PDA

View Full Version : Anime Vs. Manga!

Wolf Kanno
03-12-2007, 08:35 AM
So here I am reading a few "Suggest an anime!" threads and I have some suggestions that I want ot give but the anime may have a flaw. The series that first comes to mind is Kare Kano (His and Hers Circumstance) I really like the anime but I know it's bogged down with slow pacing and an obnoxious recap fetish. Every episode starts with a detailed recap, by the end a good five minutes of the episode is spent just recapping everything. Throw in the fact the episode has I believe two full recap episodes and you can see it has a problem.

But the story and characters are wonderful!:love: So I would usually suggest reading the manga over watching the anime. Not only is it presented better but the anime only covers a third of the story.

Do you feel there are stories that are better in anime format or in the original manga format? Discuss!

Fatal Impurity
03-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Hmm Akira springs to mind when talking about badly done manga to anime conversions...

Emery
03-12-2007, 08:47 AM
What kind of question is this? Does manga have color? voices? naked chicks? Wait it has that last one. Nvm.

NeoCracker
03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
For the most part I think people just complain to much about the anime saying "Oh, the story isn't as good" or "They changed the story, so it sucks." Yes, a lot of the times the story is different, but then you should justs take it as that, a different story rather than constantly complaining about the differences. Other times they complain just because they didn't expect the voice to sound like that, regardless of whether or not it actually fits.

PErsonally I prefer anime, but thats just because I don't feel like reading.

Fatal Impurity
03-12-2007, 09:10 AM
I like both it all depends on whether the anime studio markets it as a spinoff (as it usually is) or an actual true-to-manga conversion (which it rarely is) because if they market it as a true-to-manga conversion and yet its completely different that pisses me off...

Germ Hamee
03-12-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you, Wolf Kanno. Of what the Kare Kano anime covers, I prefer it greatly to the manga. This is simply because the two are almost word-for-word identical, aside from the recaps (but pretty much every anime has recaps, so that's not big deal). For what the anime covers of the manga, I find it so much more enjoyable to watch just because of the kind of energy it has. I only read through the manga to get the rest of the story.

Kare Kano is oddly the only exception for me. I normally prefer the manga over anime, particularly in the cases of X and Angel's Sanctuary. Anime can't get away with everything manga can, and you end up missing out on a lot on the more gruesome stories.

Eiko Guy
03-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I love manga less. Each has its high points though. I love coloring manga bookd to the original color and making it cool. Anime's have voice and are easier to love for music.

Ishin Ookami
03-12-2007, 10:16 AM
I love manga less. Each has its high points though. I love coloring manga bookd to the original color and making it cool. Anime's have voice and are easier to love for music.

The manga is usually vastly superior. Usually. Take one of my favorite series of all time GTO. Now while I absolutely love the anime, it's ending sucked hard. Mostly because the studio had gotten to the point where they had caught up to the manga, and couldn't go forward for a while until more chapters had been written, so they just invented their own ending.

That is really the problem with a lot of anime, if its following a long, or incomplete series, then it's likely that the ending is going to be mediocre. Rurouni Kenshin, X, Ranma 1/2, Trigun, InuYahsa, These all had great anime conversions, but their endings were very weak due to the fact that they just could not run as long as the manga was going, or they were being written at the same time (Rurouni Kenshin's third season was so awful, because the third season, and the third story arc of the manga were being written at the same time, thus the writers pretty much had to make the third season entirely filler).

Also more can be done in a manga than in a anime. Manga just has more freedom to develop characters in a single panel, and the format allows for more versitility in terms of the artwork and storytelling. An anime has to flow at a certain pace, so some jokes or moments of dialouge stated in an aside are often left out for the sake of a good storytelling flow.

I'm not saying that manga is always superior, the InuYasha anime did have some interesting episodes or plot points that lead to a better flowing story at times, such as kikyo coming across a bandit that has a connection to her past, and giving her a reason to chase Naraku in the Schinintai story arc. In the manga, she just showed up for the sake of plot contrivance. But 9 times out of 10, the manga is usually better.

Mirage
03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
This thread could also just have been called book vs movie.

JKTrix
03-12-2007, 03:09 PM
I can agree that if the anime is based off a manga, the manga would be a more substantive source of entertainment.

Like a lot of other people though, I'd rather watch an anime than read the manga, unless the story was exceptionally outstanding and compelling. Like The Twelve Kingdoms (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=102731)--though that's a book, not a manga, which takes even more convincing for me.

