PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 getting killed off by Xbox 360/Wii as far as rpg's go?

Dragonsoul
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Let's discuss a battle between these three consoles for rpg supremacy. First off Xbox 360 came out a year earlier than the Wii and the Playstation 3. Let me show you something. Here are the rpg releases on the three consoles for each of the two seasons for a year. This includes what has come out so far plus an estimated Usa release date for what will come out. These upcoming release dates are my best estimates, and are for Usa, as are all the other releases that have come out already.

Fall 2005
Xbox 360: Nothing
Wii: Not out yet
Playstation 3: Not out yet

Spring 2006
Xbox 360: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Wii: Not out yet
Playstation 3: Not out yet

Fall 2006
Xbox 360: Enchanted Arms
Xbox 360: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Xbox 360: Phantasy Star Universe
Xbox 360: The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
Wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Playstation 3: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance(Also on Xbox 360 3.5 weeks earlier and Wii 2 days later, not super popular)
Playstation 3: Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom(Unpopular game, low reviews)

Spring 2007
Xbox 360: The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles
Xbox 360: Mass Effect
Xbox 360: Blue Dragon
Wii: Super Paper Mario
Playstation 3: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(w/ Knights of the Nine)(Already out on Xbox 360, which will get 2nd expansion pack 2 weeks later)
Playstation 3: Enchanted Arms(Also out on Xbox 360, not too popular, low reviews)

Fall 2007
Xbox 360: Eternal Sonata
Xbox 360: Fable 2
Wii: Dragon Quest Swords
Wii: Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Playstation 3: The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles(Already out on Xbox 360)

Spring 2008:
Xbox 360: Lost Odyssey
Xbox 360: Infinite Undiscovery
Wii: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Playstation 3: White Knight Story(Finally a reason to own a Playstation 3!)

Fall 2008:
Xbox 360: ?
Wii: ?
Playstation 3: Final Fantasy XIII
Playstation 3: Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Unknown 2008/2009 release dates:
Xbox 360: Cry On
Playstation 3: Unknown Realms)

------

Here is the overall Playstation 3 recent and upcoming rpg ensemble

Playstation 3: Marvel: Ultimate Alliance(Also on Xbox 360 3.5 weeks earlier and Wii 2 days later)
Playstation 3: Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom(Unpopular game)
Playstation 3: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(w/ Knights of the Nine)(Already out on Xbox 360, which will get 2nd expansion pack 2 weeks later)
Playstation 3: Enchanted Arms(Also out on Xbox 360)
Playstation 3: The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles(Already out on Xbox 360)
Playstation 3: White Knight Story(Finally a reason to own a Playstation 3!)
Playstation 3: Final Fantasy XIII(I will buy a Playstation 3 for this!)
Playstation 3: Final Fantasy Versus XIII(I will buy a Playstation 3 for this!)

The first Playstation 3 exclusive rpg that is very high quality is White Knight Story, which comes out in Spring 2008, a year and a half after the Playstation 3's launch. By the way the Xbox 360 is established over the PS 3 as far as The Elder Scrolls IV go. I mean that it is already out with an expansion pack, and when the PS 3 gets it out with that expansion pack, the Xbox 360 will release the 2nd expansion pack two weeks later. White Knight Story, which I consider the first real rpg reason to own a PS 3, comes out in Spring 2008, but in the meantime people will be getting Xbox 360 and Wii for...

Xbox 360(6!):
The Elder Scrolls IV: (Oblivion, Knights of the Nine, The Shivering Isles)
Mass Effect
Blue Dragon
Fable 2
Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery

Wii(4 games!):
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

So with PS 3 at one great console exclusive rpg from launch till Spring 2008 the score is this...

Xbox 360: 6
Wii: 4
Playstation 3: 1

How did we get from the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 being by far the dominant rpg consoles to the Playstation 3 losing by far the console rpg war? How did the Playstation 3 fall so far behind in the rpg release schedule compared to the Xbox 360 and Wii, who are releasing tons of top rpg's already. Please post your thoughts on this topic? :)

Slothy
02-26-2007, 09:44 PM
RPG's in general don't win console wars (with the exception of FF), and whether or not it's falling behind the competition is a matter of taste. I personally have little to no interest in the RPG's you listed for the 360 and Wii. The PS3 list looks far better for my own taste just based on two FF's and White Knight Story.

Dragonsoul
02-26-2007, 09:51 PM
For your own taste, are you sure you don't like Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery(Developed by Tri-Ace, who makes Star Ocean/Radiata Stories/Valkyrie Profile). Anyways, I like to hear your further thoughts on this topic. I believe that for console rpg gamers in general that by the time Playstation 3 finally comes out with White Knight Story, the gamers will already have a Xbox 360 and Wii. I'm thinking that after Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out that I am not sure that Final Fantasy XIV or nothing much else too big will come out for Playstation 3 usually. They may have some stuff, but I am wondering if developers will start leaving for Xbox 360 and Wii.

