PDA

View Full Version : One Time Only

Loony BoB
03-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Man this game is awesome. Anyway, I was wondering just how many things there are in the game that you can't get just anytime - eg. a Hunt that you can only complete before such-and-such part of the story has passed by, or an item that you can only get once and never again, etc.

Please, of course, mark all story-related spoilers in spoiler tags as I'm still in progress of playing the game. :) I just keep wondering if I've missed out on something, and I hate that feeling.

Hazzard
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey, where are you in the game?

Loony BoB
03-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Just got the second Esper (Mateus or something, can't remember).

EDIT: Before someone says it, I already know about the whole Zodiac thingy of which you can only get if you don't collect certain treasure chests or something... but sadly I found that one out too late.

chrisguapo69
03-07-2007, 04:18 PM
We can't answer your question if we don't know where you are in the game.

theundeadhero
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I haven't beaten the game yet, but I'm mostly through and the spear is the only thing I remember like that.

Loony BoB
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
We can't answer your question if we don't know where you are in the game.
I believe getting Mateus is part of the storyline, so I don't understand how my previous post is causing a problem?

DK
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
As far as I know you still can, but I'm not entirely sure. :monster:

I've done all hunts before progressing on with the game anyway, I think.

edit: o wait, read the post wrong. I don't know what things you can miss, then.

Renmiri
03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
One time only: Steal Genji armor on the Ancient man of mystery hunt.

Pretty much any steal items from bosses can only be gotten once.

Also:
1) At the Stillshrine of Miriam there's an easy way to get loot and chain skeletons to your hearts content but can only be done before you solve the puzzle i.e. equip the dawn shard. Before you do that every time you touch the pedestal that opens the sealed doors will spawn 3 Dark Knights. Which drop blood stained bones = ca-ching!
2)At the Necrohol of Nabudis you can buy Ethers (if you can survive the journey.. level 40 recommended) only until you get to the Pharos

3) The Moogle 8 sidestory can only be seen in it's entirety until you get to Ridorana

4) one you probably lost already: Deliver the packet to the Seeq before Vayne's speech in Rabanastre. After you finish the Rogue Tomato hunt it's gone. No big loss, you jst get tons of gil at a time you have 0 :D

Nominus Experse
03-07-2007, 08:08 PM
I believe most of the things you can miss are either Gil or various treasures that pale in comparison to other treasures later on in the game - ones that do not dissappear.

As far as I know, Marks become available only after certain conditions have been met, but they will not dissappear once they are on the board. The Gil Snapper Hunt was available to me for almost the entire game - I didn't accept it until I was aroun level 70.

And there is a better place in the Stillshrine of Miriam than what Renmiri mentioned if you feel like colleting Gil and most notably, Experience. However, it's always available, unlike what Renmiri mentioned.

Oh, and don't sell the Gaint Serpentskin. Although you can still complete the quest, you don't get as great of shinies as you do if you still have the Giant Serpentskin.

Jerseymilk
03-09-2007, 03:55 PM
The "July the Streetear" sidequest is also one that you have to do at a specific point. It takes place in Nalbina and becomes available as soon as you obtain the Dawn Shard, but you *must* do the first half of it *before* you move on to the Mosphoran Highwaste. If you do move on then you can't come back and complete it later.

Wolf Kanno
03-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Just got the second Esper (Mateus or something, can't remember).

EDIT: Before someone says it, I already know about the whole Zodiac thingy of which you can only get if you don't collect certain treasure chests or something... but sadly I found that one out too late.

There's another way to get the spear. It's just insanely difficult as it has a low percentage of dropping from that treasure chest. It's a treasure in the Hennes Mine Dig Shaft 2.

lte
03-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Just a question: I went back to giruvegan to get Ultima. Along the way I picked up the chests (I used this (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/459841/46722) map) on the way and one of them is supposed to have the excalibur greatsword inside. Well I took the chest and it was only a couple of gils instead, I couldnt bother restart a dungeon I was wandering for a while so did I lose the opportunity of getting excalibur for good? D=

Diango12
03-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Steal steal steal. I can't stress this enough for every battle make at least an effort to do one steal you'll get some very valuable items. Dont worry to much about hunts you can do almost no hunt and then at the end of the game catch up. But be prepared because later on the much harder to track hunts will start eating away at your hours.

And finnaly there is a surprise waiting for you at the very end of the game when you beatin all the hunts you get to fight for the first time in FF history a God! (Yiaz hunt) he has one million HP and you will most likely have him beat within one or two weeks of battling and saving during the fight which you can do.

Have fun

ValiantKnight
03-09-2007, 11:49 PM
(Yiaz hunt) he has one Fifty million HP and you will most likely have him beat within one or two weeks of battling and saving during the fight which you can do.

Have fun

:)

Diango12
03-10-2007, 01:27 AM
Silence how dare you try and refute me :D

kinda forgot :mog:

Renmiri
03-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Another interesting thing about Yiazmat:

Its name is a reference to director Yasumi Matsuno's nickname (Yazumi Matsuno, the additional "i" in Yiazmat's name is not present in the Japanese version). The title of the hunt is "End of a Legend", a reference to how he had to leave the company before the game was complete and the story that Montblanc tells is a reference to how the development team felt about him, albeit with a different end.

Diango12
03-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Another interesting thing about Yiazmat:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yiazmat[/B]:] http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yiazmat:
Its name is a reference to director Yasumi Matsuno's nickname (Yazumi Matsuno, the additional "i" in Yiazmat's name is not present in the Japanese version). The title of the hunt is "End of a Legend", a reference to how he had to leave the company before the game was complete and the story that Montblanc tells is a reference to how the development team felt about him, albeit with a different end.

Awesome! :D

Yasumi Matsuno's had a vision that Final Fantasy just can't do without. Which is why I am sad to see him go and not focus more on FF. I hope he does better and continues to strive for greater scale in his future production's.