PDA

View Full Version : Attention guitar heroes!

boys from the dwarf
03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
o.k.

for those of you who own guitar hero 2 and have unlocked the song "Jordan" by buckethead.

go onto practice mode then select the song and go on expert. play the lead guitar and go on full speed. select guitar break to guitar solo F.

whats your best % score?

59%

you may be thinking that 59% percent is crap and im a NooB or something similar but i swear this is the hardest song on the game. its loads harder than free bird which i can complete with a very respectable score.

its quite fun to play that section on the slowest speed but anyway. try it. on a guitar its possible but on a guitar controller i swear you cant play that fast.

just try it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FdMNtwMqqc

amazing. but even this guy was circling the drain in that solo.

Jowy
03-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Just witnessing that song makes me want to cry a little.

Kirobaito
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM
The guy playing in the video is using hyperspeed. I don't like it when people use hyperspeed.

Doing Guitar Break to Guitar Solo F, the first time I tried I got 57%. I tried it again and got 60%. I've never finished Jordan. I've done every other song with at least 4 stars, with the exception of Psychobilly Freakout and Institutionalized, which have only 3.

The farthest I've ever gotten in Jordan is 56%. I really screw myself at the very end of Guitar Solo A, with that set of three-note runs. If I could just passively get by that, I might even be able to beat the song. But I get myself almost to the red right before the real solos start, and so am forced to use my star power immediately.

The rest of the song up until that point, though, I can get 90-95%.

Roto13
03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Institutionalized, Psychobilly Freakout and... the one two songs before Psychobilly Freakout... are evil. I hate them. I hate them hate them hate them. They're random notes, I say.

Tasura
03-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Institutionalized, Psychobilly Freakout and... the one two songs before Psychobilly Freakout... are evil. I hate them. I hate them hate them hate them. They're random notes, I say.

Try playing them on a normal PS2 controller. *shudder*

Also, I only play on Medium due to lack of the guitar controller, and the shoulder buttons + x gives you a huge mindfuck trying to play on hard or expert, though, I am close to being able to pass on hard, with a PS2 controller.

boys from the dwarf
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
really. get the controller. there is very little point in playing without the guitar. its not nearly as fun and it doesn't look nearly as cool.

Psychobilly Freakout is o.k after a while but institutionalized is a nasty.

i've played 30 out of 40 songs on expert. i know i can complete it but i cant really be bothered to prove it yet.

i dont ever plan to be good enough to play jordan. it'll either happen naturally through years of playing or i'll somehow end up with no social life and practice for 3 hours a day or it'll just never happen.

Tasura
03-05-2007, 10:10 PM
The reason I have the game and not the guitar is because my friend wanted a second guitar, but no stores here carry just the guitar, so he had to buy another guitar + game pack, but didnt have enough, so I split the cost with him and got the game.

boys from the dwarf
03-06-2007, 07:43 AM
ah. still. getting the guitar is really worth it. the guitar is infinetly better than a controller.

on most of that guitar solo is just flail around (not randomly but i try the play the right notes) moving my fingers like crazy and strumming fast while i do a crazy Angus Young impression for my crowd. i dont see how its possible to stay still and relaxed during that guitar solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbB2BWCk5Ao&mode=related&search=

a very underexaggurated angus young impression mind you. that nutter cant keep still!

sephirothishere
03-06-2007, 12:37 PM
hyou know a i can play lots of two and tappin things on a real guitar a la buckethead...ron thal aka.bumblefoot and stuff...so stfu. ive spent years of practising on my coordinaion and technique....

but ya....it does kinda look hard....jus practise it til you have practically learned i all.

Slothy
03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
hyou know a i can play lots of two and tappin things on a real guitar a la buckethead...ron thal aka.bumblefoot and stuff...so stfu. ive spent years of practising on my coordinaion and technique....

Ummm, ok. Not sure what that was about.

Anyway, I'm not even going to attempt that on expert since I know I can't do it. I have trouble getting past that secion on hard. Mind you even hard is absolutely brutal in places on that song. Maybe when I'm ready to start playing through everything on expert, but not right now.

ReloadPsi
03-06-2007, 03:07 PM
I've only just finished GH2 on Medium and will try Hard in the near future... when my housemate decides not to listen to his music too close to my bedroom.

I have but one complaint about this game, but it's a massive one: They obviously completely and utterly loathe Avenged Sevenfold enough to butcher the hell out of Beast And The Harlot. Seriously, I played through the whole damn game for it and was colossally disappointed by how horrible they made it sound. Oh well, playing the bass part was fun.

Hangar 18 and Them Bones were wonderful surprises as I know them for their rough approximation in DOOM II. It was almost like I was really running away from a bunch of exploding barrels.

Jowy
03-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Beast and the Harlot was one of my favorite songs to play, honestly.

