PDA

View Full Version : Most depressing Final Fantasy

Tempest
03-07-2007, 05:40 PM
In your opinions, which Final Fantasy do you think is the most depressing or sad. Story or character wise.

I think Final Fantasy VI is the most depressing. Almost all the main characters have a sad past and even the world itself gets destroyed.

Rocket Edge
03-07-2007, 05:43 PM
I thought VII was. Not only did aeris die, but the whole game was one big grim tale that i just didn't like. At times it was even depressing to play.

jammi567
03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
even though it's not on there, i would have to pick X-2, not because of the storyline, but because of the depression you get when you think *Fu*k, why the hell didthey ever have to make this game*.

charliepanayi
03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I'd go for either FFIV and FFVI, a lot of the characters really go through the wringer in either game, and there is a fair amount of physical and emotional devastation.

Bunny
03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Final Fantasy VI had the greatest potential to be depressing.

Darth Anarcus
03-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't any of them have been downright depressing in the truest sense of the word. I think the series has been pretty good about keeping an uplifting undertone in all of its games. However, I'd say that thye ones that come closest would be FF7 and FFX.

Goldenboko
03-07-2007, 08:13 PM
X-2 because I want to cut myself everytime I play it xp

I say VI. Everyone has some kinda say backstory.
Terra has no family, Locke's love died, Cyan's family died. etc

Mirage
03-07-2007, 08:15 PM
even though it's not on there, i would have to pick X-2, not because of the storyline, but because of the depression you get when you think *Fu*k, why the hell didthey ever have to make this game*.
I don't get why people fail to see why they made it...

Anyway, FFVI, probably.

oddler
03-07-2007, 08:17 PM
I think Final Fantasy Tactics was the most depressing. Why is that not on there? :(

Darth Anarcus
03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
X-2 because I want to cut myself everytime I play it xp
Amen to that, brother.

ValiantKnight
03-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Tactics > VI > IV

Tactics > IV > VI

Cruise Control
03-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Final Fantasy 1. Its depressing to play. I dled it the other day, and said "Wow, what a piece of :skull::skull::skull::skull:!". If thats all it takes to save a company, no wonder not many go under.

BarelySeeAtAll
03-07-2007, 09:08 PM
7 cos i want to be there more than anything else in he world, thinking about most of the people makes me cry cos i wanna be with them...

Renmiri
03-07-2007, 09:19 PM

QFT!

chrisfffan
03-07-2007, 10:45 PM
the world of 7 was very depressing but that’s what made it great! that you could make a difference for the better.

Tempest
03-08-2007, 01:10 AM
I think Final Fantasy Tactics was the most depressing. Why is that not on there? :(

I wanted it to just be the main series. And, I did forget X-2. :(

Psychotic
03-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Maybe IX, because of the senseless destruction of so many cities.

Zeromus_X
03-08-2007, 04:24 AM
I think VI is probably the most depressing. Celes's attempted suicide gets me every time.

I don't really find VII too depressing. I mean, I know it has its fair share of cataclysmic events just like the rest of the series, but I never really found it too depressing...but it had a high 'bad guys that make you hate them' rate.

LoKuS
03-08-2007, 04:28 AM
Final Fantasy 1. Its depressing to play. I dled it the other day, and said "Wow, what a piece of :skull::skull::skull::skull:!". If thats all it takes to save a company, no wonder not many go under.

BLASPHEMY!!!!

jammi567
03-08-2007, 07:31 AM
As well as my choice above, i'm also going to go for 1, because i can(and to see what the results are, although i can guess...)

The Mog Ninja
03-08-2007, 08:24 AM
final fantasy is depressing?

Wolf Kanno
03-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Well there is FFII since just about everyone who helps you dies and Leon turned out to be a power hungry traitor

I'm going to say that FFX tries to be the most depressing but failed for me as well as FFX-2 just destroying the games beautiful ending (enough reason to hate this game, let alone it's other flaws)

In the end, FFVI and FFXII.

