PDA

View Full Version : FFX replay value

CloudySky
03-08-2007, 10:28 PM
It makes me so sad and even somewhat frustrated, that this game (FFX) has 0 replay value for me.
I played all FFs up to Xth several times. I consider me die hard fan of series, simply because with years I replay FFs and I immediately compare all other games with FF and no other game comes even close to FF. :mog:
Needless to say I've played FF7, FF8 countless times, these 2 are the best, still plays great even today. I wasn't very pleased with FF9, still I played it 3 times already.
I absolutely adore FFX. Unlike many of fans I have no complains about story, characters, etc. The only bad thing about FFX, I can't replay it, I tried...
You see in my best FFX save I have all chars maxed (except luck skill around 150-170 for all chars, just imagine how long it took :p), penance and dark eons killed, all super monsters from arena waisted countless times, but... I don't have Cabaldog. :rolleyes2
Well I have it but I don't have sigil. After 30 hours of trying to win that stupid race (back in 2002) I finally understood I can't do it, just can't. Nor I ever would try to do lightning dodging minigame again or butterfly one too. Because that wasn't fun, that was disaster.
So I have a great game which I can't play. When I reach thunder plains, I feel the pain at once, but when I reach Calm Lands I just take the DVD from console and it's the end of game for me.
So I played FFX-2 about 5 times (saves+ I mean) but FFX only once. :cry:
If you don't cry when reading this sentence you have heart of stone.

So do you replay FFX?

Tavrobel
03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
*counts his many, multiple save files*

No, of course not.

So I played FFX-2 about 5 times (saves+ I mean) but FFX only once. :cry:
If you don't cry when reading this sentence you have heart of stone.

I'd cry, but only because you subjected yourself to meaningless torture playing FFX-2. Otherwise, I would continue on and insult your intelligence. It's just this thing I do, like yelling at rubah, or telling Psychotic that he is worthless.

Pete for President
03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I played through it 3 times, the second being a collection/stat maxing one.

Once in a while when I don't have a new game to play, I just feel like I want to re-enjoy the (imo great) story again, so I pop it in. Then after a little while I feel like I'm completely wasting my time, but I manage to push through none the less. And then, from the point in Macalania Temple, I get sucked in the story again and I feel like it's all worth it.

So yeah, I do replay FFX :choc:

Psychotic
03-08-2007, 10:47 PM
It's just this thing I do, like yelling at rubah, or telling Psychotic that he is worthless.LOL YOU FUNNY MAN TAV'BEL!

I've replayed it once, and that was just before FFX-2 came out so I was fully up-to-speed on the story. I loaded up my previous saved go before taking on the final dungeon, though, because my characters were much more powerful and had their ultimate weapons, and I was too lazy to go through all that again.

Skyblade
03-08-2007, 11:37 PM
A New Game+ feature would help alot. Keep all weapons/items, and keep any Sphere Grid customizations (people are back to their starting points, but any changes that you made with clear/stat spheres stay). That way you can play through the game without having to do any of the really annoying sidequests.

Renmiri
03-09-2007, 01:34 AM
Don't give up, my friend just got the Chocobo Race and the Thunder dodging after 5 years trying.

Besides, there's always Blitzball!!! :D

ReloadPsi
03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Five years to do the Chocobo race? I've done that in a single day on each of my plays through the game (I've played through it twice). This time though, I literally needed to dismantle and repair my L1 button.

Thunder Plains is just damned annoying. I swear I dodged about 220 bolts in a row, then it decided to allege that I only dodge 185. (Stupid lightning rod towers.)

Yes, I think this game DOES have replay value, but only if you have a laptop with internet access, or several books to read during the hellishly long and poorly acted cutscenes that can't be skipped (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=102136) and are full of awkward pauses because of the difference in Japanese and English sentence length. Come on, the game isn't Aliens 2: It doesn't have infinite WATCHability.

CloudySky
03-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Five years to do the Chocobo race? I've done that in a single day on each of my plays through the game (I've played through it twice).

I admit you have all rights to brag about it if it's true, but too much is too much. If you can do it in 1 day it doesn't mean everybody can.
I for one can't, I know a lot of people who can't and only a few who can. So, I fail to see how you beating it makes it doable for all others.

I'm not surprised about 5 years part though, but I'm not that kind of person. I play for fun, if something frustrates me too much, I don't play it, simple as that ;)

Yes, I think this game DOES have replay value, but only if you have a laptop with internet access, or several books to read during the hellishly long and poorly acted cutscenes that can't be skipped (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=102136) and are full of awkward pauses because of the difference in Japanese and English sentence length. Come on, the game isn't Aliens 2: It doesn't have infinite WATCHability.

Cutscenes are great, if you call them poor, I would like to see what's not poor. And it has infinite "wathcability" IMHO :p

Renmiri
03-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm not surprised about 5 years part though, but I'm not that kind of person. I play for fun, if something frustrates me too much, I don't play it, simple as that ;)

Cutscenes are great, if you call them poor, I would like to see what's not poor. And it has infinite "wathcability" IMHO :p

Well it is a friend who is an FFX fanatic so she played it for 5 years to watch the scenes again, not to do the race. We are both fanatics :D We even do a FFX based Role Play!