Heart-Shaped Box on the other hand...

Slothy
03-06-2007, 03:29 PM
They butchered more than Avenged Sevenfold (the Rage song is pretty bad in the vocals especially, and I'm not that impressed with their rendition of YYZ). Kind of used to them butchering some songs though after some of the hack jobs in the first game. Luckily most of the fun is in playing anyway, regardless of the cover quality.

On another note, I'm fairly certain that parts of the hard difficulty are just random notes to be honest. The jump from medium to Hard is rediculous. On the plus side, being able to play anything on hard in this game will make you 10x better at the first game.

Endless
03-06-2007, 04:26 PM
So far, in career mode, I only beat one song in hard mode, and in medium, all but 4 or 5 songs are 5 starred, the others being 4 star. There are even a couple of them where I missed perfect by a note :/
But in hard mode... I just can't pass. I obviously need more practice.

Roto13
03-06-2007, 04:27 PM
If you can get five stars in most songs on Medium mode, the idea that it's not within your current ability to complete more than one song on Hard mode is all in your head. *thrust*

sephirothishere
03-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally Bespoken by sephirothishere

Originally bespoken by vivi thing.

Ummm, ok. Not sure what that was about.

exactly....

BlueChaos
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Just thought I would say, im playing guitar hero right now with my friends. I got the high score, and my friend is pissed off at me.

boys from the dwarf
03-07-2007, 07:03 PM
by the time your at the end of easy you'll be bored of it. or at least i was. i seemed to be a natural compared to the other people i've shown GH to. my first song i played was godzilla and i got 88 percent. this was before i bought the game but i got it 2 days later because i was addicted. i'd call guitar hero a contagious game. once you play it, it infects you like a disease and hides in your mind until you cant bear the fact that you dont own the awesome game.

anyway. as i was saying.

by the end of easy you'll be bored.

on medium you can play through and it prepares you slightly for hard. once you can play one song on hard, you can pick up on others. play around for a couple of weeks and experiment and you'll eventually be ready for expert and you can just slowly progress. i believe that just about anyone is capable of playing respectably well on expert.

BlueChaos
03-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I've been playing the game for about a year, and I can play expert. I still love the game as much as I always have.

Roto13
03-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Easy mode gets boring, yeah. Hard mode, however, gets addicting. I'm still playing it. I get the shakes if I don't play it for a while.

oddler
03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
As for the other difficulties... I have no idea. I play expert mode only because my brother owns the game and he insisted the first time I played. It's really not that bad. :p

Jordan, yes. I've never spent time practicing any of the songs but I just can't get the solo patterns in that one. I'd love to slow it down and see what's really happening! I usually play Pro-Face Off with my brother and I think the best I've done was about 75-80%.

Institutionalized was an MFC until I figured it out. The part after the series of down-stroking chords seemed like a total random pile of people until I listened to it. Haha.

YYZ co-op owns.

BlueChaos
03-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I was going to get Guitar Hero 2. But than I decided to get some Final Fantesy games. They are so much better, and last so much longer than those types of games.

Roto13
03-08-2007, 12:27 AM
SKWEEE!

I just finished Hard mode! ^_^

Tasura
03-08-2007, 01:24 AM
I've got 15/40 done on hard mode.

Slothy
03-08-2007, 01:47 AM
I was going to get Guitar Hero 2. But than I decided to get some Final Fantesy games. They are so much better, and last so much longer than those types of games.

You've never played Guitar Hero with friends have you? The replay value is infinite then. And once you're old enough to add alcohol to the mix, well...

In fact, I'm going to drink beer and play GH2 with friends in about fifteen minutes. Should be fun times.

boys from the dwarf
03-08-2007, 07:39 AM
its unfair to compare FF and guitar hero because of how different they are but Vivi22 is right.

guitar hero is brilliant with friends. i cant think of a better game for that sort of fun.

sephirothishere
03-08-2007, 02:00 PM
actual guitar duels ftw...here is one i transcribed....

player 1 : chug eetwowowowoowojuggajuggawaaaahhhawahhhhh

player 2 : wowow *pinch harmonic* eetwahwahwahwowowahwowowoooo*WHAMMY BARRRRRRARARARARRR*
eet wee jugjugjug...jujgettyjugjujgujgujujgujujgujgujgujugjeettttt....

*player 1s head explodes....*

player 2 wins....

then that time back in the days of old when i entered a guitar duel with buckethead and zakkwylde and becker and friedman....all at the same time...we caused the ice age and the dinosaurs got wiped out and then jason becker and friedman tried to kill us all with cacophony but then friedman dubble crossed becker and then they were all like "OMG FAG!!!"

then becker challenged friedman to a duel and then he had to say ya otherwise he would have been labelled a woman for the rest of his life.....so anyways......it was epic....buckethead...bumblefoot and i watched on from a distance...out of range of burning debris....and then friedman actually byt soem cruel twist of fate beat becker in the duel....then becker feined having ALS so as he didnt have to play anymore :D END!!!.

sephirothishere
03-08-2007, 10:13 PM
true story...

boys from the dwarf
03-09-2007, 07:38 AM
new recored on "guitar break-guitar solo F". 62%.