In FFVI, every character has a traumatic past filled with death and loss. The parties failure to stop Kefka cause the world to be nearly destroyed, and when Celes believes that everything is lost, she tries to kill herself to end her own pain...

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS!!!
In FFXII, Vaan loses his brother, Ashe loses her father and husband as well as her kingdom. Basch is framed as a traitor by his brother, which result in him being hated by everyone including the people he swore to protect. Balthier kills his father, Fran is forced to face her decision to abandon her family and friends to gain her own personal freedom, Reddas dies trying to make amend his crimes at Nabudis, Vossler betrays you and is killed by you own hands. Not to mention the total senselessness of the war being started. Throw in the fact that Basch can never return to the land he restored at the end as well as Lady Ashe, because of her status, can no longer openly converse with the party. Hell Gabranth dies at the end just as he finally comes to terms with Bacsh.

Yuriev's ghost
03-08-2007, 09:58 AM
FFT. There is no contest.

Bunny
03-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Gotta love the people that don't understand system limitations.

sockmonkey
03-08-2007, 02:23 PM
The last one they decide to make because after that there won't be any more.

Nominus Experse
03-08-2007, 06:02 PM
The most depressing world was FFVII
The FF with the most depressing overtone was FFX
The most depressing story was FFVI
And the most depressing backstory to all the characters was FFXII

But the single most depressing FF is FFX-2. Seriously, WTF?

jammi567
03-08-2007, 06:19 PM
final fantasy is depressing?
errrr, haven't you read any of the posts on this thread?! ;)

f f freak
03-08-2007, 06:40 PM
I found FFVIII so depressing. I mean that pathetic love story. It makes me cry every time I think about Rinoa and Squall after the end, with Squall ruthlessly hacking away at Rinoa with his gunblade because she was so annoying. That poor girl.

I really think that FFX in quite depressing at the end but then so is FFIX because of all that destruction and at the end of Disc two. I actually found it quite depressing with Vivi saying how Garnet was crying.

Hazzard
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
This is a pretty depressing thread.

Cruise Control
03-08-2007, 09:30 PM

Gotta love the people that don't understand system limitations.Gotta love people who have ceased to recognize sarcasm.

jammi567
03-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Gotta love the people that don't understand system limitations.Gotta love people who have ceased to recognize sarcasm.
Gotta love people who don't realize that people can say things that are like being sarcastic, but actually aren't.

Evastio
03-08-2007, 10:01 PM
It would have to be FFII. Unlike FFVI most of the cities in the game got destroyed and a lot of the playable characters ended up dying.

black orb
03-09-2007, 01:47 AM
>>> FF10..

darksword12
03-09-2007, 01:58 AM
I found FFVIII so depressing. I mean that pathetic love story. It makes me cry every time I think about Rinoa and Squall after the end, with Squall ruthlessly hacking away at Rinoa with his gunblade because she was so annoying. That poor girl.

I really think that FFX in quite depressing at the end but then so is FFIX because of all that destruction and at the end of Disc two. I actually found it quite depressing with Vivi saying how Garnet was crying.

Try hiding your spoilers next time! I mean come on, some of us haven't beaten FFVII!

I'd have to say FFVII, for the same reason as the first guy who chose it. FFII comes in second because there are so many people who die.

Can someone teach me how to do that spoiler hiding thing, where you have to highlight it to see it?

EDIT: Once again, I've found something out on my own, so never mind!

DarkLadyNyara
03-09-2007, 04:56 AM
FFII. The death toll is one of the biggest factors in that. I mean, half the people who join you, as well as the population of four cities...yeah. :(

Then there's the whole Leon thing. Little bitch. :mad:

It would have to be FFII. Unlike FFVI most of the cities in the game got destroyed and a lot of the playable characters ended up dying.

KazexLisa
03-10-2007, 12:54 AM
II AND IV were seriously depressing....

Zora
03-10-2007, 04:07 AM
I think VI is probably the most depressing. Celes's attempted suicide gets me every time.

I am glad I am not the only one who cried when that happened. Had to turn the power off to stop myself. Ya, you heard me, a 14 year old boy cried because a character attempted suicide in a video game.

[spoilers] VI. Most people I see are mindlessly saying VII just because of the dark atmosphere and a single character death. VI had many character deaths (almost all of them happened in the past) and had a much darker atmosphere in the WoR. And FFIV turned to be a very dark game too. Trust me, the beforementioned Celes's death, Mobliz in WoR (place where Terra was), Cyan's debut with the poisening of doma, all very depressing. Not only that almost every backstory is VERY depressing. So in short I will say VI.

Cruise Control
03-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Try hiding your spoilers next time! I mean come on, some of us haven't beaten FFVII!The forums only require spoilers for up to five years after the games release.

Gotta love people who don't realize that people can say things that are like being sarcastic, but actually aren't.Gotta love people who meddle in other peoples affairs.

EDIT: It's all good, Bunny.

MikeL Valentine
03-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I think FF7 and FF10 though I haven't finished it yet it makes me feel sorry for Yuna and Tidus.

Remon
03-10-2007, 09:48 PM
I say final fantasy X

Goldenboko
03-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Gotta love people who don't realize that people can say things that are like being sarcastic, but actually aren't.Gotta love people who meddle in other peoples affairs.

I find so much irony in this

LunarWeaver
03-13-2007, 08:14 PM
X is the most depressing to me. Tidus... :crying:

The Palom and Porom situation in IV also made me wicked sad when it happened. I really can't explain why, but I was oddly affected by that :Oo:

jammi567
03-13-2007, 10:05 PM

I find so much irony in this
definatly gotta love the irony of the irony!?

Zora
03-14-2007, 04:37 AM
FFII. The death toll is one of the biggest factors in that. I mean, half the people who join you, as well as the population of four cities...yeah. :(

Then there's the whole Leon thing. Little bitch. :mad:

Not only that but the unknown number of people who died at the beginning. Remember when they were trying to escape (well before that actually) they said "there parents died in a assualt by the Emperor" making you guess more people died.

Yes, FFII deinitly has the biggest death toll.

CloudySky
03-14-2007, 01:50 PM
The only FF which has kinda depressing story is FFX.
I don't find FF6 or FF7 depressing, they have sad moments but I don't feel depressed after I see "the end" while FFX... I love the game, I really do, but story is depressing, the ending is kinda hopeless, although it's a new start for Spira, but just think how many people on that planet died to Sin without any reason actually!
And if that wouldn't be enough Tidus is a dream, no hope for Yuna, the most charismatic character Auron is dead, half of the Spira seems to be walking dead people! Seymours childhood is what made him to end how he ended, his mother sacrificied her life for him etc, etc. Do you really need more? I felt depressed for days after finishing FFX. Still it's a great story and great game nevertheless!

Bunny
03-14-2007, 02:05 PM

It most certainly is not all good, Cruise Control! Consider this my declaration of your being my newest mortal enemy. En garde, infidel! The fight commences at dusk on the night of the next full moon. You shall fall, villian. Tweeehehehehehe!!

I don't really know what's going on here anymore.

Nobody knows about spoilers though.

LoKuS
03-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I totally forgot about FFII, a ton of people die in that game.

Setzer Gabianni
03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I chose 4

FFXII: The amount of people suffering/that die during the game amazes me. I get emotional every time. Especially with Drace's death and Gabranths passing. Also Ghis and Vossler's death. ..I could continue but I wont >:/

FFVII: All the people living under the plate leading such a :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty life, living in the slums. Reminds me of 3rd world countries to an extent.

FFVIII: The fact that they have to train little kids up to be fighters/killers whatever, saddens me. Don't they have some sort of official army? Why rely on kids?

FFX: Good lord. Wasn't Kilika depressing enough?