ReloadPsi
03-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Well it is a friend who is an FFX fanatic so she played it for 5 years to watch the scenes again, not to do the race. We are both fanatics :D We even do a FFX based Role Play!
Online or tabletop?

Renmiri
03-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Online or tabletop?
Online. We call it "Sin's Dawn" since it takes place right after the Bevelle / Zanarkand war ends and Sin is "born".

Setzer Gabianni
03-15-2007, 05:39 PM
I tried to play it for the second time..but lost interest. Same with X-2.

KasaiDraco
03-15-2007, 08:58 PM
I've played this game countless times.

No.78
03-16-2007, 12:02 AM
I've replayed it because.

1. I deleted a file by mistake
2. I totally messed up a file by sucking too much, and wanted to start afresh
3. Because I wanted to replay the story again
4. Because there was stuff I missed out
5. To find out stuff
6. etc
7. ?
8 WHAT

Shiva_
03-19-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm fixing to begin an NSG (No Sphere Grid) challenge. It sounds challenging and a lot of fun based on few of the videos I've seen of it.

Markus. D
03-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm fixing to begin an NSG (No Sphere Grid) challenge. It sounds challenging and a lot of fun based on few of the videos I've seen of it.

ooooh. My friend recently finished the possible trials of that.

he had MANY MANY MANY Sphere Points.

and he absolutely Plowed through post Gaga Seymour.

CloudySky
03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Just wondering, do you get celestial weapons while playing that way? And do you let summons fight all your harder battles or still fight with party?

Shiva_
03-19-2007, 04:38 PM
ooooh. My friend recently finished the possible trials of that.

he had MANY MANY MANY Sphere Points.

and he absolutely Plowed through post Gaga Seymour.

I started the NSG challenge last night, and I just got to the Mi'hen Highroad agency. So far, it hasn't been too bad, and I haven't had any Game Overs yet. Right before getting to the highroad agency, though, I came real close to one when I faced two bombs and a horned creature. Auron was only one alive at his HP in the yellow. Those horned creatures can hit hard, esp. with Gore. You can blind them, but Wakka had no MP left to do so, and I was out of Ethers. I ran out of Phoenix Downs as well because I had to keep reviving KO'ed members.

I read that there is a hellish battle coming up not much later, though. This battle isn't too long before Rikku joins.

Just wondering, do you get celestial weapons while playing that way? And do you let summons fight all your harder battles or still fight with party?

People do use celestial weapons, mainly for the arena monsters.

Aeons are sometimes used, too. But in some battles, I was told that you occasionally use them to tank some of the powerful attacks from the tougher enemies so your characters won't be inflicted by them. There is one battle where this is commonly done, and it is to prevent your party from being ambushed with its ultimate attack at the beginning of the battle. First Strike ability is necessary for this.

As I had mentioned above, not long from the point I'm at now in my NSG challenge, there's a hellish battle coming up (for an NSG challenge) from what I've read. In this one, your Aeons can help you. Rikku joins not much longer after it.

Tabris
03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
I'm Renmiri's FF-fanatic friend who finally managed the lightning bolts and chocobo race. :D

Five years was a bit long, though. I'm now om my third playthrough since I bought the game some three-four years ago, and for the first time I managed those minigames (I haven't really tried the lightning bolts before, it seemed undoable).

To me, this game has the most replay value of all my games (except, perhaps, Sims 2 :D). My third playthrough, yes, but not my last.

Jessweeee♪
03-30-2007, 04:04 AM
So do you replay FFX?

HECK YEAH!!! I'm almost done with run #14!
The one thing that DOES bother me, is that you can't skip the cutscenes. I LOVE the story to death, but the cutscenes are just not as special, and the more I see them, the more I hear the flaws in the voice acting. (Things such as talking when the lips aren't moving, or vice versa, and speaking too fast in order to match the lips better)

Sophie Peithos
03-30-2007, 04:34 AM
JRPGs inherently have no real replay value as most of them play out the exact same way each time you play them. There are usually a few missable items and a couple of plot points that become clearer through subsequent playings but that’s about it. Almost all FF games follow this trend, with the notable exception of FFX-2.

That being said, FFX has slightly more replay value than the other mainline titles in the series, as compilation spheres mean that subsequent play through will allow you to understand what the Al Bhed as saying from the beginning.

GrimReaper82
04-09-2007, 05:31 AM
I was about to beat sin and the final boss, but I still had some minigames and stuff to do, so i haven't beat it yet. But I also missed something in the game, the 1st al bhed primer, so I needed to start all over again but when I went to save, I overwrote my previous file on my memory card. I wasn't pissed though because it was a good game that was worth playing again. but then I was pissed cuz I just beat the butterfly mini game and the chocobo one >_<

Simen
04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I think I've played FFX around 4 times. Of course I can replay it, it's a great game!

Yliette
04-19-2007, 09:26 PM
I've played the NA version twice so I'd consider my first game of the International version the third time for me.

I was already at the Clam Lands before you enter Mt. Gagazet until my boyfriend borrowed my memory card. He took over my file, maxed out the Sphere Grid, acquired all Celestial weapons and basically completed every sidequest available.

Then I suddenly lost interest... :cry: