PDA

View Full Version : PC FPS vs Console FPS

PyroManiak
02-28-2007, 04:56 AM
Will unreal tournament 2007 be able to compete with xbox 360/ps3 shooting games or will consoles slaughter?

krissy
02-28-2007, 05:32 AM
im only seeing the wiimote even beginning to compete with mouse controls for fps'ers

Nominus Experse
02-28-2007, 05:53 AM
Keyboard+Mouse=

BOOM! Head shot!

Rase
02-28-2007, 05:54 AM
im only seeing the wiimote even beginning to compete with mouse controls for fps'ers
I don't know about others, but I had a far harder time trying to control Red Steel and Call of Duty 3 than I ever had with a console FPS.

Anyway, I have trouble seeing the controls of a PC being surpassed by any console when it comes to FPS's, at least for this console generation.

Yew-Yevon
02-28-2007, 06:14 AM
uh...you made this thread knowing full well that UnReal 2007 is coming to PS3 right?

Samuraid
02-28-2007, 07:33 AM
Keyboard+Mouse=

BOOM! Head shot!
Couldn't have said it any better. :)

Mirage
02-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Just to let you know, all consoles have CPUs too, so your thread title is pretty nonsensical. I think the word you're looking for is "PC".

Mouse+keyboard for the win.

Slothy
02-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Unless you connect a keyboard and mouse to your 360 or PS3, consoles will never be able to compete with PC a PC FPS. That said, with 3 USB ports in the 360, and 4 in the PS3, there's no reason developers can't offer keyboard and mouse support for their games as an option. Hopefully more of them wise up in the future.

Mirage
02-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Yes, there is a reason. Developers won't bother spending a lot of extra time programming in support for something that most players won't have access to.

Roto13
02-28-2007, 12:37 PM
If not an FPS, I bet the Wii could do an awesome third person shooter. Currently, nothing beats a PC for FPS games.

Madame Adequate
02-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Halo, TimeSplitters, and Red Faction all did pretty damn well on consoles.

Craig
02-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Um, well I had alot of fun playing Halo on my PC. :)

JKTrix
02-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Ever hear of Shadowrun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_%282007_video_game%29#Console_vs._PC_Game)?

PC and 360 gamers playing with and against each other. Should be interesting seeing how that works out.

As for UT'07, it's a much better twitch shooter for PCs. If the console versions have enough tweaks to them, it could be great, but it wouldn't be 'the same' game.

Slothy
02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Yes, there is a reason. Developers won't bother spending a lot of extra time programming in support for something that most players won't have access to.

I really doubt that keyboard and mouse support would be budget breaking when it comes to developing a game. If more console FPS's supported it, I bet you'd see more people buying a USB keyboard and mouse for their consoles to be honest. I know I would, and maybe then I'd actually buy a few more console FPS's.

Yamaneko
02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
There are certain FPSs that play better (online) on the PC side mainly because they were primarily designed for the keyboard+mouse control and because they require much more precision in their aiming. Nothing, not even the Wiimote, has per-pixel accuracy like a keyboard+mouse do. Why do you think CS failed on the Xbox? There are certain FPSs out there where the key to becoming competent is burst-firing at the head and then quickly spinning around in mid-air to spray at the ground and get kills. Then you have the console side where the Halo model works and excels. Sticky-aim, aim-assist, and lower gravity make up for the slowness and overall lack of accuracy that comes with using the dual analog sticks.

From what I've read about Shadowrun is that the control scheme and gameplay mechanics are tilted in favor of the console gamer because certain features like mouse sensitivity are locked in within certain parameters.

While I enjoy playing single-player campaigns on either the PC or consoles (with the console benefiting from a more relaxed playstyle), I could never really play a console FPS onlne seriously. I want to know that all my kills are legitimate because I placed the reticle over the guy's head and blew him away, not that there's some aim-assist going on in the background which compensates for the lack of accuracy in the control scheme.

ReloadPsi
02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
The right analogue stick is not a mouse, no matter how much the developers try to pretend.

Dreddz
02-28-2007, 08:15 PM
I'd pick M&K every time. That said, there have been alot more enjoyable FPS on consoles than on the PC in the last few years in my opinion. The only PC shooters I really digged were Deus Ex and Half Life actually.

