PDA

View Full Version : Would the Black belt suck if he could counter attack

The black mage
02-27-2007, 07:31 PM
In ff5 the Monk can counter attack. Now if the BB could counter attack. would he still suck, or would be nearly as usefull as the fighter.
Or should he be given low levals of Black/white magic when he is a master, (like the Ninja get low levles of black magic, kind of like an demi BM, which would make him a demi RM).
Yes i know that Sock monkey had been saying this for a while. Thats where the inspration for this came from.

Crossblades
02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Monks(Black Belts) do not suck. He's very useful in my party and hits almost as hard as the Warrior(Fighter). Having counter attack is nice, but he's still useful without it. Then again, I've only played and beaten the DoS version, so I don't know how different the Monk is in these versions.

If the gap is huge, ignore my post:p

Martyr
02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Instead of being utterly useless, the BB would be a suicide attacker.

Still not too much better than a lv. 3 Black mage.

Frostwake
02-27-2007, 08:59 PM
BB does the highest damage in the game... wtf are you talking about? He sucks because he is totally unfun + looks horrible, not because he lacks something

Martyr
02-27-2007, 09:07 PM
BB does the highest damage in the game...

At levels 30 and up.

The game is easily beaten at lv. 25, when a Knight is doing equal or better damage with the Xcalibur.

Couple that with the fact that BB has the same defense as a mage, and he's suddenly about equal in usefulness with a Ninja or RM. Factor that in with that he doesn't know any magic at all, can't cast FAST, can't raise the dead or heal, and he's suddenly the least valuable character in the game.

sockmonkey
02-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Cool, I inspired a thread.:cool:

If you think about it, countering would be great when fighting big groups of enemies. A BB could possibly wipe out a whole group in one round by himself.