PDA

View Full Version : Voice Actors

LunarWeaver
03-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Call me goofy, but video game voice actors have become my rock stars. If I ever saw (or heard rather) one, I honestly would ask for an autograph, squee, n' be a general crazy dumbass.

So let's be fans of voice actors in games and talk about awesome ones :o

My favorite female voice actor is Kari Wahlgren (sometimes under Kay Jensen, Jennifer Jean, and some others). Notable roles like Ashe in FFXII, Raine Sage in Symphonia, Karin in Shadow Hearts:Covenant, Pellegri/Febronia in Xenosaga, and Mirage in Star Ocean:TtEoT boosted her to adoring status. She's also done plenty more and a ton of anime stuff. Runner-up goes to Heather Morris just for her role as Heather Mason in Silent Hill 3. Ms. Morris, please come out of hiding! Although, I do believe she did Eileen in SH4 uncredited >_>.

Steve Blum is my male choice. He's in so much crap I can't even begin to list it. This man has done even more than Tara Strong, I swear :O_O:. His voice is a husky shell of sex. Runner-up goes to Quinton Flynn because I adore Raiden from MGS2.

I do wonder why so many voice actors seem to go under a gajillion names, though >:O.

JKTrix
03-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Steve Blum= Tom, the dude from Toonami. Win. Tom would kick VV's butt.

I'm a fan of VA's/Seiyuu as well. Not just videogames, mostly anime. If particular VAs are doing a particular show or game, it'd be a selling point to me. As far as Anime goes, Eureka 7 is chock full of a lot of my favourite voice actors (including Kari Wahlgren) and a lot of those same actors are going to be in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as well--two of my favourite anime of all time. So I'm pretty excited about that.

Japanese seiyuu as well. I've picked up a few different anime I wouldn't normally have tried just because a particular seiyuu has a role in it. Most recently, Aya Hirano (Japanese voice for Haruhi Suzumiya) is playing in an anime called Manabi Straight. Schoolgirl anime ain't really my thing, but I gave it a try just because she's in it. I grinned when I first heard Misa from Death Note's voice, also the same girl.

In english, anime and video game voices seem to be interchanged quite freely.

LunarWeaver
03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
You are right that certain voice actors haunt both anime and video games frequently. They seem to go hand in hand. But that's good, because I really do follow some to any anime they've done too. I'm such a fan xD.

I had trouble deciding which section to shove this under actually, but I ultimately just decided on this 'coz I'm more into games :hahaha:.

Roto13
03-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Lamar Whatever who played Vamp in MGS 2. He's scrawny and black. He shouldn't have been able to sound like that.

XxSephirothxX
03-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Video game voice actors bother me, usually. Especially when they're in Japanese games. The dialogue comes off as cheesy far too often. Steve Blum is an exception, though. Still, he's done a lot more great anime characters than video games one (Spike and Mugen, <3). Rockstar is definitely an exception to the rule; they have some pretty awesome voice actors and really good writing that accurately reflects the cultures their games are based on.

Araciel
03-01-2007, 09:50 PM
someday i'll be a voice actor. i don't know if i would delve into video games though.

Jowy
03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0501/17/hayterth.jpg

I would have his children if I could.

Slothy
03-01-2007, 10:46 PM
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0501/17/hayterth.jpg

I would have his children if I could.

Get in line :p

As for my favourite female voice actor, it's hard to choose. Either Tara Strong for her incredible versatility, or the woman who did the voice of Naomi Hunter in MGS. I always loved her voice in that, though her name escapes me at the moment.

Zeromus_X
03-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Kari Wahlgren, Steve Blum, Takehito Koyasu, Chuck Huber, and Crispin Freeman are among my favorites.

Big D
03-02-2007, 03:14 AM
Lamar Whatever who played Vamp in MGS 2. He's scrawny and black. He shouldn't have been able to sound like that.Phil Lamarr, and he is indeed awesome. He's also the voice of Hermes Conrad in Futurama. ("What are you hacking off? Is it my torso!? It is! My precious torso!")

Anyone else think that David Hayter could play Solid Snake in live-action? He's need a bit of make-up and hairstyling, but I reckon he's got the right kind of look.

black orb
03-02-2007, 03:46 AM
>>> I never pay attention to voice actors in videogames, I just remember that the voices from Star Ocean 2 were pretty bad..

Monol
03-02-2007, 04:05 AM
Exxxxxcellent topic...Me im also pretty fond of voice acting...im also a Phil Lamar fan...wilt is my favorite character in fosters and i love vamps voice...Chuck huber plays my favorite character in my favorite anime (Yu Yu Hakusho all the way...*insert corny mainstream anime lover pose*) Quiton flynn has definatly impressed me on several occasions making characters who i expected to sound cheap and corny...sound well..amazing (Axel from KHII and Raiden from MGS2)...always loved Tara strong (and shes a babe to boot;) )...Steve Blums the man of course...Michael Bell is cool too aswell as Simon Templeman (outstanding performances in soul reaver)...John dimaggio (sp?) is fun and the voices from FFX and FFXII are amazing...notably Gideon Emery who does one of the best videogame voices in the history of man kind (Balthier from FFXII) and thats to name a few i enjoy :D

escobert
03-02-2007, 05:55 AM
You're goofy.

