PDA

View Full Version : What are You Reading?

Cruise Control
03-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Just like What are You Listening to. Cept its about books. Feel free to post again when you start a new book.

Post what you're reading, who wrote it. If you like a mini synopsis adn what you think.

I'm re-reading The Stand (uncut edition) by Steven King. A top secret military plague wipes out most of humanity. The survivors rally around one of two leaders. One, an evil being, a friend of the devil, wanting to eliminate the other. A kind old black woman, a person of peace.

I think its fantastic. Even better the second time. The uncut version adds sooo much depth to the characters.

jaggernaut101
03-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Right now I'm reading two fictional
The first one is called "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton
It's about how the government uses fear to control their country

Then the other one I'm reading is "Prey" also by Michael Crichton
and thats about a government experiment gone horribly wrong
releasing a cloud of Nanoparticles (micro-robots) out onto the world.

CloudDragon
03-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix. I'm a long time Adult Fantasy fan and my roommate finally got me to read the HP's because I've never read them before.

After that I'll be on to A Feast For Crows by GRRM

GooeyToast
03-06-2007, 01:14 AM
Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis. Pretty much what Zoolander ripped-off and turned into a comedy.

NINJA_Ryu
03-06-2007, 01:35 AM
LOTR All 3 books, by good ol Tolkien.

and also, 'Prey", awesome book!

Bunny
03-06-2007, 01:46 AM
The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings and Shadowdale by Scott Ciencin.

XxSephirothxX
03-06-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm actually reading The Stand right now, too. Though I'm taking a bit of a break (to let someone catch up :cool:) and just started Star Wars: Legacy of the Force: Exile by Aaron Allston. It's my light nerd reading for February. :p

Dynast-Kid
03-06-2007, 02:06 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird. It's the best book i've ever read.

Dr Aum
03-06-2007, 02:12 AM
Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman and Godel, Escher, Bach by Hofstadter.

Mythra
03-06-2007, 02:15 AM
Well I was reading the Dark Tower series but I've read all the ones I have, so I'm just waiting to buy the fourth one (Wizard and Glass) and then I'm back on those. Really great series, easily one of the best I've read in a while.

I Took the Red Pill
03-06-2007, 03:00 AM
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I've had it for a long time and I'm just now really getting into it.

Fatal Impurity
03-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Foundation by good ol' Isaac Asimov

Moon Rabbits
03-06-2007, 03:05 AM
I'm re-reading The Stand (uncut edition) by Steven King. A top secret military plague wipes out most of humanity. The survivors rally around one of two leaders. One, an evil being, a friend of the devil, wanting to eliminate the other. A kind old black woman, a person of peace.

I think its fantastic. Even better the second time. The uncut version adds sooo much depth to the characters.

Stephen King is one of my favourite authors, but I never could handle the Stand because it dragged on for far too long. He's good, but not good enough to pull off a 1200 page tome.

Currently, I'm into The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle. It's about a woman who's husband became abusive, her husband's death, her children, and her struggle with alcoholism and depression. It's very well written and rather sad.

Del Murder
03-06-2007, 03:22 AM
Bram Stoker's <i>Dracula</i>. Muahahahahaha!

XxSephirothxX
03-06-2007, 03:33 AM

Stephen King is one of my favourite authors, but I never could handle the Stand because it dragged on for far too long. He's good, but not good enough to pull off a 1200 page tome.
I dunno. It is about 1100 pages, and it's definitely one of the best books I've ever read. It's not quite as long as The Stand, but it really moved at a better pace (though I'm only about 400 pages into The Stand, so obviously I don't know how much it will change by the end) and was far more captivating.

Shine On...
03-06-2007, 03:35 AM
To Kill a Mockingbird. It's the best book i've ever read.

Yeah that book is a fantastic classic.

