PDA

View Full Version : IP Address Conflict

Nominus Experse
03-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I've been receiving these types of warnings as of late:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5244/clipboard01ux7.jpg

I am then unable to connect to the internet.

If I reset my modem, it then works perfectly fine, but I was wondering if there was a more permanent solution.

Thanks.

Mirage
03-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Is there more than one computer on your LAN?

Yamaneko
03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Usually that'll happen when DHCP fails, and upon restart the protocol assigns the same internal IP to two or more machines. I just assign static IP addresses within the network to each of the machines.

Shoeberto
03-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Usually that'll happen when DHCP fails, and upon restart the protocol assigns the same internal IP to two or more machines. I just assign static IP addresses within the network to each of the machines.
Yeah, I've had a lot of problems with DHCP leasing on Windows and had to just rely on statically assigning IPs in order to keep the network connections alive for more than a few hours.

Nominus Experse
03-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Alright, thanks you guys. It seems to have stopped. If it happens again, I'll post here.

Baloki
03-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Reformat and install Linux :p

crono_logical
03-12-2007, 01:21 AM
Have you got wireless on your router? Might be some nasty person outside causing that problem to hop onto your connection :p If so, either disable the wireless or enable security on it :p

Usually that'll happen when DHCP fails, and upon restart the protocol assigns the same internal IP to two or more machines. I just assign static IP addresses within the network to each of the machines.The chance of two machines assigning themselves the same internal IP via APIPA when there's no DHCP is very low, seeing as there's over 65,000 addresses to randomly pick from :p

Reformat and install Linux :pThe nice thing about Linux is unlike Windows, when there's an IP conflict, it doesn't cut off it's own connection but tries to fight to keep the IP for itself :p

Xaven
03-18-2007, 06:26 AM
You don't even have to worry about the others using your router. Just assign yourself a really high IP address. For example, mine is set at 192.168.1.149 So unless someone resets their computer 40 times, I probably won't ever have to fight for that slot. I used to get those messages all the time when I was set to 104 or had it randomly assigned.

o_O
03-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Better yet, statically assign all IPs on you network and set up MAC filtering on your router. That way you don't have to worry about the overhead of decrypting each packet. :p