PDA

View Full Version : Worse one type party in the game? (4 of the same)

Frostwake
03-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Obviously its either 4 thieves or 4 black mages... I think we can all assume when upgraded 4 ninjas >>> 4 black wizards, because they get much better defense and attack, and still have fast etc... 4 black wizards would be "glass canons" as they would kill everything really fast but die even faster, and with NO ability to cure... yeah

So I came to the conclusion that 4 Blackmages/wizards is the worse party in the game... anyone agrees?

Dr Unne
03-04-2007, 05:18 PM
http://ffclassic.net/characters/fight/bbdead.gifhttp://ffclassic.net/characters/fight/bbdead.gifhttp://ffclassic.net/characters/fight/bbdead.gifhttp://ffclassic.net/characters/fight/bbdead.gif

EDIT: Yeah, oops. I was working on my site, and I copied the URLs for my local mirror of my site rather than the public one. :(

ReloadPsi
03-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Heh, yeah, nothing's worst than a party of four white squares with little red X's in them.

Funny though, anyone woulda thought you'd go for four Black Belts.

Martyr
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM
No.

The worst 4 Party group in the game is 4 BBs.

Why?

Well, look at 4 BMs.
They dominate the early game with magic, from Garland to the Eye (If you skip Kary until later, which you'll pretty much have to do). The water level is a breeze. Tiamat is weak against BANE and BRAK.
The only hard part about 4 BMs is that usually you'll want to level into the 30s so you will have plenty of nukes for the ToF (revisited).
And THAT is only hard because you'll fly through the game, ready to enter the ToF, usually, around lv. 20, and picking up 300,000 xtra XP is kind of boring. (Of course, getting to the 30 is only for xtra power. It certainly is not required.)
Seriously, considering Cat Claws, Ribbons, and Fire2, 4 BMs is easier than 4 WMs.

4 Thieves vs. 4 BBs is the question that needs to be asked.

In the beginning, both of these parties are atrociously bad. However, the BBs worth increases exponentially when he reaches lv. 10.

That will put the BBs over the Astos hurdle around lv. 11 or 12, long before the Thieves will feel comfortable kicking Astos' butt.

Folowing it up, the BBs will have an easier time through the Earth Cave, but things will get hard in the ice cave and the volcano.

You see, BBs can't run, and Thieves can. The BBs are going to start dying heavily, even in the Earth cave. They'll get turned to stone. You'll have to restart over and over again.
Despite the sheer amount of higher damage, the Thieves, once they acquire the Mystic Key, will have good weapons, better armor, better running skills, and will be at a pretty high level for continuing on, since Astos was so hard.
BBs win from Astos to Ice Cave.
Thieves win from Ice Cave to Class change.

And then 4 Ninjas are really cool. If you factor in that the Ninjas can
A. Run when they have to, whereas BBs sit and take damage when 4 turns are up
B. Black Magic like FAST, which gives Ninjas the ability to do better damage against higher defense foes
C. Armor! Ninjas take it like Fighters while BBs will have the same horrible defense thoughout the entire game.

The Ninjas, although it takes 2 turns to kill Kraken, are far better because they all survive the fight, made it to Kraken in the first place, and the BBs are always walking out of the dungeon with 2 dead bodies, if they live that long.

In my opinion, 400 damage is worthless if it can only be inflicted twice against an army of 9 cocatrices or even 5 ghosts.
Imagine! 5 ghosts! If every BB strikes first, one ghost is still going to hit for 200 damage. 7 Heal potions (waste of time in the item shop), and god forbid they strike forst, or more than one hit the same BB- oh God. When I brought 4 BBs through the water tempkle, I just had to give up on keeping them all alive. It's impossible. I swear, it is the most pathetic party ever.

4 BBs is the absolute worst party. They only look better than thieves at one tiny moment of the game (not much to be proud of) because they take the second longest amount of time to beat Astos, instead of the absolute longest.

Nominus Experse
03-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Black Belts eptimize suck, so having four would exponentially increase the amount of suck:

BB^4=TEHSUX

Sefie1999AD
03-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I've never tried having 4 of the same party member, so Unne and Martyr are probably correct here. However, if I had to make a prediction of my own, I'd probably say 4 Thieves are the worst one-type party in the game. At least 4 White Mages can heal.

ReloadPsi
03-08-2007, 01:19 AM
In the NES version, 4 Fighters are best, but in DoS you usually need a White Mage (or an item that casts Healara/aga) to keep you alive while you're effectively killing the last boss ten times over.

sockmonkey
03-08-2007, 01:41 PM
In my opinion, 400 damage is worthless if it can only be inflicted twice against an army of 9 cocatrices or even 5 ghosts.
Imagine! 5 ghosts! If every BB strikes first, one ghost is still going to hit for 200 damage. 7 Heal potions (waste of time in the item shop), and god forbid they strike forst, or more than one hit the same BB- oh God. When I brought 4 BBs through the water tempkle, I just had to give up on keeping them all alive. It's impossible. I swear, it is the most pathetic party ever.