Right now I'm reading 'A Wild Sheep Chase' by Haruki Murakami. What a brilliant author he is. His books are excellent. :)

Kirobaito
03-06-2007, 03:35 AM
I just finished reading <i>Nicomachean Ethics</i> by Aristotle.

Fatal Impurity
03-06-2007, 03:50 AM
Interesting stuff...i plan on reading the Iliad soon...just so you know.

Savern Volaco
03-06-2007, 03:54 AM
Debt of Bones - Terry Goodkind -author of the sword of truth series

Mogi
03-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Samurai Deeper Kyo Chapter 4
lol

Zeromus_X
03-06-2007, 04:25 AM
The Dark Tower V: The Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. It's the fifth book of his Dark Tower series, which I've never taken time to finish until now. Father Callahan ftw. I am happy to know what happens to him after the events of 'Salem's Lot.

I need to reread It someday too.

kikimm
03-06-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm actually reading The Stand right now, too. Though I'm taking a bit of a break (to let someone catch up :cool:)

:shifty:

So yes. The Stand. I'm also reading The Remains of the Day, partly because I've wanted to for awhile, but it's also for an English assignment. So I have to annotate it and blegh. I wish I could just relax and enjoy it.

Also for English, I am reading...Shakespeare Alive, I think it's called. Yuck.

Too much.

GooeyToast
03-06-2007, 05:57 AM
What the hell is it with The Stand? Even I just bought that book.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-06-2007, 06:01 AM
-"The Dragon Reborn" by Robert Jordan (again)

and

-"The Last Samurai" by Helen DeWitt (has nothing to do with the movie)

Araciel
03-06-2007, 06:10 AM
couple of books at the moment...

i try to read one vonnegut book all the time, i'm on breakfast of champions right now

i was trying to read life of pi, since everyone says it's great...but i couldn't get into it...bleh

reading phantom by terry goodkind...i have to stop reading his books.

fire_of_avalon
03-06-2007, 06:12 AM
The Dark Tower V: The Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King. It's the fifth book of his Dark Tower series, which I've never taken time to finish until now. Father Callahan ftw. I am happy to know what happens to him after the events of 'Salem's Lot.

It made me happy, as well. Wolves might be my favorite Dark Tower book. I like the respite the gunslingers get in the Calla.

I'm actually reading The Stand right now, too. Though I'm taking a bit of a break (to let someone catch up :cool:)

:shifty:

So yes. The Stand. I'm also reading The Remains of the Day, partly because I've wanted to for awhile, but it's also for an English assignment. So I have to annotate it and blegh. I wish I could just relax and enjoy it.

Also for English, I am reading...Shakespeare Alive, I think it's called. Yuck.

Too much.

The Remains of the Day is one of the most heartbreaking things I've read in my entire life. It's still great, though. I hope you enjoy it.

I just finished The Goddess and the Bull Catalhoyuk: An Archaeological Journey to the Dawn of Civilization for my anthropology class. I hope to read The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin over my spring break, and if I get the chance, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. If I have even more time on my hands, I might finally get around to reading The Dubliners by James Joyce. Later in the semester, I hope to read As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, and polish off the collected fairy and folk tales of W.B. Yeats.

I really need some new books to read, especially for summer. I'm trying to get through the classics, so if anyone has any suggestions in that vein, I'm all ears. :)

Araciel
03-06-2007, 06:52 AM
oman i forgot...just read american gods by neil gaiman

it was cool.

vorpal blade
03-06-2007, 09:48 AM

Ditto. It's just awesome, really. I've been trying to imagine Castlevania music whilst I read it.

Little Blue
03-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space. A very cool sci fi that actually uses decent science and portrays an interesting (and I think believable) view on human civilisation five hundred years hence. :love:

Cruise Control
03-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Right now I'm reading two fictional
The first one is called "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton
It's about how the government uses fear to control their country

releasing a cloud of Nanoparticles (micro-robots) out onto the world.Michael Crichton is a good way to become well read. The books deal with loads of technology, and cautionary themes. And at the end he recommends non-fiction for those interested in the topic. I have all his books.

