PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Metal Gear Challenge

Cruise Control
03-10-2007, 02:44 AM
Over the course of the last 6 months, I have amassed every Metal Gear game except Snake Tales (which sucked) and the VR missions. So, I decided to play all of them, in the order that the plot follows. Which is:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear: AC!D
Metal Gear: AC!D 2
Metal Gear Solid 2

But, that'd be boring. So I asked Roto for an idea.

bbomber72000 (3:33:31 PM): I need an MG challenge
bbomber72000 (3:33:37 PM): Something that I can do in all the games
rotothirteen (3:34:35 PM): Do it without using silenced weapons unless it's the only way to progress.So in short, I will not use silent methods to kill enemies. Knives, melee, choking, silenced weaponry. Sneaking, and explosives. This applies to EVERY game. A notable exception is MGS1. When you choke in MGS1, it makes a noise and you go into alert. So I can choke in MGS1.

All of this in normal mode, and I suck at easy. This'll be my challenge journal for all the games. Stay tuned for hilarious accounts of how much I suck.

nik0tine
03-10-2007, 02:54 AM
Watch out for suicide.

Tavrobel
03-10-2007, 02:58 AM
ULTIMATE

Cruise Control
03-10-2007, 05:31 AM
MGS3.
Roto decided, that if I'm not stealth killing, I can use the knife. So only when I'm in alert, or for hunting when there's no enemies (beings I only have so many cages.)

I've already killed 10 guys. I'm whoring the down loadable Grenade Camo. Infinite grenades. Also, the down loadable mummy camo, as it prevents bleeding. Died twice on my way to Sokolov. But then I got the shotgun. I was just ambushed by the boss (in Snake Eater, not Virtuous).

Roto13
03-10-2007, 05:37 AM
There should be a no camo magic rule, too. This challenge is pointless if you can just blow up anything that sees you.

Cruise Control
03-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Its not that easy. I've died twice already. I'm still trying to sneak. I only whip out the magic camos in confrontations.

EDIT: I've decided grenade camo can only be used in boss battles. Mummy however, anytime (its actually good in the mountain).

Maxico
03-10-2007, 12:24 PM
That's not the Ultimate Challenge.

"No guard interactment" would be the ultimate challenge. That is, the guards must go on their prescripted routine, without it being interupted in any way.

In Extreme. European Extreme.
With one hand.

Also the AC!D games aren't canon.

And you could like, arguably stick Snatcher onto the end of that, even if it does mess up continuity a little and is an adventure game. More people need to play that.

Dreddz
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
I dont see the point of any Metal Gear Challenge when European Extreme was so hard. I really doubt anyone was able to breeze through that.

Lost Number
03-10-2007, 02:27 PM
I dont see the point of any Metal Gear Challenge when European Extreme was so hard. I really doubt anyone was able to breeze through that.

Its not looking for a challenge because the game was HARD...its looking for a challenge to make the game HARDER. To take something already at the absolute tip of sadism and make it harder, sounds like fun to me.
Maxico, as soon as I have FFXII 100% i'll try that challenge.

And fail! Naturally.

edczxcvbnm
03-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Sounds like you are going to play the games the way I do normally :D I run and gun. Eventually you kill so many enemies that they stop coming...unless it is on hard or extreme :cool:

Roto13
03-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Cruise Control sucks too much to run and gun on normal mode.

Cruise Control
03-10-2007, 07:22 PM
I sucked too much to do it on Easy. Apparently you missed the posts where I accumulated 47 injuries in about 15 minutes. From running and gunning.

Dreddz
03-10-2007, 07:49 PM

Its not looking for a challenge because the game was HARD...its looking for a challenge to make the game HARDER. .

Yes, but why make a game even harder when the game is already hard. As I said, unless you breezed through European Extreme, theres no reason to make MGS even harder.

Roto13
03-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Except, you know, for the challenge.

Dreddz
03-10-2007, 08:43 PM

I KNOW THAT ! BUT WHY MAKE A GAME EVEN MORE CHALLENGING WHEN THE CORE GAME IS CHALLENGING ENOUGH !

