PDA

View Full Version : I need a wireless internet adapter

CimminyCricket
03-11-2007, 09:12 AM
ok, so I have a wireless router, but I need a cheap/decent or decently priced/decent (decently priced=under 70$) wireless internet adapter for my 2001-2002 computer. if you need specifics of this computer, let me know and I'll guess.

crono_logical
03-11-2007, 10:57 AM
If you've got USB2 ports (should have with that age computer), then you could get a USB wireless adapter - we use Linksys ones at work to test wireless with desktop machines :p If you've only got USB1.1 though, you'd be better off with an internal PCI adapter :p

CimminyCricket
03-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I was looking at a usb adapter but I dunno what kind of usb ports or whatever I have, also, wth is that last thing you mentioned?

o_O
03-11-2007, 12:00 PM
A PCI adapter is a card which slots into your PC motherboard. It's very simple to install, but some people don't like to do it themselves since it involves opening up your PC. You can get PCI adapters cheaper than USB ones too.
USB1.1 will be pretty badly limited in speed if you have a DSL or cable connection. The easiest way to check the type of USB port is to plug in a USB2.0 device and see if Windows tells you that it can go faster. If it just works normally you have USB2.0. I'm sure there's a more definite way to tell, I just don't know it. Maybe in your device manager or something. :p

CimminyCricket
03-11-2007, 04:15 PM
would an ipod cord be a usb2.0 device?

Odaisé Gaelach
03-11-2007, 04:40 PM
would an ipod cord be a usb2.0 device?

If it's shaped like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Type_A_USB_connector.jpg) then it's a USB device. An iPod uses USB 2.0, so it would be ideal. Plug it in, and if Windows doesn't tell you that it could go faster in a USB 2.0 port, well then, you have USB 2.0.

Now however, in my experience USB adapters are significantly less powerful than PCI adapters. They give a much slower connection speed (maximum is typically 54Mb/s) so while they would suffice for an Internet connection, playing games on a LAN or sharing large files and folders could suffer from it.

But it all depends on where you have your router and everything... perhaps you should get a lend of a USB adapter, test out the connection speed, and decide whether it's fast enough or if a PCI card would be better.

rubah
03-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes. IF you get warnings 'you have placed a high speed usb device in a low speed controller'or something, then you're using the old USB.

It doesn't really matter as far as networking goes, unless your wireless is like forever fast. My parents both use external usb receivers to computer and neither of them have usb2. The router only transmits at like 52kbps anyways, and it falls well within old usb's range.

Munty, all of our computers are from that timeframe(well, excepting my macbook xD), and none of them have usb2 :p

CimminyCricket
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
so... ok the router is maybe 60 ft away from where the computer that I am goign to get the whatever works best for.
and yes, my computer says that a highspeed usb thing is in the usb port.
and how much would the chip cost compared to the adapter?

Rostum
03-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Now however, in my experience USB adapters are significantly less powerful than PCI adapters. They give a much slower connection speed (maximum is typically 54Mb/s) so while they would suffice for an Internet connection, playing games on a LAN or sharing large files and folders could suffer from it.

All wireless goes at 11Mbps-54Mbps. It's only the new 802.11n that will be able to go at 100Mbps, and that's still new technology so I don't trust it, not to mention it's extremely expensive! :p

I have been using a Netgear USB wireless on my desktop for a year now, as well as having a new Netgear modem/wireless router. And it works fine, get excellent signals and very fast speeds (on a 1.5Mbps I get the full 150kb/sec download speeds and LAN transfers are extremely quick).

I used to use a Netgear and I also tried a D-Link PCI wireless for my desktop. But to me it's just a waste, because my computer sits under the desk and the case pretty much shelters it from getting any sort of connection with the wireless signal. So unless you can get an extension cord for the attena (even more money), then I'd just go for the USB (that come with USB extension cords).

crono_logical
03-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Munty, all of our computers are from that timeframe(well, excepting my macbook xD), and none of them have usb2 :pMy laptop must have been top of the range when I got it then, since it's got USB2 and is 2002 :p

o_O
03-12-2007, 02:00 AM

All wireless goes at 11Mbps-54Mbps. It's only the new 802.11n that will be able to go at 100Mbps, and that's still new technology so I don't trust it, not to mention it's extremely expensive! :p

While USB2.0 is capable of the 802.11n standard at 108Mbps, having used both PCI and USB, I've found that it is less stable and slower in practice than the PCI adapter. The reason is that USB draws power from the USB port only, which means that the more USB devices you use off of the same controller, the more you'll have power throughput issues. The PCI adapter, on the other hand, draws from the PSU, so there are no power problems there.
The n standard itself is actually perfectly reliable though, the cause of wireless problems is generally poor hardware, which brings me to my next point.

With wireless, you get what you pay for.
Brands to avoid in the wireless department are, unfortunately the cheapest, which include Netgear and DLink. Both of which I used for some time. Really the only brand I fully trust now is Linksys.
In New Zealand, most wireless adapters come in USB and PCI variety, with the PCI being around $NZ10 (about $US6.90) cheaper.
For the PCI adapter I paid $NZ70 ($US48), so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one within your price range.

