PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Song Ever Written

Bunny
03-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Period.

"Cribcaged" (http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/painofsalvation/scarsick.html#3) by Pain of Salvation, from Scarsick.

Note: Link contains lyrics to a song that features use of the "f-word" aplenty. Offended parties should avoid clicking the link. Link exists because the song does not work without the word used.

Best. Song. Ever. Go listen to it!

So what's your favorite song ever? No lists. Just one song. Include lyrics or links to where it can be found.

Rocket Edge
03-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Greatest song ever written is almost impossible to say. I always reguarded Simon & Garfunkel's 'Bridge over Troubled Water' a classic in that esteem, but i'm not sure.

The greatest song for me, would be 2Pac's 'Stay True'. But thats only a hand picked one from many. :greenie:

blim
03-12-2007, 05:08 PM
only one, hmm in that case ill have to say Talk to me by Joni Mitchell (from Don Juan's reckless Daughter)

http://play.rhapsody.com/jonimitchell/donjuansrecklessdaughter/talktome (link only works in US)

or try http://www.last.fm/music/Joni+Mitchell/_/Talk+to+Me

Jaco's bass playing ties in beautifully with Joni's singing on this track ( Cotton Avenue off the same album is equally good)

Kirobaito
03-12-2007, 07:51 PM
I don't think any song that makes proficient use of the f-word deserves to even be mentioned.

I think the greatest popular song (re: non-classical) ever written is Don McLean's "American Pie".

Bunny
03-12-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't think any song that makes proficient use of the f-word deserves to even be mentioned.

And why is that? Because cursing is generally seen as a sign of the unintelligent or do you have some deeper, darker reason for saying this? It is in there for a reason. It enhances the message that the song, and the lyrics, are trying to get across. It has meaning. It isn't just there.

Shoeberto
03-12-2007, 08:50 PM
It's really not a matter of opinion to be debated - Beelzeboss (The Final Showdown) by Tenacious D is the Greatest Song in the World, certified as such during a battle with the devil himself.

Burtsplurt
03-12-2007, 09:14 PM
The Moon by the Microphones. I love the stream of consciousness lyrics - there should be more songs about the natural world and broken love!

Download (http://www.ateamshrine.com/moon.mp3)
Lyrics (http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3458764513820564467)

If you download it, please listen to it on headphones. It doesn't work as well through speakers.

Slothy
03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Easy: Rosetta Stoned by Tool. That song is the most amazing thing every played. Ever.

jrgen
03-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Cribcaged is a nice song, but there are better Pain of Salvation songs.

Ontopic: I could never pick a favourite song.

XxSephirothxX
03-12-2007, 10:44 PM
I think the greatest popular song (re: non-classical) ever written is Don McLean's "American Pie".
Yes. I'm not sure there's another song out there with as much to say about the soul and history of music itself.

I Took the Red Pill
03-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I have to give it to Bohemian Rhapsody.

PyroManiak
03-12-2007, 11:14 PM
ITS THE GREATEST SONG IN THE WORLD!!!-tribute lol

cribcaged - personally I don't care about our childrens cribs, the people he describes cribs...or the crib hes caged... I do agree with his point that we'r all just people but, I get the feeling hes suggesting I not care about making something out of myself becuz even if I try hard to get all that stuff Im still just person he wants to fuck? so this song bieng exposed to the baby cribs or whatever culd maybe hurt the cribs or whatever he meant by that... well I guess if that person who wrote it does fuck me hard I'd be constipated so thats not so good for the baby jesus crib or watever either...dunno wat to say

silentenigma
03-13-2007, 02:13 AM
Greatest song of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/v/-b7qaSxuZUg

Devourment
03-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Paganini's Caprice No. 24

TyphoonThaReapa
03-13-2007, 04:51 PM
A'yo, It would be Bone Thugs -N- Harmony- Crossroads no dobt! When I died...I want that to be play at my furnaral. Hey, that's a good topic.:cool:

Rocket Edge
03-13-2007, 04:56 PM
A'yo, It would be Bone Thugs -N- Harmony- Crossroads no dobt! When I died...I want that to be play at my furnaral. Hey, that's a good topic.:cool:
The greatest rap song ever written was 2Pac's 'Holler if ya hear Me' dropped in 92. ;)

TyphoonThaReapa
03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
The greatest rap song ever written was 2Pac's 'Holler if ya hear Me' dropped in 92. ;)

HOLLA!!!!!!!!

Fatal Impurity
03-13-2007, 07:59 PM
If i had to pick just one song I'd pick "Don't damn me" by Guns 'N Roses just because of how closely it mirrors my life...but really its impossible to choose...

Btw here is the lyrics for "Dont damn me"

Don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
And I've seen what I have seen
I put the pen to the paper
'Cause it's all a part of me

Be it a song or casual conversation
To hold my tongue speaks
Of quiet reservations
Your words once heard
They can place you in a faction
My words may disturb
But at least there's a reaction

Sometimes I wanna kill
Sometimes I wanna die
Sometimes I wanna destroy
Sometimes I wanna cry
Sometimes I could get even
Sometimes I could give up
Sometimes I could give
Sometimes I never give a fuck

It's only for a while
I hope you understand
I never wanted this to happen
Didn't want to be a man
So I hid inside my world
I took what I could find
I cried when I was lonely
I fell down when I was blind

But don't damn me
An I've seen what I have seen

How can I ever satisfy you
And how can I ever make you see
That deep inside we're all somebody
And it don't matter who you wanna be
But now I gotta smile
I hope you comprehend
For this man can say it happened
'Cause this child has been
condemned
So I stepped into your world
I kicked you in the mind
And I'm the only witness
To the nature of my crime

But look at what we've done
To the innocent and young
Whoa listen to who's talking
'Cause we're not the only ones
The trash collected by the eyes
And dumped into the brain
Said it tears into our
conscious thoughts
You tell me who's to blame

I know you don't wanna hear me cryin'
And I know you don't wanna hear me deny
That your satisfaction lies in your ILLUSIONS
But your delusions are yours and not mine
We take for granted we know the whole story
We judge a book by its cover
And read what we want
Between selected lines

Don't hail me
And don't idolize the ink
Or I've failed in my intentions
Can you find the missing link
Your only validation is living your own life

Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time
So I send this song to the offended
I said what I meant and I've never pretended
As so many others do intending just to please
If I damned your point of view
Could you turn the other cheek?

But don't damn me
And I've seen what I have seen
Don't damn me
I said don't damn me
I said don't hail me
Don't damn me

TyphoonThaReapa
03-13-2007, 08:03 PM
A'yo, to tell you the truth, I really don't know how to answer this question because I have so many that all connect in their own way. It's...just...the type of question your sure about in one minute and in the other your not so sure you know?

Fatal Impurity
03-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Yeah i see what you mean...music is a thing that alters the mood and depending on your mood some music can be more effective and/or pleasing, than others...such as a lullaby when you want to sleep for example.

Bloodline666
03-14-2007, 01:39 AM
I'd have to say "You Can't Bring Me Down" Suicidal Tendencies, since has some <i>interesting</i> lyrics, especially that whole last verse, and some killer guitar riffs, too.

blim
03-14-2007, 08:31 AM
I'd have to say "You Can't Bring Me Down" Suicidal Tendencies, since has some interesting lyrics, especially that whole last verse, and some killer guitar riffs, too.

I am genuinely shocked you didn't choose a Slayer tune:eek: