PDA

View Full Version : Get few things off my Chest..

Formalhaut
03-09-2007, 07:24 PM
1) Why arn't there any child main playable characters? Children can fight too! I mean 7-12 year olds, not teenagers 13-19 (Looks at Larsa from XII):love:

2) is it me, or are all the heros mostly teenagers? I mean, in todays socity most teenagers won't be Challangeing an empire or liberating an nation now?:rolleyes2

Setzer Gabianni
03-09-2007, 07:41 PM
...We've seen what..2 characters so far? Don't jump ahead already. Kinda silly.

As for point two..well..ermm..good point actually. Damn those pesky 17 year olds.

Oh wait, now I get it - can you really see a child take care of massive troublesome situations all on their own? Nu.

Bahamut2000X
03-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah but look at who plays these games. Now a days Square is more about selling then producing quality, hence making the characters more relate-able to their target audience.

Also not to mention if they didn't make half the party scantily clad female teenagers, the game obviously won't sell at all. [/sarcasm]

Though I will agree that I miss the days of unique characters such as Palom and Parom, Tellah, and Steiner.

Hazzard
03-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Palom and Parom were cute, they should create a new character for it who is like 14. He can be some genius-that would be cool!

No.78
03-09-2007, 08:37 PM
FF has had enough children characters. eg, Eiko Carol, Palom, Parom, Larse etc

Roto13
03-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Relm, Gau, Krile or Cara or whatever, plus Tidus who had the mind of a child.

Eiko Guy
03-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Cheap tidus joke!!! you lose the privalege to have hands.
anyway I know what you are saying. Peppita makes me happy. More so than fayt for sure...sadly. She's my crack addiction as of now. She's soo cute and adorable.

Laddy
03-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Actually, about 60% of FF Characters were minors. I'm sick of kids, I don't have anything against them, but I want a MATURE ADULT character.

Renmiri
03-10-2007, 02:45 PM
FF should take a page off Zelda: Having child Link time travel to be Adult Link :D

So we wouldn't have to play Goofy infested KH to play with kid Tidus :D

Remon
03-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Don't you guys like to have a kid like Vivi in FF games? :(

farplaner
03-10-2007, 07:01 PM

I liked Vivi, but he's an exception. Characters like Eiko, Yuffie, Rikku, etc. get on my nerves.

"Hey! I'm talking and I have way too much energy! My brain is made of sunshine and cocaine!!"

One of my favorite characters of any FF (that I'm familiar with) is Auron. I would like to see more characters like him and Basch. Fran is also cool. They're not all keyed up and whiney.

But what're'ya gonna' do? We all keep getting older while the characters stay the same age. Pretty soon I'll be griping in forums while examining my pension checks.

Hazzard
03-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Well I'm fairly young and my best character from any game will always be Auron, that's why i love FFX so much; solely because of that one man: 'Auron'.

Young kids might start to give me a headache and personally i like the characters sophisticated and mature-not bratty and immature, like Yuffie and that Rikku hoe.

Formalhaut
03-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I mean mature kids not them spoiled brat type ones. Maybe one who is like a genius or a ... YOU know!:choc2:

...We've seen what..2 characters so far? Don't jump ahead already. Kinda silly.

As for point two..well..ermm..good point actually. Damn those pesky 17 year olds.

Oh wait, now I get it - can you really see a child take care of massive troublesome situations all on their own? Nu.

Who said on thier own? I mean they join the party since for example his mother died at the hands of the empire and wants revenge...
And the child would be smart and be able to attack foes. Jeez. Give a 12 year old boy a break.

Please use the edit button in the lower right corner of your post instead of posting twice in a row. thx ~Levian

Fynn
03-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Well, what about that kid with the cards from Agito XIII? He looks... like what... 12?

Hazzard
03-10-2007, 08:42 PM
there's plenty of kids in previous FF'S, and they are mostly incorporated into the party. Gau from FF6 is a 13 year old child, and there are many others who are kids.

Formalhaut
03-11-2007, 01:51 AM
*Sigh* I mean a playable character not a NPC. Jeez

Ashley Schovitz
03-11-2007, 03:06 AM

Vivi was an adult considering the life span of his tribe, he aged slightly slower than all the others, but he reached his peaked maturity at a little over a year old and Rydia was alos a child,but it would be obscure to have the child as lead or main. Most FFs didn't have 17 years old leading anyway Cloud wasn't Cecil, V,IV,I don't know about III, and then there's two II and the original. It's just been 17 ever since VIII. I guess Square believes 17 to be the supreme age or something.

Eiko Guy
03-13-2007, 09:23 PM
I love when the kids take the tension off. Not the overly smart kids. The ones that keep it simple.

"So we have to fight because (cheap personal reason)"

"(kiddy character) you are right we don't have to fight"

Thats what i like my kiddy characters to do.
I hated auron. I like my characters to be young and spirited. Not old and broken.

Hazzard
03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Auron isn't old and broken. He's a respectable loyal man who's been through rough times and conquered through it, he even doesn't conceal to death and let rest. But strives to protect young kids like 'That hoe Rikku and that unwise kid Tidus'. Only Yuna was the decent young kid, who actually was important.

So before you call someone like Auron broken, please consider adding reasons and backup-cause i know for a fact that Auron does not deserve to get mocked after how great he is as a Final Fantasy Character.

But that's your opinion...

TheBanzaiKitten
03-14-2007, 01:05 AM
We could use a young character but hopefully not giddy and annoying (Yuffie, Eiko, Rikku).

We are starting to loose more unique characters...

FFVII - Quite a few. Cait Sith, Red XIII, Barret, Vincent
FFVIII- Aside from personality, none were extremely unique when compared to others. They were all Humans!!!
FFIX- Practically every character except maybe Dagger and/or Steiner
FFX- Here's where we start to loose them - Lulu, Kimarhi, Wakka
FFXII- Fran, the only one really. Everyone has blonde hair (except maybe Baltheir), everyone is human (except Fran) plus no real character development doesn't help either.

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2007, 08:38 AM
We could use a young character but hopefully not giddy and annoying (Yuffie, Eiko, Rikku).

We are starting to loose more unique characters...

FFVII - Quite a few. Cait Sith, Red XIII, Barret, Vincent
FFVIII- Aside from personality, none were extremely unique when compared to others. They were all Humans!!!
FFIX- Practically every character except maybe Dagger and/or Steiner
FFX- Here's where we start to loose them - Lulu, Kimarhi, Wakka
FFXII- Fran, the only one really. Everyone has blonde hair (except maybe Baltheir), everyone is human (except Fran) plus no real character development doesn't help either.

Read this for character development for FFXII http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=2110033&postcount=64
I think they were pretty unique honestly. As well as many character you failed to mention from previous FF's. Like Auron, Quistis, Squall, Laguna and a few others.

I liked Vivi, but he's an exception. Characters like Eiko, Yuffie, Rikku, etc. get on my nerves.

"Hey! I'm talking and I have way too much energy! My brain is made of sunshine and cocaine!!"

One of my favorite characters of any FF (that I'm familiar with) is Auron. I would like to see more characters like him and Basch. Fran is also cool. They're not all keyed up and whiney.

But what're'ya gonna' do? We all keep getting older while the characters stay the same age. Pretty soon I'll be griping in forums while examining my pension checks.

Your post made me laugh:) But it's true. Older fans have issues with younger casts of characters. I'm an older fan and it's difficult to relate to characters like Tidus or Penelo. I tend to like older characters like Auron, Basch, Cecil, Setzer and Balthier(I can't believe I'm actually older than him though...:( )

A kid party is not too out there though. I honestly feel that the cast of the first three Digimon series are incredibly well written and I find there stories to be gripping as well.

