PDA

View Full Version : Zombie logistics question :

Peegee
03-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Everybody here knows that upon an outbreak of Zombies the first thing you do (aside from grabbing your sawed off shotgun and miramasas) is fill up your bathtubs with water (you can figure out how to clean the water later) -- this is because you don't know when water will become a rarity.

However what about toilets? Don't they also run on water? What happens to your 'plumbing' down the road? Will you just poop out the side of your building from the roof or do these stealth missions to poop out in the yard?

The above scenario presumes you are smart enough to hole out in your home for a few days unti you figure out where to go.

PS: I'm about 6-8 hours away from the Ontario northern lakes, so I will probably head that way. Will I be heading into a deathtrap?

Discuss the above and other zombie-related logistics questions not covered in Mel Brook's book about Zombie survival.

ps: would a snow plow be superior to most other vehicles, or would you still die?

escobert
03-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Snow plow ftw! PG lets release zombies and you can see if your plan works!

Peegee
03-05-2007, 09:54 AM
okay! *releases into trowabarton's home*

Jowy
03-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I think that a bulldozer would be more effective than a snow plow, myself.

Peegee
03-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Most of those vehicles will end up either burned out or out of gasoline. Then what?

Ultimately the best thing to do is to trek up north and hang around in the rivers / lakes.

Mirage
03-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Water in a bathtub would go bad long before the water supply stopped. If anything, I would get carbonated or distilled water, it lasts longer.

Jowy
03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Still, a snow plow will run out of gas eventually. Plus I'm sure a horde of zombies would make quick work of any vehicle. Proceeding on foot is the best way to go.

Peegee
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Still, a snow plow will run out of gas eventually. Plus I'm sure a horde of zombies would make quick work of any vehicle. Proceeding on foot is the best way to go.

Until you get tired.

I say a bicycle is the best. It's 'on foot' and you go faster.

Jowy
03-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Well you're going to get tired out either way. You're screwed if those zombies jump on your bike.

Mirage
03-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Zombies can't run, much less jump :p.

The Mog Ninja
03-05-2007, 11:13 AM
y would water become a rarity? well at least here in australia we have these magic things called taps and water comes out of them, just turn the tap and theres the water! and in a zombie thing id barricade myself in my house

EDIT: oh contrare (or whatever), in DoTD, u can see a zombie running as fast as a car

Jowy
03-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Zombies can't run, much less jump :p.

Crimson heads.

Mirage
03-05-2007, 11:17 AM
crimson heads wut

EDIT: oh contrare (or whatever), in DoTD, u can see a zombie running as fast as a car
That's no zombie, it's a space station.

The Mog Ninja
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
dotd=Dawn of the Dead, at the beginning after the girl's husband is zombified and she climbs out the window, the man with the gun is hit by a truck (LOL!!!!!!!!) and she gets in the car. she speeds off and her husband is sprinting after her until she floors it and just gets faster than him.

Jowy
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
A Crimson Head is a type of zombie (officialy named the V-ACT by Umbrella). After the T-Virus infects a normal human being, it rapidly initiates a brain cell decline, but should the new zombie be incapacitated, after a time, its cell tissue regenerates and becomes more fresh, making it able to run. The T-Virus causes deeper necrotizing effects and terrible blood seeping, giving it a crimson skin, small claws, heavy resistance to common firearms, slightly increased intelligence and a more aggressive attitude. Capable of a crouching sprint, clawing attacks, and limited jumping, a Crimson Head presents a significant threat to all but a heavily armed combatant. Essentially rendering sidearms useless, engagement with anything but an explosive or shotgun is highly discouraged.