Tasura
03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Manga = no filler (basically)
Anime = motion/sound/colour

Both have their strong points, if a series stops abruptly (Rave/Groove Adventure Rave; Tenjou Tenge) I will usually read on in the manga form where the anime left off, or if the manga has no series that I know of and sounds interesting (666 Satan). Otherwise I stick with anime, though now that I've found a couple awesome sites, I can see my manga reading picking up alot.

edczxcvbnm
03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I would normally prefer the anime but filler can be pretty bad and then I start to read just the comic(Bleach). I think the problem with some anime is that they start animating the comic too soon and then they are caught up to it before you know it. I think they need to wait longer sometimes. Fullmetal Alchemist is a fairly good example of this. They started that pretty early in the comic's life but at least they took it in their own direction and ended it well instead of drawing it out forever.

Vermachtnis
03-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I prefer manga. Mostly because it's cheaper. About the only genre I like better in anime is Shonen, cause it's more actiony and is better to be watched than read. But having Naru yell pervert and kicked Keitaro into orbit is funnier in manga. For some reason it looks painful in anime :eek:

Sometimes changes ain't bad. Look at Megaman NT Warrior. The anime, videogame, and manga are all different from one another. But, they tell basically the same story in the way best for their medium. The manga's the funniest of the three I think, I mean the games' still have that scene where Lan acually throws his PET at the enemy.

look_out_below
03-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I tend to like both and do not really prefer one over the other unless an anime has hired really bad voice actors and script writers then i prefer the manga.
Hey if you are interested in seeing what it would be like to see both manga and anime at the same time watch episode 1 and 6 of FLCL just do not ask me what is going on half the time in this series its more confusing then Excel Saga.

Nominus Experse
03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
It seems completely arbitrary as to what is superior. In my experience, it seems to have been split right down the middle 50/50.

The one major shortfall in anime is when it surpasses the manga in terms of a storyline - the anime studios seem to have a notorious affiliation with :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty, half-ass endings to unfinished mangas. Note FMA.

Cookie
03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I prefer manga. I want that guy to finish Zombie Powder for me :(.

Marshall Banana
03-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Inuyasha is way more enjoyable as an anime (except in English), and since I've been reading the manga to find out what happens after episode 167, I've been wanting to see the rest animated, too. I really like the ending, myself, even though it's more of a cliff-hanger than an ending, but I have a hard time believing that we've seen the last of Inuyasha anime, anyway. <3

I think anime spoils me. I have a hard time reading manga if I've already seen its anime counterpart. =(

Araciel
03-12-2007, 09:00 PM
the hell's the difference

Mirage
03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Manga = comics, anime = animation.

NeoCracker
03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
I loved X's ending in the anime myself.

Ishin Ookami
03-12-2007, 11:27 PM
Inuyasha is way more enjoyable as an anime (except in English), and since I've been reading the manga to find out what happens after episode 167, I've been wanting to see the rest animated, too. I really like the ending, myself, even though it's more of a cliff-hanger than an ending, but I have a hard time believing that we've seen the last of Inuyasha anime, anyway. <3

I think anime spoils me. I have a hard time reading manga if I've already seen its anime counterpart. =(

The anime does have it's moments where it surppasses the manga. I mean where else are you gonna find InuYasha and Kagome squaring off with 50 foot tall chibi versions of themselves. That was one of the best damn filler eps of all time IMO.

But then there are times when the anime REALLY falls short. InuYasha's fight with the leader of the schinintai was butchered in the Anime, and felt way too contrived as opposed to the impressive way ol puppy ears bested him in the manga. and Kikyo for the first fifty or so episodes was just way too evil. The manga showed her much more tormented and complicated. Also IY in the anime always seems to prefer kikyo, in the manga it's almost always been obvious that while he has feelings for kikyo, he almost always chooses Kagome in the end. Which I do like better as it's obvious that IY and Kagome are likely to wind up together at the end.

the anime studios seem to have a notorious affiliation with :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty, half-ass endings to unfinished mangas. Note FMA.

Ah hell, watch GTO sometime. The anime did a bang up job making the anime TV safe while still keeping the gritty and very adult tone of the manga intact, not to mention the pee your pants funny humor and intricate character development. Then they go ahead and destroy all that good work with the final three episodes. I was on the verge of tearing my hair out as you could literally hear them giving up on doing anything decent halfway through episode 41, and just working to shut it down.

