PDA

View Full Version : I am on a quest...

Setzer Gabianni
03-03-2007, 03:15 PM
..to find out why Vaan is so annoying. I have yet to see a reasonable explanation as to why he is so annoying. If you people don't give me one, I will go to other message boards to further my quest.

EDIT: I must also add that I like Vaan :bigsmile:

Hazzard
03-03-2007, 03:18 PM
You should just give him a chance, and he isn't even annoying- its the actual person's problem not the character's. Too many people find something to complain about with a perfectly decent character, why can't we just enjoy the game and don't insult it!

Pathfinder
03-03-2007, 04:43 PM
You should just give him a chance, and he isn't even annoying- its the actually person's problem not the character's. Too many people find something to complain about with a perfectly decent character, why can't we just enjoy the game and don't insult it!
becauseWE CAN!!lol of course i still think of all the FF games the best was FFTA(pwns the rest>

Bahamut2000X
03-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Just be glad his annoyance levels arn't anywhere near those of Squall or Tidus.

Angel_from_hell
03-03-2007, 07:25 PM
I canīt see why everyone thinks Vaan is so anoying?

rubah
03-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Because he looks like, sounds like, and even has the same body language as tidus?

I didn't mind tidus, but I don't like for him to have a carbon copy.

Neo-Omega Mk XXV
03-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Vaan's appearance and tone of voice are somewhat similar to Tidus's, but his personality is certainly _not_ a "carbon copy".
Anyway he's not particularly annoying. Certainly far less so than say, Steiner.

Renmiri
03-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Just look at his ribs, will ya ?

http://ffproject.net/forumwiki/images/Ribs2.jpg

Fynn
03-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Well, he is an orphan who grew up in a desert...

Sergeant Hartman
03-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Yeah what's up with that?

Fynn
03-03-2007, 10:16 PM

Yeah what's up with that?

I actually answered it in my last post:

Well, he is an orphan who grew up in a desert...

Thank you :)

Sergeant Hartman
03-03-2007, 10:23 PM
We must have posted at the same time :(

Fynn
03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
Well, no matter... Anyway, back to the topic - why, oh WHY are people so annoyed with this poor, starving orphan living in a desert!? Now that's just mean... :(

Setzer Gabianni
03-03-2007, 10:37 PM
If you notice in FMV's..he doesn't actually have his ribs showing, close up pics/cutscenes probably don't just..show him as he really looks.

Formalhaut
03-03-2007, 11:36 PM
He looks ugly his abs. And he does not live in the Giza plains aor estersand.Or westersand. He lives in the city of Rabanastre, Lowtown.

rubah
03-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Vaan's appearance and tone of voice are somewhat similar to Tidus's, but his personality is certainly _not_ a "carbon copy".
Anyway he's not particularly annoying. Certainly far less so than say, Steiner.

he stands with his arms behind his neck in the same way, he's always asking awkward questions which show his ignorance, where tidus was dealing with a completely foreign culture, etc

he isn't as arrogant as tidus though 8)

Hazzard
03-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Thats true, i can see the resemblance between the two now-Vaan is his own original character, but takes off of Tidus a lot.

Yuriev's ghost
03-04-2007, 12:45 AM
They basically took Tidus, removed all of his redeeming aspects and put him in a game where he has about as much importance in the overall plot as your average NPC.

And his abs (like every other Hume model) look like they're painted on, which is ridiculous since FFX didn't have this problem and was released several years earlier.

Xurts
03-04-2007, 02:27 AM
They basically took Tidus, removed all of his redeeming aspects and put him in a game where he has about as much importance in the overall plot as your average NPC.
Exactly, why is he even in this game? Him and Penelo are just along for the ride because they have nothing else to do but to work for Migelo. I think Balthier would've been a much better main character. Not to mention that every character is infinitely cooler and more likable than Vaan.

Roto13
03-04-2007, 04:19 AM
He's a fucking mallrat.

Yuriev's ghost
03-04-2007, 04:19 AM
The only reason I can think of is that Vaan was originally supposed to play a much larger role in the plot but it was written out when the project changed director (probably due to the initial critisism that Vaan and Ashe seemed too similar in nature to Tidus and Yuna). That would explain why he is always the one to represent you in towns, at least.

Setzer Gabianni
03-04-2007, 07:49 AM
So one of the main reasons to find Vaan annoying is because of his abs. Right..

There's probably been 2/3 people who I have been satifisied with so far :bigsmile:

Hazzard
03-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Exactly, why is he even in this game? Him and Penelo are just along for the ride because they have nothing else to do but to work for Migelo. I think Balthier would've been a much better main character. Not to mention that every character is infinitely cooler and more likable than Vaan.

I can image how great the game would be if Balthier was your main character-he would be great, and give you full access to the Strahl.
A sky pirate is everyones dream, including mine....!!!!

Wolf Kanno
03-04-2007, 09:29 AM
The only reason I can think of is that Vaan was originally supposed to play a much larger role in the plot but it was written out when the project changed director (probably due to the initial critisism that Vaan and Ashe seemed too similar in nature to Tidus and Yuna). That would explain why he is always the one to represent you in towns, at least.

Doubt it, the script was finished and they were half way through actual production by the time the new director came in. As far as I've heard, the new director didn't really change or alter anything, he basically just kept it on schedule.

