PDA

View Full Version : I like the new script

Flying Mullet
03-01-2007, 02:20 PM
I know I've read my fair share of "Blasphemy, they've changed the script!" posts, but I've actually enjoyed the new script so far. It's picked up on a lot of the nuances that Woolsey's original localization missed.

For example, when the group is walking through Narshe to protect the esper:

Celes:     So you were born with the power of Magic!? Isn't it a lovely gift...
Terra:     You... can use Magic, too?
Celes:     When I was a baby I was artificially infused with Magic, and raised as a Magitek Knight.
Terra:     Have you... loved anyone?
Celes:     ??? What's that supposed to mean?

Celes:     Terra... Who'd have thought we'd meet again...like this?
Terra:     You can use magic, too...can't you? But...it's different from mine.
Celes:     I was raised to be an Imperial Magitek knight. When I was still very young, I was artifically infused with magic.
Terra:     ...Is it possible for you to love other people?
Celes:     ...? Are you mocking me?
It makes sense that Celes would at least know who Terra since Terra was a killing machine of the Empire. Also, I like the shift to Celes getting defensive at Terra's love question rather than confused, it fits her character of being a general better and thinking that Terra is making fun of her.

Anyways, that's just one example of why I'm enjoying this script much more than the original.

CimminyCricket
03-01-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm having problems getting through a certain part of the original (PS1) but when I beat it, I'll go out and buy a copy of the new one, to see what you're talking about.

ljkkjlcm9
03-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I like the new translation as well. I think it develops the characters better.

THE JACKEL

Bunny
03-01-2007, 03:51 PM
The new translation is definitely the bee's knees.

NeoCracker
03-01-2007, 03:55 PM

Golly Gee bunny, I couldn't agree more.

ljkkjlcm9
03-01-2007, 03:59 PM

Golly Gee bunny, I couldn't agree more.
naw, I'd have to go with the cat's whiskers

THE JACK</>EL

Crossblades
03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm also enjoying the new translation. The only thing I didn't like was that they changed "That's Shadow! He'd slit his mama's neck for a nickel" into "He'd kill his own friend for the right price." But besides that, the new translation is cool:)

Zeromus_X
03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm just happy to have properly named spells and items.

There are a few nice jokes in the dialogue as well.

03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm also enjoying the new translation. The only thing I didn't like was that they changed "That's Shadow! He'd slit his mama's neck for a nickel" into "He'd kill his own friend for the right price." But besides that, the new translation is cool:)

At first I liked the "slit his mamma's throat" line better as well, but then I remembered the whole Clyde/Baram thing and realized the irony to the line "kill his own friend." I think it's a huge improvement.

Roto13
03-01-2007, 09:17 PM
For those of us who've played the original a zillion times, a new script is incredibly refreshing.

Necronopticous
03-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Overall I dig the new translation but there are a few lines that I definitely prefer Ted's take on. The best example I can think of is Kefka's "I will create a monument to non-existence" being changed to "I will create an empire...of DEATH!"

Jowy
03-01-2007, 09:45 PM
imho Kefka's line should have remained the same. I did enjoy all of the other changed dialogue, however.

Kenshin IV
03-02-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm deep enough in it right now to agree. The new script is very well done and flows a lot more fluidly than the original. It helps that they didn't make any unecessary name changes, either *cough*Tina*cough*.

Mirage
03-02-2007, 06:53 AM
I would have been satisfied if they didn't change the name of Aurabolt and Firedance

Kenshin IV
03-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Small potatoes. I can live with a few attack name changes as long as they don't mess with character names. Besides, Rising Phoenix is way cooler than Fire Dance.

Mirage
03-02-2007, 07:16 AM
There is no phoenix, and nothing is rising.

Kenshin IV
03-02-2007, 07:18 AM
That's what I read was the new name for Fire Dance. No?

Mirage
03-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Yes, it is. But "Rishing Phoenix" features no phoenix, and nothing in the skill animation is rising.

Kenshin IV
03-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Ah, but it still "sounds" cooler!

Mirage
03-02-2007, 07:24 AM
On paper, yes. In practice, no.

Kenshin IV
03-02-2007, 07:28 AM
*Laughs* Touché! Either way, I can live with a few changes to some minor attacks. It's better than having Cactoids and Orthos'.

Wolf Kanno
03-02-2007, 11:39 PM
I love the new translation, it's just soldified how well written this cast and story are IMHO. I especially love the spells and items being translated properly. I never realized how much it bothered me until I played the game. Overall, I think the new translation was for the better.:)

Zeromus_X
03-03-2007, 05:21 AM
I'm deep enough in it right now to agree. The new script is very well done and flows a lot more fluidly than the original. It helps that they didn't make any unecessary name changes, either *cough*Tina*cough*.

Proper translations are unnecessary changes? Though, I imagine if they did rename the characters from what everyone is used to, there would be 100 times the whining that there is already from a handful of lines being different.

As for Kefka's lines, I would have to agree they could've handled that alot better.

Roto13
03-03-2007, 06:02 AM
SON OF A SUBMARINER!

Slothy
03-03-2007, 01:26 PM
From what little I've been able to gather, the translation didn't just change things, but dumbed down some thenes and even dropped some others entirely. Although improved dialogue overall is great, dropping things like Celes being chained to a wall and beaten irks me. To he point that I've considered not bothering with the new version. Of course I know I'll probably get it in the end, but I really don't think new content makes up for some things that it's lost.

NeoCracker
03-03-2007, 03:28 PM
The Tentacle Rape line makes up for it though

Mirage
03-03-2007, 03:32 PM
From what little I've been able to gather, the translation didn't just change things, but dumbed down some thenes and even dropped some others entirely. Although improved dialogue overall is great, dropping things like Celes being chained to a wall and beaten irks me. To he point that I've considered not bothering with the new version. Of course I know I'll probably get it in the end, but I really don't think new content makes up for some things that it's lost.
That's the only scene, and it was dumbed down because of recent kidnappings in Japan where the girls would be beaten and otherwise mistreated.

Still sucks that it wasn't put back in when sent over to the west though.

Slothy
03-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I know why they took it out, but that doesn't make it right if you ask me.

I've seen people say that more than just that was dumbed down though, even going so far as to say that enough was screwed up by the translation for them to consider this game inferior to the other versions (considering the sometimes horribly broken script it originally had, that kind of tells me something). I suppose I won't know the full extent until I play it through for myself, but needless to say, I'm haven't been left with the highest of hopes. Some of the examples quoted in this thread do at least make me think that it might not be nearly as dysmal as I've been worrying it would be.

Wolf Kanno
03-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Honestly, with a few key (more like lovably corny) lines. The dialogue has actually improved the game overall. The character's personality's are more well defined and the writing come off more sophisticated. The only few people I've spoken to about it that hold onto the original are just die-hard fans who were against the translation to begin with. Which basically tells me they weren't even go to give it a chance when they actually played it.

I honestly walked away from the game feeling that is has become far more superior and now blatanly puts the other FF games to shame in regard to overall quality. Of course this is not to say the original Woosely translation is not without it's charm anymore;) Although FFVIA tells the story the way I always believed it to be, I'll always still have a soft spot for my "Son of a Submariner" version:love:

ReloadPsi
03-04-2007, 04:26 AM
I love the new translation... how else would oppose rhyme with dispose?

The Tentacle Rape line makes up for it though
This too.

Wild Card
03-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Lol, Tentacle rape eh?... Iiiinteresting...
I've played the original a hundred times,and this new script sounds like a much needed improvement. As for the "Corny lines" lol, :cry: I heard they changed the "Son of a submariner" line... :eek::eek::eek:
Derka derka, no i havent played the new one yet, but i will! :D and after that YOU SHALL BOW TO TEH FOOL :tongue:

Disco Potato
03-11-2007, 01:45 AM
If it's not too inappropriate for the forum, can anyone type out the tentacle rape line? I don't have the time to play the game right now but I'm really curious about it :D

"Son of a submariner" was great, but "son of a sandworm" has really grown on me too :love:

Zeromus_X
03-11-2007, 01:49 AM
"Oh, that's one tasty morsel! I'd love to get my tentacles around her..."

Disco Potato
03-11-2007, 01:53 AM
"Oh, that's one tasty morsel! I'd love to get my tentacles around her..."

Haha, wow. Thanks.