PDA

View Full Version : Too complicated

LunarWeaver
02-28-2007, 09:03 PM
I remember reading a very long time ago from who-knows-where that Final Fantasy V didn't get localized around its initial release because then it was thought to be too complicated for Western folk. Scanning about Wikipedia as the nerd I am, I was reminded of that when I came across this concerning why it took until the Playstation days to get released elsewhere:

Translator Ted Woolsey explained in a 1994 interview, "it's just not accessible enough to the average gamer."[30] Plans were later made to release the game in 1995 as "Final Fantasy Extreme," targeting it at "the more experienced gamers [who] loved the complex character building." For unknown reasons, Final Fantasy Extreme never materialized either.

I don't get it...What's so complicated about FFV's job system? Surely the plot isn't a riddle nobody can solve, so that must be what the riff-raff is all about.

If I was the age I am now back then, as many gamers were, it would not have been complicated at all. Does Japan just think we're retarded or something? Did anybody actually find this game "not accessible" :Oo:.

Edit: I also love how they considered bringing it over as "Final Fantasy Extreme". I MUST BUY ANYTHING WITH EXTREME IN THE NAME!1!!1!!!111

Bunny
02-28-2007, 09:11 PM
We al dum.

Mirage
02-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Far easier than learning how to junction and set up good gambits :p

Bahamut2000X
02-28-2007, 09:20 PM
It's probably because the majority of all games, and any popular ones at the time were action based in some way more so then RPG. So in short I think it was just Square think Americans were too dumb.

Though I dunno why they thought it was too confusing, there were other RPG's released that were WAY more complicated I thought. Like Ultima 6 and 7 and Arcana.

Kefka_Almighty
03-01-2007, 05:01 AM
If you really want to know what Square thought of America's intelligence when it came to RPGs, Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was supposedly referred to as Final Fantasy USA.

Yeah, I think that shows how highly they thought of us during the SNES age...

Mavander
03-01-2007, 05:48 AM
Well, actually the job system CAN get a little cofusing, when you get to chose the best... and also what ability give to who. I had a little problem with it around Mua forest.

Paul
03-01-2007, 10:08 AM
it's just the fact that there were no mainstream RPGs in the west. you think you americans had it bad? FF7 was the first game thought worthy of europe!! we didn't get the other six, or chrono trigger, or xenogears or any other number of classics.

if you consider that they made an easier version of FF4 for the USA, it's easy to see how they didn't make an FF5 at all, it's much, much more complicated than FF4. i'm not saying it shouldn't have been released tho...

KasaiDraco
03-11-2007, 10:08 PM
The Japanese think we're retarded because most of them are geniuses, for our standards!

Mirage
03-11-2007, 10:19 PM
No, they thought that because they were prejudiced, not because they were geniuses.

Takara
03-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Wasn't it actually the American division of Square that decided which games would be released or not?

Mirage
03-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Good point. Maybe Americans are prejudiced against their own people?

Takara
03-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Either that, or they decided not to release it because of Faris. The truth was so shocking that them censors were all "OMG WE MUST THINK OF TEH CHILDREN!!!!!11!!1".

Mirage
03-11-2007, 11:00 PM
they could just have changed every instance of "he" before that ship graveyard scene to "she". No one would notice any difference.

Bolivar
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't say they're prejudiced as much as focused on what would sell and what wouldn't.

You have to remember that at the time, RPG's (there's exceptions of course) didn't have a whole lot of customization, characters basically had one function, this is a time coming off of the heels of Final Fantasy IV. If you look at FFVI it was the same way, except they stepped it up a little bit with customization with 2-accessories/equipping espers.