PDA

View Full Version : Quotes

Roto13
03-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Just because I'm bored, I thought I'd make a topic. What are your favourite quotes? Just little blurbs or lines that are amusing or profound or whatever. I like to keep a list on my computer. :P

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Love is a very powerful force. Even more so when it's focused into a coherent beam of destruction.

There are some great ones from Douglas Adams.

The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.

And perhaps my favourite quote ever:

Always do what you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Anyway, give 'er.

Sergeant Hartman
03-07-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm just going outside I may be some time.

Old Manus
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
For Taimat there is only victory.

Sergeant Hartman
03-07-2007, 05:18 PM
For Taimat there is only victory.
Thread won.

Rocket Edge
03-07-2007, 05:20 PM
"They got money for wars but can't feed the poor"

"I'm old enough to go to war, but i ain't old enough to drink"

Bunny
03-07-2007, 06:00 PM
“Hope — it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.”

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.

I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.

Slothy
03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
A few of my faves:

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to snack on vegetables." - Karl Gans

"You can't manipulate the marionette with only one string" - It's from one of the Dune books. Chapterhouse I think.

"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience." - Dune

"Let us not rail about justice so long as we have arms and the freedom to use them." - Dune

"If you need something to worship, then worship life - all life, every last crawling bit of it! We're all in this beauty together!" - Dune Messiah

"My uncle Malky use to say that love was a bad bargain because you get no gaurantees." "Your uncle Malky was a smart wise man." "He was stupid! Love needs no guarantees." - God Emperor of Dune - Hwi Noree to Duncan Idaho

Meat Puppet
03-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I only have two.

<blockquote>I値l never know the touch of a beautiful woman. And I値l never know the joy of driving through the city without a bag over my head. But I知 not a loser. Because, despite it all, me and every other guy who値l never be what they wanted to be, is out there, being what we don稚 want to be, forty hours a week, for life. And the fact that I didn稚 put a gun in my mouth years ago葉hat little fact makes me a winner, baby.
Al Bundy</blockquote>

Oh, whoops.

And his name was Hammy. He hated me. I used to feel his brains (because hamsters have really thin skulls) and...well, maybe that's why he hated me. I don't know. I was a kid. And then he bit my daddy's hand and ran away one day.

Bahamut2000X
03-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Most everything on this page (http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/quotes.html) is fairly amusing. Though I'm particularly fond of

"I don't feel good."
- The last words of Luther Burbank

and of course

"Attention to health is life's greatest hindrance."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)

"Plato was a bore."
- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

"Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal."
- Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)

"I'm not going to get into the ring with Tolstoy."
- Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

"Hemingway was a jerk."
- Harold Robbins

Roto13
03-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I only have two.

<blockquote>I値l never know the touch of a beautiful woman. And I値l never know the joy of driving through the city without a bag over my head. But I知 not a loser. Because, despite it all, me and every other guy who値l never be what they wanted to be, is out there, being what we don稚 want to be, forty hours a week, for life. And the fact that I didn稚 put a gun in my mouth years ago葉hat little fact makes me a winner, baby.
Al Bundy</blockquote>

I like that one. :P

For Children: You will need to know the difference between Friday and a fried egg. It's quite a simple difference, but an important one. Friday comes at the end of the week, whereas a fried egg comes out of a chicken. Like most things, of course, it isn't quite that simple. The fried egg isn't properly a fried egg until it's been put in a frying pan and fried. This is something you wouldn't do to a Friday, of course, though you might do it on a Friday. You can also fry eggs on a Thursday, if you like, or on a cooker. It's all rather complicated, but it makes a kind of sense if you think about it for a while.

XxSephirothxX
03-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Anything by Douglas Adams, really, though this is probably my favorite:

Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.

Also, there are so many awesome lines in both The Talisman and It that I don't want to do an injustice to by misquoting. But they're there, and they're fantastic.

This is definitely one of my favorite quotes:

There's stories and then there's stories. The ones with any worth change your life forever, perhaps only in a small way, but once you've heard them, they are forever a part of you. You nurture them and pass them on, and the giving only makes you feel better. The others are just words on a page.

Neil Gaiman has written some really, really great stuff, as well, and there are far too many good lines in Sandman to think about picking through. But there's one, probably from my favorite issue, that I already have copied down, so here we go:

At the end of the procession, a bit behind everyone else, there were these two girls. One of them kept hesitating. She'd walk a few steps and stop. Like she's forgotten what she was doing, where she was. The she'd walk a little more. The other one...The one at the end. I think I fell in love with her, a little bit. Isn't that dumb? But it was like I knew her. Like she was my oldest, dearest friend. The kind of person you can tell anything to, no matter how bad, and they'll still love you, because they know you. I wanted to go with her. I wanted her to notice me. And then she stopped walking. Under the moon, she stopped. And she looked at us. She looked at me. Maybe she was trying to tell me something; I don't know. She probably didn't even know I was there. But I'll always love her. All my life.

The first line in his novel Anansi Boys is also great, I think.

It begins, as most things begin, with a song.

Griff
03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
You know that look women give you when they want sex? Me neither.

If your parents never had children chances are you won't either.

I don't know anything about music. In my line of work you don't have to.

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Cocaine is God's way of saying you're making too much money.

The key to immortality is living a life which is worth being remembered.

Sergeant Hartman
03-07-2007, 10:03 PM
If your parents never had children chances are you won't either.

I love that one :hat:

ReloadPsi
03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
The entirety of this: <!--http://maritan.ytmnd.com (Not safe for work, school or anywhere else you might get in trouble)-->That video is inappropriate for this website, so don't post anything like that again. Thanks! -kikimm

Usually I'd run off all my favourite movie and video game quotes, yet for some odd reason I can't think of any of them. Damn it.

EDIT: Yikes! Sorry! It was basically a multitude of Full Metal Jacket lines being spoken by a young Japanese lady, taken from an actual language course you can get in Japan that teaches English slang.

Roto13
03-07-2007, 10:22 PM
At the end of the procession, a bit behind everyone else, there were these two girls. One of them kept hesitating. She'd walk a few steps and stop. Like she's forgotten what she was doing, where she was. The she'd walk a little more. The other one...The one at the end. I think I fell in love with her, a little bit. Isn't that dumb? But it was like I knew her. Like she was my oldest, dearest friend. The kind of person you can tell anything to, no matter how bad, and they'll still love you, because they know you. I wanted to go with her. I wanted her to notice me. And then she stopped walking. Under the moon, she stopped. And she looked at us. She looked at me. Maybe she was trying to tell me something; I don't know. She probably didn't even know I was there. But I'll always love her. All my life.

That one probably loses it's impact if you don't know who he's talking about. :P

Jebus
03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I like most of the quotes from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, but these are a few of my favorites:

This one amuses me:

"We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?"

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

"I sit in my cubicle, here on the motherworld.
When I die, they will put my body in a box and
dispose of it in the cold ground.
And in all the million ages to come, I will never
breathe or laugh or twitch again.
So won't you run and play with me here among the
teeming mass of humanity?
The universe has spared us this moment."

Anonymous

"The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist. Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done.""

Academician Prokhor Zakharov
University Commencement

"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever."

Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The Father of Rocketry

"As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

Commissioner Pravin Lal
"U.N. Declaration of Rights"

"Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest."

Friedrich Nietzsche
"Thus Spoke Zarathustra"

One more:

"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist."

Academician Prokhor Zakharov
"For I Have Tasted The Fruit"

Yeah, that game's full of good ones, and yes, some of those are from real people, but they're still good quotes.

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-07-2007, 10:44 PM
The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago... had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands.

Every day with you is an adventure I never wanted. Like swimming naked through shards of glass

An eye for an eye makes the world go blind.

Just go along with things and let your mind move freely. Resign yourself to what cannot be avoided and nourish what is within you--this is best. What more do you have to do to fulfill your mission? Nothing is as good as following orders (obeying fate)--that's how difficult it is!

Before we begin to read the Ancient Mariner we know that the Polar Seas are not inhabited by spirits, and that if a man shoots an albatross he is not a criminal but a sportsman, and that if he stuffs the albatross afterwards he becomes a naturalist also. All this is common knowledge, but when we are reading the Ancient Mariner or remembering it intensely, common knowledge disappears and uncommon knowledge takes place. We have entered a universe that only answers to its own laws, supports itself, internally coheres, and has a new standard of truth

...but instead of promising eternity to each other at the start, we can arrive at eternity at the end.

Nominus Experse
03-07-2007, 10:50 PM
God damn it... Jebus did what I was going to do...

