PDA

View Full Version : Completed FFVIII

MustangCobraSVT
03-07-2007, 12:55 AM
I completed FFVIII finally and found it to be a really enjoyable game. I don't understand were all the bad feelings for this game come from. The only thing that I didnt really care for was how it was so easy to level in the game. I like the GF abilities alot and found that to be a really interesting part of the game. Story was entertaining but lacked some charecter background but overall very good and should be played by all. I also liked the weapons but wished there were more of them. I was wondering what other people thought about it, likes dislikes etc.

Also at one point in the game Selphie admits to owning a GF in her childhood but never remembers the name? What do you guys think that gf was?

Emery
03-07-2007, 03:05 AM
It is an amazing game! And the people who say it sucks are just haters. :tongue:

I do admit though, it would have made the game better if there was some more character background on the rest of the characters. Also the game would have been better if there were more weapons, and more limits. But yeah I still love that game, my favorite FF. ^_^

And uhh I think that line of Selphie saying that she didn't remember the gf's named was just a filler. But I'd imagine it would have to be a pretty weak gf.

Disco Potato
03-07-2007, 03:36 AM
Though I like a lot of other FFs more than this one for various reasons, I still really like this one too. I actually like how easy it is to gain levels and the fact that enemies level up with you - you can't just powerlevel your way through, but on the other hand you don't have to spend so much time leveling up. The junction system was pretty interesting too, though drawing magic was somewhat tedious. I also liked the refine abilities, Auto-Haste, Heroes and Holy Wars, the Lionheart limit break, and especially Enc-None :D

As for non-gameplay stuff, I really liked Squall and his relationship with Rinoa, and even the supporting characters, despite their lack of background.

*prepares to be flamed* :p

Ko Ko
03-07-2007, 06:15 AM
Where on earth do you buy this game anyway?
I really would like a copy.

Mirage
03-07-2007, 06:21 AM
I completed FFVIII finally and found it to be a really enjoyable game. I don't understand were all the bad feelings for this game come from. The only thing that I didnt really care for was how it was so easy to level in the game. I like the GF abilities alot and found that to be a really interesting part of the game. Story was entertaining but lacked some charecter background but overall very good and should be played by all. I also liked the weapons but wished there were more of them. I was wondering what other people thought about it, likes dislikes etc.

Also at one point in the game Selphie admits to owning a GF in her childhood but never remembers the name? What do you guys think that gf was?
I think that GF was called "Deus Ex Machina".

Even though I like the game, I have to admit that the whole "GF makes us forget stuff" was a pretty big plot device.

MustangCobraSVT
03-07-2007, 03:31 PM
It is really really easy to find old games on Amazon.com some of them new. That is where i got mine. Great website.

SeeDRankLou
03-07-2007, 09:34 PM
There is in game evidence that would suggest, not prove just strongly suggest, that the GF Selphie junctioned as a child was Tonberry. And I'm not talking suggest like R=U, I'm talking more like Laguna = Squall's father.

This is by far my favorite FF. I like this game and everything about it.

Emery
03-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Try best buy, or a used magazines/book store. (everytime I've gone to best buy, I've seen FFVIII, FFVII, FFIX, and FFV anthology... right next to each other :P.)

Oh and what evidence is there that makes it seem like Tonberry was Selphie's first gf? Please share. :P

Comet
03-07-2007, 10:48 PM

eBay is probably the best site to buy these old games. But amazon seems alright.

FF8 is my favorite Final Fantasy. I occasionaly switch between FF7 and FF8 but FF8 is my favorite at the moment.

For some reason I think Selphie's first GF was Tonberry too. In Trabia Garden, that sick man in the bunk bed goes on about casting Tonberry or something and Selphie was in Trabia Garden for a while, so...it may be a hint. But I do doubt my opinions.

chrisfffan
03-07-2007, 10:55 PM
i love this game its great but its like marmite if you like it you love it and if you don’t like it you hate it similar to X really i hate it! ha ha

KasaiDraco
03-07-2007, 11:19 PM
I downloaded this game!

Emery
03-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Me too! :P

Oh shiz, torrent sites FTW! :D

Takara
03-09-2007, 02:19 AM
There is in game evidence that would suggest, not prove just strongly suggest, that the GF Selphie junctioned as a child was Tonberry. And I'm not talking suggest like R=U, I'm talking more like Laguna = Squall's father.

