PDA

View Full Version : an orange moon!!

BarelySeeAtAll
03-03-2007, 09:55 PM
yes, my friend just told me that tonight, the moon will turn orange!:eek:
yeah, the moon will be in the way of the sun or something and that the moon will glow orange...i dont know entirely...if someone can give me the proper story, that will be usefull
:greenie:

Sergeant Hartman
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I heard this on the news, don't know much about it though. An orange moon would look cool :cool:

No.78
03-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I just looked at it, it's not really orange... But it was cool nonetheless, a crescent shape but you could see the rest of the moon.

I just took some photos of it... Hey! I guess it is orange, nice! Prettyyyy...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/Igshnarf/orangemoon.jpg

Sergeant Hartman
03-03-2007, 10:29 PM
I can't see it, there's too much pollution in the way! :mad2:

Shlup
03-03-2007, 10:31 PM
The moon turns orange regularly. It's called a harvest moon.

Cezanzo
03-03-2007, 10:33 PM
It's a lunar eclipse read this:
Lunar eclipses occur when Earth passes between the sun and the moon, blocking the sun's light. The event is rare because the moon spends most of its time either above or below the plane of Earth's orbit.
Although it will pass completely under Earth's shadow, light from the sun will still reach the moon after being refracted through Earth's atmosphere, giving the moon an eerie dark reddish tinge.

Old Manus
03-03-2007, 10:34 PM
The moon turns orange regularly. It's called a harvest moon.*moves to general gaming discussion*

BarelySeeAtAll
03-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Lunar eclipses occur when Earth passes between the sun and the moon, blocking the sun's light. The event is rare because the moon spends most of its time either above or below the plane of Earth's orbit.
Although it will pass completely under Earth's shadow, light from the sun will still reach the moon after being refracted through Earth's atmosphere, giving the moon an eerie dark reddish tinge.

how can it be though...there was one either last year or the yr before that, though i missed it...and i was outside!!:( . and its once every x amount of years...it cant be this year can it?

Sergeant Hartman
03-03-2007, 10:46 PM
I saw a few seconds of it, yeah it's all shiny at the top :hat:

Cezanzo
03-03-2007, 10:49 PM

how can it be though...there was one either last year or the yr before that, though i missed it...and i was outside!!:( . and its once every x amount of years...it cant be this year can it?

It happened...3 I think, years ago.

Iceglow
03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I love it when this happens makes me think of the jaffa cake advert!

rubah
03-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I thought harvest moon was just the one that happened in october :p

Tonight is an eclipse. That is what you are talking about.

The last total eclipse I saw was about ten years ago. There are partial ones more often than that. A solar elipse is far more rare (the moon isn't as big to block the sun as the earth is the moon)

A diagram
        )        ->                      ->
SUN)&nbsp;&nbsp;-> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <-(moon) &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; HO NOES BLACKNESS &nbsp;&nbsp; (earth)
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ) &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ->

That is a solar elipse.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; ) &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ->&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;->
SUN ) &nbsp;&nbsp;-> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <- (earth) &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; HO NOES BLACK(moon)
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ) &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ->&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;->

That is a lunar eclipse.

Quindiana Jones
03-04-2007, 04:00 PM
I meant to stay up and look at it when it was properly covered, but I fell asleep. Still, I saw most of it.

The redness is gay though. The best part was after 8ish, when it was uber-bright and everyone was acting freaky.

Renmiri
03-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Called a blood moon by some. I missed it :(

escobert
03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Yeah lunar eclipse last night. It was cool. Blood moons are common.

Roto13
03-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I looked but it was too cloudy.

Bahamut2000X
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
There was a huge Harvest Moon ages ago around here. It was so large it looked bigger then the sun. It was pretty nifty to see.

starseeker
03-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I saw it. It was pwetty.

vorpal blade
03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Those of you who saw it: where do you live?
I heard there was an eclipse a few days ago in the eastern US, but I live in the west, so I couldn't see it.

Reles
03-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Yup, my boyfriend and I saw this when we were driving around last night. We were all "Wtf, is that the moon?!" It was huge and orange, cool looking though.