PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent

abrojtm
03-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Well, I'm a little (years) behind the times of <s>illegal copyright infringement</s> downloading files from the internet, and I pay for crap.
That's neither here nor there though. I need a BitTorrent client to use for non-illegal purposes. I was wondering about some recommendations for some clients with an easy and user-friendly interface. Maybe some getting started directions?

Bahamut2000X
03-05-2007, 01:45 AM
I like Azureus, it's nifty looking and let's me have all my downloads in one window, and it runs in the background too.

XxSephirothxX
03-05-2007, 02:09 AM
uTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/) is the way to go, in my opinion.

Simple, clean interface, all the features you'll need, fast to load up and easy to use.

o_O
03-05-2007, 02:56 AM
uTorrent is the best client for Windows; small memory footprint and a small application size (175KB, or thereabouts).

ctorrent is my favourite though.

Nominus Experse
03-05-2007, 03:24 AM
I like Azureus, it's nifty looking and let's me have all my downloads in one window, and it runs in the background too.
Azureus is bloated. It eats up memory it doesn't need, and its methodology of upgrading is demonic...

Don't use Azureus.

On the other hand, uTorrent uses around 1/6 the memory Azureus does, and offers all the perks that Azureus does.

The Mog Ninja
03-05-2007, 03:26 AM
how bout just download BitTorrent? or BitComet, they kinda suck but they r easy 2 find

Bahamut2000X
03-05-2007, 03:27 AM
Azureus is bloated. It eats up memory it doesn't need, and its methodology of upgrading is demonic...

Don't use Azureus.

On the other hand, uTorrent uses around 1/6 the memory Azureus does, and offers all the perks that Azureus does.

:cry:

Nominus Experse
03-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Azureus is a whore:

Peegee
03-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I have 2.5 gigs of ram (don't ask why) so I couldn't care less about that. Just cpu usage.

Pick up bittornado. It looks like the original BT interface which in-turn looks like an IE download screen. Easy to understand.

Mirage
03-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Azureus is a resource whore, but it has a lot of nice features that I like.

Roto13
03-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Azureus is a whore:

Eww, Vista.

I use uTorrent. BitComet is pretty cool, too.

Nominus Experse
03-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Azureus is a whore:

Eww, Vista.

Haha, you've been fooled, Roto. I do not have Vista, and don't plan to in the near future. What you mistook to be Vista was a Vista-look-alike theme that you can have your computer make use of once you fiddle around with certain parameters - without having to use a bloated program (or program at all for that matter) like WindowsBlinds. O_o showed it to me.

Roto13
03-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Azureus is a whore:

Eww, Vista.

Haha, you've been fooled, Roto. I do not have Vista, and don't plan to in the near future. What you mistook to be Vista was a Vista-look-alike theme that you can have your computer make use of once you fiddle around with certain parameters - without having to use a bloated program (or program at all for that matter) like WindowsBlinds. O_o showed it to me.
I have eight of those Vista themes. I didn't have to fiddle with anything. I just used a patch dealy.

I stand by my eww. Vista looks crappy too.

Nominus Experse
03-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Meh...

So what client did you happen to choose, abrojtm?

abrojtm
03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
uTorrent, for now. I only have 1 gig of RAM currently, and it's working fine for me so far.

Samuraid
03-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Azureus is a resource whore, but it has a lot of nice features that I like.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

o_O
03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Despite being a Java programmer, I don't like that Azureus is coded in Java, since it's so much slower than say, C or C++. I also dont like how it consumes resources; uTorrent is proof that it's not necessary. :p

Nominus Experse
03-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Not to mention that uTorrent has uTris!

Samuraid
03-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Despite being a Java programmer, I don't like that Azureus is coded in Java, since it's so much slower than say, C or C++. I also dont like how it consumes resources; uTorrent is proof that it's not necessary. :p
I would like to see a pure C(++) version of Azureus...unless you say uTorrent is essentially the answer to that desire. :)