PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
What do you think of the Indiana Jones trilogy? I think they're all great flims...but I think my favorite is probaby The Temple of Doom. Sure the film was dark but it had a lot of humor so it wasn't completely dark.

And I absolutely love that scene where Willie was freaking out at the dinner table over the bizarre foods. By the way if you had to rank the Indy films how would you do it? Here's how I rank the Indy films:

1. The Temple of Doom

2. The Last Crusade

3. The Raiders of the Lost Ark

Dreddz
03-05-2007, 08:16 PM
The Last Crusade was the best one. The Temple of Doom was annoying with that kid from the Goonies in it.

I Took the Red Pill
03-05-2007, 08:16 PM
The Raiders of the Lost Ark was the best, Temple of Doom a distant second, and Last Crusade ranks last for me. Last Crusade was too absurd imho.

Bunny
03-05-2007, 08:24 PM
The Last Crusade was the best one. The Temple of Doom was annoying with that kid from the Goonies in it.

Jonathan Ke Quan is not an annoying kid! He is an amazing actor and an alrighty groovy dude. How dare you.

I'm a fan of Indiana Jones. Not a huge fan, but I like the trilogy well enough. My "best" friend has an outfit he wears quite frequently that he refers to has his "Indiana Jones outfit", but he lacks the whip. He does it for shock and awe, not fandom or anything. It's amusing to see people's reactions to it.

Anyway, uh, rankings.

Temple of Doom, Lost Ark, Last Crusade. I suppose. I haven't watched them in awhile.

XxSephirothxX
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best adventure movie ever made. It is perfect. The Last Crusade would come in second. It's a good movie, but not as good as the original. Temple of Doom is pretty good, but not as much as the other too. Really, I think the only thing that puts Last Crusade above Temple of Doom for me is Sean Connery being awesome. Plus the whole heart-grabbing thing in Temple of Doom was just weird. :p

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Really? Because that's exactly how I feel about Batman Begins. It was annoying because Nolan had to cast Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes.

Anyway another scene from The Temple of Doom that I like is when Willie got knocked off her elephant.

charliepanayi
03-05-2007, 08:43 PM
One of the best movie trilogies...well, ever really. Perfect entertainment, and all three films are great, though I'd put Raiders top probably. Got to love the banter as well between Indiana and his father in Last Crusade ("I'm as human as the next man!" "I was the next man!"). Also there's some fine support in the movies from the likes of John Rhys-Davies and Denholm Elliot.

The 4th one supposedly coming out in 2008 is kind of worrying though - isn't Harrison Ford getting somewhat old for this...

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Well I suppose if Bruce Willis can still play John McClane...Harrison Ford can still play Indiana Jones.

Roto13
03-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Last Crusade > Raiders of the Lost Ark > Temple of Doom

Temple of Doom was actually heavily based on an old black and white movie from the 30s, but I don't remember what it was called.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
03-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Do you guys think Tom Selleck would've been a better Indiana Jones than Harrison Ford? Because I saw this screen test of Tom Selleck on my Indiana Jones Bonus Material DVD and I thought he was great!:) But he couldn't play Indiana Jones because he had this show on TBS called Magnum P.I.:mad:

Dreddz
03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Tom Selleck is best left in Friends re-runs. Harrison Ford was the perfect pick for Indiana Jones.

Kirobaito
03-05-2007, 10:10 PM
1. Last Crusade
2. Raiders
3. Temple

Temple suffers from a lack of Nazis. I just enjoy the action in Last Crusade more than Raiders, though they're both excellent. Also, the inclusion of Connery.

I'm a big Indiana Jones fan. Apparently some of the Young Indy shows are being released on DVD sometime next year. I'll be looking forward to getting them.

Kossage
03-05-2007, 10:18 PM
For me the order would be:
1) Raiders of the Lost Ark
2) The Last Crusade
3) The Temple of Doom

*UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD*

First of all, Raiders just has a lot of great moments as well as an interesting story. Who can forget the rolling boulder in the temple at the beginning of the movie, the tomb scene with Indy freaking out when he sees all the snakes, the "fight" against that crazy bad guy (when Indy simply shoots him), the opening of the Ark and the shocking finale among other things? Harrison Ford nails the role, and the rest of the cast works well too. The score by John Williams is fantastic as well, and the main theme is one of the most memorable themes ever written. The film does have its problems, though: one thing that particularly bugged me is that we never got to see a proper final battle. Sorry, folks, but I really wanted to see some kind of a showdown between Indy and Belloq or with that freaky Nazi guy Toht, and yet all the main villains die at the same time when the spirits are released, which would have been fine if there had been some kind of a major duel beforehand, but killing them all off is just a cheap trick which leaves the audience wanting for more. But that and a few things aside, I think Raiders is the highlight of the trilogy.

The Temple of Doom is an enjoyable film but for some reason it just doesn't reach the heights of Raiders and Crusade. There are some great scenes in this film too, though, such as the bizarre dinner scene, the action bit with the plane in the beginning and the chase through the mines in the end. John Williams's score is quite good in this film too, and Ford still keeps Indy as charming as he was in the previous film.

The Last Crusade gets second place because of some nice plot twists (for example, I enjoyed the bit about Elsa turning out to be one of the villains) as well as Sean Connery being Indy's dad (he was awesome). I enjoyed the tests of faith in the climax of the film, and there were some fantastic scenes (one of the most hilarious ones was when Hitler and Indy meet briefly xD). Once again John Williams's score shines through the film (who can forget tracks such as "Scherzo For Motorcyle and Orchestra"?), and there are some spectacular location shots.

I never particularly liked some of the more gruesome scenes in these films (such as the way the spirits kill the bad guys in Raiders and the aging effect the main villain suffers in Crusade to mention a few), but luckily there aren't too many of those scenes that distract from the overall experience (and I understand they have an important part to play in the narrative), and there's this sense of danger and excitement as well as adventure which I do enjoy. All in all the Indiana Jones films have been fine, and I'm interested in seeing the coming fourth film in the saga. :)

Araciel
03-06-2007, 06:13 AM
raiders, crusade, temple...for sure

great movies...possibly the best adventure movies ever.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-07-2007, 03:59 AM
(Best - Worst)

1. Temple of Doom
2. Last Crusade
3. Lost Ark

They're all examples of well-done action movies, and they're certainly trend-setting and basically re-invented the genre at the time, but they tend to get more hype than they deserve, like Star Wars.

One interesting thing was that Temple of Doom was the first movie to really cause the movie industry to re-think its rating system, and eventually would bring about the introduction of the PG-13 rating. For its time the film was very violent, dark and had a seemingly never-ending supply of action once Indy entered the caves of the palace.