PDA

View Full Version : We need more RPG:s with the "New Game+" feature!

Peter_20
03-03-2007, 11:10 PM
I've only played one single game with this feature: Chrono Trigger.
The feature simply lets you restart a new game with the data from a previously saved file, allowing you to kick ass with the Rainbow from the very start of the game.
This feature also eliminates "miss-able items", because you can always reclaim anything on your next playthrough, or the next, or the next.

New Game+ rocks, so why do so few RPG:s use the device?

Ashley Schovitz
03-03-2007, 11:12 PM
X-2 uses it too.

Mirage
03-03-2007, 11:18 PM
and Disgaea 1/2. It really adds quite a bit of replay value to the games, I like it.

Roto13
03-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Tales of Symphonia does it well.

Vermachtnis
03-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Tales of Symphonia does it well.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Madame Adequate
03-04-2007, 02:02 AM
/signed

Games with New Game+ can be awesome fun.

Agent Proto
03-04-2007, 02:10 AM
Tales of the Abyss has it as well. It's a neat feature.

PyroManiak
03-04-2007, 02:20 AM
zelda the wind waker had it...plus they had the gameboy to GC thingy which was awesome cuz I'd make random ppl play with me...and 2played is rare in RPG's i think

Roto13
03-04-2007, 02:25 AM
Too bad Zelda isn't an RPG.

PyroManiak
03-04-2007, 02:32 AM
Too bad Zelda isn't an RPG.

well ur roleplaying as link arent you? then what is it? seriously i thought it was an rpg..is it an action game?

The Legend of Zelda (ゼルダの伝説, Zeruda no Densetsu?) is a fantasy video game series produced by Nintendo, and created by the celebrated game designer Shigeru Miyamoto. The gameplay consists of a mixture of action, adventure, role-playing, puzzle-solving, and occasional platforming and racing elements. The series is known for its beautiful and inspiring settings, creative gameplay, interesting characters, stirring original music, and high overall production values. It is widely considered one of the most influential video game franchises ever created, and has earned a spot as one of the company's flagship franchises alongside such notable series as Mario and Metroid. As of February 2007, The Legend of Zelda series has 13 official games released which have sold 47 million units[1].

-wikipedia description...I know wikipedia is user submitted but I think hes right about the fact that it has role-playing

Roto13
03-04-2007, 02:37 AM
Playing as a character doesn't make a game an RPG. And for the love of god, learn to use the edit button some time.

PyroManiak
03-04-2007, 02:41 AM
Playing as a character doesn't make a game an RPG. And for the love of god, learn to use the edit button some time.

yeh its not an RPG>..i found out its action adventure...but I personally think all games have action and adventure ....if it were my deciscion i wulda said zeldas an RPG

and I dont believe in god or edit buttons...

Miriel
03-04-2007, 02:44 AM

Please don't double post. It's really easy to use the edit button to add on to your existing post. Ok? Thanks.

PyroManiak
03-04-2007, 03:01 AM

Please don't double post. It's really easy to use the edit button to add on to your existing post. Ok? Thanks.

but that takes years man...its imposhable:mad:

Bahamut2000X
03-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Lufia II (and I believe III also) had a 'restart' feature, which was after playing through and beating once, you could have a game file where you got 4X exp and GP. Made it real interesting to try and power level for some of those 'impossible' bosses.

Zeromus_X
03-04-2007, 07:05 AM
Almost all of the Tales games have a New Game feature involving a shop where you can spend your Grade on miscellaneous bonuses to make gameplay new and exciting.

LunarWeaver
03-04-2007, 07:37 AM
I love 'em, but I don't really fancy starting over disgustingly powerful either. Just a lil' boost is nice. The Tales games have it the best, since it takes multiple playthroughs to earn everything in some of them. X-2's wasn't bad either, because your level reset so you weren't just a Goddess and there were enough jobs it could take more than once.

Starting over at level 99 with everything and the game being a breeze, though? Mm, I dunno...I can't dig it that way.

Madame Adequate
03-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I love 'em, but I don't really fancy starting over disgustingly powerful either. Just a lil' boost is nice. The Tales games have it the best, since it takes multiple playthroughs to earn everything in some of them. X-2's wasn't bad either, because your level reset so you weren't just a Goddess and there were enough jobs it could take more than once.

Starting over at level 99 with everything and the game being a breeze, though? Mm, I dunno...I can't dig it that way.

So don't use New Game+? 'Cause sometimes starting at nearly max level with awesome equipment and items is fun. That's a major reason people use cheats - to become ridiculously overpowered and pwn everything.

Mirage
03-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Maybe an option to choose what you want to carry over to the new game would be optimal? This is sort of implemented in Tales of Symphonia.

NeoCracker
03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Lufia II (and I believe III also) had a 'restart' feature, which was after playing through and beating once, you could have a game file where you got 4X exp and GP. Made it real interesting to try and power level for some of those 'impossible' bosses.

To Bad Lufia III doesn't Exist. Lufia the Legend REturns however does. And both times you fight Gades you don't need the 4X to defeat him. Cleverly used Row Changes and Hi Bombs do the trick just fine.

And yes, more new Game +'s would be nice.

Bahamut2000X
03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Bah, it's the third Lufia, hence Lufia III. There's no need to give it some crazy other name to be 'original' from the numbered system which works so well.

NeoCracker
03-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Bah, it's the third Lufia, hence Lufia III. There's no need to give it some crazy other name to be 'original' from the numbered system which works so well.

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinestrals
Lufia: The Legend Returns
Lufia: The Ruins of Lore

I believe they all have Crazy names, and only 1/4 has a number.

Roto13
03-04-2007, 02:53 PM
In the Tales games you can actually make the game harder with a New Game+. Half EXP and Mania difficulty for the win.

rodo14
03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
In the Tales games you can actually make the game harder with a New Game+. Half EXP and Mania difficulty for the win.
Hey bro

Roto13
03-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Hey bro
GACK!

rodo14
03-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey bro
GACK!
I'm gonna do a run through the Temple of Doom soon with a level 32 Adventurer, wanna come?

Gnostic Yevon
03-04-2007, 10:24 PM
The one NG+ option that really impressed me wasn't even an rpg, it's in the RTS series Kessen. What happens is that after finishing the game as one side of the war, you could replay as the other side.

I think that has a lot of possibilities. Obviously the missions would be different -- say the difference between "Save the Princess" and "Kidnap the Princess". But the story would be different as well, even though the events are the same, you see the other perspective. What is Sephy doing while you're off looking for him? Why does he do that spoilery thing? Or Shinra for that matter.

I Took the Red Pill
03-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I loved NG+ in Chrono Cross. Fast-Forwarding or Slowing Down battles was epic. And being able to fight the final boss at any point in the game was also valid.

Ko Ko
03-04-2007, 10:34 PM
How do you access that in X-2?

Venom
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
I havent seen anyone mention Chrono Cross having a new game + feature.

Just for the record. Chrono Cross.

Markus. D
03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
only if it has a need for it.

like Chrono Trigger, FFX-2 and Disgaea 1-2 pulled this off fantastically.

ps: to access it in X-2 simply beat the game at least once.

Mirage
03-06-2007, 03:30 PM
In Disgaea you start at the level you were when you finished it, but it's no problem, as you can transmigrate your characters if you find it too easy. You still have enough good gear to not get any problems :p.

Renmiri
03-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Games with New Game+ can be awesome fun.

I love it!! :D Wish XII had it, I would so pwn the Wild Saurian and those werewolves with Scathe or Flare! :D

Yamaneko
03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
You also need New Game+ in CC in order to fight Slash, Flea, Ozzie (or whatever they're actually called in CC) in that one room.