PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for Don Tonberry?

utelektr
03-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Basically, I need to beat Don Tonberry. I have Ultimate weapons for Yuna and Auron, and both have completed their grids BUT I'm a wimp compared to the powah of Don Tonberry. But I can make a Trio of 9999. What should I do? Should I use Trio of 9999 liek, 30 times cause my characters will be dying in, liek, 1 shot? >______>;;;

Just answer me dammit.

rubah
03-08-2007, 02:42 AM
Get overdrive->ap weapons, set overdrive mode to comrade or stoic, get hit by karma often, and make dying help you out. Magic is free so cast life whenever they die, and run away after he is done sneaking up on you.

The sphere levels should add up quickly, so then use them to make your party better so they're able to hit harder and kill him! Don't waste items for trio of 9999 unless you're doing some sort of challenge game :p

utelektr
03-08-2007, 02:47 AM
I said beat him, not get AP. -_-

Firo Volondé
03-08-2007, 06:31 AM
1) You are most definitely in need of AP desperately if you can't beat Don Tonberry. :rolleyes2 What I hate is when people ask for help beating so-and-so, but don't post their stats. But yours are obviously way too low, or you'd be doing V9 damage a turn and wouldn't have a problem. My advice? Raise your stats to the 200+ range. kthxbye.
2) Need to beat Don Tonberry? What for? It can't be for AP, or you wouldn't have made that last post, or for bragging rights, as he just isn't that great.
3) Well... read rubah's post again, and try to make some sense of it.

The Mog Ninja
03-08-2007, 06:35 AM
isnt maxing ur sphere grid meaning u have maxed stats?

Firo Volondé
03-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Not even close, unless you've earned a crapload of Stat Spheres from the Species Creation and built up your stats that way.

The Mog Ninja
03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
then how do u put up ur stats when u max the grid???

Little Blue
03-08-2007, 11:28 AM
then how do u put up ur stats when u max the grid???

Buy a hell of a lot of clear spheres to delete the useless +1, +2 and +3 stats, and replace them with the stat sphere you win from the creations. It helps if you max the grid before hand as you can move much quicker to replace the nodes, and this is where I think the Don comes in, to give you a bucket load of sphere levels.

Or something like that...

Tavrobel
03-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Actually, you can get maxed stats in everything except Luck, MP, and HP with the nodes that are provided, including unused nodes. You just need Purple Spheres (Species Creations drops) to place +4s where necessary.

To beat Don Tonberry without resorting to level-ups, simply start the battle with characters that haven't killed anything (Yuna, Rikku, maybe Kimahri) and attack as often as possible. He will only Karma you for low damage, the calculation being roughly (kills * 3). Just attack as normal, until he gets closer to you.

Everytime he takes a turn, he takes a step, and once he has three turns, he will remain in the Chef's Knife position, which means your only concern is his Knife, which can attack multiple characters. Cast Protect (assuming it doesn't kill you in one shot), Hastega, and bringing more powerful characters, if you can break 9999 damage. Since you have Celestials, I will say that you can. He stops using Karma as a counter-attack, after that point (I've yet to see him use Karma, if he does).

Don't use Trio of 9999, you are just shooting yourself in the foot, and those little blood cells will come back to haunt you in your sleep and bleed you until you die from heart failure or shock.

utelektr
03-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I want to make sure I can reliably beat Don Tonberry before attempting the AP Trick. I know I don't have to beat him for the AP Trick but... just in case. >_> <_<

EDIT: Never mind, I killed it.

Sain Cai
03-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Doesnt he only kill one person at a time? Would just customizing armor or whatever with auto phoenix ensure he will be beat it due time?

Tavrobel
03-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Knife sometimes hits multiple targets.*

*Sometimes meaning hella often, and multiple targets means attacks all, at least more than once.

rubah
03-10-2007, 12:04 AM
I said beat him, not get AP. -_-

1) You are most definitely in need of AP desperately if you can't beat Don Tonberry. :rolleyes2

A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, grasshopper.

Tavrobel
03-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Actually, it starts with a ticket to the airport.

utelektr
03-10-2007, 01:13 AM
No, it starts with the will to move your foot.

cally777
03-13-2007, 10:20 AM
It seems like whenever someone says "I can't beat so-and-so" someone else posts with "Why don't you raise your stats to some-ridiculously-high-figure" Try a bit of strategy. You don't need 200+ or even 100+ stats to beat the Don (though it will take time without them and bdl). When he approaches use someone mostly harmless like Yuna to attack him with Holy or just don't attack. Then use Auron with protect and sentinel to defend against his butcher knife. If he has any reasonable defence, say 50 and about 6-7000 hp (customise some armour if you must) he will survive. Again anyone with decent str can inflict 9999 dmg per hit. Cure, attack, sentinel, rinse and repeat. If he can't kill you, you will kill him, eventually.

By the way I'm not suggesting don't level up, just don't over do it!

:choc::choc:

The Mog Ninja
03-13-2007, 10:27 AM
OR just own him with level-ups

Firo Volondé
03-13-2007, 01:22 PM
It seems like whenever someone says "I can't beat so-and-so" someone else posts with "Why don't you raise your stats to some-ridiculously-high-figure" Try a bit of strategy. You don't need 200+ or even 100+ stats to beat the Don (though it will take time without them and bdl). When he approaches use someone mostly harmless like Yuna to attack him with Holy or just don't attack. Then use Auron with protect and sentinel to defend against his butcher knife. If he has any reasonable defence, say 50 and about 6-7000 hp (customise some armour if you must) he will survive. Again anyone with decent str can inflict 9999 dmg per hit. Cure, attack, sentinel, rinse and repeat. If he can't kill you, you will kill him, eventually.

By the way I'm not suggesting don't level up, just don't over do it!

That's not a bad strategy, except:

*Sometimes meaning hella often, and multiple targets means attacks all, at least more than once.

So overlevelling is the way to go. Even if you have insanely high stats, you can still get a challenge from some fiends *coughNemesiscough*.

utelektr
03-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Heh... Well I beat him, although with Aeon help. Voodoo can only hit one at a time... =) Now, to get the Sun Sigil... >_< Ugh.

lordbolton
03-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Okay you'll wana get auto-pheonix. Easiest way you can get this by battleing ghosts in moster arena from 'sunken cave' and bribing them with exactly 199,980 gil which will get you anywhere from 25-45 mega pheonixs. Then simply custmize an armor with 20 of them to get Auto-Pheonix! Yes it's that easy! After that just buy 99 Pheonix-Downs to automaticaly use and wah-lah! You can like automaticaly beat Don. Note this is gunna cost a Bunch of Gil! But it worth it! Don drops Helter-Skelter (has slowstike, poisonstrike, darkstrike, and firestrike! (it's awsome!) youre gunna want to get auto on at least 2 characters so hopefully you'll get 40+ mega-pheonixs!

TM This is a custom stradegy by lordbolton. All rights reserved

Firo Volondé
03-31-2007, 02:00 AM
Just so you know, trying to claim rights to the "use auto-phoenix" method is like trying to claim rights to the Bible. Nobody can do it. Not to mention, knife hits more than one character. When, not if, he hits your entire party, it's game over. Also, all non-Celestial weapons (except those with Celestial abilities customised onto it) = crap.

lordbolton
03-31-2007, 02:20 AM
I don't think it hits all characters, I beat him this morning for fun and he only hit each character once.

4evarisha
03-31-2007, 05:36 AM
Auto-Pheonix and keep on hitting him he will be gone.

cally777
04-08-2007, 02:20 PM

That seems like an exaggeration to me. Unless there's some difference between the versions. Regardless, Sentinel plus Protect plus a decent defence should reduce the damage sufficiently except from multiple attacks on the same target.

But bring in all your aeons, use overdrives and the time taken to defeat said Don should reduce, along with the chance of getting multiple hits. No need as I said for insane levelling up, or vast amounts of gil spent on auto-phoenix for all.

remnant1
04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
auto life and 2 ppl with auoto pheonix lol thats works for anything(plus whailing on the damn thing till it dies works to)