I loved X's ending in the anime myself.

Movie or TV series?

The tv series I didn't like the ending. Kamui never really grew out of the shock of Fuma's betrayal, and fulfilled his prophesy that he would be the one to choose the fate of the earth. In the end he fell pray to his consequences and felt way to weak. Espescially when one of his own betrayed him and tried to kill him and he had to be saved by his friend.

The movie, didn't have half the character development and focused story, but I like it better because the battles fought in it FELT like the apoccalypse was going down. Tokyo was a wreck by the end. Also I do like that Kamui actually chose his fate, even at the cost of his own heart at the end. It felt like he rose above the consequences around him, which is what the Ten no Ryu represents, and established that though essentially weak, humanity CAN indeed choose to overcome difficulty. The movies ending I felt stayed far more true to the themes of X, which I think are awesome.

Roto13
03-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I prefer manga to anime. And western comic books to manga because it's generally better looking.

NeoCracker
03-12-2007, 11:41 PM
The TV series. I don't see what was wrong with it myself. IF your friend suddenly betrayed you and tried to destroy the world, I highly dought the shock of that will ever be go away. And it wasn't that Kamui felt he was weak, the person he was fighting was his friend, and he believed that Fuma had the strength to overcome this power that turned him into the dragon of Earth, and in the end Kamui was right. Through his sacrifice Fuma was able to regain his true self, and thus they defeated teh Dragons of earth.

Ishin Ookami
03-13-2007, 12:24 AM
The TV series. I don't see what was wrong with it myself. IF your friend suddenly betrayed you and tried to destroy the world, I highly dought the shock of that will ever be go away. And it wasn't that Kamui felt he was weak, the person he was fighting was his friend, and he believed that Fuma had the strength to overcome this power that turned him into the dragon of Earth, and in the end Kamui was right. Through his sacrifice Fuma was able to regain his true self, and thus they defeated teh Dragons of earth.

That I don't have a problem with, but that ending runs counter clockwise to what the Ten no Ryu (dragons of heaven) believe. The Chi no ryu (dragons of earth) believe that mankind is inherrantly corrupt, weak, and flawed. It is these flaws that are killing the earth slowly, making it impossible for the planet to support all life, and that the human race must be exterminated because it will never redeem itself.

The Ten No Ryu believe that though inherently flawed, humanity CAN overcome difficulty and CHOOSE their own destiny, thus showing there is hope for both humanity and the earth, without the need for Genocide.

Which is why the ending lacks. All through out the series we've been hearing about the fundamental strength of humanity that the Chi no ruy have given up on, only to have Kamui utterly surrender himself to his fate instead of choosing it, according to the Dragon he became.

The theme of destiny Vs free will also collapses here, because Hinoto could fortell that Kamui would be betrayed, that he would fight Fuma, but not who would win because THAT was all a matter of choice, Kamui's choice. Yet Kamui doesn't really grow to fulfill that choice, and chooses to sacrifice himself. Which is fairly lame. I also didn't like how various members of the various dragons survived. since they were ALL supposed to die, not just have their powers broken. Thus causing the themes of Free will Vs Destiny to utterly collapse into a puddle of plot contrivance.

I'm not saying the series sucks entirely, just the ending. Right up until Betrayal the series managed to maintain that balance of Destiny and Free will colliding and conflicting. Sota's being fated to die for the woman he loves, and just choosing the first really hot member of the Ten no ryu he see's being a rather comical example. I just felt the movie handled those themes better overall, as well as giving us a hum dinger of an apocalypse.

Marshall Banana
03-13-2007, 12:52 AM
Also IY in the anime always seems to prefer kikyo, in the manga it's almost always been obvious that while he has feelings for kikyo, he almost always chooses Kagome in the end. Which I do like better as it's obvious that IY and Kagome are likely to wind up together at the end.
I think both the manga and anime confuse/annoy me a little/a lot concerning Inuyasha x Kikyou versus Inuyasha x Kagome. Both the manga and anime foreshadow an Inuyasha x Kagome type of ending, and I'm sure that at this point it's set in stone, but occasionally there's an episode or chapter that challenges it. Even after Kikyou's final death - just a few dozen chapters ago - Takahashi was still pitting her against Kagome by suggesting that Inuyasha wanted to follow Kikyou in death, meaning he would leave Kagome behind. This is something that's come up before, but I thought it was resolved years ago!