How loyal to Playstation 3 will be developers like Tri-Ace, Monolith Software, Nippon Ichi, Square Enix, Namco Tales Studio, Wild Arms studio, Suikoden studio, and other stuff I wonder. I know that Tri-Ace is doing Infinite Undiscovery for the Xbox 360. What are the other developers plans I wonder?

:)!!!

Dreddz
02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
I see it pretty equal between the 360 and the PS3. The 360 is getting both Blue Dragon and Mass Effect, and the PS3 is getting White Knight Story, FFXIII and Versus. Theres not many RPG's on the Wii that intrest me. Out of all the upcoming games, White Knight Story intrests me the most.

I'd say no one is getting killed, at the moment anyway.

Dragonsoul
02-26-2007, 10:05 PM
You mean it's close to equal in your own opinion I believe? For me it's Xbox 360 dominating, for my own personal opinion. But I also believe that in general, for everybody's opinion that Xbox 360 will be the more dominant one, although not necessarily dominant.

Basically right at this moment I am thinking that Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII had better be great and the Playstation 3 wants to keep the console exclusive support of all those top 2006 PS 2 developers that I listed.

By the way, is there any tactical game coming up for any of the three consoles besides Fire Emblem for the Wii? Oh I remember now, Makai Wars is being developed by Nippon Ichi for Playstation 3. I don't know if Square Enix will release any tactical rpg for PS 3. I dont' know if there will be any Ogre games coming out. Is Nippon Ichi basically the only company that releases console tactical rpg's in recent years? I mean besides Front Mission 3/4 for PS 2 by Square Enix.

Dreddz
02-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Atlus
Nippon Ichi
Nival Interactive
Sega
Square Enix
Working Designs

They have all made tactical RPG's in the last decade.

EDIT - Forgot Monolith Soft, they made Namco X Capcom. While not released outside Japan, it was an awesome tactical RPG.

Dragonsoul
02-26-2007, 10:36 PM
Great post! Let's talk more specifically about developers. I believe that Working Designs only published games that other people had developed, such as Lunar and Alundra 1.

Right now the Usa tactical rpg developers that I am familiar with are Nippon Ichi and Square Enix. :)

UltimaMasamune
02-27-2007, 06:24 PM
whoa I thought that EoFF is console wars free, I guess I was wrong

PS3 is also getting

Monster Hunter 3
Shin Megami Tensei
Makai Wars (made by Nippon Ichi)
Angel Rings

anyway , you do realize that console RPGs take a long time to make right

JKTrix
02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't think it's so much of a 'Console Brand Loyalty' with RPGs. When it gets down to it, they want their game to sell. They will likely develop for whatever console has the highest possibility of a lot of people buying it.

Unless the RPG is boasting awesome graphics and stuff that clearly needs to use oodleflops of power, they wouldn't immediately gravitate to a PS3 or 360 unless they have the largest possibility of buyers. We will likely be seeing RPGs still coming for some time on the PS2, and there's a possibility that a lot of smaller folks will support the Wii if it becomes very popular.

Madame Adequate
02-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Atlus
Nippon Ichi
Nival Interactive
Sega
Square Enix
Working Designs

They have all made tactical RPG's in the last decade.

EDIT - Forgot Monolith Soft, they made Namco X Capcom. While not released outside Japan, it was an awesome tactical RPG.

Konami made Vandal Hearts II (1999) and Suikoden Tactics (2005) in the last ten years. It might also be of interest that Konami are apparently working on a VH for the DS, although there's no info on whether it's a remake or new game.

Roto13
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
oodleflops

Must... steal... word....

Yew-Yevon
02-28-2007, 06:25 AM
360 may have lots more RPGs. But there being made by ppl who think that roleplay is not in part of a moving story. Most of the xbox rpgs i'v played were bland and watered down with very little to realy offer. Yes they're learning...but it's taking time and Rpgs made by square and konami don't seem to be on the (Now Vista compadible) 360. But the above have a point, RPG's don't win a counsole war. Some are still playing everquest online adventures on the PS2!

Dragonsoul
02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
whoa I thought that EoFF is console wars free, I guess I was wrong

PS3 is also getting

Monster Hunter 3
Shin Megami Tensei
Makai Wars (made by Nippon Ichi)
Angel Rings

anyway , you do realize that console RPGs take a long time to make right

Cool! I know they take a while to make. But PS 3 came out 2 days before the Wii, and Wii I believe is selling and will continue to sell in the next 12 months more rpg's. Top Wii rpgs in this time: (Zelda, Super Paper Mario, Dragon Quest Swords, FF CC: The CB). Put that up against Ps 3's top rpgs in this timeframe: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(w/ Knights of the Nine), The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles, and White Knight Story. If you put in Xbox 360 top rpg's from Fall 2006 to Spring 2008 we have: The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine, The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Fable 2, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery. So in this Fall 2006 through Spring 2008 we have...

