PDA

View Full Version : Essays

Zeldy
02-26-2007, 09:10 PM
Ya' gotta hate them, no?
Or are you one of those people who actually do GOOD in them?
Do you leave them until the very last day?
What was the worst essay you ever had?

I decided Id write this thread so I didn't have to continue writing my Catcher in the Rye essay. :)
The worst essay I ever had was on Sherlock Holme's "The Hound of the Baskervilles" in which I got a D/C so I have to re-do it ;_;

Roto13
02-26-2007, 09:12 PM
I love writing essays, actually. :P I'm weird like that. I wrote an essay for a book but the book was canceled. Boo!

Sergeant Hartman
02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
That reminds me! :eek:

Chloe.
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I hate essays! :mad2:

I'm actually writing one right now. I decided to leave it to the last day of half term, as I usually do. :bigsmile: It doesn't have to be in till Wednesday anyway, so I might just leave it for tommorow. xD

Martyr
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I can't say that I like writing essays, but I'm decent at it.

My worst essay was when I was trying to write about Jane Austen.

I can't stand her work. I can't stand her. And, apparently, I cannot back up my hatred in appropriate essay format...

Zeldy
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I can't stand her work. I can't stand her. And, apparently, I cannot back up my hatred in appropriate essay format...
Exactly my thoughts atm. I cannot stand The Catcher in the Rye and so I have absoloutly no motivation to write three pages on it : D~

Yeargdribble
02-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't mind essays, and I'd say I'm fair at writing them. I let my opinions seep a lot though. If it's work that I really don't like, I adopt a nasty editorial style.

EDIT: Curious note: Both people who say they dislike essays wrote "essay's" (possessive).

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-26-2007, 09:21 PM
I am fairly decent at essays. I usually write them last minute and manage to do decent on them.

I tend to hate them when I have a few due at the same time or near the same time as other things like tests.

Rye
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm actually a pretty good essay writer, I think. I'm a procrastinator, so I always hate starting them, but once I get past the intro paragraph, I can write on and on and it's pretty enjoyable. :]

themagicroundabout
02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm supposed to be writing one now. It's weeks and weeeeks late. I hate doing essays. Though, when I do do them, I usually get pretty good grades. =]

Chloe.
02-26-2007, 09:39 PM
EDIT: Curious note: Both people who say they dislike essays wrote "essay's" (possessive).

Silly me. :p

This is exactly why I don't like them. xD

Tavrobel
02-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Essays are arguments! Therefore, they are gateways to information!

Faulty, most of them, but nonetheless, information!

Madame Adequate
02-26-2007, 09:46 PM
I am, as far as I can gather, the best in my class at writing essays, in every single class.

I prefer them greatly to exams and presentations. This does not translate into overtly liking them, but I certainly like them more than the alternatives.

The worst I've got at uni so far is 66, in politics. That's the only one I've got below a 1st, and was still (Again, as far as I'm aware - it's possible other people are doing better and I'm not being told) the best in the class.

I have a 1500 word piece due on the 13th of March, and a 1000 word piece and a 2000 word piece both due at the end of March.

I fully intend to be top of my class upon graduation, and with a double first at that.

Rye
02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
I am, as far as I can gather, the best in my class at writing essays, in every single class.

[...]

I fully intend to be top of my class upon graduation, and with a double first at that.

You can do it, Mr. HuxDDD. :]

XxSephirothxX
02-26-2007, 09:58 PM
I do not particularly enjoy essays, but there is a certain satisfaction one gains from mercilessly pummeling a topic into submission. Depending on the teacher I am writing for, my essays range from pretty decent to outstanding. In my freshman year of college I don't think I was writing papers much better than I was in AP Lit in high school, but I've gotten considerably better grades.

The comma in the title of this thread is painful. :p

Tavrobel
02-26-2007, 10:05 PM

That's an apostrophe.

Vikeve
02-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Ya' gotta hate them, no?

I decided Id write this thread so I didn't have to continue writing my Catcher in the Rye essay. :)
The worst essay I ever had was on Sherlock Holme's "The Hound of the Baskervilles" in which I got a D/C so I have to re-do it ;_;

I don't hate to do them either.
I do good on essays but I wouldn't say I'm the best in my classes even though I have been complimented on a lot.
Lately ive been getting out of the habit of waiting till the last second to do them but I still do that for book reports.
I can't remember what the book report was about but I do remember I had to re-do it a lot and it sucked.:mad:

Hazzard
02-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Essays...Essays...Essays...

I don't hate em, and i don't love em, but History essays are the worst!
I get good marks, but I'm just so lazy to do it-I leave it until the last day/last night and finally complete it in a rush job.
You see it's only history essays which bugger me, and my history teacher is very old fashion ( if ya get what i mean)

rubah
02-26-2007, 10:28 PM
I hate and also do well on them.

Shoeberto
02-26-2007, 10:31 PM
I hate them and do decent on them, usually an A or a B.

I see no purpose in them, however. They're the most bland, boring and pointless form of writing and there is seemingly no way to escape them as you go higher in your education.

Raistlin
02-26-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't mind essays in and of themselves, but I definitely don't like research papers. Which is ironic since I'm a Political Science/History double-major, and those two are very research-heavy departments. I had two ~15-page research papers last semester. I'm going to have two more to do this semester. History papers especially require massive numbers of citations. And they're all footnoted, so while it looks cool, it's more of a pain in the ass than easy parenthetical citations.