Oh, Takahashi! This annoys me to no end!

NeoCracker
03-13-2007, 01:16 AM
That I don't agree with. He did in fact choose his destiny. He allowed his death to come, not to surrender to destiny, but to give his friend Fuma a chance. He choose the life of his friend over his own, believing his friend could overcome his destiny and save the earth. Kamui had never once surrendered to his fate.

Ishin Ookami
03-13-2007, 01:26 AM
Also IY in the anime always seems to prefer kikyo, in the manga it's almost always been obvious that while he has feelings for kikyo, he almost always chooses Kagome in the end. Which I do like better as it's obvious that IY and Kagome are likely to wind up together at the end.
I think both the manga and anime confuse/annoy me a little/a lot concerning Inuyasha x Kikyou versus Inuyasha x Kagome. Both the manga and anime foreshadow an Inuyasha x Kagome type of ending, and I'm sure that at this point it's set in stone, but occasionally there's an episode or chapter that challenges it. Even after Kikyou's final death - just a few dozen chapters ago - Takahashi was still pitting her against Kagome by suggesting that Inuyasha wanted to follow Kikyou in death, meaning he would leave Kagome behind. This is something that's come up before, but I thought it was resolved years ago!

Oh, Takahashi! This annoys me to no end!

well, keep in mind that that particular storyline after kikyos death annoyed just about everyone. Monster of the week rehashing the same events that took place during the schinintai story arc when naraku supposedly killed kikyo. Just with nowhere near as much charisma.

At least the manga has picked up in steam recently. Takahashi has announced that she is now finally ready to end IY, and for the past two to three months the stories have all been top notch. I'm just hoping she maintains this momentum instead of inserting another monster of the week.

Wolf Kanno
03-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Damn, this thread took a different turn than I thought... oh well:D

I'm going to have to disagree with you, Wolf Kanno. Of what the Kare Kano anime covers, I prefer it greatly to the manga. This is simply because the two are almost word-for-word identical, aside from the recaps (but pretty much every anime has recaps, so that's not big deal). For what the anime covers of the manga, I find it so much more enjoyable to watch just because of the kind of energy it has. I only read through the manga to get the rest of the story.

Kare Kano is oddly the only exception for me. I normally prefer the manga over anime, particularly in the cases of X and Angel's Sanctuary. Anime can't get away with everything manga can, and you end up missing out on a lot on the more gruesome stories.

I love the anime but I feel it has certain issues that would hinder the pleasure in watching it from a less patient person. I personally don't care and found the anime to be brilliant and pefectly executed at most points. I still love the scene when Miyazawa confess' her feeling's to Arima by taking his hand during the school meeting. The music, visuals, VA, and flow of the scene was perfect. But I've watched the series with less patient people and they tend to ruin my enjoyment by complaining about the series getting to the point. So it's difficult for me to just tell people to watch it if I don't know there preference or personality.

As for X. I love the manga far more than the movie or TV series. It's just more detailed and well executed IMHO. I like the movie and series as well but the manga to me is just better overall (well except for the fact a new volume gets released every blue moon and the fact I hear that CLAMP has put the series on hiatus becuase of recent world events.:rolleyes2 ).

LunarWeaver
03-13-2007, 07:04 AM
I guess it just depends for me. If the anime is good stuff and mostly the same as the manga, then I prefer the anime, but...

The only time I don't is if I come into in too far behind in a very long running series. Something like Naruto already has 50,000 episodes, and I can read the entire manga in half the time it would take me to sit around and watch all that. In the 23 minutes or so it takes to watch one episode, I can get multiple chapters done, so sometimes I just don't want to bother. And I know that has a filler issue too, which is another thing altogether.

Reles
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
I <3 kare kano, I should definitely start reading that again. It was cute.

I can't tell which I like better. Sometimes I have that need to read certain manga that I used to when I was younger, or watch a certain anime. I feel that manga is more informative and I like not having to watch the theme song before every episode. But there are several series that I adore and are used to seeing on the screen, also the thing about anime that attracts me is the music. I definitely get into the anime more when there's background music and sounds. But with anime, I definitely can't watch the kind we have in America that plays on TV, it's too americanized, I can't find that I enjoy it as much. I need the subtitles to make me feel happy, and I need the whole series, not parts cut out to make it more suitable for the younger kids.

