrong way xD I jut meant it's great when other actors and actresses from other countries get recognised. The Oscars are the biggest film award show, so it's special to me when actresses like Helen Mirren or Nicole Kidman win. I have nothing against Americans.

Rocket Edge
02-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Will Ferrell and Jack Black's song number was one of the best things I've ever seen at the Oscars.
It was good alright, but they called Peter O'Toole english. :rolleyes2

I was disappointed not to see him pick up best actor.

GooeyToast
02-28-2007, 01:48 AM
Well it's the same as most award ceremonies then really...

And honestly, did the person who complained about The Fountain being ignored really expect it to get any nominations/wins, especially considering it's partially 'sci-fi' in tone (which the Oscars hate) and that it was a resounding commercial (and to a lesser extent, critical) flop. Let's face it, you could go on for hours about films ignored by the Oscars that should have been recognised.

I still think it's decent fun seeing who wins, just so long as I don't actually watch through the whole thing..

So was Marie Antionette, and that got nominated for Best Costumes. I knew it was never going to be nominated for anything, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have. And most critics reviews I have read found the music to be probably the best aspect of the film.

kikimm
02-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I was also quite surprised that The Fountain wasn't nominated for Best Score, when I'm pretty sure that it WAS for...Golden Globe? I think. I was expecting a nomination myself.

Besides, I'm sure other ":skull::skull::skull::skull:ty" movies have been nominated for awards like that in the past. GT gave an example. ;D Just cause it wasn't a necessarily successful movie doesn't mean that it doesn't have any Oscar-worthy qualities. I hope that made sense.

But I'm probably just biased, cause I love love loved The Fountain.

charliepanayi
02-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Well that is true about The Fountain, its score was highly praised - I will maybe then say that the Oscars are the people who gave a Best Song Oscar to Celine Dion - their musical tastes are really not to be trusted!

Miriel
02-28-2007, 08:39 AM
They also gave an oscar to Eminem. They're erratic like that.

Alcon
02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I was a little underwhelmed. I like Ellen DeGeneres fine. She's like a funny aunt. But she had a little trouble carrying the entire thing. Jon Stewart did a better job, and even he couldn't make it much of a show last time. But it was tolerable. Not painful or anything. I'd say it was closer to suckage than great, though.

But as long as Martin Scorsese got his Oscar, good won in the end, and that's what a good popcorn movie is all about.