PDA

View Full Version : Do not fear the serpent

Diango12
03-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Why is it that all people have the common sentiment of fear for snakes? I see nothing scary about them, they seem more serine then anything to me. I think most peoples fear of snakes is a primordial instinct left from when apes where a favorite of prey among serpents

What I consider scary is what looks vicious. Sharp teeth, big horns, psychopathic look (see platypus for more information)

What scares you?

:save:Diango:save:

Mirage
03-02-2007, 06:32 AM
I only try to avoid poisonous snakes. It's not as much fear as it is taking precautions.

abrojtm
03-02-2007, 06:44 AM
It's human instinct. Any snake that I cannot readily identify, I will avoid at all costs. Snakes that are non-venomous or generally dangerous I will touch, hold whatever without any problems. In fact, I can't think of anything extraneous from myself that I have a huge fear of.

Mirage
03-02-2007, 06:47 AM
I just make sure to stomp the ground at regular intervals when I'm out in the woods or something. That usually scares them away. Well, the snakes you can find up here anyway. We only have one venomous snake here, and that's the viper.

Bahamut2000X
03-02-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm not afraid of snakes. But I dislike the venomous kinds, and since snakes are good at hiding and suddenly striking their not cool to run into. Beyond that they only suck cause they don't like to let go after biting.

Really I'm more afraid of insects because they could enter orifices of my body while I'm sleeping and mess around with things they shouldn't be messing with.

Mirage
03-02-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm not afraid of snakes. But I dislike the venomous kinds, and since snakes are good at hiding and suddenly striking their not cool to run into. Beyond that they only suck cause they don't like to let go after biting.

Really I'm more afraid of insects because they could enter orifices of my body while I'm sleeping and mess around with things they shouldn't be messing with.
Things like dying from your digestive acids :p.

Bahamut2000X
03-02-2007, 07:15 AM
I mostly freak out of the notion of one crawling in my ear more then anything. Hell it could be their plan all along to just get in there and get inside all our brains and control us. Oh god it's the bug conspiracy I tells ya! Their just waiting for their moment to strike us and take control of our minds!!!!

Miriel
03-02-2007, 07:19 AM
A snake slithered in my house and killed my beloved dog of many many years. I miss my doggie to this very day and will continue to miss her for the rest of my life.

I detest snakes and they should all die die die.

DK
03-02-2007, 10:37 AM
What I consider scary is what looks vicious. Sharp teeth, big horns, psychopathic look (see platypus for more information)

xD

I'm not afraid of snakes. :monster: I wouldn't mess with any venomous ones, but other than that I like them. I wanna get a pet Python. :spin:

cloud_doll
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
i don't like them because they suprise you. like one time i was hiking with my friends and we were just talking and laughing and such then one of my friend's screams, we hear a hiss, then a snake bites her leg. it's scary knowing that at any time while walking out in woods or whatever you could step on a snake!

Levian
03-02-2007, 12:59 PM
I've only seen two snakes in my life, and one of them was dead. I can't really say I'm locking myself up underground because of them.

It's pretty natural to be skeptic to unreliable, quick animals that are easily angered, like geese. I'm probably more afraid of geese.

Bunny
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
THEY HAVE NO LEGS

Little Blue
03-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Snakes don't bother me, though I wouldn't want to mess with the biters (whether they're poisonous or not). Bees / wasps / hornets etc scare me terribly though...

Mirage
03-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Stay still and they won't harm you :p.

Breine
03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Snakes really don't scare me - spiders on the other hand do! Ugh, I can't stand them.

Madonna
03-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I have a corn snake. Her name is Okra. I am sure that she will be pleased to meet you!

http://www.akusui.net/_lynxoma/_photo/lynx_okra01.jpg

Caution can never be a bad thing to exert when dealing with more dangerous snakes, but Okra is harmless with exception to the times she tries to hide in your shirt. It is warm there, man.

sockmonkey
03-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Snakes really don't scare me - spiders on the other hand do! Ugh, I can't stand them.

Same here.
Eight is just to darn many legs!
Seriously though it's the thought that they may bite that really gets me.

Chloe.
03-02-2007, 05:12 PM

That's exactly how I feel. :p

fire_of_avalon
03-02-2007, 05:38 PM
THEY HAVE NO LEGS
Some people don't have legs! Are you afraid of them? :love:

I have a corn snake. Her name is Okra. I am sure that she will be pleased to meet you!

http://www.akusui.net/_lynxoma/_photo/lynx_okra01.jpg

Caution can never be a bad thing to exert when dealing with more dangerous snakes, but Okra is harmless with exception to the times she tries to hide in your shirt. It is warm there, man.
Okra is pretty. Is she big enough to eat mice, or does she eat bugs? And why did you call her Okra? xD

I have never in my life had a problem with snakes when I wasn't surprised by them, but I have a lot of snake stories. The only time I was ever frightened by one was when I was fifteen or so. My dad was at a neighbors house and my sister started screaming her head off for me to get a snake out of the door. I thought she meant the snake was in the doorway of our front door, so I go to look for it. I thought it was odd that Sarah would be so spooked since she's never had a problem with snakes either. So I'm standing there looking out our storm door and I say "there's nothing here sarah. Are you trying to trick me?" She sees where I am, and starts screaming at me to look to my right. A racer had come into the house, climbed the door jamb and had settled itself at the middle hinge. And it was PISSED. I got out of the way before it could bite me. Eventually, since I couldn't figure out how to approach it without getting bit, we had to go get my dad. He walks in the house, and says "Where is it?" The snake strikes at him as soon as the words are out of his mouth. My dad turns, and catches the snake in midair, then drives down the road and let's it out into the marshland.