Germ Hamee
03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
releasing a cloud of Nanoparticles (micro-robots) out onto the world.

That was such a good book, and so well paced. I couldn't put it down, and read it in a period of two days. That's amazing for me.

I'm currently reading American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. I've been reading it off and on for a few years, but am only now giving it my full attention. It's about the old, forgotten gods that are never worshipped (along the lines of Thor, Loki, Shiva) at war with the new gods (Internet, Media, etc...). It's very good, and strikes a nice balance between shocking, dark, and hilarity.

Resha
03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
For school right now, I'm doing "Anthills of the Savannah" by Chinua Achebe. It's fantastic, although 'twas also a bit hard to get into at first. I'm doing two side re-reads; "The Great Gatsby" and "The Catcher in the Rye", two of my favouritest classics in the universe (they're re-reads, I probably won't read the whole thing through) and I began "Crime and Punishment" by Dos-long-name-toyevsky, but eh. It's kinda top-heavy! :-( I may abandon it.

Devourment
03-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Lord of the Rings.. Because before with my busy time schedule I've never had enough time to properly fit in reading, because I like to at least read a few chapters at a time. Helps you to get into the book more that way.

Have about 70 pages of the Fellowship left to do.

I don't mind it really. It is, in my opinion, interesting to read in some parts, but long winded in others. The long winded parts are when I can't bear to read anymore & put the book down for awhile.

Breine
03-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm currently reading three books. I have this annoying habit of always beginning on a new book before finishing one of the ones I started to read previously. The three are:

- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
- Macbeth
- Harry Potter 6.

Jings
03-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I've recently decided to start reading some classics and have just finished 'Three Men in a Boat' by Jerome K Jerome. Quite possibly one of the funniest books I've ever had the good pleasure to read.

I'm currently reading 'Lolita' by Vladimir Nabokov. It's also funny, just not haha funny...

Flying Mullet
03-06-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm making my way through Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. I'm in the middle of <i>Crossroads of Twilight</i> now.

Slothy
03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm currently reading American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. I've been reading it off and on for a few years, but am only now giving it my full attention. It's about the old, forgotten gods that are never worshipped (along the lines of Thor, Loki, Shiva) at war with the new gods (Internet, Media, etc...). It's very good, and strikes a nice balance between shocking, dark, and hilarity.

Neil Gaiman is a genious. You just reminded me that I really need to buy the whole Sandman series, and if I weren't a complete idiot at times, I'd probably be reading Eternals every week.

I'm currently reading a few things:
Chapterhouse: Dune by Frank Herbert
Hero by Yo:skull::skull::skull::skull:aka Amano
DC: The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke (who says it has to be novels?)

I'm too lazy to give a summary of any of them, and wouldn't do them justice anyway (frankly I'm not far enough into anything except New Frontier to say anything about them), so I'll let the internet do the talking do the talking.

Chapterhouse - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapterhouse:_Dune
Hero - http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&products_id=33942
New Frontier - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC:_The_New_Frontier

escobert
03-06-2007, 03:17 PM
I've been reading The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. almost done with the Narnia books.

SnoopyG
03-07-2007, 01:17 AM
The Outsiders

still gotta see the movie though

Ko Ko
03-07-2007, 01:18 AM
The Handmaid's Tale
It puts me to sleep. :/

Dr Aum
03-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Interesting stuff...i plan on reading the Iliad soon...just so you know.

This reminds me: I'm also reading the Aeneid in the original Latin.

And Iri, you make me very sad. :( That's a wonderful novel.