I'm pretty good at essays.

The worst essay I ever had was a 5-6 page paper on Aristotle's theory of government. It was only five pages, but required a ton of research and was a pain in the ass. My 10+ page essays have all been wide-open subjects so I got to write about something I'm actually interested in, so they haven't been bad.

Shiny
02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Ya' gotta hate them, no?
Essays are fun for me when I'm interested and passionate about the topic...otherwise, no.
Or are you one of those people who actually do GOOD in them? Yes. Most of the time. Especially last year when my lowest essay grade was an A.
Procrastination is key to my success, because pressure forces me to do something I otherwise have no interest in doing. xD
My essay on global warming during the 8th grade. I got a C+ and it was pretty bad. I basically didn't b.s. enough on it and had no interest in talking about something that's going to happen in approximately 100 years anyway.

Sergeant Hartman
02-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I would only like them if I got to choose what to write about.

Zeldy
02-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I would only like them if I got to choose what to write about.

Mhm, and not about a book. I hate the fact that I now have to FIND QUOTES to back my statements.

and can someone change the thread title to 'Essays' plz? :(

Bart's Friend Milhouse
02-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Ya' gotta hate them, no?
I believe I've seen the back of them

I've done several in my time and strangely enough they've been good when I needed them to be good (i.e. in the exam hall)

Never, two or three days at most

The ones in the exam about boring subjects such as "you are trying to write an informative passage to try and get people to donate money for a certain good cause". Also a couple of the questions in my economics GCE were pretty draining

Actually Catcher in the Rye is one of the few books I've read and I would have loved to have done an essay on it as opposed to rot that was the Withered Arm. Back then I didn't even wanna touch the book because I thought it was diseased or something

Cruise Control
02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm doing one right now. Five pages on Music Composition.

I like them, they are fun to write (when a bibliography isn't required), and I like to read them, because I come away with more info.

I do well, especially when I procrastinate. I haven't had a bad essay. But my best was a 10 page commentary on capital punishment.

Fonzie
02-26-2007, 11:06 PM
Once I had to make an Essay over an Essay :cry:

Sergeant Hartman
02-26-2007, 11:11 PM
I hate the fact that I now have to FIND QUOTES to back my statements.
To conclude, give your overall opinion of the book. State whether you liked it or not (use quotes).

"It was crap"

~End~

Araciel
02-26-2007, 11:17 PM
i never minded writing essays in school. and when on an exam i had the choice to write essay answers, i chose the essay.

since then i write stories, essays are too dry and confined most of the time, so i use stories as a platform for my ideas.

XxSephirothxX
02-26-2007, 11:22 PM

That's an apostrophe.
So it is. :shifty:

Tavrobel
02-27-2007, 12:34 AM

That's an apostrophe.
So it is. :shifty:

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Cruise Control
02-27-2007, 02:03 AM
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?The dichotomy of good and evil?

Spammerman
02-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Im actually supposed to be doing one right now.

Leen-Leen
02-27-2007, 02:18 AM
I like writing essays ,actually. As long as I'm not pressed for time, so I have to start early :P My old language arts teacher gave us something called 'in-class essay tests.' Like, she would give us 5 topics and we would need to prepare an outline for each one of them.

On the day of the test, she would pick a random topic and we would need to write an essay on it (on laptops) in like 50 minutes.

Ryth
02-27-2007, 02:20 AM
I've written only one real essay. The essay was on homosexuality and I got an A on it. It wasn't too terrible going through the writing of it, and my teacher praised me for it (and of course I wrote it on the night it was due).

Was a total wreck when doing the speech though. D:

Yamaneko
02-27-2007, 06:13 AM
I despise them insofar as they directly challenge my ineptness at time management. So I'll end up leaving them until the night before. Research papers are different. I will do the research far in advance and begin writing the paper (depending on the length) a week or two before it's due. Right now I'm currently done researching and began writing my 25+ page research paper on American religious views during the Revolutionary period in Russia, just prior to Lenin's New Economic Policy. I'm also devoting a small portion of the paper to the rural/urban dichotomy of Orthodox influence within Russia during this time since most of the primary literature in that field is in Russian.

So yeah, I enjoy typing and researching as long as I'm given time and its something that interests me. Response papers or prose just irritate me, though.

krissy
02-27-2007, 06:23 AM
pffft
wait till yuo have to write grant proposals

Resha
02-27-2007, 08:08 AM
I guess it won't really do for me to hate them, since I do three essay subjects (English, Drama, History). So I wind up having a lot of them to write :p and usually, well, I guess I do like it. It's difficult for me to get started on them, though, writer's block is always worst with the introduction. With enough coffee in my system I can splurge on and on and on and on though... I wish we had to do more coursework style papers where you have lots of time to write in without having to be "SUCCINT". I hate the exam constraints. :E

Slade
02-27-2007, 09:13 AM
I was always pretty good at writing essays so they didn't really bother me all that much. The only thing I found hard was the introduction, so I used to do that part last. When I did my art course, we had to do essays that were around 4000 words long, so you had to make sure you chose a topic that you could ramble about.

Jess
02-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't hate them and I usually do well in them, but I take forever to start them. :jess:

Martyr
02-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Actually, it is in my job description to write essays.

I wrote 3 of them today.