JKTrix
03-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Adult Swim is the best source of 'as good as it gets' anime on TV in the US, as far as dubs go. The shows they produce are rarely 'Americanized', especially the most recent additions of Eureka 7, Bleach and Blood +. The stuff that comes on after school, or saturday mornings, does not make for very substantial watching.

I actually prefer 'original works' anime, things that are *not* based off manga. Like Eureka 7 and Blood +. That way there are no fankids to complain about fillers and 'that's not part of the story'. The majority of manga-turned-anime that come to the US tends to be of the Shonen variety.

Fatal Impurity
03-13-2007, 10:05 PM
I love anime stand-alone (movies not already based on a manga or anime) OVA's or movies (such as blood: the last vampire or metropolis) as they tend to get straight to the point, have less fillers and the story is mores self contained with no recaps or cliffhangers to ruin it. Plus anime movies tend to have better more meaningful ending unlike the crap that appears as Ghost in the shell as the ending.

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
I guess it just depends for me. If the anime is good stuff and mostly the same as the manga, then I prefer the anime, but...

The only time I don't is if I come into in too far behind in a very long running series. Something like Naruto already has 50,000 episodes, and I can read the entire manga in half the time it would take me to sit around and watch all that. In the 23 minutes or so it takes to watch one episode, I can get multiple chapters done, so sometimes I just don't want to bother. And I know that has a filler issue too, which is another thing altogether.

I've done this before. In fact with Naruto specifically. Theres also times where I find the anime doesn't do the manga justice. Like Bleach, for instance. The manga is awsome and the battles and scenes are intense and I just don't feel it when I watch the series. Throw in the fact that Bleach has a rather bland soundtrack with some inappropiate (To The EXTREME!!!) music choices for key impotant scenes and I find it difficult to watch, even when it tells the story mostly accurately to the manga.

I <3 kare kano, I should definitely start reading that again. It was cute.

I can't tell which I like better. Sometimes I have that need to read certain manga that I used to when I was younger, or watch a certain anime. I feel that manga is more informative and I like not having to watch the theme song before every episode. But there are several series that I adore and are used to seeing on the screen, also the thing about anime that attracts me is the music. I definitely get into the anime more when there's background music and sounds. But with anime, I definitely can't watch the kind we have in America that plays on TV, it's too americanized, I can't find that I enjoy it as much. I need the subtitles to make me feel happy, and I need the whole series, not parts cut out to make it more suitable for the younger kids.

It's a damn good series!

I agree, I think the bigger appeal is the music and voices. Many anime have good soundtracks and some series are defined by them (Cowboy Bebop and FLCL). As for the "Amercanized" anime. It's not as bad as before. Just as JKTrix pointed out with Adult Swim's lineup. Naruto isn't too bad, it's changes only annoy the most hardcore of fans but overall it's pretty good. Of course then you get stuff like poor One Piece (change that, 4Kids Entertainment hates anime fans cause they always butcher any series they get a hold of.) which is just a pale shadow of it's former self. The ratio has gotten better over the years.

Adult Swim is the best source of 'as good as it gets' anime on TV in the US, as far as dubs go. The shows they produce are rarely 'Americanized', especially the most recent additions of Eureka 7, Bleach and Blood +. The stuff that comes on after school, or saturday mornings, does not make for very substantial watching.

I actually prefer 'original works' anime, things that are *not* based off manga. Like Eureka 7 and Blood +. That way there are no fankids to complain about fillers and 'that's not part of the story'. The majority of manga-turned-anime that come to the US tends to be of the Shonen variety.

That how I am lately. I love my FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi Muyo!, Wolf's Rain and Robotech (I like Macross as well you damn purist!)

I love anime stand-alone (movies not already based on a manga or anime) OVA's or movies (such as blood: the last vampire or metropolis) as they tend to get straight to the point, have less fillers and the story is mores self contained with no recaps or cliffhangers to ruin it. Plus anime movies tend to have better more meaningful ending unlike the crap that appears as Ghost in the shell as the ending.

I have issues with most anime movies. If it's not an original property (I hate manga adaptions as well as "movie sequels") I tend to cringe as I watch them. Only Leiji Matsumoto tends to make good movies based on his works. Satoshi Kon does some brilliant stuff as well.

Fatal Impurity
03-14-2007, 10:30 AM

I have issues with most anime movies. If it's not an original property (I hate manga adaptions as well as "movie sequels") I tend to cringe as I watch them. Only Leiji Matsumoto tends to make good movies based on his works. Satoshi Kon does some brilliant stuff as well.