Roto13
03-10-2007, 10:07 PM

I KNOW THAT ! BUT WHY MAKE A GAME EVEN MORE CHALLENGING WHEN THE CORE GAME IS CHALLENGING ENOUGH !
BECAUSE IT'S MORE FUN THAT WAY

What's not to understand here? It's the same reason European Extreme mode even exists. Adding your own limitations is the next step.

But Cruise Control can't even hope to beat European Extreme mode because he sucks. I'm talking about challenges like this in general.

Dreddz
03-10-2007, 10:27 PM
I never understood what fun could come from this, just me though. If I ever wanted to punish myself with a challenge, I'd just go back to my European Extreme file on MGS2.

Vamp = Impossible on European Extreme.

Cruise Control
03-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Thats why I've never liked you. Crawl back to Fool's Gold.

Psychotic
03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
I'd like to add an extra task for you, and it's up to you if you want to undertake it. Punch three guards in the butt (On MGS3, obviously, I don't think it's possible on the others). Just 'cause.

Anyway, you're on easy street as soon as you get a cobalt blue tarantula (or an emperor scorpion, but the spiders appear first).

...what about Snake's Revenge? :D

Cruise Control
03-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Nah. Punching complete, didn't get caught. No update today, since I'm playing my new D2 expansion.

Roto13
03-11-2007, 04:47 AM
[01:13] Cruise Control: I just rolled into an electric fence
[01:14] rotothirteen: It begins.
[01:14] Cruise Control: It began
[01:14] Cruise Control: Ocelot stamina was tough
[01:14] Cruise Control: WTF
[01:14] Cruise Control: THE GATE IS ELECTRIC TOO
[01:14] Cruise Control: WHO ELECTRIFIES A GATE
[01:14] rotothirteen: xD
[01:14] Cruise Control: HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO OPEN IT
[01:15] Cruise Control: ITS INCONVENIENT

Cruise Control
03-11-2007, 04:56 AM
Speaking of which, I defeated Ocelot and Pain with stamina kills.

The hardest part so far was near teh opening with like 10 electric fences (we go way back), and claymores. Which I picked up. I make heavy use of Claymores.

I haven't died since I got the SVD rifle. However, its about to run out of ammo. I tried to kill The End early, bu failed. Trying to get in that building where you talk to Granin.

EDIT: Met with Granin.

Lost Number
03-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Running and gunning can be absolute suicide on difficulties like Extreme, know why? Unless you have Cold War Camo and the Patriot, you'll get gunned down.
Fast.

Cruise Control
03-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Tips on stamina killing the fear? I dropped rotten food, and I'm stocking on Poison dart frogs. Eventually all teh food will be gone. But I don't wanna wait that long. Advice?

Roto13
03-11-2007, 06:51 PM
[15:19] Cruise Control: HOLY :skull::skull::skull::skull:
[15:19] Cruise Control: I'VE BEEN HIT WITH A FLAMING ARROW
[15:19] Cruise Control: IM BUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRNING
[15:20] Cruise Control: NOW THE GRASS IS ON FIRE!
[15:20] Cruise Control: :skull::skull::skull::skull:
[15:21] Cruise Control: I ate a poison frog
[15:21] Cruise Control: xD
[15:22] Cruise Control: fUCKING SNARE TRAP
[15:22] Cruise Control: ANOTHER FLAMING ARROW
[15:22] Cruise Control: WHILE IM HANGING UPSIDE DOWN
[15:22] Cruise Control: It is pretty funny to see him writhe in pain though

I Took the Red Pill
03-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Tips on stamina killing the fear? I dropped rotten food, and I'm stocking on Poison dart frogs. Eventually all teh food will be gone. But I don't wanna wait that long. Advice?I beat every boss with stamina kills, and The Fear was the easiest because he ate my rotten food within 5 minutes. Maybe I just dropped it in a good spot, but I'd stick with the rotten food.

