PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I execute this installation?!

Peter_20
03-09-2007, 05:40 PM
This DirectX crap is driving me insane!
I mean, I actually managed to find a link that you could save on a disc and install it later, but now I've got new problems, of course. :rolleyes2
This is how things have progressed:

1. I save a redist of DirectX onto a CD-R, and move it over to my own computer.
2. I extract it, or at least I think I do, and LOTS of folders with names such as "JUN2005_directx" or something come up.
3. One of them actually has a computer icon, and is called DXSETUP.
4. I click it. It starts downloading. Yay!
5. It STOPS downloading, because "it couldn't find a necessary file for installation".
6. I try putting the emulator and all the ROM:s on the computer, because they might be the "necessary files".
They are not.

Simple question:
what the hell is this "necessary file" thingy, anyway?
A Plug-In?
Some weird program?
HELP!

Mirage
03-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Your emulator or ROMs are definitely not required files for DirectX. Also, it makes a difference where on your computer files are stored.

Peter_20
03-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Your emulator or ROMs are definitely not required files for DirectX. Also, it makes a difference where on your computer files are stored.The game files are stored on the desktop, and the DirectX files are stored on C:/, I think.

Well, what do I have to download in order to make it work?

Mirage
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
What version of DirectX is this, and what OS are you using?

Peter_20
03-09-2007, 05:51 PM
What version of DirectX is this, and what OS are you using?I think it is DirectX 8.0, and I'm trying to make it work on a Windows 98.

Mirage
03-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Are you sure you actually extracted them, and not just ran the file from your "compressed file manager" (i.e. Winzip or Winrar.)?
Make sure you start the installation file from a folder on your hard disk. I don't think I can help you more than that, except by telling you to get Windows XP :p.

Odaisé Gaelach
03-11-2007, 04:14 AM
Did DirectX state what file was missing?

Peter_20
03-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Did DirectX state what file was missing?No, it didn't. :(