PDA

View Full Version : do i have to train early on in the game?

RyanML
03-12-2007, 03:31 AM
hey

just wondering is it important to train early on in the game?

ive just got the sunstone (very early in the game lol) and im level 4, should i train now while im in the water ways? or should i wait a while and train elsewhere? is it important to be a higher level at this stage of the game?

Nominus Experse
03-12-2007, 03:36 AM
FF's are notoriously easy - meaning, if it's for anything else but a major boss or side-quest, taking the time to level grind is going to make the game mind-numbingly easy. This then leads to a level of boredom as the game becomes uneventful, monotaneous, etc...

Just go with the flow. If you happen to be having a little trouble with a boss or other major event in the game - and you have taken the time to employ various tactics - then, and only then, level grind for a bit.

This game is slaughtered by over-leveling, and it's not difficult to do in this FF, so be careful.

Garnie
03-12-2007, 03:57 AM
ah in a simpler day as in the days of x sphere point were lots of fun. but as we are back to levels id say lvl up to about 8 it will help trust me

rubah
03-12-2007, 05:27 AM
I would make it a priority to gain a couple of levels immediately after each story line event. They like to increase the monster difficulty quite a bit after each event.

Renmiri
03-12-2007, 06:17 AM
The next bosses are level 7 and 10 respectively and there is no way to get back to Rabanastre without pwning them, after you enter the palace.

People have been beating them both at level 6 but I think it's easier to go at level 10.

Remedy
03-12-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm taking my time on leveling up
also I'm not leaving an area with out buying all the stuff a the shops
-
U better raise Ur level from the beginning.

good luck ^^

Little Blue
03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
I grind for money most of the time so I'm usually a couple levels over levelled... The only hard battles I've had so far are against some marks.

nozkits
03-12-2007, 10:14 AM
FF's are notoriously easy - meaning, if it's for anything else but a major boss or side-quest, taking the time to level grind is going to make the game mind-numbingly easy. This then leads to a level of boredom as the game becomes uneventful, monotaneous, etc...

Just go with the flow. If you happen to be having a little trouble with a boss or other major event in the game - and you have taken the time to employ various tactics - then, and only then, level grind for a bit.

This game is slaughtered by over-leveling, and it's not difficult to do in this FF, so be careful.

Yea I agree. I've made that mistake to level grind early on FF8, and FF9.. The games got too boring, and the only thing that kept me on FF8 was the storyline(loved it.. It had pain, and love, and other things, and it was modern so it made me feel as if I Could have some sort of adventure in my lifetime).. FF9 was easy to get bored with, but only because the storyline was.. Well it kinda sucked....

But that's just my opinion.

I haven't played FF12 yet, but I heard that its infamous for putting high level mobs in low level areas at the start of the game.

The Mog Ninja
03-12-2007, 11:04 AM
I haven't played FF12 yet, but I heard that its infamous for putting high level mobs in low level areas at the start of the game.

Yeah, that is so people can't put on Gambits and level grind for hours without doing anything. Also the high level mobs are usually unagressive.

No.78
03-12-2007, 01:07 PM
I worked out that there were 13 summons so I thought, if I divide 100 by 13 and make sure I am at least that many levels higher than before when I get the next summon, then I'm the right level. Make sense?

Renmiri
03-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I worked out that there were 13 summons so I thought, if I divide 100 by 13 and make sure I am at least that many levels higher than before when I get the next summon, then I'm the right level. Make sense?

Not really because like X, there are 8 summons that are not in the game story line.

I've got 2 "rules" that seemed to work:
1)Match or surpass the level of your Guest
Worked well until Vossler (obviously), after him the only guest you get is late in the game - Reddas - and he comes always 2 levels above your party
2)Level 5-6 levels before each new dungeon
I didn't do this one "religiously". I was having fun hunting for gil and rare game or doing hunts so it worked out that I was 5-6 levels higher every time I had a new monster infested area on the game story line.

You will get the hang of what works for you around the time you get to the southern continent. :love:

ValiantKnight
03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Just explore thoroughly and don't rush the game. Kill everything you can without dying. You should level up enough to be fine.

Not sure how leveling early in FF8 made the game easy. I was under the assumption that leveling early, much like in tactics... made that game harder.
You cause the monster levels to increase, yet you don't have the newer spells/weapons/etc. So you get killed? Since monster level is linked to player level in those 2 games at least.

Angel_from_hell
03-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Myself I like to level, I prefer being overleveled as it is funnier than dying all the time.

So I suggest leveling early in the game.

xtrava
03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Currently level 4? Hmm...I'd suggest being at least level 5 before you try to complete the game. :cool:

Garnie
03-12-2007, 09:14 PM
also another great tip. steal from ya monstors whenever you can itll help towords armour an stuff

Renmiri
03-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Based on the Boss stats, it seems you have to gain 5-6 levels between dungeons.

Orophin
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Just kill everything that is on your way and your lvl should be fine, I entered in the waterway at lvl4 and I didn't die once. Lvl grinding = Not fun, you take hours of your time just killing monsters and the result for your hard work? It makes the game extremely easy so the game becomes boring. Don't worth the trouble if you ask me...

Renmiri
03-13-2007, 05:10 PM
XII becoming extremely easy ? Not possible!

RyanML
03-13-2007, 05:32 PM
im now walking through the leviathon place and vaan is level 10, and i just died because my lagging people walked through an alarm gate.

Mirage
03-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Why does this question keep popping up every time a new game is out?
If you die a lot, you're underleveled, if you don't, your level is fine.

xtrava
03-13-2007, 06:23 PM
The ultimate marks arent extremely easy.........

Formalhaut
03-17-2007, 12:53 AM
How is this game easy to overlevel? You only get about 41 exp in a battle where I am (The waterway Balthier and fran) And I am hardly leveling >_<. Help! Oh and them foes hurt like hell.

BTW renmiri, this is my over lvl file!

:ty:

Roto13
03-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Why does this question keep popping up every time a new game is out?
If you die a lot, you're underleveled, if you don't, your level is fine.

That's what I've been saying forever.

Xurts
03-17-2007, 04:02 AM
Only level grind if you plan on fighting Marks, other than that don't unless you're low on Gil and need more Loot.

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 05:10 AM
Only level grind if you plan on fighting Marks, other than that don't unless you're low on Gil and need more Loot.

Which would be 99% of the time...

GOD GUNDAM
03-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Well, for me I have a lv 32 Vann and I haven't got Penelo yet just because I'm going to go after the marks and rare games, too!

Renmiri
03-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, for me I have a lv 32 Vann and I haven't got Penelo yet just because I'm going to go after the marks and rare games, too!

:eek: Masochist! :eek:

Levelling up with just Vaan is pure torture!

Xurts
03-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Which would be 99% of the time...
Yeah, pretty much.

GOD GUNDAM
03-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I wonder why when I used my Iron Sword it does less damage than when I'm unarmed? I kill Werevolves and the Dinosaur easily now because of my level, but I haven't fight the Lighting Elemental yet!

xtrava
03-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Erm..Maybe you've got the augment that makes you do more damage when unarmed and because Iron Sword is quite rubbish that augment is better than it (but wouldnt be better than a sword you get later in the game of course). =]

GOD GUNDAM
03-18-2007, 02:39 AM
What is attack power?

xtrava
03-18-2007, 02:50 AM
The power of attack :P

(Character Attack Power - Targets Defense) x Characters Strength = Damage Dealt

This is the standard calculation for damage using a sword, however weapons such as maces and guns use other character stats to work out the damage inflicted to an enemy, but lets not worry about that.

So your character has a strength stat, which is directly changed by your level. They also have an attack power stat, which is very low and weapons increase this stat.

So your Iron Sword has the attack power of 24, so your character is now doing 24 minus the targets defense multiplied by your strength. So probably about 100-200 damage depending on your level and the monster you're attacking (but if you're using an Iron Sword your level probably isnt that high so this is probably about right).

However if you have the augment that increases your attack power when unarmed, I dont know the exact attack power it adds on, but its obviously more than your Iron Sword (which sucks). Therefore the damage you do is greater than when using that particular sword.

Any help? :)

GOD GUNDAM
03-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Well, the attack power when I'm unarmed is 11 when the Iron Sword is 24 and I'm lv 33!

xtrava
03-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Yeah, but I dont think the augment shows any change to the attack power stat, it just works in battle.

I assume you do have this augment I'm talking of? Also...get a new sword dude :rolleyes2

GOD GUNDAM
03-18-2007, 03:12 AM
It's hard to get a new sword if you are just power-leveling right now and I will get a new weapon eventually!

xtrava
03-18-2007, 03:24 AM
:) Good luck! Feel free to come back and ask more questions. :cool:

Xurts
03-18-2007, 05:19 AM
I would just like to add that guns only ignore enemy defense when they want to.