Why don't you use the spellcasing items on those fights?

Martyr
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM

1. Both Water Axes and the Mage staff are found in the Sea Shrine, and thus the probability of not having them is fairly high.

2. 3 shots of Fire2 won't necessarilly kill a ghost, and I'd rather kill one every hit then wait until the second battle to grease them all.

But that's one situation.
What happens when you have to face Kary and Kraken in the ToF? Unless you get super lucky and they use spells, you're down at least 1 or 2 black belts by the time you reach chaos.

You have to level too high, in my opinion, for a party of 4.

darksword12
03-09-2007, 05:07 AM
This is based entirely on hearsay, so I'm not sure as to its validity, but I think it would be 4 black belts.

I heard it from the guy on FF Classic. He was pretty convincing.

psyniac_123
03-22-2007, 10:53 AM
"Four White Mages? It'll never work." ~ Black Mage, 8-Bit Theatre

:D

The black mage
03-26-2007, 10:32 AM
i tried a DOS 4BBs and gave up when i got to graland at level 4 and he Kicked my butt
So i restarted with 4 BMS and burnt his butt.

Holy Lancer
03-30-2007, 08:06 PM
http://ffclassic.net/characters/fight/bbdead.gifhttp://ffclassic.net/characters/fight/bbdead.gifhttp://ffclassic.net/characters/fight/bbdead.gifhttp://ffclassic.net/characters/fight/bbdead.gif

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Nugget Mage
04-01-2007, 03:52 AM
4 Black Mages/Thieves/Black Belts.

Those 3 are really bad, but I can't decide which one is the worst.

Momiji
04-03-2007, 02:59 AM
This is based entirely on hearsay, so I'm not sure as to its validity, but I think it would be 4 black belts.

I heard it from the guy on FF Classic. He was pretty convincing.

That would be Dr Unne.

ANY 4 character party is better than 4 BBs.

Black Mage FF1
04-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Pfft. The worst four character part is easily 4 Thieves. Once you get to level 10 or higher a four black belt party becomes very easy and pretty powerful. The thieves will always suck until they turn to ninjas. But by then the 4 Black Belts will still be more powerful. The ninjas will just have better defense. Which doesn't really matter. The BB hp is so high that it pretty much makes up for it.

Oh and before any bring up the fact that the thieves run better. I already know this. But 4 characters (the BB) have a pretty good chance at running. And running is not gonna help in a boss fight.

ljkkjlcm9
04-03-2007, 04:30 AM
If I had to choose between 4 black belts, and 1 black belt, I'd choose one black belt, because you get 4x the EXP and level up much faster, so the BB becomes useful earlier.

THE JACKEL

Bluecho
04-15-2007, 10:51 PM
The fact that a single BB is only good offensively, then an all 4 BB party would be able to take any monster down.....if they can do it before the monster in question can attack. They are sitting ducks, consuming their entire supply of potions in the first three levels of a dungion.
At least with 4 thieves, they become pseudo Knights after class change in the form of Ninjas. They can wear good armor and hit pretty hard after that. Not to mention being able to use low level black magic.
If both parties were to reach the class change, the handycap on the Thief party would be greatly reduced, while the new Master Party will be just as challenged as before.
And to those who praise the BB's pure strength, as say this: An offensively strong party is useless if they are all dead.

Quickling
05-11-2007, 04:18 AM
the three heal items help 4 BBs a lot. Since you can kill anything in one hit, if there are less than 4 badguys, some BBs are using the heal staff/helm while the other few hit.... a lot.

demondude
05-11-2007, 04:56 PM
4 thiefs are pretty bad

Mage_of_Fire
05-15-2007, 08:28 AM
4 of anything isn't *that* hard, compared to a single character game.

Really, after playing (well, trying, I got bored) a single thief game, you really appreciate the ease with which a 4 character party plays the game.

BB's smell funny, so my vote goes for them. My actual vote would probably be 4 WM, as I'd think you'd run out of heal magic before you could kill a boss. ;) 4 TH would come in 2nd though (if you don't class change).

4 BM seems fairly easy, as does 4 Ninja.

LXX
06-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I donīt get why people think that four BBs would be the worse party... I just heard that Quickling defeated Chaos at level 30, with four BBs.

Four White mages or thiefs must be the worse party.

sockmonkey
06-06-2007, 04:03 PM

1. Both Water Axes and the Mage staff are found in the Sea Shrine, and thus the probability of not having them is fairly high.

2. 3 shots of Fire2 won't necessarilly kill a ghost, and I'd rather kill one every hit then wait until the second battle to grease them all.

But that's one situation.
What happens when you have to face Kary and Kraken in the ToF? Unless you get super lucky and they use spells, you're down at least 1 or 2 black belts by the time you reach chaos.

You have to level too high, in my opinion, for a party of 4.

You get the Zeus gauntlet and a heal helmet in the castle of ordeals. Not fantastic in a ghost fight but not sucky either.

Rengori
06-17-2007, 09:15 AM
"Four White Mages? It'll never work." ~ Black Mage, 8-Bit Theatre

:D
I agree with this one, it doesn't matter if the White Mages can heal if they only can heal like 30 HP and can only dish out a whopping 5 damage for most of the game. At least thieves and black belts can fight. Sorta.

Takara
06-18-2007, 01:08 AM

Quoted for truth.

darksword12
06-19-2007, 03:44 PM
For all you Black Belt haters out there: Have you ever actually played with one?

Sure, their defense may not be the best, but they do have plenty of HP. They require no equipment, and they do about twice the damage of a fighter each turn. I'll admit, my BB did take a sizable amount of damage, but he also dealt a ton. I personally think it was worth the trade-off.

Every character has their strengths and weaknesses. The challenge of a 4-of-one-class party is finding out how to best take advantage of the characters' strengths. 4 BB's can often defeat enemies before they get a chance to do any serious damage.

For this reason, I now believe that the worst party is 4 thieves. Running and weak equipment won't get you very far. Bare fists and a million and one critical hits will.

sir helix
06-21-2007, 02:02 AM
four wht mages= death

Laddy
06-21-2007, 03:48 AM
Four thieves make me want to impale myself with my own fingernail...

Zeromus_X
06-21-2007, 05:04 AM
I can imagine that four Warriors and four Red Mages would be successful, with four Monks being pretty successful too. I'd worry about White and Black Mages and Thieves though. Spellcasting is rather worthless in FFI, and the Thieves can't just run forever.

I don't understand what people have against Monks.

Goldenboko
06-21-2007, 05:34 AM
4WM oh, the horror, if there's one thing I can't stand its watching a WM trying to take down an enemy.

Freya Coral
08-03-2007, 06:17 PM

Seconded. Four BB's would be dead in two milliseconds from getting beaten to death by everything.

Four White Mages come in a close second.

ReloadPsi
08-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Four Black Mages come in a runaway first (I can't believe I've gone this entire thread without mentioning that). At least White Mages can keep themselves alive and have more HP, sometimes even more so than my favourite, Red Mage. Black Mages have considerably better offensive power than White Mages, but so do Black Belts, and their fists are way cheaper than FIR2. Sure, Black Belts have the defensive power of a wet paper hankie, but so do Black Mages, the difference is that Black Belts have more HP with which to absorb the same damage.

I'll quote Uncyclopedia once again: The Black Mage is a joke played on rookie FF1 players. (One which people will fall for time and again because they're aesthetically pleasing.)

Nevertheless, in a major stroke of irony, I once found two White Mages and two Black Mages to be an easy run: It was like four Red Mages but with better magic and crappier defense.

Azalar
10-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Four Monks - Masters

I mean, they do nothing, and so far, I have only 2 weapons for them. Nanchuka and Iorn Nanchuka

Bowser
10-11-2007, 02:19 AM
I'd say Thieves in the beginning. But probably BB's later in the game.

Crossblades
10-14-2007, 05:03 PM
White Mages

Heath
10-14-2007, 05:22 PM
I've never been convinced that 4 BBs was the worst single-class run through to be honest. Four thieves on the other hand, I can believe. Running doesn't make you stronger, but more HP and the ability to deal more damage does. At least 4 BBs is the cheapest party!

Lenneth
10-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I'd say the four BB are the suckiest.

FF1_Geek
10-29-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm kind of surprised by how many people are saying that four Black Belts/Masters would be the worst party because their defense/armor is low. That may be true, but this can be mitigated in couple of ways:
1. They have relatively high HP. Only the Fighter/Knight seems to have more.
2. They'll have ProRings and three will have Ribbons. So effect attacks don't really work. Also, the top one will have the Opal bracelet, which is equal to Flame or Ice armor.
3. Lastly, it's easy to prevent the need for a ton of heal potions simply by making sure three out of four have heal helmets and a heal staff. It's quite effective to intentionally not kill a weak enemy and simply spend a few rounds healing yourself.

I'd vote for 4 Thieves/Ninjas. It takes forever to level up early on in the game; honestly, it's worse than any other all-class party. Secondly, even after the class change they're never really able to muster any serious killing power, not getting the hits a Master would, nor hitting with the power of a Knight. They do have FAST spells, but that's not something that's really used in a non-boss fight. When I did this class I needed to level up nearly all of the them to 35 or so before I could beat the game. And even then I think I bothered to get one up to 50 just to be sure.

eestlinc
11-04-2007, 05:33 AM
four white mages might not die so fast, but you will run out of spells to cast eventually, and you will spend tons on potions. and you won't kill anything. Having four white mages is like having four fighters in the marsh cave, except for the entire game.