Fonzie
03-07-2007, 10:58 PM
One does not simply walk into Mordor. He dances.

I Took the Red Pill
03-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.

Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth.

'Evil men have no songs.' How is it that the Russians have songs?

PyroManiak
03-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally Bespoken by Doctor Seuss:
Always do what you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

lol...yeh I definetely agree with him on that one...dam haters can go to hell...always hating on my pimp pants cuz i got style

fire_of_avalon
03-07-2007, 11:28 PM
The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them. It痴 hard to make strangers care about the good things in your life.

It's easy to be miserable. Being happy is tougher - and cooler.

Sometimes, the things we are most motivated about don't seem like choices when they really are.

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?

When people are laughing, they're generally not killing one another.

Mitch
03-08-2007, 01:03 AM
It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.

black orb
03-08-2007, 01:59 AM
You impertinent fools. I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Iceglow
03-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Death is lighter than a feather,
Duty heavier than a mountain.

The above quote is in the stories of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan, although I have quoted it from a character who said it first I know that it is listed in the book "the world of Robert Jordan's the wheel of time" as a Saying in Shienar a country in it's world.

Araciel
03-08-2007, 06:33 AM
see my sig. if you can guess who said it, i'll give you a cookie.

Gabranth
03-08-2007, 06:46 AM
"A true friend stabs you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

i think he said this one too:

"Only dead fish swim with the stream."

dodhungry
03-08-2007, 07:09 AM
I cant believe there is truely another person who enjoys the Dune saga as much as I do. However one quote that I like was missed:

If Fishes were wishes we would all cast nets.-Dune

But my all time favorite quote comes from no other than a hobo who you meed in the computer game Baldur's Gate-its long but halarious.

"Insights? Um....Never take raisins from rabbits, never spit in a mans face unless his mostache is on fire, and dont take my wooden knickers unless you've a good supply of salve." Response: "I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, question assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hosage talking, iron mangening, smart arsed fools, ficaks,and felons that continusly test my will, mettle, strength, intellegance, and most of all PATIENCE!! If you got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent littly head of yours, I want to hear it pretty da*n quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lenghtwise into a creivice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizes of the nine hells themselfs wouldn't touch it with a twenty foot rusty halberd. Have I made myself perfectly CLEAR!?"

and lastly

I just need to concentrate on milk.....no wait....Redbull- Caboose from RvB

Owen Macwere
03-08-2007, 09:51 AM
People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

No.78
03-08-2007, 10:47 AM
For Children: You will need to know the difference between Friday and a fried egg. It's quite a simple difference, but an important one. Friday comes at the end of the week, whereas a fried egg comes out of a chicken. Like most things, of course, it isn't quite that simple. The fried egg isn't properly a fried egg until it's been put in a frying pan and fried. This is something you wouldn't do to a Friday, of course, though you might do it on a Friday. You can also fry eggs on a Thursday, if you like, or on a cooker. It's all rather complicated, but it makes a kind of sense if you think about it for a while.

Holy crap Roto, never before had a day and a food ever become so muddled =/ *dies*

Iceglow
03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
good and evil, right or wrong they're just a matter of perspective.

A computer game one but so damn true I love that quote one of my favourite in the game.

SNOOZER
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
"This is fish number six hundred and forty-one in a lifetime of goldfish. My parents bought me the first one to teach me about loving and caring for another living breathing creature of God. Six hundred and forty fish later, the only thing I know is everything you love will die. The first time you meet that someone special, you can count on them one day being dead and in the ground."

-Chuck Palahniuk's Survivor

ReloadPsi
03-08-2007, 01:27 PM
good and evil, right or wrong they're just a matter of perspective.

A computer game one but so damn true I love that quote one of my favourite in the game.
I think he says that to himself in his head... I forget though.

Okay, suddenly all my favourites are coming back to me. Here goes.

Get my magical dance

I'm Dr. Bomb. I'm a nice, grey haired man. Come on! I'm the strongest in the world.

Ha ha ha! Go to noting!

Ihdecision will get you nowhere.

Me will use my pretty miracle power X.

Go home and be a family man!

You swindler!

This is not a leotard!

Go away. We're like, closed or something/

Breakin' the law! Breakin' the law!

And it just goes on and on. So many lines that I've found awesome and keep stealing for my own personal use.

Giga Guess
03-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I reject your reality and substitute my own!