Studio Gibli doesnt do to badly with thier original works...as for movies based on anime or manga...well there is always something that feels incomplete or unfinished about it and thats what the studio's rely on (thats how they sell the TV series). But i mean the best anime is always the original anime! Just look at Blood: The last vampire for example...that had a great brooding atmosphere within some technically excellent animation and tentative loose strings (which were resloved in the anime/manga and games). Somehow you never seem to able to get the same effect with something based off a manga or anime...i dont know why.

Setzer Gabianni
03-14-2007, 11:52 AM
FB is one. Sure, the anime is good, but it's like the same with movies - it's bound to miss out a lot of stuff they can't fit in!

:/

NeoCracker
03-14-2007, 11:54 AM
As far as movies that are made for a series, most of the time the movie does lack something that makes it less than the series. The exception being Cowboy Bebop - Knockin on Heaven's Door. Amazing movie that went with the series well.

Wolf Kanno
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Studio Gibli doesnt do to badly with thier original works...as for movies based on anime or manga...well there is always something that feels incomplete or unfinished about it and thats what the studio's rely on (thats how they sell the TV series). But i mean the best anime is always the original anime! Just look at Blood: The last vampire for example...that had a great brooding atmosphere within some technically excellent animation and tentative loose strings (which were resloved in the anime/manga and games). Somehow you never seem to able to get the same effect with something based off a manga or anime...i dont know why.

Manga tends to be stand alone. I think the .HACK:// series is the only one where it expands the story through many different forms of media. Anime branches out a bit with movie sequels. EVA is the first series to come to mind (course I like the TV series ending better. I'm also disappointed in knowing their making more movies as well.). I'm not a big fan of Blood I'm afraid so I never really got to see the story continue beyond the movie.:(

FB is one. Sure, the anime is good, but it's like the same with movies - it's bound to miss out a lot of stuff they can't fit in!

I'm still waiting for a second season for this series. Though I love both for different reasons.

As far as movies that are made for a series, most of the time the movie does lack something that makes it less than the series. The exception being Cowboy Bebop - Knockin on Heaven's Door. Amazing movie that went with the series well.

Knockin On Heaven's Door is definetly one of the exceptions. As well as the Tenchi and Ranma movies. I also forgot about the movies that are condensed versions of the series. Of these the only one that is good is Macross: Do You Remeber Love? (I don't count the Escaflowne movie cause it's basically a different story altogether from the series.)

Jessweeee♪
03-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Well, I don't read manga. I don't because I know if I do, I'll love it and I'll spend every penny I have on it and I won't be able to stop. At least with my anime addiction I can go on youtube and see it for free :\

No.78
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Dragonball/Z Manga> Everything

Everything> Dragonball/Z/GT Anime

Markus. D
03-16-2007, 03:34 AM
I prefer the anime adaptions.

because I'm not very good at commiting to read

._.;

The Summoner of Leviathan
03-16-2007, 03:55 AM
I prefer manga when I can get a hold of it. So far comparing the manga to the anime of the manga I have read, the manga wins hands down. But I prefer anime because it is a lot easier to find and download series than manga. The thing I hate about downloading manga is that I rather read a book than text off a screen.

Zeromus_X
03-16-2007, 04:50 AM
I prefer reading manga. It's generally less expensive than anime, and you don't have to worry about annoying filler storylines.

Big D
03-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I prefer reading manga. It's generally less expensive than anime,I've seen that a couple of times in this thread, and I don't quite get it. I guess y'all are referring to anime series that keep on going for a considerable time. But in other cases, the anime can certainly be the cheaper option. Fruits Basket is the only anime series I've seen in its entirely. From what I know of the ongoing manga storyline, they did a great job of capturing the more important elements without descending into waffle or sidetracks. I guess that's the advantage of limiting themselves to only twenty-something episodes - they had to be concise, and cram in a lot of depth in a short amount of time.

Anyway, to buy the anime is reasonably affordable. It's only a three-disk set. But the manga has around a hundred and twenty issues, each costing nearly twenty dollars to buy new (in my part of the world, if not other people's). If I sold my car for a good price, I might just be able to afford the manga, whereas I could theoretically get the anime with a few hours' wages.

Mirage
03-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Three disk set? 4 episodes per DVD makes for 6 DVDs per season, and some animes are longer than one season.

Nothing compared to Japan though, where I hear it's not uncommon to see 2 episodes per DVD.