The process is only halted by incinerating the fallen zombie, decapitation or by blowing out its knee caps, thereby destroying any possibility for regeneration and mutation. Areas in which a zombie was dispatched and left untended are to be deemed extremely hazardous, and any encounter with a Crimson Head where the combatant does not have access to more powerful weapons (I.E. Grenade Launchers, grenades, assault rifles, shotguns) are under advisement to flee immediately. If the Crimson Head is killed, it will no longer resurrect itself.

blackmage_nuke
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
the first thing you do (aside from grabbing your sawed off shotgun and miramasas) is fill up your bathtubs with water (you can figure out how to clean the water later) -- this is because you don't know when water will become a rarity.There's this thing called rain, where fresh water fall from the sky. I know I sound like a crack head but its true!!!

Unless you get zombie factories and industries making acid rain. But if injuries prevent the operation of heavy machinery I think death would also be the same situation

The Mog Ninja
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
lawl ur so sarcastic nuker

Rye
03-05-2007, 11:28 AM
That book is so great, PG. I heard he made another book, though I dunno if that's another zombie survival one.

The Mog Ninja
03-05-2007, 11:59 AM
a book about zombie survival? LOL!!!

Bunny
03-05-2007, 12:02 PM
There's this thing called rain, where fresh water fall from the sky. I know I sound like a crack head but its true!!!

Ten bucks says you are dead day one. First hour. You never count on weather in situations like Zombie attacks.

What you want to do. Nay, what you need to do, is not stay in one place too long. In the case of a Zombie attack, you want to hole yourself up in your house for a couple of days. After that is done, you grab the supplies you absolutely need, not just limiting yourself to weapons, and you make your way to the next base of operations that you set up beforehand.

There, you should have more supplies, like water and food, ammunition for whatever weapons that you have, and some other weapons. You will stay at this base for a few more days than you stayed at your first one, then you will move onto your next base.

You want to travel in groups and become a heartless, but "caring" bastard, because when push comes to shove, you can use your "buddies" as a meatshield. Survivour mentality, baby. Me or them. I choose me. If one of them gets bit, you kill them.

If you come into an onslaught of zombies; a zombie mob, don't waste your ammunition killing them. You gotta kill the necessary ones, the ones that are closest to you, while you map your escape route in your head. This is not a job for stupid people. You're stupid, you're dead. You gotta think fast and think ahead constantly. Zombies are slow and stupid, but they outnumber you a thousand to one, if not more.

What's this about a zombie survival guide?

P.S. If you have enough time and it is safe enough, make the outside of your house look like it has already been trashed.

Jowy
03-05-2007, 12:06 PM

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/zombie-survival-guide.jpg

blackmage_nuke
03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Ten bucks says you are dead day one. First hour. You never count on weather in situations like Zombie attacks.Deal, luckily I'll be too dead to pay you and money wont matter in the zombie world

Bunny
03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Then I'll eat your corpse to survive.

blackmage_nuke
03-05-2007, 12:27 PM
You'd better get there before the zombies do

Fonzie
03-05-2007, 01:37 PM
The water in the tub thing can work. All you have to do is purify the water with a little bit of Chlorine. I have almost played every zombie game ever made(Dead Rising, Resident Evil1-4, etc.). Being a hunter also helps because of my guns out my house. Get on your roof and snipe them bitches :mog:

Tavrobel
03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Blessed Hammers ignore Undead defense!

Bunny
03-05-2007, 01:43 PM
The water in the tub thing can work. All you have to do is purify the water with a little bit of Chlorine. I have almost played every zombie game ever made(Dead Rising, Resident Evil1-4, etc.). Being a hunter also helps because of my guns out my house. Get on your roof and snipe them bitches :mog:

Make your presence known.

THUMBS UP

Video games do not equal expert in zombie survival.

Old Manus
03-05-2007, 03:52 PM
You search the area for a very long time until you find a human who isn't a zombie, then you split up to meet each other again further through town.

Actually I'm not even gonna bother with Resident Evil jokes because there are too many.

loben
03-05-2007, 04:04 PM
well, first your barricade your local walmart, then clean it out of all zombie infestations. there should be enugh food stuff to last for a least a few weeks. If your barricades are good enough, the Zombies won't see you in there so they on't attack. I n the mean time, you find all the ladders and what not in walmart, and build a bridge to the nearest building, clear that out, then rinse and repeat. After a while you should have your self A nice fortress.