Snakes are neat, though. Most of the time wild ones will even realize you don't mean them harm if you're very still, and will hang out around you. But I've also lived in very rural areas all my life, so I was taught early how to deal with both venomous and non-venomous snakes.

The difference is you run from the venomous ones. xD

EDIT: Here's a picture of the snake I'm talking about!
EDIT 2: Or maybe not. Well, here's a link anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Coluber_constrictorPCCP20030612-1115B.jpg

Zeldy
03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Ive never seen one with living in England.
I did have a half worm/half snake as a pet when I was little, but we sorta lost it. It rocked, though!

Im not really afraid of them, its not like they can move all THAT fast, you could easy get away from them.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Why is it that all people have the common sentiment of fear for snakes? I see nothing scary about them, they seem more serine then anything to me. I think most peoples fear of snakes is a primordial instinct left from when apes where a favorite of prey among serpents.

Probably the whole serpent = Satan ideology does not help, especially in Western society.

Personally, the only snakes back home were garden snakes, I have seen one a few times and almost jumped once since it scared me (I did not notice it right away, I was spaced out).

In recent years, I find snakes/serpents more and more interesting. I am thinking that some day in the future to look into getting one as a pet.

Diango12
03-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I have a corn snake. Her name is Okra

Die Okra die die die. :moomba:

He walks in the house, and says "Where is it?" The snake strikes at him as soon as the words are out of his mouth. My dad turns, and catches the snake in midair

Wow your dads cool

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r29/Diango123/indiana_jones_01.jpg

Mirage
03-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I have a corn snake. Her name is Okra

Die Okra die die die. :moomba:

He walks in the house, and says "Where is it?" The snake strikes at him as soon as the words are out of his mouth. My dad turns, and catches the snake in midair

Wow your dads cool

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r29/Diango123/indiana_jones_01.jpg
Pff, all dads can do that. Can't yours?

Diango12
03-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Pff, all dads can do that. Can't yours?

Of course he can! :mad2:

Sergeant Hartman
03-02-2007, 08:03 PM
They're alright, but not when they're on planes :(

Remon
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
They're alright, but not when they're on planes :(

Ha! Lol

Anyways
i'm not afraid of snakes but i cant stand them.They are vicious and some of them even spit at you(Besides biting)

Araciel
03-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Pff, all dads can do that. Can't yours?Of course he can! :mad2:

my dad can beat up your dad.

snakes aren't scary in the least. sure the venomous ones are dangerous, but they generally fear people in this part of the world. if you know what to look for when you're out and about there's nothing to be afraid of, the odds of you getting bitten are the same as being mauled by a bear, which aren't that great.

Mogi
03-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm not really afraid of snakes, I'd just rather avoid them than come face-to-face with one.
Depending on what kind of snake it is, the only thing I can think is how huge those fangs are.
Ack!
Pah!

oddler
03-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Snakes control the vermin population. Yay snakes.

rubah
03-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Because copperheads like to lurk outside fourth of july parties and bite unsuspecting toddler children who are running around with sparklers.

15And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel."

Lynx
03-03-2007, 02:03 AM
i have a pet corn snake. ive had him for like 7 years.

people only fear them because they dont know enough about them. ive done my reading on snakes and i can identify most snakes in an instance. especially after watching crock hunter all those years i see nothing scary about them. ive caught venomous ones in the woods without a bit of fear. if you live in australia or africa id say stay away from any snake though. some of the most deadliest live there. here in new york what do i ahve to worry about? a copperhead whose venom probably wouldnt kill me even if i didnt go to a hospital. or a rattler that are so rare ive never even seen an alive one around here.

i think more people are afraid of spiders or sharks though. which i can understand a little more.

spiders can be very deadly and are small and can get anywhere. also i heard you eat like 30 spiders in a life time kinda gross.

sharks i mean if your in the water thats there element you dont have much chance so an eays fear for people. not me though i pulled a shark out of an aquariam tank when i was 7 :D nurse shark but hey i was 7 and it was about 3 feet long big enough to take my hand.

Diango12
03-03-2007, 03:15 AM
not me though i pulled a shark out of an aquariam tank when i was 7 :D

Kids and there silly antics :rolleyes2

That must have been so cute :D

:save:Diango:save:

Dr Aum
03-03-2007, 04:50 AM
Excuse me for being Freudian, but perhaps irrational fear of snakes stems from their phallic shape.

Luc
03-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Snakes don't really scare me. I'm more scared of spiders than anything else.

rubah
03-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Excuse me for being Freudian, but perhaps irrational fear of snakes stems from their phallic shape.

It's funny you should mention that. Late at night, I start being afraid to use the toilet incase a snake should come up out of it.

Dr Aum
03-03-2007, 08:47 PM

It's funny you should mention that. Late at night, I start being afraid to use the toilet incase a snake should come up out of it.

Snakes on a Plane much?

Shlup
03-03-2007, 09:58 PM
I love snakes, but I'm afraid of frogs. I think my reason it perfectly legitimate though.

Yamaneko
03-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Because you don't like what you see in the mirror?

Zing!