Xbox 360:(7 huge releases!)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Knights of the Nine
The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles
Mass Effect
Blue Dragon
Fable 2
Lost Odyssey
Infinite Undiscovery

Wii:(4 huge releases!)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
Dragon Quest Swords
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Playstation 3:(3 huge releases, but 2 already out on Xbox 360, which makes 1 huge console exclusive top rpg release)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion(w/Knights of the Nine)(already out on Xbox 360 & PC)
The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles(will already be out on Xbox 360 & PC)
White Knight Story(first great console exclusive rpg for PS 3)

I'd say the score is 7-4-3 for Xbox 360, Wii, and PS 3 based on that list. Although PS 3 could probably be adjusted to only 2 points since Xbox 360 got the Elder Scrolls stuff first. I only listed the top rpg releases for the three systems in Fall 2006 through Spring 2008. Xbox 360 had a head start with their release of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and their port of Final Fantasy XI(w/3 expansion packs). I'm going to pick up a Playstation 3 for FF XIII and FF V XIII, and possibly for White Knight Story. I know that rpg's alone don't win console wars, but this topic I made was meant to focus EXCLUSIVELY on the "CONSOLE RPG WAR" not the "CONSOLE WAR".

Please continue posting! :)

Mirage
02-28-2007, 08:41 PM
How did we get from the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 being by far the dominant rpg consoles to the Playstation 3 losing by far the console rpg war?
We? If anyone, Sony are the ones losing it, not the customers.

It's simple: If you think the 360 has more interesting games, then get a 360 instead of a PS3. You'll save few hundred bucks by doing so aswell!

Who buys a console based on which company made it? Who manufactures the hardware is irrelevant, games are what makes a system.

MecaKane
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
What good RPGs came out for PSX or PS2 in their first years?

Dragonsoul
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
How did we get from the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 being by far the dominant rpg consoles to the Playstation 3 losing by far the console rpg war?

It's simple: If you think the 360 has more interesting games, then get a 360 instead of a PS3. You'll save few hundred bucks by doing so aswell!

Who buys a console based on which company made it? Who manufactures the hardware is irrelevant, games are what makes a system.

Yea I know that Sony is responsible for losing the console war, of course. I know that the games and not the console manufacturers name is more important. My question more specifically is how did Sony end up not having as many great console exclusive top rpg's being released for it in it's first 18-24 months of existence? This seems interesting to me. I remember Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 seemed to have more, not sure though.

What good RPGs came out for PSX or PS2 in their first years?

Rpgamer.com release calendar
Playstation 1, Usa
11-1-96, Suikoden
12-?-96, Persona
5-20-97, Wild Arms
6-1-97, Ogre Battle
6-1-97, Vandal Hearts
9-7-97, Final Fantasy VII
10-2-97, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
1-8-98, Alundra 1
1-27-98, Final Fantasy Tactics
3-24-98, Saga Frontier
5-1-98, Tactics Ogre
5-14-98, Breath of Fire 3
9-10-98, Parasite Eve
9-30-98, Tales of Destiny
10-21-98, Xenogears
11-11-98, Brave Fencer Musashi

Playstation 2, Usa
5-29-01, Dark Cloud
12-13-01, Shadow Hearts
12-18-01, Final Fantasy X
1-22-02, Grandia 2
9-17-02, Kingdom Hearts
10-15-02, Wild Arms 3
10-22-02, Suikoden 3

Those are for the first 24 months basically for each console. Not all of those games you may consider very top rpgs but my thought is that in my point of view and style I think PS 1 and PS 2 have more success in the first 18-24 months with top console exclusive rpg's than PS 3 is having/will have.

Please post more on this topic! :)

Mirage
02-28-2007, 09:23 PM

Yea I know that Sony is responsible for losing the console war, of course. I know that the games and not the console manufacturers name is more important. My question more specifically is how did Sony end up not having as many great console exclusive top rpg's being released for it in it's first 18-24 months of existence? This seems interesting to me. I remember Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 seemed to have more, not sure though.
The high price and overconfidence put off many customers, I'd say. And they're not doing much to fix that.

Dragonsoul
02-28-2007, 10:12 PM
$499 and $599 is pretty high. Xbox 360 is $299/$399 and the new Zephyr Xbox 360(Black, 120gb hard drive, Hdmi support) coming out on May 1st(?) will be $479. The Wii is only $250 I think, or $299.

The Xbox 360 doesn't include a HD DVD Drive, good thing probably because that would increase it's price to a higher level. The games are on dvd's. If you want to watch hd dvd's, buy an accessory for it. Maybe the Playstation 3 should have put their games on Dvd's, and put out a Blu-Ray drive accessory. How much lower would the price for PS 3 be if they did this? Maybe they would be similar in price to Xbox 360?

MecaKane
02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Wait, you're going 18 to 24 months here?
Cripes, tons of games that'll be out then aren't announced right now.

Dragonsoul
02-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Yes, but the ratio of announced to unannounced so far games should be similar for each console. :)