Savern Volaco
03-05-2007, 04:41 PM
You know I would go find my special Cave In the at the top of a cliff (ten minutes away)...I would carry firearms and I wait and Feed off my personal emergeny supplies I have there ( I go there to think ) and I would wait and not care for other humans only me. from there I wiat for a while and plan a basic stragity, And I would agree on Going to the nearest fresh water lake and tug along a boat or use the one you have there if you had one there prior and set anchor in the middle of the lake and catch fish, purify lake water and relax in the comfy cabin cruiser.

Mirage
03-05-2007, 04:46 PM
A Crimson Head is a type of zombie (officialy named the V-ACT by Umbrella). After the T-Virus infects a normal human being, it rapidly initiates a brain cell decline, but should the new zombie be incapacitated, after a time, its cell tissue regenerates and becomes more fresh, making it able to run. The T-Virus causes deeper necrotizing effects and terrible blood seeping, giving it a crimson skin, small claws, heavy resistance to common firearms, slightly increased intelligence and a more aggressive attitude. Capable of a crouching sprint, clawing attacks, and limited jumping, a Crimson Head presents a significant threat to all but a heavily armed combatant. Essentially rendering sidearms useless, engagement with anything but an explosive or shotgun is highly discouraged.

The process is only halted by incinerating the fallen zombie, decapitation or by blowing out its knee caps, thereby destroying any possibility for regeneration and mutation. Areas in which a zombie was dispatched and left untended are to be deemed extremely hazardous, and any encounter with a Crimson Head where the combatant does not have access to more powerful weapons (I.E. Grenade Launchers, grenades, assault rifles, shotguns) are under advisement to flee immediately. If the Crimson Head is killed, it will no longer resurrect itself.
Pft, the majority of the zombies wouldn't be like those. I would simply level-grind on the weaker zombies and infected humans until my level was high enough to take them on.

theundeadhero
03-05-2007, 04:50 PM
ZOMBIES DON'T EXIST!

Jowy
03-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Pft, the majority of the zombies wouldn't be like those. I would simply level-grind on the weaker zombies and infected humans until my level was high enough to take them on.

Yeah, those bottom feeders are just gone with a few bullets to the head. We should still load up on some ammo just in case tho'

Mirage
03-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Oh by the way...

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/zombie-survival-guide.jpg

This book is much better:
http://home.no.net/steak/images/robotuprising.jpg
So good, I actually bought it.

Bunny
03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
We need a Robot Zombie Samurai book.

fire_of_avalon
03-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I'll be on Bunny's team when the zombies come.

Shauna
03-05-2007, 07:07 PM

Until he decides that it's time for you to be his meatshield? =[

Ko Ko
03-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Nah, I'M always the meatshield.

Bunny
03-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Nah, girl's are safe. You need a few for repopulation.

Cruise Control
03-05-2007, 07:42 PM
All this reminds me of www.urbandead.com

Drift
03-05-2007, 07:46 PM

Nah, girl's are safe. You need a few for repopulation.

especially girls like iri ;)

Yamaneko
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I'd go looking for Wii's so that after the outbreak is over I can become a king selling them off. If everyone is dead I can at least play Metroid and SSBB at the same time.

Iceglow
03-06-2007, 01:52 AM
First things first wear tight form fitting clothes, avoid loose buckles and straps the more skin tight the better this stops the Zombies from pulling you back by them. Make sure lads and ladies you bulk up the protection on these clothings, fingernails will be stopped dead by leather so aim for that, on shoulders, necks and everything else you need to put some form of added protection either bulk up the padding here or get some hard metal/plastic protection, BMX body armour is possibly a good suggestion here. then get a bladed weapon, if you don't have a sword tie a big kitchen knife or two to the end of a broom handle and somehow secrete about 30 others on your person these give you minimal weaponry.