There is?

kurosaki_ichigo
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
This game is absolutely amazing, i know there are other final fantasies but to me this game stands out on its own as the best game and my first ff. I mean the story was amazing for once the character wasnt a whiny little n00b or some quiet macho man made out of 7 friggin pixels( cloud) but actually had a reason and some sort of back story for his attitude. And the junction system was by far the most flexible system, sure it was a little tedious but still it was so customizable and so was the tons of gf abilities and refine and the extremely addictive triple triad. Not to mention the great music and stunning visuals.

Mirage
03-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Elaborate.

Frostwake
03-12-2007, 10:35 PM
For some reason I think Selphie's first GF was Tonberry too. In Trabia Garden, that sick man in the bunk bed goes on about casting Tonberry or something and Selphie was in Trabia Garden for a while, so...it may be a hint. But I do doubt my opinions.

This was made so you actually have a clue that Tonberry is a GF in this game... if you had no info, you would never sit there in centra killing tonberries for no reason... Nowadays everyone already knows about it, but when the game came out they had to find it out somehow

Danielle
03-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I love Final Fantasy VIII. It's my fav FF (longside IX). I love the cgi art, beautiful scenery, music (big Nobuo fan), and the story. I loved how the characters. I loved the magic designs and GFs. I abolutely love Liberi Fatali.

My only gripes: I wish the other characters had more depth. They deserved much more IMO.

Setzer Gabianni
03-23-2007, 10:45 AM
The characters were boring. No interesting backgrounds. RinoaxSquall sucked. Not liking how they trained little kids up to be elite fighters, when they should have had an army for that. Still liked it regardless. The things I've just mentioned are only like..minor problems. well, not regarding the characters.

This is my 2nd fave FF, in combination with VI. XII being the first. TA 3rd, IX 4th, IV 5th.

VII is somewhere in the list..

Bolivar
03-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I attempted the game multiple times and never finished because I thought it wasn't worth it, and considered it one of the worst FF's.

After beating it last year it's definatley one of my favorites, and one of the best FF's, arguably the best. i know that's hard to swallow for some fans but that's where i'm at right now. I also consider it the last original original FF in that IX was more of a tribute than a standalone game and the PS2 games have lost some key aspects. X's still one of my favorite though.

TyphoonThaReapa
03-29-2007, 11:20 PM
A'yo, this is one of THE best and my personal FAVORITE DAMMIT!!! I love this game. It's what got me into the series in the first place.

Darth Anarcus
03-30-2007, 01:04 AM
It's still my favorite Final Fantasy game, and one of my favorite games of all time. I'm currently as well. Rather, I'm speed-playing it - meaning that I'm using all kinds of Gameshark codes (yes, I'm cheating) so that I can zip through most battles and mainly re-experience the story - because I'll be away next week. It takes me two days to get through each disk.

I still love it.

profskett
03-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I just completed it too :) Sweet ending sequence - slightly weird but cool. I was told there was some kind of huge twist at the very end, but I didn't see any... did I miss something?

And yes, FF8 is awesome, but I still prefer number 9 myself for storyline.

McLovin'
03-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Epic story. That's all I care about.

jammi567
03-30-2007, 08:18 PM
I just completed it too :) Sweet ending sequence - slightly weird but cool. I was told there was some kind of huge twist at the very end, but I didn't see any... did I miss something?
yeah, there was. It was the fact that Squall created a time papadox, where the events of the game will continiously loop over and over again.

Discord
03-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Hmm... Well, I liked the game a lot actually. Definitely one of my very favourites ones. Just waiting for FFX to arrive now. Hopefully it's just as good, or better!

Eiko Guy
03-31-2007, 07:37 AM
I dont think it will continuosly loop time will continue after it has happened. it will begin in the fuure and end in the past and it will be over.

yanis
04-01-2007, 12:08 AM
FF8 is NOT one of my favourites...IT IS my favourite, but I haven't played X-XII yet!!!