Leeza
03-07-2007, 01:42 AM
I'm just finishing <i>Broken Prey</i> by John Sandford and then I'll be reading <i>Thief of Time</i> by Terry Pratchett. :cat:

Ashley Schovitz
03-07-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Araciel
03-07-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm just finishing Broken Prey by John Sandford and then I'll be reading Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. :cat:

YAY TP

love discworld

Del Murder
03-07-2007, 02:55 AM

Ditto. It's just awesome, really. I've been trying to imagine Castlevania music whilst I read it.
Dude me too!

Momiji
03-07-2007, 03:26 AM
We have to read 'The Red Badge of Courage' by Stephen Crane at school right now. I hate it. I want to go back to reading Mark Twain and Nathaniel Hawthorne novels.

tidus_rox
03-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Life Of Pi, any one???? Well... thats what I am reading ^_^__V

Resha
03-11-2007, 01:22 AM
"East, West, North, South" -- Geir Lundestad. :p A history of international relations since '45.

Melodies_of_life
03-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Reading?... What's that?.... I'm just kidding... Anyways I'm not really reading anything at the moment. I am waiting for the third book of pellinor to come out. I have already read the first two they are "The Naming" and "The Riddle" by Alison Croggon.

Madame Adequate
03-11-2007, 03:02 AM
I'm about to start reading Foundation's Edge by Asimov. I also go through Watchmen on a regular basis (Alan Moore).

Further, I read the weekly editions of The Economist, which is of course not a book, but so common a piece of reading material for me that it must be mentioned.

I have a fairly large stack of books I have to read. I really ought to get on and read more than I do :(

Cecilia
03-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Rainbow Six, by Tom Clancy

Ishin Ookami
03-12-2007, 01:33 AM
I finished reading the Dark Tower series back in November. I know people who were actually very upset about the ending, but I found that it truly was the most fitting and character focused ending the series could have given us. I'd be interested on hearing any other thoughts from those that have also finished that particularly storyline.

as for other books, recently read Exile by Aaron Alliston. The Legacy of the Force series still seems pretty interesting, but it really is moving a bit slow. There has been no real major developments since bloodlines.

I'm still collecting the Trigun Maximum and Yuyu Hakusho Mangas. Both of them are far superior to their anime counterparts.

I'm also collecting the Penny Arcade graphic novels. Man those guys are funny.

Other than that, Mostly martial arts and fitness magazines. I'm a regular reader of mens health, and every now and then, if I think EGM or OPM has anything noteworthy to read, I'll pick up an issue.

Slothy
03-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Other than that, Mostly martial arts and fitness magazines. I'm a regular reader of mens health, and every now and then, if I think EGM or OPM has anything noteworthy to read, I'll pick up an issue.

A little off topic, but OPM is no longer being made actually. A shame if you ask me since it was the only video game magazine that I really liked and respected anymore.

Back on topic: glad to see another (apparent) Tom Clancy fan Cecilia. I still haven't gotten around to finishing all of his books (I've read about half of them), but Rainbow Six was my favourite hands down.

Garnie
03-12-2007, 01:51 AM
im actully started harry potter and the philosiphers stone again for the 4th time.
basiclly a boy finds out hes a wizard and stuff! you all know the rest
rowling is awsome though. i cant wait for the deathly hallows

Rocket Edge
03-12-2007, 02:54 AM
Legacy: Tupac Shakur

That makes it over a decade of books i've read from the man.

blim
03-12-2007, 03:49 AM
this thread

sorry, had to do that. Anyway, On Liberty by John Stuart Mill (again)

cloud_doll
03-16-2007, 02:56 AM
"A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray
and
"Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Foer

Mitch
03-16-2007, 03:24 AM
I'm re-reading the Dark Tower series at the moment.

And yeah, Wolves of the Calla is my favorite of the lot.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
03-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Yesterday I finished 'Farewell to Arms' by Ernest Hemingway. I absolutely hated the way it ended.
Today I finished 'Moonshine' by Rob Thurman. A sequel to his book Nightlife. Amazing book.
About five minutes ago, I started 'Lullaby' by Chuck Palahniuk. He is the guy who wrote 'Fight Club'. It promises to be good.