Dr Aum
03-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Resistance is futile. You will be zombified.

loben
03-06-2007, 03:26 AM
not if your first....
(stabs neck with tvirus needle)

Araciel
03-06-2007, 06:49 AM
water in the bathtub? sure....all you have to do is boil it if it becomes undrinkable, or use condensation to purify it, condensed water is as clean as rain....scratch that...as clean as can be expected naturally.

ever see the omega man?? that would probably be the way to go, although those pesky zombies have a way of shambling through any real defenses somehow, or some snot nosed kid ruins the barriers for true love or a dog or something.

Giga Guess
03-06-2007, 01:22 PM
The water method is feasible for a little while, but as was mentioned, you'd have to purify it after any real amount of time. All you have to do is boil the water, put some plastic a bit above it, and channel he water into another container. The water you get it virtually 100% pure!

Also, w00t! Good to see you again Iri!

Quindiana Jones
03-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I think the plow that's triangular (if you know what I mean) would be best, because you wouldn't get a build up of zombie bodies in the front that could, and probably would, slow you down, thus creating a higher chance of you dying.

Peegee
03-06-2007, 05:25 PM
I think the plow that's triangular (if you know what I mean) would be best, because you wouldn't get a build up of zombie bodies in the front that could, and probably would, slow you down, thus creating a higher chance of you dying.

That's exactly the plow type I meant. However, and regardless, plows have lousy gas milleage so you will invariably die anyway xD

Quindiana Jones
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I'd just grab a chainsaw and ploppy loads of fuel for it and leg it. However, resistance would be futile because, as proven by Dawn of the Dead (is that not the funniest "horror" ever?), no matter where you escape to: there'll be zombies.

Shlup
03-06-2007, 09:12 PM
I don't think a snow plow would be a very good choice for me.

I'd make my way up to LA so I could stand on piles of bodies, crying out in animalistic rage.

~*~Celes~*~
03-06-2007, 09:18 PM
y would water become a rarity? well at least here in australia we have these magic things called taps and water comes out of them, just turn the tap and theres the water! and in a zombie thing id barricade myself in my house

You mean "au contraire" :p

If the world were taken over by zombies, I'd definantly lock myself up in my house and board all but one of the windows and both of the doors. I'd use the unboarded window to get in and out of the house when necessary (supplies and whatnot) and I'd always have a weapon on me at all times with plenty of ammunition.

Madame Adequate
03-06-2007, 10:33 PM
That book is so great, PG. I heard he made another book, though I dunno if that's another zombie survival one.

World War Z is one of the best things I read last year.

Anyway, as to zombie logistics (And many other circumstances of civil breakdown).

DO NOT drink the water. Not without establishing the transmission methods of zombieism, at least - if you confirm that it cannot be transmitted through the water supply then go ahead. Otherwise, you'll need to purify everything before drinking it, unless you get desperate. Your best bet is to stockpile water now, while there's no such risk, and use that until things are clear later.

Now, a snow plow would depend on your environment. If you're in a snowy place, it's probably not a bad idea, as long as you don't go too fast (You may need to dive off it).

Craig
03-06-2007, 10:39 PM
You know the the only place in the world that won't be affected? The place in The Truman Show. Trumanville? Trumany? Trumasia?

Araciel
03-06-2007, 10:46 PM
i think it's called trumania...duh

:P

MILF brings up a good point, even bottled water isn't safe unless you know it's not the source!

sockmonkey
03-07-2007, 10:37 AM
What you do depends on the nature of the zombies and your situation:
1 what are the zombie's phsical capabilities?
2 how contagious is the zombie virus and how is it transmitted?
3 do the zombies eventually decompose too much to function? if so how long does it take?
4 how many of the already dead rise as zombies instead of just rotting?
5 what is the terrain like?
6 what are your capabilities and skills?
7 what weapons and supplies do you have access to?
8 can you contact help?
9 are there zombies worldwide or just in your town?
10 did the authorities/army/general population find out about the zombies in time to make any preperations?