I downloaded this game!
Oh and it was the only FF I bought...I downloaded all the others!!!:D

Goldenboko
04-01-2007, 02:29 AM
I don't like it because I found the storyline awful, they tried to through a little bit of everything in this game and it just didn't work out. The gameplay was fun, but too easy, and once I was half way through the game I was playing it just because I wanted to beat it, if I was enjoying it well.... not so much.

On the brightside PuPu originates from this game.

McLovin'
04-01-2007, 09:57 AM
As for the time loop....there will be a time loop...

Squall in the past will go through the same events that his future self went through. Technically we were playing the game from one of the loops. If Squall had NOT told Edea about Garden and SeeD then there would be no loop. Squall would have gone to the future and all would be well.

Discord
04-02-2007, 11:44 PM
*tears is shirt apart*

FE-MAN SAVES THE WORLD!

Comet
04-03-2007, 12:37 AM
FF8: Either hate it or love it.

SeeDRankLou
04-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Squall in the past will go through the same events that his future self went through. Technically we were playing the game from one of the loops. If Squall had NOT told Edea about Garden and SeeD then there would be no loop. Squall would have gone to the future and all would be well.
It isn't a time loop, it's a time reorganization. All the events that happen in this game happen only once, it's just instead of going:

it goes:

No experiences anything in this game more than once. Squall only has one childhood and only tells Edea about the Garden and SeeD once, it's just that as a teenager while he is experiencing his childhood. And he defeats Ultimecia....after he dies.

Rocket Edge
04-04-2007, 02:07 AM
True, it's that kinda game i guess.

I personally loved it. It's my all-time favourite game.

Dr. Acula
04-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I love FF8! It's not one of my top five (FF7, FF6, FF1, FF12, FF5- but then again, I haven't played that many of them) but I still love it to bits! It's a really great game, despite the plotholes, lack of character backstory and forced relationships (no offence SquallxRinoa fans!).

Mirage
04-04-2007, 03:30 PM

It isn't a time loop, it's a time reorganization. All the events that happen in this game happen only once, it's just instead of going:

it goes:

No experiences anything in this game more than once. Squall only has one childhood and only tells Edea about the Garden and SeeD once, it's just that as a teenager while he is experiencing his childhood. And he defeats Ultimecia....after he dies.

Time loops don't make you experience things more than once.

Time loop imo.

TyphoonThaReapa
04-04-2007, 03:48 PM

A'yo, it seems like the cool people like this game the best. Cheers to us Traffic son.:beer:

Hazzard
04-04-2007, 03:58 PM
I enjoyed the whole 9/10 of the game, but only disliked this one time when you had only Rinoa with you and you had to fight these Re-spawning aliens and get through the ship. That got kinda boring and i got lost...

Comet
04-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah, that part wasn't partically fun to do, but I still find FF8 my favourite Final Fantasy game of all time! It used to be FF7 but I eventually switched back to my original FF8...

Mirage
04-04-2007, 04:46 PM
That part was rather simple :p

TyphoonThaReapa
04-04-2007, 05:11 PM

A'yo, it was simple.:cool: :rolleyes2

Cookie
04-04-2007, 05:16 PM
First FF I ever played, played nearly all of them now and it's probably still my favourite. I forgot what the point of the thread was, but yeah I like VIII. :p

jammi567
04-04-2007, 05:21 PM
I enjoyed the whole 9/10 of the game, but only disliked this one time when you had only Rinoa with you and you had to fight these Re-spawning aliens and get through the ship. That got kinda boring and i got lost...
That's piss easy with Squall. Plus, you get loads of experiance!

Comet
04-04-2007, 06:03 PM

Yes, simple, but not enjoyable due to the fact I was not using Rinoa in my party before that, so she was like LV 13. And I don't remember you getting loads of experience jammi567. All I remember is 0 EXP and loads of those Aura stones, Protect stones, Death stones etc...

Aoria Macwere
04-04-2007, 06:25 PM

yes, it is my favorite game too. I love everything about it the story/plot/system/level up system/ Gfs and Squall of course <3 It is a great game to me.

jammi567
04-04-2007, 06:58 PM
And I don't remember you getting loads of experience jammi567. All I remember is 0 EXP and loads of those Aura stones, Protect stones, Death stones etc...
Ahh, my mistake then. I haven't played that section in ages, so....

McLovin'
04-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Just ask Sir Bahamut for an explanation on the loop. :)