PDA

View Full Version : New Game

arcanedude34
03-12-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm startting a new game. I have a Warrior, White Mage, Black Mage and one open spot. What would be the best possible character to go in here?

abrojtm
03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Warrior would make it easy.

Martyr
03-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Making it a Thief will allow you to access all the facilities of the game.

Frostwake
03-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Best possible - Warrior without a doubt... And I would also change Black mage for Red mage for a very strong party that needs few trips to inns, then again if you want challenge, go with a black belt or something:p

f f freak
03-12-2007, 10:38 PM
I would say either another Warrior or a thief. The warrior will help you power through the game but Thieves speed is better which is why they get more attacks faster making them some times stronger than a warrior. Your choice really but I'd go for a Warrior or Thief.

darksword12
03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Warrior and thief are good choices. I actually like using a red mage in that spot. Be ye forewarned: a red mage will make your party quite expensive. However, this party's worked for me in the past.

It's really your choice when it comes to the RM. If you want a less tedious game, I'd reccomend the warrior or thief.

Werefox
03-13-2007, 05:53 AM
I had the same party on my first three saves. Each save I chose the Thief for the blank spot. There will be fights where the wisest decision will be to run. I can't recall off the top of my head anytime my thieves have ever failed to run from monsters that are programmed to be....'runnable'.

It is ironic saying this, but my other alternate suggestion would be the BlackBelt (Monk). He needs little or no equipment to progress in power, saving you quite a bit of G.

Crossblades
03-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Monk/BB. He doesn't need much armor and hits almost as hard as the Warrior

LoKuS
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Warrior, Red Mage, Thief, and Blackbelt.

Captain Maxx Power
03-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Get a Red Mage in, a mixture of all three of the classes you already have for some hybrid funness :)

arcanedude34
03-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I went with Warrior, White Mage, Black Mage, and Thief. To all those who suggested Red Mage.... no.

As of now, my thief deals more damage than my Warrior. And gets his turns quicker. But dies more.

Oh, well.

Nominus Experse
03-16-2007, 06:48 AM
A Black Belt could easily fix that; granted by inevitably becoming the one that dies more...

boys from the dwarf
03-17-2007, 07:56 PM
i depends what version. two fighters ar less interesting than a fighter and a theif or a fighter and a monk/BB.

black belts can be the most powerful fighters and they are cheap. red mages and fighters are the two most expensive job classes to equip.

take these things into consideration but you cant go wrong with a WM/BM and two physcial job classes.

Captain Maxx Power
03-17-2007, 08:30 PM
I went with Warrior, White Mage, Black Mage, and Thief. To all those who suggested Red Mage.... no.

You have exactly ten thousand words to explain yourself. You will fail at this.

crazybayman
03-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Warrior, Red Mage, Thief, and Blackbelt.
Yes.

Yeah, Fighter and Red Mage (and Theif to a certain degree) are expensive. However, if you like pure fire-power in your physical attacks, Fighter and Red Mage, combined with thief and a black belt gives you great offense. Plus the black belt is cheap, too.

I find having a white mage to do nothing but heal (and cast the odd harm spell) is freakin' boring. Plus Black mage is an unbelievable pussy, and casting black magic bores me too. The Red Mage can do both, and can contribute to the physical attack in a big way, too.

Bluecho
04-15-2007, 11:53 PM
I suggest a thief.
You could use a Red Mage, which would be incredibly useful in the beginning. But after class change, the specialization required in the later dungeons only leaves the Red Mage wanting.
The Thief, on the other hand, is not really useful in the beginning, but becomes incredibly useful after class change. The Thief can run very well, and can sometimes match the Fighter's damage dealing when properly equipped. And after class change, the Ninja will be very powerful, essentially acting as a kind of Fighter himself. Like, having a Fighter after class change, not as powerful as a Knight, but still very good. And he can also use low level black magic. You just need to keep the Thief alive in the meantime, and he will become a great asset.

sockmonkey
04-16-2007, 12:52 AM
I'd go with the red mage or the fighter. A backup meatshield is nice just in case the first suffers some bad luck and the random battles (which is most of the game) will go a lot easier.

Likewise the red mage is meant to be a backup to all the other classes. A way to cast exit, cure, or fire if one of your mages dies and a way to finish chopping up the bad guy who just killed your fighter.
They aren't bad at running either.

Kanshisha
04-16-2007, 02:10 AM
Prob pick a thief.. theives for unlocking :D or even a monk... monks are pretty much like warrior but a money saver..

darksword12
04-16-2007, 04:24 AM
Prob pick a thief.. theives for unlocking :D or even a monk... monks are pretty much like warrior but a money saver..