FF should take a page off Zelda: Having child Link time travel to be Adult Link :D

So we wouldn't have to play Goofy infested KH to play with kid Tidus :D

Technically, they did it first with FFIV's Rydia. She joins you when she's like 8 years old and then due to unforseen circumstances, you lose her for awhile. Later she rejoins you and once again due to an odd plot twist, she is 16 years old and a lot more useful... Technically she's not an adult but still...

Also, I like Goofy...

farplaner
03-14-2007, 02:57 PM
I love when the kids take the tension off. Not the overly smart kids. The ones that keep it simple.

"So we have to fight because (cheap personal reason)"

"(kiddy character) you are right we don't have to fight"

Thats what i like my kiddy characters to do.
I hated auron. I like my characters to be young and spirited. Not old and broken.

I don't want to get too serious about discussing a characters in a game (whoops, failed), but yeah, Auron was anything but broken...well, actually, he may have been broken, but understandably so. Still, he basically carries the party through their journey. He's "been there, done that;" he knows what to expect, and he sees past all of the trivial facades of politics, morality, behavior, etc.

Personally, I just can't understand an existence that doesn't involve any sort of self-examination, and an attempt to understand what's really going on around us.

Your post made me laugh But it's true. Older fans have issues with younger casts of characters. I'm an older fan and it's difficult to relate to characters like Tidus or Penelo. I tend to like older characters like Auron, Basch, Cecil, Setzer and Balthier(I can't believe I'm actually older than him though... )

;) sometimes it's hard not to wonder if there are holes in my pockets: "Where the hell did that time go!?"

Hazzard
03-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Auron is by far the best character in the whole of FF, in my opinion!!!

For me, i can relate to old and younger characters but tend to be more swayed by the mature and much wiser characters. Young characters are becoming so stereotypical and making them peppy and in your face. They lack wits and always need to be guided and have a sense of direction-they can never stand on their own two feet.
Weirdly so, that's the reason why i don't really mind characters like Squall from FF and he's one year older than Tidus if I'm correct or is Tidus older...? But Squall is just so realistic and goes through stuff that most of us do-he hasn't got no real supernatural background and is just a miserable kid who grows to love and be more upbeat.
Someone like Tidus on the other hand, is obnoxious and quite thick. He takes time to catch onto things and always needs someone with him. He only gets more important at the stage when it's the last battle and that's when he actually gains my respect for some unknown reason.

But anyway, i wouldn't mind more younger characters-although i would appreciate it if they were a little more serious and smarter.

ANOTHER ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR AURON!!! (DA TRUE KATANA MASTER)

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2007, 08:29 PM
To be honest, I would prefer haing a party of older characters for once. No one younger than 21. It would be interesting to see a more mature and worldly main character (and cast for that matter) try to save the world, especially since they would lack the idealistic concept of good and evil that perpetuates in younger lead characters.

The story is more intriguing when the lead doesn't always do the right thing or has more selfish reasons for doing what they want. That's why characters like Cloud, Squall and Ashe are so popular. Cloud's not really trying to save the world, he's just obsessed with getting revenge against Sephiroth, Squall was raised to take orders. He doesn't carry around some notion that he's doing everything cause it's the "right thing to do", and Lady Ashe struggles with using the nethicite to get personal revenge against the Archadian Empire.

I'm tired of seeing stories about young idealist who go into the real world, lose their innocence, and come to some understanding of what is truly important.

Garnie
03-14-2007, 08:52 PM
i guess its because they got school. ur average hero wouldnt be able to do much if hes grounded

Fynn
03-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Auron is by far the best character in the whole of FF, in my opinion!!!