Cruise Control
03-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I dropped rotten food, poison dart frogs (which are rampant in this area), and dropped a live tarantula in the pile. And I guarded it with my tranq gun while collecting real food (which increased the odds he'd eat mine). Now if only I could find the camo.

How do I get The End's camo. I want 100% index.

I Took the Red Pill
03-11-2007, 07:21 PM
You have to sneak up behind him in battle and hold him up. He'll eventually drop the camo for you.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that for a normal stamina kill he'll give you the tranq sniper, which is also extremely useful.

Cruise Control
03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Ugh, I'm about to old age him. Its not that great. There's really only two jungle spots left, after Grazny Grad and a few places before. I'm so killing him with my PS2 clock.

I Took the Red Pill
03-11-2007, 07:34 PM
There's really only two jungle spots left, after Grazny Grad and a few places before.But there's also the added bonus of an auto-replenishing stamina bar in sunlight.

Cruise Control
03-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Or you know, I've been conserving ALL my calorie mates and ramen. Each fully restore the bar. I have plenty till the end.

I Took the Red Pill
03-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Fine, but it's really not that hard to get the camo. Check the map, see where he's hiding, sneak up behind him, and shake him down. If you're calling it the ultimate MGS3 challenge, you shouldn't be taking shortcuts.

Cruise Control
03-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Just for that jab, I'll get it. Punk. And its not just MGS3, its the entire MG series.

Lost Number
03-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Cruise COntrol, time to learn. The End is NOT hard to find. Keep going, slowly, very slowly and use the heatsensing gogles and sniper rifle to find him. When you do, sneak up behind him. Easy.

Cruise Control
03-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I already got his camo. I used the parrot to locate him. I've stamina killed the fury, and I'm dragging Raikov to the locker room. After murdering everybody of course.

The Fury was teh easiest so far. I used the Santa camo to blend in with the flame. It worked, but I got sick of catching on fire. So splitter camo, black face paint. I shot the pipe directly above me, and stood in the downpour of water, making me impervious to flame. I just stood there and fired away.

CimminyCricket
03-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I've never played any of the metal gears...LIE I played the first one for the PS1, and couldn't get past the first sneak part, too young and inexperience

Lost Number
03-12-2007, 08:08 PM
You can shoot a pipe and get a water spray? This game gets better. I always did mad r&g dashes or snuck up on him. My friend, you will soon be entering the escape from Groznyj Grad. Good fecking luck there. Hey, for added difficulty, keep the transmitter in.

Fonzie
03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
You can shoot a pipe and get a water spray? This game gets better. I always did mad r&g dashes or snuck up on him. My friend, you will soon be entering the escape from Groznyj Grad. Good fecking luck there. Hey, for added difficulty, keep the transmitter in.

Do that, and you'll see a funny scene between Eva and Snake in the Love Cave.

Yew-Yevon
03-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Do that, and you'll see a funny scene between Eva and Snake in the Love Cave.

The things they say during that scene made my laugh.

Try playing the whole game with no stamina...this makes it real hard when your trying to shoot the C3 on the brige.

Cruise Control
03-13-2007, 01:11 AM
I always unlock my cell early, via the Sorrow, but I guess I'll hang around for it.

forevergamer
03-14-2007, 09:01 AM
did you try collecting all the dogtags in sons of liberty?that was a hard one...

Been a gamer since,been a gamer still...

Lost Number
03-14-2007, 07:47 PM
I <3 the scene in the cave! Worth the repeated death!

TheOneBillyX
03-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Sons of Liberty....IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Solid...I bet I can do it

Yew-Yevon
03-15-2007, 08:00 PM
In MGS3, shoot at your enemies in first person wile wareing the monkey mask! thats chalenging...if not impossible

Cruise Control
03-17-2007, 10:19 PM
MGS3 COMPLETE

I used the shotgun on the boss. PO starts Monday. Much love to Jaggernaut101 for allowing me to borrow his PSP. Mine broke as I went to play PO.

Dreddz
03-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Funny, Im playing through PO for my first time at the moment, absolutely brilliant. I would of got through it faster if I wasnt playing online so much.