ThundagAuron
03-13-2007, 05:41 PM
My friend is a monster at this game. 98% on Jordan on expert and he's 100%'d multiple "Face Melters" or whatever the hardest ones are called. He can't play real guitar to save his life though; I destroy him.

I figured if I bought this game, I'd spend less time playing real guitar and that just wouldn't do if I am to keep my 3 hour practice regimen going! :D

El Bandito
03-13-2007, 07:04 PM
If only I had a PS2 that could read burned disks, then I could break my wrists playing Fury of the Storm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29IFMJNt7s).

Captain Maxx Power
03-13-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm on the second to last set list of Expert, but I haven't played in ruddy ages. I really want to now though. :cool:

Tasura
03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I completed it on hard and the first 4 songs on expert the other day, god that killed my hands on the normal PS2 controller.

Slothy
03-13-2007, 09:04 PM
I completed it on hard and the first 4 songs on expert the other day, god that killed my hands on the normal PS2 controller.

Although I have to admit the game is far more fun on the guitar controller, that's still the most impressive thing I've ever heard. I never had a god until this moment.

Roto13
03-13-2007, 10:53 PM
I was just playing Them Bones on Extreme mode and I was doing pretty well. Then it went retarded and I failed the song. I was at 98%. :P

Tasura
03-14-2007, 03:13 AM
Reading this thread made me want to try expert again, but the same song still kicked my ass, so i went back to hard and started replaying some songs to get higher stars/more money, and I managed to get 11/40 songs 5* about 15/40 4* and the rest I havent replayed yet.

nozkits
03-14-2007, 03:59 AM
When I first played the game I got a 98% on a hard song... I play guitar in real life so it was pretty easy to play once someone showed me the control scheme..

ThundagAuron
03-15-2007, 03:01 AM
When I first played the game I got a 98% on a hard song... I play guitar in real life so it was pretty easy to play once someone showed me the control scheme..

Really? I can't for the life of me play this game. I play real guitar for 3 hours a day though, as I said in my other post and I think, while this game is pretty cool, I see it as a waste of my time. For others, who don't have the time/$ to sink into actually picking up an electric and an amp, this is one of the greatest examples of a true "escapism" game to have ever been released. Red Octane are geniuses, too bad MTV owns the company and the rights, now. :cry:

Roto13
03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
It's not always about the time or money so much as it's about the... complete lack of desire to bother.

ThundagAuron
03-15-2007, 05:05 PM
lol. I'm pretty sure being good at real guitar is more impressive than memorizing a button combo that lasts for 3-5 minutes. But to each his own. :p

Roto13
03-15-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't play video games to impress people.

ThundagAuron
03-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Oh man, I just realized how bad my post sounded. My apologies, I feel like a jerk, now. :cry:

Roto13
03-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Oh man, I just realized how bad my post sounded. My apologies, I feel like a jerk, now. :cry:

Nyah! *flick*

ThundagAuron
03-20-2007, 01:23 AM
Wow. This thread has perfect timing, actually. My friend (the monster, as I called him), is in charge of entertainment at my school's Relay For Life this year, and he's running an all-night Guitar Hero Competition for anybody who feels up to it. lol, I'm gonna enter and get owned, it shall prove rather entertaining. :D

oddler
03-20-2007, 01:36 AM
That sounds awesome. I remember going to a church lock-in. It was only cool because my future fiancee was there and I ended up staying up all night playing video games. :elation:

Eventually with all these games, we'll have enough musical emulation to make a four-player one so that you can make a whole band. :p

Slothy
03-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Eventually with all these games, we'll have enough musical emulation to make a four-player one so that you can make a whole band. :p

They've already got singing, guitar, and by extension, bass. I doubt they'll ever make an appropriately entertaining, yet somewhat realistic and durable drum controller though.

boys from the dwarf
03-21-2007, 09:08 AM
theres going to be some sort of drumming game for the WII i believe.

and on that section of jordan i hit 67% of the notes as a new record for me. woo.

Slothy
03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
I saw a video of some drumming demonstration for the Wii I believe. Frankly, I wouldn't waste my time with it if only because it left out the entire lower half of the body which is kind of necessary to complete the drumming experience. I would except a drumming game to be simplified, but leaving out the bass drum completely makes no sense. That and judging from the fact that it just based what was hit on where the Wii controller was moving I think there's the potential for a lot of missed notes without some physical drum pads in front of you. Who knows, maybe someone will pull something good off.