For me, i can relate to old and younger characters but tend to be more swayed by the mature and much wiser characters. Young characters are becoming so stereotypical and making them peppy and in your face. They lack wits and always need to be guided and have a sense of direction-they can never stand on their own two feet.
Weirdly so, that's the reason why i don't really mind characters like Squall from FF and he's one year older than Tidus if I'm correct or is Tidus older...? But Squall is just so realistic and goes through stuff that most of us do-he hasn't got no real supernatural background and is just a miserable kid who grows to love and be more upbeat.
Someone like Tidus on the other hand, is obnoxious and quite thick. He takes time to catch onto things and always needs someone with him. He only gets more important at the stage when it's the last battle and that's when he actually gains my respect for some unknown reason.

But anyway, i wouldn't mind more younger characters-although i would appreciate it if they were a little more serious and smarter.

ANOTHER ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR AURON!!! (DA TRUE KATANA MASTER)

Well, not all kids are that stereotipical... Look at Larsa - he's twelve but he's so smart and serious about what he does. Don't go telling me he's an NPC because he does join your party for a while. I think XII had the most unique characters in the entire series. I wouldn't worry, were I you - I'm sure SE will be getting even more original ideas (how about an 8-year-old genius with schizofrenia?).

Hazzard
03-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I am aware that Larsa is a very articulate child, and has great knowledge.
But i wasn't exactly talking about characters like him-i was referring to characters of previous FF's before XII.

Fynn
03-18-2007, 11:04 PM
My point - SE is getting more ideas on how a kid character can be pictured.

Dr. Acula
04-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Well, not all kids are that stereotipical... Look at Larsa - he's twelve but he's so smart and serious about what he does. Don't go telling me he's an NPC because he does join your party for a while. I think XII had the most unique characters in the entire series. I wouldn't worry, were I you - I'm sure SE will be getting even more original ideas (how about an 8-year-old genius with schizofrenia?).

I must admit, that genius with schizophrenia idea is pretty awesome.:p

Roto13
04-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Aren't most Final Fantasy characters kids?

Hazzard
04-04-2007, 07:16 PM

No, more like teenagers. Rarely Adults, and mainly teens and young males/females.

Roto13
04-04-2007, 07:39 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of the word "kid."

Vertisce
04-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I can see it now...Final Fantasy 15. The opening scene is our hero rolling in with his wheelchair. 85 years old going on a crusade to save the world with his trusty upgradeable wheelchair magic rocket mounts! Characters are characters. I play to enjoy the stories. Yes it is sometimes annoying to have some whiny punk for the main hero but...you know I really have no idea where im going with this. 17 is old enough for me for a hero and im 25.

Wolf Kanno
04-04-2007, 08:29 PM
That was a pretty funny post Vertisce:D

I think my only issue is that the games (lately) seem to follow the trend of "coming of age story". Hell even FFXII is guilty of it though not as bad as FFVIII and FFX. Now generally this wouldn't be a real problem. It's not like "coming of age" stories are bad. It's just that when you look at the JRPG genre as a whole, almost 98% are these types of stories. I could grab any Aetlier Iris, Tales game, or some other off shoot JRPG and do a breakdown of the formula and easily compare it to the formula used in the recent FF's. What I'm asking for is a change.

I don't need the tale of some 17 year growing up into manhood or some 18 year old girl who discovers through her travels what is "really important". The FF series needs to take a break and at least use their characters in a different human drama, even 17 year olds can reach a level of understood maturity and don't need some "epic story to show them the way to adulthood". As I stated in my previous post. I would like established characters who have ideological battles with each other. Let's just start in the moral grey ground.

I guess age really doesn't matter I just don't want any more "coming of age" stories cause writers seems to be absent of imagination lately.

Hazzard
04-04-2007, 08:36 PM
HOO-RAHH...Wolf Kanno's back and he ain't taking prisoners!!!

Laddy
04-08-2007, 06:24 AM
HOO-RAHH...Wolf Kanno's back and he ain't taking prisoners!!!Seconded, my friend.

I imagine a point where RPG character are well, enique. It usually has this:

-Immature spikey-haired pretty boy with the intelligence of a goat.(Tidus, Zidane.)

