PDA

View Full Version : USB speed?

Zeromus_X
03-05-2007, 04:47 AM
Well, I recently bought this Dazzle DVC video capture device so I could capture gameplay footage. Everything was going great, I miraculously was able to install and hook everything up properly without difficulty. However, there's just one problem with my USB port, whenever I click on 'Start Capture', I get this message:

Sorry, cannot capture.

The data rate on Drive C: is less than the required rate of 4213 Kbyte/second.

Is there any way to set up my computer so that it can increase the 'data rate'? Or would I need to purchase something else? I'm guessing this has something to do with the speed of my USB port, since Dazzle apparently requires a high speed USB port (at least, the version I purchased). Again, I apologize for my computer illiteracy.

XxSephirothxX
03-05-2007, 05:54 AM
I think what this means is that the Dazzle thing requires USB 2.0, but your computer only has USB 1 ports. So they're too slow. I don't think there's a way to just "make" them faster, but there's probably something you can do to get it to work. I don't know what that would be, though. :(

o_O
03-05-2007, 05:58 AM
I'm guessing that you need USB2.0 but you are either using USB1.0 or your USB controller is packing in and only recognizing devices at USB1.0 speed.

In either case, you would probably be best to find a cheap PCI USB2.0 controller and install it; that should give you the required data rate.

It also may not be the bandwidth from the USB controller causing the problem, but something bottlenecking the CPU (etc.) so that the instructions aren't reaching the USB device quickly enough. That would be a matter for a PC technician, as it likely means some part of your computer is dying. :p

EDIT: Way to upstage me Azar. :{

Nominus Experse
03-05-2007, 06:09 AM
If it happens to need USB 2.0, then you will need to buy some hardware. To my knowledge, it's impossible to make USB 1.0 work as fast as 2.0 simply due to software changes and the like.

If it's a desktop we are speaking of, you can find a PCI card that has USB 2.0 ports (Cost varies with how many ports and perks you get with the card, but the price range seems to range from $18.00 - 32.00). There are also methods of making front-mounted ones ones; and this article walks you through such a process (http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5124006-1.html?tag=fs).

EDIT: Wow... I should hit the "submit" button before heading off to gather food...

Yamaneko
03-05-2007, 06:13 AM
I doubt it's the CPU. I don't think the program would troubleshoot and make sure the USB device was transferring at optimal speeds. It probably just recognized it was plugged into a USB 1.x controller and came up with that message.

Cid
03-05-2007, 07:12 AM
I have that Dazzle thing to and I don't get that error. And I use 2.0. Just so ya know.

o_O
03-05-2007, 07:48 AM
I doubt it's the CPU. I don't think the program would troubleshoot and make sure the USB device was transferring at optimal speeds. It probably just recognized it was plugged into a USB 1.x controller and came up with that message.

The CPU possibility was just an example; it's unlikely to be that, but it could be a similar situation with other pieces as well. The program wouldn't really have to troubleshoot per se, because all it would need to do is check for a congruous stream of data. If the physical I/O of the hardware is not being performed quickly enough then it doesn't need to check any further to know the transfer rate is below a certain plateau.

But yeah, the CPU is a too remote a possibility to bother checking. :p

Zeromus_X
03-06-2007, 03:59 AM
Well, it seems I'll have to upgrade to 2.0 then. Thank you all for your help. :) :cat: