PDA

View Full Version : A topic on slang!

Dagga
03-02-2007, 10:14 PM
So here's a paragraph almost completely in irish slang...

D'ya hear about yer wan over there like, she got wrecked last night and was knackered this mornin' But fair play to her she got up and went to school unfortunately didn't concentrate and got bate'ed by the yoke... whatsername, yer 'oul wan... The teacher! I guess t'was er fault anywho coz she was actin' the maggot... the stick the teacher was bate'in er with was banjaxed though. Heh I bet you don't give a bollox. This paragraph's a bit arseways...
Geez I'm such an eejit...

Did you understand?

I love slang... I don't mean use it but there you go me oul' culchie friend!
What slang do you use & try and translate the paragraph! But you're not allowed translate if you're Irish!

McLovin'
03-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Noob.

Old Manus
03-02-2007, 10:27 PM
S'appenin' san? Ew muva was awsum last night like haha done ew!

No.78
03-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Sure I understand it, but I wouldnt if someone said it to me quickly, and I certainly wouldnt be able to say it. TIS CRAZINESS!!! *runs away*

escobert
03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Yes I understood but that would be horrid to speak like.

Zeldy
03-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Oh god I use so much St Helens slang. We say things are "well mint", "proper fab", "pure nice", "Fair good", "Oooh, I well bum off this song!" and just stuff like that xD
English slang is more "gutted" and "chuft"; I think most english people use those.

I live near Liverpool, so Im used to the way they speak. I can kinda understand that paragraph, as Liverpudlians speak english kinda like that.

D'ya hear about yer wan over there like, she got wrecked last night and was knackered this mornin' But fair play to her she got up and went to school unfortunately didn't concentrate and got bate'ed by the yoke... whatsername, yer 'oul wan... The teacher! I guess t'was er fault anywho coz she was actin' the maggot... the stick the teacher was bate'in er with was banjaxed though. Heh I bet you don't give a bollox. This paragraph's a bit arseways...

Did you hear about your __ over there like, she got drunk last night and was shattered in the morning, but fair to play to her, she got up and went to school, unfortunatly she couldn't concentrate and ____. Whatsername, your ___, the teacher! I geuss was her fault anyway, cause she was acting like __ Heh, I bet you don't give a bollocks. This paragraphs is messed up?
Geez Im such an idiot.

I seriously don't know what bate means.

Comet
03-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Nowt, Owt.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-02-2007, 11:14 PM
The vernacular is something I enjoy using during the proper situations, though most of the time its usage is minimal.

rubah
03-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Did you hear about that chick over there? She got wasted last night and was totally hungover this morning, but you gotta give her kudos, she came to school, except she passed out in class and the teacher started harassing her. It was all her fault anyways, and here I have to stop because the rest is unintelligible

Iceglow
03-03-2007, 01:44 AM
I'll very rarely use slang I tend to speak properly because it was how I was raised and most of the slang I do use is American or Canadian due to the high level of exposure I have to Americans and Canadians.

Bunny
03-03-2007, 02:46 AM
JIBBA JABBA

Mirage
03-03-2007, 03:20 AM
STOP THAT JIBBA JABBA.

Jowy
03-03-2007, 03:21 AM
JIBBA JABBA

STOP THAT JIBBA JABBA.

GIS for "jibba jabba"

http://www.crazyape.com/creatives/mrT3.jpg

Dr Aum
03-03-2007, 04:47 AM
BOING! DAKOTA!

oddler
03-03-2007, 05:08 AM
People. Doggy paper. The list is endless.

Madonna
03-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Diyalykdags?

Chloe.
03-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Everyone at my school uses so much slang, there's so many chavs and pikeys. :p The big one is "Init", everyone says that, I even say it alot now. There's alot of rude ones too, but I shouldn't say them here. xD

starseeker
03-03-2007, 10:39 AM
I only use a lot of slang when I'm excited. I'm harder to understand when I talk fast than when I use slang. And I talk fast a lot.

Dagga
03-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I think to the Irish it really isn't slang because we just use it whatever age & wherever in Ireland we're from...

"Bate" means to beat but we pronounce it that way well if you're a culchie that is...

Griff
03-03-2007, 01:58 PM
If you want to have fun with slang, learn the language from A Clockwork Orange and use it to confuse everyone around you.

Quindiana Jones
03-03-2007, 05:41 PM
I understood it. I speak much slangwords.

Shlup
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
This is why we don't teach nonstandard dialects in school.

Madame Adequate
03-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Ach don' be daft y'big ejit, ye've no idea what Eyerish slang is like. I'll give you a bat'n the bake 'n throw ye in the sheough if ye try this nonsense again. Thon's a quare bit o'writin' y'tried though, so a'spose I'll give yuh some credit for it. I'd do about as well if I were writin' at the craek o'dawn, so mebbe yer havin' yer own circumstances.

Now, go on with ye, y'buck ejit! Or I'll put my boot so far up yer hole we've t'go to the hospital t'get it out!

Ach sure even when y'write wi'a dialect er'un accent yer gonnae lose sumpin. Sure look at that there word "sumpin", I can't get any closer 'n that to how y'say it, but if yer readin' it an' yer not from the Falls Road er the Shankill ye'll not read it right. Like with "anyway", there's no other way t'write that there word I can think of, but y'wouldn't be sayin' it right if y'just read it there. Like thon word at the start, Irish, only I wrote it like Eyerish, fer that's a wee bit closer t'how yuh'd say it here.

Ach sure if I can be annoyed I might record something for yis.

(Edit: And yes, I have spoken to Irish people who speak that schizophrenically and contradict what they're saying that regularly.)

Odaisé Gaelach
03-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Dagga, you're not from Letrim by any chance are you? :shifty:

Tavrobel
03-04-2007, 03:29 AM
Ya'll be loafin'.

The only slang I use is "I have Asian OCD," which stands for "you fail at life."

Dagga
03-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Dagga, you're not from Letrim by any chance are you? :shifty:

No Co. Chiarrí

Rocket Edge
03-04-2007, 10:38 PM

Did you hear about that woman over there, she got drunk last night and was really hungover in the morning, but fair to play to her, she got up and went to school, unfortunatly she couldn't concentrate and got beaten up. Whats her name, that woman, the teacher! I guess it was her fault anyway, cause she was acting like like an idiot. Heh, I bet you don't care though. This paragraphs is is all over the place.
Geez Im such an idiot.

I don't like the Dublin accent. (Ya know wha i mane like?) :-\

Vikeve
03-04-2007, 11:51 PM
I use slang when I talk but not much when I write. Unless, I'm typing but when I type its not so much as me using slang as it is me just not giving a rats ass for grammar.:)

If you want to have fun with slang, learn the language from A Clockwork Orange and use it to confuse everyone around you.

I can't understand that book at all, but my friend can. She said you get used to it.:p