-Shy girl that eventually, by the help of the protaginist, becomes more outgoing and assertive.(Dagger, Yuna)

-Some moody stand-in-the-corner type. (Auron, Amarant, Basch)

-Some happy nice guy. (Wakka, Balthier)

-Hyper girl (Selphie, Rikku)

-Some personality lacking character.

Really, I once brainstromed on an RPG, where the protaginist is twenty-six, he's smart, intelligent, brave, stable, mature, and has an actual job: Teaching. His quest is to meet other characters, (Another teacher who's world-renowned, an old smaurai, a would-be actress, a rich tycoon, and a arrogant know-it-all elf.) To discover the meaning of faith and love. I like this concept because it's fresh, and I am deeply considering making this a reality.

farplaner
04-08-2007, 07:59 AM

:lol:

Hazzard
04-08-2007, 01:46 PM
RedXIII13...Basch and Auron are no where near moody, they're just mature and been through the hardships before. basch isn't moody at all, and Auron just speaks deeply and concentrates on the mission at hand.

Honest Abel
04-08-2007, 02:03 PM
1) Why arn't there any child main playable characters? Children can fight too!I would not buy a game that featured kids as the main characters. Too annoying, especially if they have voice actors.

Laddy
04-08-2007, 04:52 PM
RedXIII13...Basch and Auron are no where near moody, they're just mature and been through the hardships before. basch isn't moody at all, and Auron just speaks deeply and concentrates on the mission at hand.I knew "moody" wasn't a good word! How about dark? Or badass? I don't like dark or "badass" characters simply because they, erm, lack emotion.

Hazzard
04-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey, i think i caught you out again. The emotion driven from the 'badass' characters are always strong and passionate. Those are the characters who you can really sympathize with, and they really start to grow on you; making you more eager to see what's happening with them in the story, and striving to see more cinematic scenes with them involved. (By the way, I'm obviously talking about Auron, and I don't know about the rest)...

Vyk
04-08-2007, 05:34 PM
So its not technically about age, its about maturity. I'd have to agree with both. Genius and level-headed twelve year olds is a little too unrealistic for me. That's right. Calling magicaly monsterous and damaging creatures out of thin air is more believable than a pre-teen who can understand politics

That might be why I liked 7 so much. Previous FFs did have mature characters, but they were sprites, they always looked like kids. Everything was "mature" about 7, the characters, the story, the mood, the look. I too am 25, but I'm getting tired of the stereotype coming of age crap too. Playing as kids gets old. Which is why I quit XII I think. Too much time as Vaan. I can't imagine a kid having the mental discipline and maturity to handle all this traveling and saving the world. If they're going to have kids they need to be selfish and disassociated and stuff. JRPGs are trying to have their cake and eat it too

Laddy
04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I disagree, when I was twelve and I absolutely adored politics head to toe. I was in the debate club, and I got bored because how light the debates were. Yes, I do find a mature and intelligent child to be acceptable.

Hazzard
04-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Example--Larsa. Verdict--Fantastic character, who was believably articulate and intelligent.

But I agree with some of your words, Vyk. I think we definitely need a few more down to earth characters, and I do feel slightly saddened with the lack of character detail and background in the cast of XII. I know for a fact, if I knew more facts about Basch and got to share some sort of emotional attachment, I would of began to reckon he might even be able to par with Auron.

But anyway, we need a good contrast of characters i think. Even if a character is annoying, they can still be considered a fairly good character to some extent, and BTW--If i was someone like Tidus at his age group. You really think I would sign up to be some girl's guardian and fight some fat ugly whale like Sin? Hell no!

So yeah, I do agree with you on some terms. I like your characters RedXIII, they seem interesting. By the way, VII does have a very mature cast, especially someone like RedXIII, who leaves and breathes knowledge.

Wolf Kanno
04-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey, i think i caught you out again. The emotion driven from the 'badass' characters are always strong and passionate. Those are the characters who you can really sympathize with, and they really start to grow on you; making you more eager to see what's happening with them in the story, and striving to see more cinematic scenes with them involved. (By the way, I'm obviously talking about Auron, and I don't know about the rest)...

But the problem with the "moody" badass characters is that every JRPG has one, hell they have been a mainstay in the FF series since FFVI (Though FFIV and FFII have them as well). Shadow, Vincent (and to some extent Cloud), Squall, Amarant, Auron, and Basch (though he's debatable) on the surface they all seem the same and though they have majot differences, their stories are all very similiar just different circumstances. Most of them, at the core, they are driven by guilt.

So its not technically about age, its about maturity. I'd have to agree with both. Genius and level-headed twelve year olds is a little too unrealistic for me. That's right. Calling magicaly monsterous and damaging creatures out of thin air is more believable than a pre-teen who can understand politics

That might be why I liked 7 so much. Previous FFs did have mature characters, but they were sprites, they always looked like kids. Everything was "mature" about 7, the characters, the story, the mood, the look. I too am 25, but I'm getting tired of the stereotype coming of age crap too. Playing as kids gets old. Which is why I quit XII I think. Too much time as Vaan. I can't imagine a kid having the mental discipline and maturity to handle all this traveling and saving the world. If they're going to have kids they need to be selfish and disassociated and stuff. JRPGs are trying to have their cake and eat it too

Can't say the "popeye" arms count as "mature" ;)

But as Hazzard pointed out, it is possible to have a mature child character. But it only works if the world follows it logically. Larsa is believable cause Ivalice is similiar to medieval Europe. Children were treated as adults growing up so many (especially in royalty) are actually quite mature for their age in those times.

Hell the most mature FF story in the series stars two guys who are only 16 when it begins and that is FF Tactics. Stories don't get any grimer in the FF universe than Tactics...

Keep playing XII, Vaan quickly leaves the spotlight in the story and his "coming of age" is done more in the background (literally). The game focuses on Ashe who actually has a mature story... Yeah she's a bitch at times, but I can handle that better than goody two-shoe airheads like Yuna:rolleyes2

Example--Larsa. Verdict--Fantastic character, who was believably articulate and intelligent.

But I agree with some of your words, Vyk. I think we definitely need a few more down to earth characters, and I do feel slightly saddened with the lack of character detail and background in the cast of XII. I know for a fact, if I knew more facts about Basch and got to share some sort of emotional attachment, I would of began to reckon he might even be able to par with Auron.

But anyway, we need a good contrast of characters i think. Even if a character is annoying, they can still be considered a fairly good character to some extent, and BTW--If i was someone like Tidus at his age group. You really think I would sign up to be some girl's guardian and fight some fat ugly whale like Sin? Hell no!

So yeah, I do agree with you on some terms. I like your characters RedXIII, they seem interesting. By the way, VII does have a very mature cast, especially someone like RedXIII, who leaves and breathes knowledge.

Honestly, I would argue you get as much character background in XII as you do in X. The differences is that X focuses on it cause all the characters have some kind of emotional hang up. XII's story is "plot" orientated so the personal issues the party has, only comes up when they are directly dealing with the issues, instead of listening to them go on and on about their problems, while the player prays they finally get to the point of resolution so they will stop complaining...

I guess what we really have here is a debate on the role archtypes (or stereotypes) should play in future FF's and JRPG's in general.

Avarice-ness
04-17-2007, 07:23 AM
I liked it better when the charas were in their 20's and up with a couple of random kids in between.

I think that's one reason there are less kids, because the age range is already in the teens. If you look at the final fantasy's that did have kid charas, most the main charas were 20 or up. Plus, most people believe that if the game is in a general age range of the players, that the players will like it better. I think FFVII was the last one with the charas around their 20's if not already in them. Like in FFVII the "young" one was Yuffie, who was like what 16?

In newer games the main charas 16, and they prolly wouldn't want the game based around kids who are between like.. 10 and 16.