Zeldy
03-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Zombies make me squeal like a little girl. I got nightmares from Dawn of the Dead, and I screamed during Shaun of the Dead. When I was very little, I had nightmares for months due to watching a Halloween Simpsons which involved zombies.

So If zombies ever came, Id just scare myself to death xD

loben
03-07-2007, 11:43 PM
you know, I think about half of us would die before we figured out they were zombies. You'd be walking along when one attacks you and you thought is was some guy trying to play a prank.

Iceglow
03-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Simply put in the UK you're pretty smurfed, I mean who has guns in the UK? Farmers, the military, police (a small % do) and criminals, Criminals have very little ammo if any so rule them out, left with getting to a farmers house, hoping he isn't a zombie or shooting anyone who approaches and taking his shot gun from his house. Or trying to steal from a secure lockbox in a police station, or going to a military base. Oh and Brittish army assault rifles = no good to lefties as fire it from the left shoulder and get a face full of hot lead and your jaw shattered by the hammer. So lefties try to shoot from the right shoulder or hip that or find an mp5/pistols. Even then in such an event the police are quite possibly going to be well hit by the zombies having first trying to subdue rather than execute. The army well if not doing the same would be in war conditions shooting all who approach.

Personally I'm ok I reckon, I have 2 swords, both antiques, a short and a Rapier, now a spannish 16/17th century rapier is great and long but no good for slicing off heads leaving me the 10/11th century spatha (yes I own a greek Spatha.) to cut heads off with, which means up close and personal...I'd progress on foot to my mates house, he's damn big and assuming he isn't afflicted by the virus useful. I'd either team up with him or kill him if he is bitten, sorry better to die than be a zombie. I'd then make sure either I or we took the katana's he has in his house, 2 of which are live steel the other 3 are not but I have a whetstone nearby we could give the cold steel a live finish using. (where I live is not called Whetstone without reason the town has a huge whetstone used by 2 armies to sharpen blades 500 years apart or more)

I'd then somehow steal the nearest 4x4 off road veichle. Whether I would raid a house for the keys or just hotwire it depends on the zombie prescence in my area.

Next stop would be hereford military base, yes the home of the SAS I figure there would be safer than anywhere else, that or I'd atleast be able to sneak in and find a weapon with a large ammo cache and then leave.

Mitch
03-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Though in saying that you'd probably get owned and have to go all the way back to the last time you saved. Aka before you were born.

Tasura
03-08-2007, 01:47 AM
Luckily my father is a gun nut, so I literally have a closet full of guns, about 13 rifles/shotguns and 7 or so handguns, plus a bow, and I've got a couple of swords, first I'd take a handgun and sword and try and find the nearest person to me that wasn't infected, not to old as they are weaker, and not to young that they are defenseless, so someone around my age who at least knows how to shoot a gun, then send him to find others as I make preparations; food, water, ammo, that sort of thing. Then with rifles, ammo and a sword I'd set out with any others I could find, then head to the nearest police station, it's about 15km away, so I'd need ot find a car, if I would a car, I think I'd be all right for a few days. This is all asuming I'm home.

If I were to be at university, I'd be fucked the best thing I have here to use as a weapon would be forks and glass bottles if I broke them, otherwise I'd have to go into unarmed combat, and against zombies, that wouldn't be fun at all.

mooglebunni608
03-08-2007, 03:39 AM
Take the snowplow as far and as fast as it'll go, especially THROUGH a zombie crowd, you'll just plow them out of the way.

As for the water, it's always a good idea to stock up on purification pills.

And for toilets, do it in a bucket and once a day have somebody run it out a little ways away from the house :D

Jebus
03-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Inorganic parts can't be infected.

