PDA

View Full Version : Game Localization

Xalibar
03-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know what kind of people are involved in the localilzation process or what its like? Also what kind of training to get a job doing it?

JKTrix
03-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I don't 'know', so this is just speculation. Localization obviously has to do with 'localizing' a foreign game. I would assume that, first and foremost, having a very strong grasp of the English language is the most important thing you need. Someone else can do the translating, you just focus on making the translations flow and make sense, and make the vernacular fit your market in most cases (like, don't use the word "vernacular" in Pokemon). Then there's the translating as well, you could focus on learning another language so you can translate stuff.

I'd imagine that you could do both translating and dialect modifying, but I think it would be more effective to have 2 people working together on that.

There are other things beyond just translation, but of course if you can't understand the words, it doesn't help matters.

This article might help with seeing what kind of stuff has to be done, though not exactly 'game' focused.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_localization

Madame Adequate
03-01-2007, 07:50 PM
It depends on a number of factors. Simply put, the changes between Japan and North America are going to be far, far larger than those between NA and the UK, for instance. I don't think most games are even modified for Commonwealth nations anymore, they just leave the US English in - there's nobody I know who cares enough for this to change what they buy, and it's not worth the company's time or money to go messing with it if it won't impact sales.

As for localization between countries, it takes a very firm grasp of both languages, an understanding of cultural similarities and differences, and probably a high level of general common sense as well. I have no clue how to get a job in it, but you might try trade magazines like Edge.

Maxico
03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
It depends on a number of factors. Simply put, the changes between Japan and North America are going to be far, far larger than those between NA and the UK, for instance. I don't think most games are even modified for Commonwealth nations anymore, they just leave the US English in - there's nobody I know who cares enough for this to change what they buy, and it's not worth the company's time or money to go messing with it if it won't impact sales.

Well, besides the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, games released in Europe are required to be translated into a varity of European languages before they can be sold.

Also the whole optimising for PAL deal, which should hopefully disappear with the phasing in of HDTV.

Madame Adequate
03-02-2007, 10:02 AM

Well, besides the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, games released in Europe are required to be translated into a varity of European languages before they can be sold.

Also the whole optimising for PAL deal, which should hopefully disappear with the phasing in of HDTV.

It's been my understanding that half the time they don't even bother with translating into French/German etc. anymore.