PDA

View Full Version : Sony and Immersion Play Nice

RiseToFall
03-02-2007, 12:04 AM
March 1, 2007 - Who would have thought that this day would come? (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/758/758760p2.html) Sony Computer Entertainment and Immersion announced today that both companies have agreed to put an end to their ongoing legal dispute and enter into a business agreement to incorporate Immersion's patented force feedback technology into future "PlayStation format products." Whether this means that the technology will be incorporated in future versions of the PlayStation 3's Sixaxis controller is still unclear, although what other "PlayStation format products" could they be talking about?

"We are pleased to have put this litigation behind us," said Immersion CEO Victor Viegas. "Our new business agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community. We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

As part of the agreement reached between the two companies, Immersion will be granted the full amount dictated by the District Court -- this includes damages, pre-judgment interest, and legal fees. The agreement also provides Sony with expanded rights with respect to Immersion's patents. No additional financial details were revealed, but it is expected that the termination of the litigation will have no material impact on Sony's consolidated earnings forecast announced on January 30, 2007.

"We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers," said Kazuo "Kaz" Hirai, of Sony Computer Entertainment. "We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies."

Link (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/769/769390p1.html)

Finally some good news on the PS3 front. Rumble is an important feature for me, and I would have missed it dearly when I finally got my hands on a PS3. At least now, it's one thing less to worry about.

Roto13
03-02-2007, 12:06 AM
It's probably the least important thing in the universe for me (I turn it off in my Wiimote to save power) but I guess this is still cool.

Dreddz
03-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Das ist gut.

LunarWeaver
03-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Thumbs up to them both for solving everything nicely :jess:.

Shoeberto
03-02-2007, 12:30 AM
Wasn't Sony just calling rumble a "last-generation feature"?

Maxico
03-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Well it sounds s bit better than "We're missing an important feature that our competitors have!"

Slothy
03-02-2007, 01:03 AM
It's probably the least important thing in the universe for me (I turn it off in my Wiimote to save power) but I guess this is still cool.

Agreed. I haven't given a second thought to it's absence in my PS3 controllers, even when playing rumble heavy PS2 and PSX games on it. Rumble was never more than a novelty if you ask me. If they include it in future versions of the controller then it doesn't bother me, but it was never a necessity. Having the actual potential motion control offered instead of rumble (in the one or the other situation) was always the better deal in my eyes.

Slicksword45
03-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Wasn't Sony just calling rumble a "last-generation feature"?

I think they still think it is, but they are doing it for everyone who wants it.

JKTrix
03-02-2007, 05:57 AM
Well, it would certainly add some weight to the controller. SIXAXIS feels so light, it's almost yucky.

I'm glad they settled this thing. Rumble is good, better as an option.

Mirage
03-02-2007, 06:07 AM
I like rumble. PS3 with rumble will please me.

NeoCracker
03-02-2007, 09:45 AM
PS3 news that isn't bad. I'm impressed.

Dreddz
03-02-2007, 04:29 PM
One thing to point out is that Sony said rumble simply wasnt possible in the controller as it got in the way of the motion sensoring function, which was to cover up the fact that they didnt have legal rights to it. So they lied, pretty much.

NeoCracker
03-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Don't they have a habbit of doing that?

Mirage
03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
One thing to point out is that Sony said rumble simply wasnt possible in the controller as it got in the way of the motion sensoring function, which was to cover up the fact that they didnt have legal rights to it. So they lied, pretty much.
And it was a poorly constructed lie too, seeing as Nintendo had no problem fitting their controllers with both rumble and motion sensors :p.

Roto13
03-02-2007, 05:39 PM
And it was a poorly constructed lie too, seeing as Nintendo had no problem fitting their controllers with both rumble and motion sensors :p.
The PS3 motion sensor deal seems to be more like the kind of thing they use in games like Wario Ware Twisted. Which also had rumbing. :P

KentaRawr!
03-02-2007, 05:41 PM
I've never been that huge of a fan of rumble, but even so, that seems like good news for Sony.

Yew-Yevon
03-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I wonder how long it'll be before Erdrick Holmes puts in his two cents?

fantasyjunkie
03-03-2007, 07:28 AM
This is really good news for me since I really love the rumble feature. I had decided to pass up on the PS3 for good because of this feature plus the price but if the rumble feature will be put in I'll get it for sure once the price drops a bit. I heard the price has already dropped but I'm not sure if thats a false rumor or not.

aquatius
03-03-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't see what's so great about rumble, it pisses me off and I prefer to not have it.