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 09:06 AM
One thing we can all decide on, is that they're fond of having at least one experienced figure, who's sort of been through the hardships and all that jazz. They've featured in every FF I've played except for VIII. I'm talking about guys like: Barret, Cid, Bach, Auron, Cid (IV), Tellah, and I'm sure there's many others, but I think Square know that they can't ever create a game with a bunch of mindless youths. They need a authoritative figure, who has seen it all.

Comet
04-17-2007, 01:22 PM
One thing we can all decide on, is that they're fond of having at least one experienced figure, who's sort of been through the hardships and all that jazz. They've featured in every FF I've played except for VIII. I'm talking about guys like: Barret, Cid, Bach, Auron, Cid (IV), Tellah, and I'm sure there's many others, but I think Square know that they can't ever create a game with a bunch of mindless youths. They need a authoritative figure, who has seen it all.

FF8: Laguna, Kiros and Ward are experienced characters. In Squall's time they are at least 40 and you get to actually experience their past in Squall's dreams.

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I meant in the main party. Like fighting Ultimecia, but I guess they still count.

Mercen-X
04-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm sure there's many others.In the main party of VIII, I think either Squall or Quistis would be the most experienced. They're still all real young though.

In FX, there's Auron, in IX . . . Steiner is older, but I don't know if he's more experienced than Freya, Zidane, or Amarant.

Hazzard
04-17-2007, 04:27 PM
IX seems to posses a lot of experienced characters, considering that it's such a child friendly game.

Mercen-X
04-26-2007, 10:37 PM
1) Why aren't there any child main playable characters? Children can fight too!WTF kind of influence is that?
"Grab yerselfs some butcher knives children. I ain't a goin' anywhere near that burglar. You can take him, I have faith in ya. Bye."

2) is it me, or are all the heros mostly teenagers? I mean, in todays socity most teenagers won't be Challangeing an empire or liberating an nation now?Yeah teenagers won't, but apparently 7-12-year-olds will?

B-dup
05-18-2007, 06:58 AM
little kids saving the world, fighting scary monsters, having love problems and whatnot... sounds alot like blue dragon on 360, not interested in playin such a weak game!

Formalhaut
05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Ok, I have revised this now and the best game would have....

1. A mix of age groups. Put too many 26+ people and Young people will not like. Same if you put too many young.

2. Don't put too many Males or females or you could get a sexist game.

3. Make all the characters involed. If you have a game focus only on Vaan for example, fans of the other characters will complain.

Wild Card
05-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I agree with all this. Enough of this drama wit .
1. Cloud for example: "Sephiroth that S.O.B. you killed aerith" * slits*.
All the heroes in every ff is like... 15-17.
Like Firion was what? 15? That is way to unrealistis for a group of teens to pwn an empire, even for fantasy like, and then theres this drama with Leon and the main chars on ff2.
2. Squall. What can i say about him? Emo. Loner. Goodie Goodie. And Wtf's up with a gun Sword anyway? I mean like... It's Cool and all... But wtf?

They should have a main character, who sure, has a dark past, carries a sword, all the stereotypical stuff, But he's at LEAST 25 as someone said earlier, and MAYBE throw in a 16 yr old chick for some pedofilic humour. He needs to not be emo, too many so far, Tidus was on the verge of being emo, if he wasnt stupid as a post.

I give Squenix credit for thier amazing work, but... If its going to stay the same, the "Final" Final fantasy is going to come a lot sooner than you think. Each character on one series is almost exactly the same from the last.

Anyway, that was my blurl ;)

Enjolras
05-29-2007, 09:29 AM
In reality, no kid would have the intelligence, experience, physical ability, commitment, selflessness or intuition to save the world.

...But then again, the name of the game is Final Fantasy.

scrumpleberry
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
In reality, no kid would have the intelligence, experience, physical ability, commitment, selflessness or intuition to save the world.

...But then again, the name of the game is Final Fantasy.