Samuraid
03-02-2007, 06:25 AM
I do wonder why so many voice actors seem to go under a gajillion names, though >:O.

Tell me about it. Steven Blum goes by my name even: :rolleyes2
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0089710/

Slothy
03-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Michael Bell is cool too aswell as Simon Templeman (outstanding performances in soul reaver)

Ack, how did I forget these guys?

Auragaea
03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I actually don’t care much for Blum, Wahlgren, or Freeman. In fact, I really hate Freeman’s voice and Wahlgren’s voice isn’t very unique. That being said, my favorite female VA is Tara Strong because of he unique range (as someone mentioned earlier). My favorite male VA would have to be the guy who did Adray in SO3 and Jet on Cowboy Bebob. I’ve forgotten his name though…

JKTrix
03-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Beau Billingslea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau_Billingslea). He's in quite a number of high profile anime, a bunch of games, and even some live action stuff..

UltimaMasamune
03-02-2007, 07:48 PM
male: Matt McKenzie (Auron), David Hayter (Snake), Crispin Freeman, Kirk Thornton and Jay Blum

female:Lulu's voice actor, The Boss's voice actor,Fran's voice actor

Chloe.
03-02-2007, 08:02 PM
I want to have Quinton Flynn's babies, or I'll just rape his voice. <3

Also, that guy that does the voice of Balthier from FFXII, his voice is sexy. :bigsmile:

Sergeant Hartman
03-02-2007, 08:07 PM

Also, that guy that does the voice of Balthier from FFXII, his voice is sexy. :bigsmile:
Very posh if I might say so :)

Chloe.
03-02-2007, 08:12 PM

Yeah I agree, but it's still mighty sexy. :mog:

Larahl
03-02-2007, 11:58 PM

Extremely sexy.

Shiny
03-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Steve Blum ofcourse for reasons already explained. I like david Hayter too sometimes, but his voice sometimes sounds like he's had too many cigs. A female voice actress I like is Wendee Lee (Faye from Cowboy Bebop).

Slothy
03-03-2007, 12:41 AM
I like david Hayter too sometimes, but his voice sometimes sounds like he's had too many cigs.

That's kind of the idea when playing Snake me thinks. He actually sounds almost nothing like Snake when talking normally though.

Zeromus_X
03-03-2007, 05:18 AM
Beau Billingslea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau_Billingslea). He's in quite a number of high profile anime, a bunch of games, and even some live action stuff..

I thought of him, but just couldn't remember the name. He's really great.

Sergeant Hartman
03-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Extremely sexy.
Even I would have his babies :eyebrow:

Rosenti
03-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Lol

well Auron from FFX, and Tidus.
Then Mostly characters from GTA. Lol they are already famous :D

The Last Ancient
03-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Great topic!

David Hayter, cmon could anyone else have played solid snake. He makes everything Snake says cool. Really everyone from that series, Jennifer Hale is good in quite a few things.

I liked the girl who played Farah in the first prince of persia, she had a very lovely quality to her voice and was missed in the last p.o.p.

Basically all the voice actors from Final Fantasy 12. Balthier, Basch, Fran, penelo, everyone, I think it's best collection of voice actors in a video game.

Bob Papenbrook, the late and great, also was a solid voice actor. I particularly liked him as Rasputin in the second shadow hearts game.

Brianne Sidall, is great, she did Jr. in the Xenosaga series, seyonara baby!

Ok I have a thing for the actors in Koudelka. None of them have done much else, and aren't amazingly talented, but I love the story of that game and the characters so I can excuse the not great voice acting.

All the actors from Beyond Good and Evil and The Longest Journey series rock too.

ValkyrieWing
03-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Kari Wahlgren, Steve Blum, Takehito Koyasu, Chuck Huber, and Crispin Freeman are among my favorites.

KOYASU FTW!!!

lol

I love Seki Tomokazu. Anyone ever played Tales of Destiny?!

Yuriev's ghost
03-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Crispin Freeman has been great in everything except Xenosaga Episode III. How he managed to overdo Albedo so badly after doing a fantastic job with him in the first two is beyond me.

KasaiDraco
03-27-2007, 10:56 PM
My favorite VA is Aerith from KH 2

JKTrix
03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
English? Japanese?

The Japanese VA is one of my favourite VAs of all. She's in a couple of my favourite anime as well: Maaya Sakamoto

The English VA wasn't that great I think. A little soulless. Rachel Leigh Cook (http://images.google.com/images?q=rachel+leigh+cook&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=CSB&um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title)

KasaiDraco
03-28-2007, 03:44 PM
The English one! She's so bad, she's good!

Dragon Mage
03-29-2007, 02:50 AM
The dialogue comes off as cheesy far too often.

"All your base are belong to us."

"You have no chance to survive make your time."

"What you say!?"

"Someone set us up the bomb."

XD, we all understand.