*replaces body parts with cybernetic ones*

Now I'm prepared.

Peegee
03-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Wearing a shark protection mesh is usually enough to survive being bitten by zombies (they survive shark bites).

Giga Guess
03-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Yup! If they can't bite you, you're pretty safe. However, you still have to worry about the neck and legs.

Iceglow
03-08-2007, 02:06 PM
OR you could go for the total Halfplate mail armour, half plate whilst still weighing around 90 pounds is damn fine protection, thick felt and sometimes even chainmail guard in between plates of hardened steel and then a gorget designed to stop a battle axe or sword covers the neck I think it's time to own!

that said 90 pounds is quite a bit of weight so you'd be slowed down and driving outta the question. but then zombies being slow ought to be no problem if you don't have to fight thousands at once.

Bunny
03-08-2007, 02:40 PM
A full suit of plate mail weighs, at best, 60 pounds. However, that is still too heavy to be safe. Armor will protect you from a bite, yeah, but the chance that you will get easily mobbed by a group of zombies increases. And when ten zombies are ontop of you, biting and clawing, it doesn't matter what you are wearing. You're dead. If light armor is available, sure, but in the end it really doesn't matter. If you get caught and it is close enough to bite you, chances are that's the end of it. Unless your reaction time is superb.

Araciel
03-08-2007, 11:51 PM
bear suit FTW

loben
03-09-2007, 11:45 PM
rofl. the same guy who made the bear suits designed a military use one thats still in prototype mode. to bad the illigal peper spray on it would be useless. and the linking to other suits.

well, I would grab a 410 shot gun, cuz the ammo for it is so small yet its still a shotgun. I'd also grab a .22, and a thirtyotsix.
My house contains all 3 of those guns and several cases of ammo for each.
then I'd pack a bunch of stuff (mainly food) in a car, and go to this rest stop about 45 miles away from the nearest town. There I would set up defenses, and go from there.

Mitch
03-09-2007, 11:50 PM
I'd keep my brain in a safe, secure place.

Araciel
03-10-2007, 12:08 AM
i would be a victim, and be apparently eaten.

Black heart
05-22-2008, 06:14 AM
Here's my plan for Z day. First few days hold up till the madness ebbs off, have plenty of food and water stored up for the long haul. When i comes to guns I'll take a 12 gauge Mossberg pump, no double barrel shots guns because too long to reload plus when you panic it makes it that much harder to reload. Now if you've read the zombie survival guide they recommend a bolt action rifle as the choice main stay weapon, I disagree. I'd rather have a assault rifle with single shot setting and discipline myself to one shot one kill and make better use of my surroundings to try to kill two or more zombies with one shot. My choice of weapons though is still two 12 inch Khukris blades with rubber wrapping to prevent it from giving away my position. The beauty of this weapon is its history of decapitation ability and its simple design which allows more kinetic force to be redirected to the edge of the weapon. Once water start to run low its time to first hit, not the supermarket, not the local pond, not the corner gas station but the cities water supply control centers. Why? well a purification plant has all the necessary means to filter clean water plus most usually have some sort of backup generator system that will support your needs for the time being. Food is going to be a whole lot harder to find. Food in my opinion is going to be the fastest dwindling resource once a full blown, defcon 5 scenario has begun. Food needs to be maintained in its own right otherwise it spoils, rots and/ or becomes stale and unedible. The more dry foods you can obtain the better off you are. Our sources of food also depend on us more than you think to survive, grow and bear fruit. So when the Zombies attack Fruit, Vegetables and a good deal of dairy products will no longer be within our grasp of obtaining or producing on a large enough scale to be of much use to anyone but maybe our selfs but even then don't expect a cherry tree to yield a daily or even weekly meal for you. Post our thoughts, I wish I knew about this board a long time ago.

Black Heart the Dark Druid

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Salt, lots of salt.

Behold the Void
05-22-2008, 07:04 AM
This is a good year old. Please don't revive old threads.