What makes Vaan a better character is his relationship with the other characters. They all think he's annoying and are not afraid to say it, unlike FFX's clan of "good doers and wrong righters". You can't tell me you didn't play FFX and not once wish Auron would turn around and tell Tidus to shut up.;)

I think Vaan's role in the story was good and I liked how it progressed. It was far more believable. Hey at least he's not an alien, a clone, a dream or some other stupid nonsense that plagues JRPG:rolleyes2

No.78
03-04-2007, 10:33 AM
His hair, when he gets a good haircut he won't be annoying anymore.

Seriously one day we'll look back and go "holy freaking crap, look at Vaans hair".

--One Winged Angel--
03-04-2007, 11:31 AM
So one of the main reasons to find Vaan annoying is because of his abs. Right..

There's probably been 2/3 people who I have been satifisied with so far :bigsmile:

u just love to bitch dont u........every thread u post in ur complaining about sumthin.

Setzer Gabianni
03-04-2007, 04:34 PM
*Ignores the spammer above me*

No.78..are you really saying that his hair annoyed you? :rolleyes2 - what's the big kerfuffle over something like..his hair XD?

No.78
03-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Well that's just me being picky, that's the only problem with him really... Oh and his level 1 quickening looks stupid.

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 06:29 PM
..to find out why Vaan is so annoying. I have yet to see a reasonable explanation as to why he is so annoying. If you people don't give me one, I will go to other message boards to further my quest.

EDIT: I must also add that I like Vaan :bigsmile:

i dont think hes as annoying as tidus but he is a bit

chocobo hunter
03-04-2007, 06:44 PM
There was that really annoying part it was in the Ogr-Sandsea I think and Penlo and Vaan it reminded me so much of anime that was really annoying also I don't like his name, why could'nt Vaan died protecting the dalmascan king and Reks (such a better name) be the main character instead. I just found Vaan's character so immature for a dessert orphan, should'nt he be a cool character not a boring predictable one.

Renmiri
03-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I think that you hit a good point Chocobo hunter. It was such a drag to have your first character (Reks) dying on you!

Vaan got more annoying because of it to me. I felt like saying "I don't want this fool, bring me back Reks!"

I would much rather have had Reks than both Vaan AND Penelo.

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2007, 03:33 AM
Reks makes Vaan a bit more compelling cause the player understands his loss. I also loved how you learn more about Reks from the NPC's and certain side quests. Especially the "Jovy, The Hero" side quest.

Besides it's an unwritten rule in the FF universe that you are not allowed to have the "cool characters" be in your party. Golbez, the Dawn Warriors, General Leo, Zack, and Seifer...

Formalhaut
03-05-2007, 04:06 PM
I would much rather have had Reks than both Vaan AND Penelo.

No penelo is cool. Vaan has to go though Defo. Leave my penelo alone!:love:

Renmiri
03-05-2007, 04:45 PM
No penelo is cool. Vaan has to go though Defo. Leave my penelo alone!:love:

:eek: A Penelo fan! :eek:

Congratulations, you are the first I've met so far :love:

Have you reached the end yet ? She will look a lot prettier on the last scene of the game! :love:

Hazzard
03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
I have no opinion of Penelo, except probably say that she isn't really needed but isn't annoying. She keeps her mouth shut and speaks when spoken to, what'ta good girl!

No.78
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah Penelos role in the party, storywise... Is like, "Um, Penelo... We can go home ya know."
"Shush! I like it here."

Setzer Gabianni
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
This is a thread about Vaan, not Pennelo. Get out Renmiri, before I report you to the controlling Occuria - er - Moderators :bigsmile:

Ko Ko
03-07-2007, 03:18 PM
All right, back on topic, I'm a resident modwhore and you all shall obey my command. ^^

Anyway, you want to know why Vaan is so annoying?

Because he is wearing a man bra, and whines all the time.
That's why. He is the opposite of hero; he is loser, hear him whine.

Hazzard
03-07-2007, 03:29 PM
All right, back on topic, I'm a resident modwhore and you all shall obey my command. ^^

Anyway, you want to know why Vaan is so annoying?

Because he is wearing a man bra, and whines all the time.
That's why. He is the opposite of hero; he is loser, hear him whine.

A loser, ehh...I agree with the man bra thing-and what he says is always BS with no relevance at all. He has the most ridiculous hairstyle ever-he hasn't got no wits about him... but he ain't no loser.

snakebyte91
03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
for me it isnt one huge thing that bugs me...its all the small things! im not gonna bother stating all of them because well...everyones pointed them out. he should really go home...(but before he does i need belias back from him hehehe)

Setzer Gabianni
03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Reks wears a more embarassing man bra. :bigsmile:

Renmiri
03-07-2007, 07:08 PM
It is his chest armor, part of his uniform. Leavie Reksy alone!!!!

Hazzard
03-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Reks' role got jacked by that street thief they call 'Vaan', the evidence runs straight back to that kid!!!

Formalhaut
03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
:eek: A Penelo fan! :eek:

As if you have not seen a penelo fan before:p

Oh wait you have not.:rolleyes2

Anyway I like Penelo. She is pretty (A must in FF games!)
funky everything I am... even IF I am a boy. :rolleyes2

Old Manus
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
He looks like a girl, and can't get the drinks in.

Renmiri
03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
He uses glitter as makeup ;)

(Don't those two perpetual shining spots in Vaan's face annoy you ? )

Ko Ko
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
YES! FINALLY! Someone else noticed!

They really bother me, like bleach spots or something?!

Wolf Kanno
03-09-2007, 07:58 AM
He uses glitter as makeup ;)

(Don't those two perpetual shining spots in Vaan's face annoy you ? )

Leave Vaan alone and let him be metrosexual. You let Tidus do it so you can't complain about Vaan. ;)