Q. F. T.

Ender
05-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey all. I'm more concerned with the trend towards intersexual primary characters than about the ages. Squall is manly enough in his "portrait" shots I suppose, but his game model is very effeminate. Zidane looks like a 70s David Bowie--who tried to look like a girl as part of the Glam Rock fashion trend. Tidus could be the Gelfling girl Kira from the movie The Dark Crystal if he had longer hair. I'm convinced Vaan is a girl.

I can see why there might be some practical game-design reasons for this...a more effeminate main character might connect better with female players...*maybe.* But part of me wonders if there's a guy in the character design department whose final fantasy is about little (ie girly) boys with swords...:eek:

Anyway, I do prefer some older and/or experienced characters in the party. I like getting the "we're in this together" feeling from a party that is a more diverse representation of game world that just a party of kids--it makes it feel like there's more at stake to me. There's no reason a capable 30-50 year-old can't have as much interest in stopping the villain, or for that matter someone even older who has wisdom, experience, and "connections."

Hazzard
05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
I would love to see more; Galuf's, Auron's, Tellah's? (Just cause of his memorable phrase) Basch's, Barret's and Cid from VII. All those characters seem to add that infinite sense of wisdom and maturity to the party, and prefer to side from infactuation of the female sex. Also, why are there never any elderly or middle aged women in the party?

Dynast-Kid
05-30-2007, 05:10 PM
I would love to see more; Galuf's, Auron's, Tellah's? (Just cause of his memorable phrase) Basch's, Barret's and Cid from VII. All those characters seem to add that infinite sense of wisdom and maturity to the party, and prefer to side from infactuation of the female sex. Also, why are there never any elderly or middle aged women in the party?

FFXII had Fran, who by Hume standards would be considered elderly.

demondude
05-31-2007, 03:14 PM
I want another quina like character:)

Formalhaut
05-31-2007, 04:51 PM
:eep: Quina? EWWWWW!!!!!!!!

No more quina character ever!

demondude
05-31-2007, 06:49 PM
:eep: balthier? EWWWWW!!!!!!!!

No more balthier character ever!

don't worry i fixed it for ya:)

Anyway a quina character would be very cool like a talking chocobo that acts like quina

Formalhaut
06-01-2007, 02:40 AM

No more demondude55 character ever!

Anyway a demondude55 character would be very cool like a talking chocobo that acts like demondude55

:D

Laddy
06-01-2007, 04:10 AM
(Hey, Ender is back!)

Anyway, I really get sickened by teenage characters. It's not because they're teenagers as much as they always have ridicuously similair personalities. If they were more varied then it would be more acceptable to my standards. Cloud is an adult, and hey, everyone loves him. I don't think age is an issue. Still, I want an older, 20's character.

demondude
06-01-2007, 09:40 AM

No more demondude55 character ever!

Anyway a demondude55 character would be very cool like a talking chocobo that acts like demondude55

:D

That would be one cool chocobo

anywayi want there to ba a licence board/spheregrid learning system again as well

Laddy
06-18-2007, 01:06 AM
I don't I want a FFVII-like customazation system if we have one, otherwise, I want premade jobs.

atlanteay
06-18-2007, 04:29 AM
i want another Quina too!!! I miss the comic relief character T.T

VeloZer0
07-10-2007, 11:09 PM
That assumes you are one of the people that ever found Quina funny.

On the subject of ages. What gets me most of the young age demographic of the protagonist cast is that they are not very believable killers. In every game, let’s face it, you are in the business of killing people and monsters. The problem is, the majority of the younger characters personalities come across as far to young and innocent to be killing on a daily basis.

Another problem I have with this infatuation with youngins is the amount of combat experience they would have. I have a hard time reconciling the fact that a teen who just picked up a sword last week could cut through a room full of people who have been soldiers for most of their lives. I'm not exactly picky, if some magic crystal gives you 'the power' at the beginning of the game, that's good enough for me. Having been raised to be a warrior since a young age is also cool. However, I want a reason that a character is superior to the average combatant.