PDA

View Full Version : Too picky?

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
is it me or are some people really picky when it comes to playing games? XII so far on here has got more bad posts then good and when DC came out it was the same i think some people play the games and look for things that are wrong and are never happy.

Remon
03-04-2007, 09:53 PM
I never actually do that
I usually see the best in any game

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 09:57 PM
i think thats the best way to be unless it so bad that theirs nothing to be happy with

Nominus Experse
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
When people bitch, they are given attention.

Fynn
03-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Yeah... That's one thing I'll never unserstand... 'Cause to me it seems it's negative attention... Why do they want it? You can get attention by telling people how good the game is. It's harder of course, but if you make it interesting, you can get even more attention than for bitching...
Or maybe they're just emo... :confused:

Anyway, I always look at the good points of the game.

Hazzard
03-04-2007, 10:24 PM
That's what I'm always saying, but nobody listens...
(that was funny right!?!?)

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 11:13 PM
of course theirs a couple of things wrong but no game is perfect and i think theirs a lot more positive thing in this game then bad

Renmiri
03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
With all the hype some games get, people can't help but feel disappointed when they actually play the game. That and the reputation of the FF series makes me and some other gamers expect the moon and the stars from any new game with FF on the title.

chrisfffan
03-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I know what you mean my mum when she first saw star wars at the cinema she didn’t think it was all that because of the hype but I think we should all know by now not to listen to the hype I didn’t and I think that’s why I am enjoying the game more.

farplaner
03-05-2007, 12:16 AM

...so you're saying that people make negative comments about the game because they want attention? :rolleyes2

For me, (to simplify it) what it boils down to is that playing through XII and beating it didn't leave me with the same feeling I got from previous FF's.

Of course there are a lot of good elements to XII. I just think the developers were a little overly ambitious with some areas of the game.

That doesn't mean I despise XII or anything, though.

Renmiri
03-05-2007, 01:20 AM
My main reason for bitching is because I like the game. Seriously.

It's the wasted potential. I see how better it could have been if Square had twisted Nobuo Uematsu's arm to be the composer. If they got a better script writer...

It is just hard - for me - to see how good they were in lots of new stuff and then watch how they didn't do so good on other areas.

I get very annoyed at FFXII's flaws. Because they are in stuff that SE knows how to do right. Had they messed up in areas they never done before I would be more forgiving.

Meh, call me picky, I deserve it ;)

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Am I picky?

Of course. I would be lying if I said no. ;)

But I've been playing this genre for ages, since the 16-bit era as well as going back occasionally and playing the 8-bit era as well.

Does this make me an authority over what is good and bad?

Hell no.

It's just after you play so many of the same genre, you start to develope certain "taste". You notice patterns and learn what is best to suit your own interest. One of my pet peeves with FFIX and FFX, for example, is the fact they use the cliche of the "lead heroine running off to 'save everyone' by doing something incredibly stupid and forcing your party to have to go rescue them". It's one of two flaws that keeps FFIX from being almost perfect and it's one of many issues I have with FFX. It's a specific pet-peeve I gained after playing alot of RPG over the years. But it's also my persoanl taste. Others may have found the scene compelling for the character. I find it annoying and a stupid excuse to get your party to the next dungeon.

The fact is, different people have different taste. It's when they all converge does conflict arose. Personally, I find it disrespectful to waltz into a specific gaming forum and start blasting the very thing these people love. FFX is my least favorite FF in the series, but I haven't gone into the FFX forums and created a thread to say how awful I feel it is. I might make a comment in a more general forum but I rarely create a thread specifically to denounce a game; cause it means something to someone.

Renmiri
03-05-2007, 04:42 PM
I agree to a certain point WK. It's a new game, where can I post my thoughts on FFXII ? On the FFXII forum.

I haven't created any thread about the problems I see with it, and I stay clear away from the "I love FFXII" threads. I also try to only post positive stuff on the threads like "what is this game like", but I do think it is appropriate to post my 2 cents on the "bashing" threads. :)

rubah
03-05-2007, 10:00 PM
There's a reason this forum's description is what it is.