If I'm being stupid and this was a joke, forgive me, but... thieves don't "unlock" anything in ff1.

Update on the red mage situation:

The thing red mages really don't do well is attack. Late in the game you'll really notice an imbalance: you'll only have one good fighter.

I've never used a two-fighter party, but I can imagine it would be really good. Once the thief becomes a ninja, though, he can act pretty well as a fighter.

Comet
04-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Thief FTW

ReloadPsi
04-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Drop your Black Mage for a Red Mage and fill the last space with a Thief.

Black Mage will be a liability from beginning to end.

arcanedude34
04-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Guys, I already started the game with a Fighter, Black Mage, White Mage, and Thief. This thread needs not to go on.

sockmonkey
04-18-2007, 04:40 AM
Can we at least hassle you over your choices?

Sefie1999AD
04-18-2007, 04:28 PM
Taking 2 Fighters, a White Mage and a Black Mage would probably be the most effective team out of the Fi/?/Wm/Bm parties. However, if you don't want to have two characters of the same class, I'd suggest taking the Thief.

I suggest a thief.
You could use a Red Mage, which would be incredibly useful in the beginning. But after class change, the specialization required in the later dungeons only leaves the Red Mage wanting.
The Thief, on the other hand, is not really useful in the beginning, but becomes incredibly useful after class change. The Thief can run very well, and can sometimes match the Fighter's damage dealing when properly equipped. And after class change, the Ninja will be very powerful, essentially acting as a kind of Fighter himself. Like, having a Fighter after class change, not as powerful as a Knight, but still very good. And he can also use low level black magic. You just need to keep the Thief alive in the meantime, and he will become a great asset.

You know, this is why Fi/Th/Rm/Wm is my favorite party. :p Fighter is the tank, White Mage is the healer. I don't use Black Magic spells all that often, so I'd rather use a Red Mage than a Black Mage. Red Mage is a good class in the beginning, but he loses some of his effectiveness later in the game. On the other hand, Thief isn't that great until the class change. So at the beginning of the game, Fighter and Red Mage will be the damage dealers, and after the class change, Knight and Ninja will be doing the physical damage.

Fi/Rm/Th/Wm early in the game prevents the Thief from dying pretty often since the Red Mage will be taking damage instead. When the Ninja gets some better armor, I'll switch the party order to Kn/Ni/Rw/Ww. This team works quite well for me.

Doomie
04-26-2007, 11:02 PM
I just recently started a game too, and have two warriors with a red mage and white mage. I'm breezing through it right now, and none of my characters have yet to die.

sockmonkey
04-28-2007, 03:17 AM
You probably won't have any trouble at any point with that party really.
Two or more fighters make random battles a breeze and that's most of the hassle gone right there.

Bolivar
05-04-2007, 03:47 AM
I've stayed away from Fighters this time, i'd rather trade a little defense for more utility.

crazybayman
05-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I've stayed away from Fighters this time, i'd rather trade a little defense for more utility.

More utility, and more fatality. ;)
Fighters can be expensive, but they dispatch of the enemies quicker than anyone, and have great defense.

I just finished a game with a Fighter, Thief, Black Belt and Red Mage. Aside from Warmech battles, the only fatality I had was at the end of the castle of ordeals, which I visited early (before Gurgu Volcano) to get the early class change. I wound up finishing it at level 27 and 28. Plus, after the class change, my Master was a machine, hitting for more than my knight at times.

So that proved to be a pretty balanced party. I dont' like having the liability of a BM (or WM), in which you have to save spells for the boss fight.

Necronopticous
05-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Just pick a job that would make the game fun for you. The big appeal of Final Fantasy was that you could create the characters you wanted to experience the game with. If you're playing the original it's a tough game, but it's loads more enjoyable to choose a party that seems fun to play through with. It's possible to beat the game with any party combination, so go nuts.

Bolivar
05-04-2007, 09:32 PM

More utility, and more fatality. ;)

Actually ALOT more utility, and no fatality (so far).

I'm playing DoS. It's a little more challenging than the first time i played through it, but I find it to be much more enjoyable.

sockmonkey
05-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Is there a version of the original that uses MP rather than that oh-so-annoying spells-per-level system?

(The MP system really would validate the claim of more utility)

Necronopticous
05-08-2007, 08:44 AM
The "Dawn of Souls" GBA version.

Crossblades
05-08-2007, 02:27 PM
The "Dawn of Souls" GBA version.

And the soon to be released PSP version