MecaKane
02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
PC hands down.

Shoeberto
02-28-2007, 10:59 PM
There are people who will say endlessly that gamepads are better, but I'd really like to see a game that puts the two styles against each other. People may prefer one over the other, but you can't really beat keyboard and mouse.

Markus. D
02-28-2007, 11:21 PM
I like the console shooters n_n;

XxSephirothxX
02-28-2007, 11:45 PM
There are people who will say endlessly that gamepads are better, but I'd really like to see a game that puts the two styles against each other. People may prefer one over the other, but you can't really beat keyboard and mouse.
Like this? (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/23/shadowrun-keyboard-versus-controller-in-the-final-battle/)

Would I try to argue that, ultimately, a keyboard and mouse is more accurate than a controller? No. But I think keyboards are really fucking annoying for shooters. The uniformity of the buttons and their flatness bothers me tremendously. I don't want my fingers slipping off four tiny keys while I'm trying to move and stretch my hand in a weird way to crouch or jump or activate a door or something. I think controllers are much, much better.

EDIT: And by more I meant less. I know a mouse is more accurate than a controller, but I still don't prefer it!

Cruise Control
02-28-2007, 11:47 PM
I like consoles. Azar sums it up nicely.

Slothy
03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
But I think keyboards are really smurfing annoying for shooters. The uniformity of the buttons and their flatness bothers me tremendously. I don't want my fingers slipping off four tiny keys while I'm trying to move and stretch my hand in a weird way to crouch or jump or activate a door or something. I think controllers are much, much better.

Maybe it's just my more than a decade long experience with the PC FPS, but I don't have that problem. In fact, I find it easier than on a console since I can move, aim, and shoot, while still reaching almost any other control in the game. The only thing that annoys me more than shoddy aiming in a console FPS is the tendency for developers to put vital functions, including attacks, on the face buttons or d-pad, requiring me to either stop aiming, or moving to press them. This is death in just about any FPS.

EDIT: I realize most on here don't have a PS3, however I think this (http://gear.ign.com/articles/769/769529p1.html) article is worth mentioning within the context of this thread. I'm not normally one for bothering with third party controllers, particularly specialized ones like this, but this may be just what my console loving self has been looking for all these years for enjoying console FPS games. If it's half as good as it sounds it'll be worth the purchase for me.

Odaisé Gaelach
03-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Keyboard+Mouse=

BOOM! Head shot!

Bingo. A mouse is far more responsive and accurate than any analogue stick.

Shoeberto
03-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Like this? (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/23/shadowrun-keyboard-versus-controller-in-the-final-battle/)

From what I've read about Shadowrun is that the control scheme and gameplay mechanics are tilted in favor of the console gamer because certain features like mouse sensitivity are locked in within certain parameters.

When I said that, I had in mind a game that gave the same setup to both ends, not one that tries to balance in by locking in the control schemes.

Mirage
03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm going to bet that "balancing" Shadowrun means giving it the "right" amount of auto-aim :p.

KentaRawr!
03-04-2007, 09:32 PM
Maybe when developers find a better FPS set-up for the Wii, but currently, consoles just can't compete with PC's when it comes to FPS.

Discord
03-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Nope, FPS without keyboard and mouse are like flight sims without a joystick. I like the idea of Wii FPS, but really, we've had things like pistols you aim at the TV screen before and they're weren't really that great either.

I'm wondering when they'll implement that technology of cursor control via thought. That could be a worthy opponent to keyboard/mouse. Thought it'll probably take another 10 - 15 years before those things become accessible to the average gamers.

Dreddz
03-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Nope, FPS without keyboard and mouse are like flight sims without a joystick. I like the idea of Wii FPS, but really, we've had things like pistols you aim at the TV screen before and they're weren't really that great either.

I dont see why people have the idea that the Wii will be good with FPS. Have you lot even played Red Steel ? Yes, I know I shouldnt use an admittedly bad game as an example, but the mechanics to the game are pretty much how all FPS on the Wii will be structured. And it isnt mind-blowing by any means, using the Wii remote to aim isnt impossible, but its still difficult, as the accuracy is never going to compete with a controller. That, along with concentrating on moving with the nunchuk makes it a very frustrating experience.

KentaRawr!
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM

I dont see why people have the idea that the Wii will be good with FPS. Have you lot even played Red Steel ? Yes, I know I shouldnt use an admittedly bad game as an example, but the mechanics to the game are pretty much how all FPS on the Wii will be structured. And it isnt mind-blowing by any means, using the Wii remote to aim isnt impossible, but its still difficult, as the accuracy is never going to compete with a controller. That, along with concentrating on moving with the nunchuk makes it a very frustrating experience.

Well, I can answer why people think the Wii will be good for that. Super hype. Now, of course, that's not to say aiming is teh sux with the Wii. I find mini-games and so such that require aiming to be very easy and quick when played with the Wii Remote. However, the main problem is turning. Aiming at anything on screen is fine, but you can't just say "Oh, we're gonna make the Wii Remote work like a computer mouse with the FPS." It just doesn't work. Something to be defined as "free-hand" should not be relied on for something that must be done in a split-second. To make turning feel more natural, it's slowed down in currently available FPS's, but that just sucks. If anything, turning and looking 'round should be set the the Analog Stick Attachment, where a slight movement of your THUMB can turn your character. It would take some getting used to, but it would at least keep the Wii Remote, if you find it more comfortable. Of course, at that point, you may as well replace the Wii Remote with a light-gun. :p

Discord
03-05-2007, 12:41 AM
I barely see a point in making "the turning" look more natural by slowing it down. I mean, how natural is the fact that your character can run with a 5 kg automatic rifle, 6 x 30 bullet magazines, 4 frags, a 9mm pistol with additional 4 x 8 bullet magazines and a torch from maglite(c) for 30 minutes?

I think that the attempt of Operation Flashpoint, or ArmA, was a good one, by making the gun and the view slightly detached, but once again, that made the game good ten times harder, thus resulting in that function being turned off right after adjusting the graphics.

Now back to the topic, I think that FPS could be interesting on Wii because of the more recent features included. For example close combat or frag throwing. Of course the actual shooting bit would be miserable as usual, but it could be compensated by other features that do not work so well with the mouse/keyboard.

PS: Note that I never said that Wii was good for FPS.

PyroManiak
03-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Just to let you know, all consoles have CPUs too, so your thread title is pretty nonsensical. I think the word you're looking for is "PC".

Mouse+keyboard for the win.

wtf..i did use the word pc

Fatal Impurity
03-07-2007, 07:52 AM
I think M&K are definately more accurate but console controllers this added accuracy with better function placement and more confortable controls. Trying to crouch whilst shooting on PC Halo is hell but with the Xbox its just a analogue stick impression away. Its the same with alot PC FPS's such as UT... where fiddling around trying to press the CTRL button will cause instant death (even quicker than with Halo) due to the pace of the game.

Slothy
03-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I think M&K are definately more accurate but console controllers this added accuracy with better function placement and more confortable controls. Trying to crouch whilst shooting on PC Halo is hell but with the Xbox its just a analogue stick impression away. Its the same with alot PC FPS's such as UT... where fiddling around trying to press the CTRL button will cause instant death (even quicker than with Halo) due to the pace of the game.

How exactly? When I play an FPS my pinky never leaves the ctrl key unless it's to hit shift so I can sprint. The beauty of the mouse and keyboard setup is that you can map the commands to any key you want, putting every major gameplay function within easy reach of your hand without having to move away from movement or other important controls.

Yew-Yevon
03-07-2007, 05:08 PM
theres an atachment that lets you use a keybord and mouse on the xbox. (it plugs into the controler.) I dont know where to get it though.

forevergamer
03-14-2007, 10:23 AM
i think they have to think of a good controller to make it work.for now,the pc is still hte best for FPS.

Been a gamer since,been a gamer still...

Captain Maxx Power
03-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Keyboard+Mouse=

BOOM! Head shot!

Quoted for truth.

Slothy
03-14-2007, 08:41 PM
i think they have to think of a good controller to make it work.for now,the pc is still hte best for FPS.

Although I did edit this into an earlier post of mine I'll post it outright in case anyone missed it. This shows promise: http://gear.ign.com/articles/769/769529p1.html