PDA

View Full Version : HELP with DirectX problems...

Peter_20
03-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Alright, I'm totally fed up with these unexpected problems that ALWAYS occur every time I'm trying to install/copy/whatever something, so I'd like your advice on this, and don't be afraid of exaggerating your explanations:

MY COMPUTER: Windows 98, *no Internet connection*
MOTHER'S COMPUTER: Dell Dimension 5000

The thing is, I had those SNES games and the Zsnes emulator on ma's computer, and I wanted to move them over to my own computer.
I succeeded at moving my ROM:s and stuff over to my computer, but then the computer wanted me to "install or re-install DirectX 8.0 or higher".
Right, so I put all the DirectX folders and stuff that I could find on ma's computer over to my CD-R, but I still couldn't play the games.

What's this?
Do I have to actually download the program on my own computer?
Why can't I just save an existing download on the CD-R and move it over to my computer?
This makes no sense at all.

Discord
03-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Umm... DX is not exactly a .dll file you can just copy into the game's directory to make it work. I won't go into details, but that little programm is responsible for controling pretty much every process of quite a significant number of multimedia programs, i.e. games.

What you should do, is get an installer for the neweset DX from Microsoft that is available for -your- Windows. I'm not even sure if there is a DX 8 for the 98er. I'll add an edit if I find anything.

EDIT: There you go. There still is a DX 8 for WIN98, but no 9er. Here's the link.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4846c891-d45d-4122-8230-69f3e5ecdede&DisplayLang=en
Just download it, copy it on your computer and install.

PS: I don't know how old/new that machine is, but you're not going to get far with Win 98 nowadays.

Peter_20
03-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks, but could you please tell me exactly how to actually save the link on the CD-R?
I just see lots of links everywhere, and if I click on anything that has to do with downloading, the computer goes on about a Plug-In.

Discord
03-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Sure no problem. Let's go step by step.

1.) Go to the page.
2.) Click the DOWNLOAD button. It'll request a plug-in fro Microsoft which you have to install. This plug-in pretty much just checks if you have a legal version of windows or not. If this is the case, you'll be given the option to download the file called DX81eng.exe.
3.) Save it the regular way on your desktop.
4.) After the file has downloaded, save in on a flashdrive or a CD-RW. If you really don't have any other ways of getting it onto your other PC, you might have to sacrifise a CD-R blank.
5.) Put the disc in you other PC and copy the file to its desktop.
6.) Run the file and follow the instructions.
7.) Reboot the system and enjoy the SNES games.:P