I love books. :love:

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-16-2007, 05:35 AM
I am currently rereading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling.

SnoopyG
03-16-2007, 06:10 AM
reading "give a boy a gun"
good book

kikimm
03-17-2007, 01:12 AM
"A Great and Terrible Beauty" by Libba Bray

I thought that was absolutely horrible, and only read it because I wanted to have something to do while I was waiting to buy The Shining. :laugh: What are you thinking of it? I WONDER IF YOU WILL BUY THE SEQUEL.

I also finished Remains of the Day a few minutes ago. =( Totally cried. Kazuo Ishiguro is good at making me do that.

LunarWeaver
03-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Running with Scissors.

DarkZalera
03-17-2007, 02:34 AM
I'm not reading anything, it bores me.

Zeldy
03-17-2007, 11:23 AM
http://www.amheath.com/images/titles/229_1.jpg

Cruise Control
03-18-2007, 02:26 AM
Masterpieces of Fantasy and Enchantment
Compiled by David G. Hartwell

Yliette
03-18-2007, 04:56 AM
I've just read all of Paulo Coelho's available novels (except The Fifth Mountain).

Now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for the third time. I'll read Half-Blood Prince next for the second time.

Can't wait for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! It's bound July 21st.

Cruise Control
03-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Can't wait for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! It's bound July 21st.
I can't wait either, then I can stop hearing people talk about it.

Holy Lancer
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
"Finding Darwin's God" by Kenneth R. Miller.

Odaisé Gaelach
03-21-2007, 11:22 PM
I've just finished "A Feast for Crows" by George R.R. Martin.

Currently I'm reading "The Godfather" by Mario Puzo

And after that I've got "Winterwood" by Patrick McCabe to read. :cool:

The Real Dark Messenger
03-21-2007, 11:42 PM
"Dragons of Autumn Twillight", "Dragons of Winter Night" and "Dragons of Spring Dawning" by Tracy Hickman and Margaret T. Weiss. I love those books.

SammieBabe
03-22-2007, 12:01 AM
The Bible According to Mark Twain. :)

Germ Hamee
03-22-2007, 08:58 AM
I just finished American Gods -- which had an amazing ending. For some reason I wasn't expecting anything more than a mediocre ending at all.

Now I'm reading Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. It's weird, disturbing, and extremely gross. I don't know if I'll be able to read the whole thing. -.-

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-22-2007, 05:05 PM
I am reading for the second time, Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I personally love reading Bradley's work, it is always fascinating. She tends to do much research when writing her books, thus making it more realistic in spite of them being of the fantasy genre. Firebrand itself starts slightly before the fall of Troy and the Trojan War. It is told from the perspective of Kassandra (Cassandra). It includes, much like Bradley's Avalon series, aspects of Goddess worship and its encounters with patriarchal religions (this case being the Olympic deities).

Peegee
03-23-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm on a max brooks zombie buffet. I first bought 'The Zombie Survival Guide' after finding it on a rogue trip to Chapters/Indigo (not sure if it's a usa franchaise). I then found out that Max Brooks had very recently (as in the last 1/2 year) published yet another Zombie book illustrating a class 4 Zombie invasion (worldwide instead of nation-wide).

So I bought THAT book too (World War Z) and now every so often I re-read portions of WWZ. It's pretty cool.

Made me wonder though -- why do all Zombie movies have to be social commentaries, not mindless violence?

Even Resident Evil has a tiny bit of social commentary on biological engineering. Maybe I should watch House of the Dead..../groan

fire_of_avalon
03-23-2007, 01:08 PM
We have to read 'The Red Badge of Courage' by Stephen Crane at school right now. I hate it. I want to go back to reading Mark Twain and Nathaniel Hawthorne novels.
I love Mark Twain, but I could not stand Hawthorne. I'm curious as to why people like him. Not saying you're "bad" for liking him, I just don't understand.