CimminyCricket
03-12-2007, 02:42 AM
does this "PCI" come with instructions? cause I don't know anything about how my computer works...except for the on off button and the few things like that lol

Rostum
03-12-2007, 03:03 AM

While USB2.0 is capable of the 802.11n standard at 108Mbps, having used both PCI and USB, I've found that it is less stable and slower in practice than the PCI adapter. The reason is that USB draws power from the USB port only, which means that the more USB devices you use off of the same controller, the more you'll have power throughput issues. The PCI adapter, on the other hand, draws from the PSU, so there are no power problems there.
The n standard itself is actually perfectly reliable though, the cause of wireless problems is generally poor hardware, which brings me to my next point.

With wireless, you get what you pay for.
Brands to avoid in the wireless department are, unfortunately the cheapest, which include Netgear and DLink. Both of which I used for some time. Really the only brand I fully trust now is Linksys.
In New Zealand, most wireless adapters come in USB and PCI variety, with the PCI being around $NZ10 (about $US6.90) cheaper.
For the PCI adapter I paid $NZ70 ($US48), so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one within your price range.

Though it's funny how I've managed to use so many USB 2.0 devices at once, and still get good results with my wireless USB dongle. The n standard may be reliable (I really haven't read too much into it though) but from what I've seen I wouldn't pay that much for it.

I'll agree you get what you pay for, but I wouldn't really put Netgear in the category you've put them under, as I've spent quite a bit on my netgear router and it's been working absolutely fantastic for the last year. Yet I have had problems with Linksys (and my very old netgear wireless router; talking around 4 years old) before.

I will agree you might want to get a PCI if you absolutely doubt USB, but I've had nothing but troubles with PCI even with an extension on the attena. Just going by experience here -- I probably would buy an expensive PCI wireless if I got a new computer.

CimminyCricket
03-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Well, I've come to a problem; I've looked at pci's and those that I've looked at involve an ethernet cable. I don't have 60ft of ethernet cable to run through my floor down to my basement.
So I looked at the usb adapters, found one that looked like i could use it, I looked at the back and realised, "Wait, is it compatible with Windows ME?".
Before you stop talking to me realise this: I Have three computers a laptop with xp, and 2004-5 computer with xp and a 6-7 year old computer with ME. This computer is simply a substitute until I get back from boot camp and have the money to buy a monster.
That being said; I also have a belkin wireless router. It works fine with the laptop, I do not have the USB 2.0, I have the step below that, I'm not worried about TOO fast a connection. I'm just looking for an easy substitute.
With the information you all probably would have liked to have sooner, what kind of USB adapter should I get, I've got one in mind that says that it is compatible with Windows ME. How should I go about choosing it? It is well within the price range of what I'd like to spend.
What are more things I should check for about the product before buying it?

JKTrix
03-14-2007, 04:31 PM
If it doesn't explode, chances are it'll be fine. Some quality brand names are Dlink, Linksys, Netgear, Belkin. Perhaps Belkin would be more immediately compatible with your Belkin router.

Similarly, if for some reason your range doesn't reach, you can use these.
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineWirelessAccessPoints.aspx

I have an older version of these that isn't wireless. The modem/router is in the living room in my house, and I have 2 of those plugged into the walls. The network is transferred through the powerline of my house, which is then connected to a 2nd device in my room. That device I have hooked up to a wireless router, which serves my room and my parents room, in addition to my game systems. I'd imagine the wireless version would be just as useful.

Rostum
03-14-2007, 09:23 PM
There are many different variety PCI cards involving video/graphics cards to soundcards, to 10/100Mbps LAN cards to Wireless cards.

You were looking at the wrong PCI card. There are a lot out there that are wireless and don't require an ethernet cable, so I don't know where you've been looking.

For instance:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=12

Discord
03-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Umm... I've got a Linksys myself. I certainly like the router itself, but the adapters and mind you, we've got 2 of those, seem to be causing problems with older machines. On the other hand, everybody else says that they're the best ones out there. I'm using an Intel adapter, built into the laptop, and so far the performance has been flawless.

o_O
03-15-2007, 12:03 AM
I recommend against D-Link and Netgear adapters. I recommend Linksys adapters.

There are horror stories about every brand, since each account is based on personal experience. My account is partially based on trying to hack them into working on Linux with native drivers, and partially based on Windows experience, such as annoying third party wireless software, stability, etc.
I have worked in an ISP, however, and the most problematic adapters were, without a doubt, D-Link. I had trouble getting Netgear to work under Linux with native drivers and using ndiswrapper, but Linksys worked fine.

So really my point is, don't take personal accounts too seriously. Any adapter should work fine for you if you're not trying to do anything out of the ordinary.

But don't buy D-Link. :p

Rostum
03-15-2007, 12:09 AM
I agree, I tried out a d-link PCI card and it was horrible. I was just linking to that as it was the first I found in google for an example. Netgear I have no problems with (I run Windows XP Professional). Linksys are also a brand I recommend as my friend has a router of there's and he's customized it pretty well so it runs very well.

Discord
03-15-2007, 02:32 AM
Now as a matter of fact and to spoit the beautiful conclusion of this post, you might consider getting the adapter of the same brand as your router. Generally speaking, they're made for each other and thus work the best. This is providing you always, or almost always, use the same router to connect to internet.

Since diffent developers put different features into their hardware, which of course only work with their other bits of hardware, you might well miss on things like speed-accelerations and net-lock(or whatever it was called) if you get an adapter of a different brand.

Thus, if you have a d-link router, you might reconsider getting that d-link adapter, even though linksys ones are generally better.

CimminyCricket
03-18-2007, 03:26 AM
I landed a nice linksys usb adapter that is compatable with my router and computer. I'm actually using right now, its really slow though, but I guess slow is better than not being there. I appreciate your help. :c)