PDA

View Full Version : Why hello there....I have no idea who you are

Bahamut2000X
02-27-2007, 11:09 PM
So not too long ago while on AIM I got a text from a familiar screen name, yet it wasn't on my buddy list and I couldn't recall who it could be talking with me as if they knew me, but of course they did as they asked if I was still working my current job and such. So after some awkward minutes of casual conversation and trying to not reveal I had no idea who they were let alone where I knew them from they had to leave. The whole time I was just thinking of Seinfeld quips to use as I know there's been this situation in that series at least once.

So have you ever had someone who you apparently knew yet couldn't remember for the life of you suddenly come out of no where and begin talking with you and just carry on as if you remembered them?

Araciel
02-27-2007, 11:17 PM
hell no... people think i look familiar, and i'm notoriously bad with names, but faces i remember quite well. if i don't know someone, i make it clear.

Misfit
02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah, all the time... but I always say "WHO ARE YOU?" then carry on the conversation. :]~

Leen-Leen
02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
xD yeah. The people in my AIM buddy list have lots of different screen names, so I can't keep up with which one they are currently using. And sometimes I just forget. But I ask who they are and usuuallly they reply.

Cruise Control
02-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Nope, I frequently reduce my buddy list, I can keep 24 people straight.

But yeah, I just chat on while playing "place the face".

escobert
02-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah, all the time... but I always say "WHO ARE YOU?" then carry on the conversation. :]~

yup.

LunarWeaver
02-28-2007, 12:20 AM
I use MSN and log on as "offline" at first. Anybody who requests an add I do add, but if I can't figure out who it is by scanning forums n' such I just block them and they remain that way usually forever.

It's not a mean thing, I swear! I'm actually pretty shy with that stuff and I don't want to talk with someone I might not know very well :aimblush:. My weirdness is just a huge cover up for all the nerves and eyetwitches and occasional ulcers my shyness gives me.

Phew, anyway...That keeps me out of this situation.

Roto13
02-28-2007, 12:45 AM
This is why I keep chat logs.

Absconditus_Oraculum
02-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Lots of these times. I just talk to so many people online. Usualy I just end up asking them who they are. A few times both of us had no clue who the other was and spent the whole night trying to figure it out.

Leeza
02-28-2007, 12:56 AM
It happens to me all the time and they're the ones who have invited me to be on their list and not the other way around. I stopped telling them who I am, but usually I just don't respond. I really should prune my list.

dodhungry
02-28-2007, 01:02 AM
I had this happen on FFXI just recently. Some dude gave me a /tell and I had no idea who he was. It was about five minutes of just chitchat before I finally had to ask where I knew him from. He said he remembered me helping him over 7 months ago! :eek:

Bahamut2000X
02-28-2007, 01:43 AM
A few times both of us had no clue who the other was and spent the whole night trying to figure it out.

That happened once. Some guy IMed me because I was on his list, we lived in separate states, that neither had ever been too, he never went to forums, took us a few hours but our final conclusion was we knew each other from Star Craft like 6 years previous to the conversation. I thought it was a rather amusing event.

Loony BoB
02-28-2007, 10:03 AM
It happens on AIM a fair amount of times, yeah. I have people on that list I added years ago and it annoys me that they don't reflect the individual's usernames in EoFF at all. I have to add comments on them so I can remember who's who, and even then I don't always remember. Oh well, I'm never that chatty lately anyhow.

Peegee
02-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Sometimes. But I just act like I know them. It's not a big deal. Sometimes they're alts (this happens most often on world of warcraft).

What was the screen-name, if I may ask? That is, if the person might be from EoFF.

Bunny
02-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I talk to two people online on any sort of regular occasion. The others on my list are an ocassional matter. I have somehow managed to drive a void between myself and everyone else I know, so they don't message me at all.

Iceglow
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
anyone I don't know on msn/aim I just ask "hey who the hell are ya? I don't know the address" if they take offence and block me then well I don't mind sorry if you add someone be prepared to explain who you are if they ask it's not like everyone has an AIM/MSN address/screenname that reflects who they are perfectly.