But stick with The Red Badge of Courage. It really is one of the most beautifully written novels I've ever read.

"East, West, North, South" -- Geir Lundestad. :p A history of international relations since '45.
Oddly enough, that sounds really interesting. But I'm a nerd.

I finished reading the Dark Tower series back in November. I know people who were actually very upset about the ending, but I found that it truly was the most fitting and character focused ending the series could have given us. I'd be interested on hearing any other thoughts from those that have also finished that particularly storyline.

I actually felt the same way about it, even though it turned out to be very painful for me. I am glad King leaves the option for Roland's salvation, though. If the book ended with Roland doomed like that, I think I might have died a little. Also, I really did love the fact that King tells you the ending isn't what you want, and the only reason you're going on is that you're too curious for your own good. xD

"Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Foer

I really want to read that. Let us know if it's good?

About five minutes ago, I started 'Lullaby' by Chuck Palahniuk. He is the guy who wrote 'Fight Club'. It promises to be good.

I love books. :love:
I didn't really like Lullaby. I thought the ending was kind of weak, but I'd be interested in what you have to say about it.

I forgot to bring The Dispossessed home with me over the break, so I ended up picking up Lolita. I haven't quite finished it yet, but so far it's kind of enjoyable. So far, all of the characters have been really irritating.

Moon Rabbits
03-23-2007, 02:06 PM
Running with Scissors.

I watched the movie remake last night and it was great.

I'm reading a Prayer for Owen Meaney by John Irving.

SapphireBlue*
03-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Woah...I've got a long list here...Well...I gotta finish New Moon:love: But first I gotta finish reading Don Quijote for Spanish class -_- Then Blue Bloods, Pride and Prejudice, and finally, Revenge of the Wannabes <---It's pretty much a bimbo book, but since I started it I wanna finish it!

OH! And I can't wait 'till Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows comes out!

Timster
03-24-2007, 09:43 PM
"the stranger" by albert camus...

Nominus Experse
03-24-2007, 10:24 PM
The Swimming Pool Library

scrumpleberry
03-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Tuesdays with morrie

Tis rather good. :)

Yliette
03-25-2007, 04:45 AM
Dante Alighieri's Inferno still has been eating dust in my shelf. I haven't even bought Purgatorio and Paradiso yet to complete the Divine Comedy. But I'll read it once I get diligent.

Maybe I'll also read Uncle Tom's Cabin. I figured I should immerse myself in classic literature.

eestlinc
03-25-2007, 10:15 AM
constitutional law: structure and reconstruction. it's a real page turner.

Resha
03-25-2007, 10:52 AM
But first I gotta finish reading Don Quijote for Spanish class -_-
Don Quixote is AMAZING =D Although I don't know if you have to read it in Spanish and that's what makes it all so -_- -- but it's so droll and funny <3 Love love love.

Oddly enough, that sounds really interesting. But I'm a nerd.
Oh, it IS really interesting. It's amazing; one of the best all-rounder history books ever written; it has stuff on EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of the Cold War. That's woah wow, because considering the time period it spans and all the different facets it has to cover... The Cold War is cool, foooa! We're hip!

No.78
03-25-2007, 12:01 PM
"Clash of the sky galleons" I started reading it like last year and I still cba to continue. I suck at reading.

SapphireBlue*
03-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Don Quixote is AMAZING =D Although I don't know if you have to read it in Spanish and that's what makes it all so -_- -- but it's so droll and funny <3 Love love love.

hehe It's the spanish class part that makes me so -_- =P And the fact that I gotta read the first half of it after spring break... =[ But! It's not that bad! It's actually kinda funny...I thought it was gonna be horrible! :p

Cecilia
07-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Just started on a book by Jeff Lindsay, called Darkly Dreaming Dexter..

Ouch!
07-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Moonraker- Ian Fleming

Next up, Diamonds Are Forever.