Wolf Kanno
03-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I agree to a certain point WK. It's a new game, where can I post my thoughts on FFXII ? On the FFXII forum.

I haven't created any thread about the problems I see with it, and I stay clear away from the "I love FFXII" threads. I also try to only post positive stuff on the threads like "what is this game like", but I do think it is appropriate to post my 2 cents on the "bashing" threads. :)

I don't mind adding your 2 cents to how you feel, it's just when you decide to either create threads to specifically bash it or even worse... become a damn forum troll who only comes into these threads to start fights. It's obvious they don't like the game at all, so why are you here?

Especially since all they ever do is bash the game, usually leave no real reason why they hate it or when they do leave reason's and they get countered, they never reply back. They posted for the sole sake of just saying how much they hate a game.

Renmiri
03-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Oh you were talking about trolls.

Aye, they stink up the forums they get to.

chrisfffan
03-06-2007, 11:52 PM
what i mean is with the first ff game you played you probably didn’t have any expectations about the game because you didn’t know about it my first ff game was 8 and i love it but with people who played 7 before they tended not to like it. I think if you played this game for the first time without playing the other games your opinions would be different.

Renmiri
03-07-2007, 01:13 AM
That is a good point, my expectations were for something as good or better than my favorite (and my first) FF, so yeah, it was a letdown, any game would be.

FFXII is a good game, in spite of the weak story.

Ko Ko
03-07-2007, 01:19 AM
I know I'M fairly picky about which ones I play, but you have to think of games the way the companies think of them: threat or flop.

chrisfffan
03-07-2007, 10:42 PM
i dont think its a flop X-2 was a flop this is a good game.

Wolf Kanno
03-08-2007, 12:07 AM
what i mean is with the first ff game you played you probably didn’t have any expectations about the game because you didn’t know about it my first ff game was 8 and i love it but with people who played 7 before they tended not to like it. I think if you played this game for the first time without playing the other games your opinions would be different.

This was my issue with FFVII, I loved FFIV and FFVI. I heard tales of FFVII being the best in the series. I finally got to play through it and was so disappointed that I hated the game for years. I replayed it a few times trying to figure out why people loved it so much and once I realized that my main gripes came from my unrealistic expectations and the annoying fanbase, I came to an "understanding" with the game. I think better of the game than I used to but I still don't like the ODF's that spawn from it.

Xurts
03-08-2007, 03:48 AM
Expectations and hype are probably where a lot of the criticism of FF12 comes from. People get the game thinking that it should have all of the common story elements that FFs tend to have like love stories, a sole villain who wants power, etc, and when they play FF12 and see that it doesn't and that it's story flows a bit differently, they bash it and are disappointed. Same with the hype. People are expecting it to be greater than life and completely flawless (it's FF, of course it must be), but when they discover that it isn't, they conclude that it's not as good as past FFs.

I realize that there is a fair share of people who played the game and just didn't fancy it for whatever reasons, but it just seems to me that there are alot of people who didn't like it because of their expectations.

That's why when I play games like this, I forget about all of the hype it gets and how great or poor past games have been, and I begin playing with the simple expectations of a fun and enjoyable game. Nothing else. It's not until I've played a game for several hours and have seen most of the aspects that I develop an opinion on it.

So far, I think FF12 is a fantastic game and definitely one of my favorites.

chrisfffan
04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
i think its good for a change that their wasnt a love story it was getting so predictable i havent played the game for a while now i have just got past the forest how long is left?

Sergeant Hartman
04-06-2007, 11:14 PM
i have just got past the forest how long is left?
Depends on the forest.

chrisfffan
04-06-2007, 11:21 PM
theirs more then one? well im at the on where the sheilds are down and i cant finally leave

Xurts
04-07-2007, 02:03 AM
theirs more then one? well im at the on where the sheilds are down and i cant finally leave
That's Golmore Jungle. There's also the Salikawood and Feywood. I haven't been to the Feywood yet but I'm assuming it's also a forest.

Renmiri
04-08-2007, 12:26 AM
aye it is. 3 woods in Ivalice: Golmore jungle, Feywood and Salikawood.