PDA

View Full Version : Even as ads go, this is just low.

starseeker
03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
This long attempt at a serious discusiion (angry rant) was triggered by hearing an advert on the radio which I thought was just so low.

The Background:
The company that provides cable TV (Virgin Media, after buying out Telewest) and the company that provide satellite (Sky) in the UK have had a major fall out. As a result Sky's basic channels are no longer availible on cable.
I am doubly pissed about this because I have cable, and my 2 favourite shows are on a channel that got withdrawn cos of this tiff.

The Ad
Sky are now running a radio ad, which can be summarised as:
'Virgin have stopped providing basic Sky channels to their customers this last week. If you want to have them back, sign up to Sky. We'll be running special repeats this weekend so you can catch up'
This was all delivered in a sweet public service voice. It made me want to go on a mad attacking spree in both companies offices.

Now, I've stopped ranting about corporate unfairness, to introduce the topic of discussion.

Have you ever seen an advert on TV or radio that you thought was just low or made you want to go on a killing spree?

Nominus Experse
03-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I am glad I don't listen commercial radio or television; otherwise, I might have a story to share.

Yukki-Chan
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
HI I'M BARRY SCOTT AND THIS IS CILLIT BANG!

I think this makes pretty much everyone want to go on a killing spree ¬_¬

Quindiana Jones
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
"Some people say the best things in life are free......but I think it's the free things that are best."

Also, Sky are bastards. Quite a good move on their behalf though. Virgin Media was so much better, but after cutting some channels Sky has a chance of competing.

EDIT: Cillit Bang adverts are the best. :love:

Shlup
03-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Those "Head On" commercials make me want to punch a baby. As do those flying mosquito banner ads that are on some sites, such as tvtorrents.com. They drive me insane.

Yamaneko
03-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Head On! Apply directly to the forehead. Head On!

Roto13
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM

I think they actually made a commercial referring to how annoying that commercial is....

Sergeant Hartman
03-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Are you paying too much for your car insurance?

Yamaneko
03-06-2007, 09:43 PM

I think they actually made a commercial referring to how annoying that commercial is....
Yeah, they later made a commercial semi-parodying their older one.

Chloe.
03-06-2007, 09:45 PM
For ladies who insure their cars,
Shelias Wheels are superstars.
Girls are bored beyond endurance, paying too much for car insurance.
For bonzar car insurance deals!
Girls get on to Shelias Wheels!!

Women make the safest drivers,
You could save a bunch of fivers.
For bonzar car insurance deals!
Girls get on to Shelias Wheels!!

:bigsmile:

I actually love that advert, but everyone else seems to hate it. :mog:

Diango12
03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Sooo.. Does this mean there will be no EOFF commercial? :moomba:

Cz
03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Those I'm a Mac/I'm a PC commercials really irritate me. The central message seems to be "Hey, are you young and hip? Buy a Mac because Macs are young and hip!". I mean, surely there are better ways to sell a computer than that?

And yeah, Sky are being jerks. I feel your pain, starseeker.

Griff
03-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Well, your wife left you for your best friend, you're losing your house and your car, your son just got hit by a transport, and you have testicular cancer. But I have good news: I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

Also, one can't forget the murderous rage we all felt from the most annoying commercial of all time: WAZZUP!