Like many others, occupying myself 'til Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. After that, it's back to waiting impatiently for the fifth installment of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

I Took the Red Pill
07-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

Resha
07-10-2007, 08:45 AM
:-) This thread should never die!

"David Copperfield", Charles Dickens. He makes me laugh.

Germ Hamee
07-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm glad to see this thread back. I'm much more interested in what people are reading than what kind of lame music they're listening to. :D

I'm reading the second book in Robin Hobb's Soldier's Son trilogy, Forest Mage. I've had it around for awhile, and then my preorder for the final book caught me off guard by showing up at my door yesterday, so I'm kind of rushing through it to get to the finale. It's not as good as her previous works, but the combination of her graceful writing and AMAZING characters keeps it high above most of what's saturating the fantasy market.

Deborah
07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm reading Rant by Chuck Palanik I like it so far.. I've read most of his books and liked them a lot so I hope this one is just as good in the end. :D

Araciel
07-10-2007, 02:16 PM
'the truth' by terry pratchett

Namelessfengir
07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
1635 the cannon law by eric flint & andrew dennis

Bunny
07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
The Initiate by Louise Cooper.

Mythra
07-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Right now its the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. So far I'm on number five, Wolves of the Calla.

Heath
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Debating between a 1941 Soviet book The History of the Soviet Union and the Communist Party which should be a lovely, propaganda filled read that I got for my birthday in February and Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. Not quite sure, I might even return to Earthsea and start The Tombs of Atuan (Ursula Le Guin) having finished The Wizard of Earthsea a good few months ago now.

Anyone want to help me decide? I wish these weren't simply 3 books of a list of about 8 that I've got to read!

demondude
07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
The lord of the flies

Polaris
07-10-2007, 09:00 PM
'Tales and Diary' - Florbela Espanca

louby_4eva
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm reading an amazing book by Ian Irvine called Tower on the Rift....I think. It's the second book of a quartet. It's really good, he also has a quartet sequel and another sequel to that, which I've read (before reading the first quartet....silly, I know) I love Ian Irvine's books :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Tallulah
07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Good old Harry Potter, catching up before the last book comes out... :D

daggertrepe
07-10-2007, 11:20 PM
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. AMAZING emotion in that book.

Obsidian
07-11-2007, 11:21 PM
The Mobile Suit Gundam novelization by Yoshiyuki Tomino.

Burtsplurt
07-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. It's a history of the American West from the perspective of native Americans. It's devastating, to tell the truth. Pretty much all of it is making me angry and upset.

tidus_rox
07-18-2007, 02:21 AM
House by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti. Great Christian fiction those two... Man, that book keeps me up at night its so FREAKING scary!

Albel
07-18-2007, 03:28 AM
Good old Harry Potter, catching up before the last book comes out... :D

Me too, but when I'm on the pc I read the Fruits Basket manga.

Jess
07-18-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm reading "Gerrard, My autobiography" by Steven Gerrard. It's really gripping -- but that's because I love football. I'm about 1/3 of the way through at the moment and I'm enjoying it. It's quite a simple read, but interesting. :jess:

Eiko Guy
07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
My sweet Audrina you have to read the book till the end it's such a shock that her dad would do all of that. Really good bool\k.

scrumpleberry
07-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Recently I finished the Memoirs of a Geisha, Gormenghast trilogy (heavy stuff, took me weeks), reread HP and Garth Nix's first trilogy - am anticipating Deathly Hallows.

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Miriel
07-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I just finished reading 1984 a few days ago.

Tonight, I'll be reading Harry Potter. ^_^

PyroManiak
07-20-2007, 09:19 PM
The crystal shard by R.A. Salvatore

The Unknown Guru
07-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Nothing. I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (850 pages in 2.5 days!) to look for book-movie discrepancies.

Winterbourne
07-21-2007, 04:53 AM
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Good book about a struggling architect. xD