PDA

View Full Version : Video game movies

Ashley Schovitz
03-12-2007, 11:44 PM
which movie based off a video game is your fave? Me it's RE Apocalypse
My favorite quote "Y'all are crazy, look at that big motherfucker got a rocket launcher!"

Garnie
03-12-2007, 11:57 PM
ADVENT CHILDREN
THE BEST BIT IN THAT IS WHEN RENO BREAKS RUDES GLASSES. YOUD THINK THAT THERE WOULD BE NO MORE SUNGLASSES BUT NO!
he takes a brand new pair out of his jacket. he he he.....

Shoeberto
03-13-2007, 12:03 AM
which movie based off a video game is your fave? Me it's RE Apocalypse
My favorite quote "Y'all are crazy, look at that big mothersmurfer got a rocket launcher!"
I preferred the line that went something like "C'mon man, my :skull::skull::skull::skull:'s custom." when they're trying to arm him up. That dude was classic.

look_out_below
03-13-2007, 03:31 AM
Mortal Combat (the first one) it wasnt a great movie but fairly entertaining and fun to watch. One of my favorite quotes in the movie is "We've got a guy with things coming out of his hand. We got another guy who freezes stuff. And, then there's a man who, as far as I can tell, is made out of electricity"

Spammerman
03-13-2007, 03:51 AM
I loved MK. It was awesome.

Wolf Kanno
03-13-2007, 06:20 AM
MK1 is the best. Johnny gets all the good lines too. My favorite was

"I don't like this Liu, I'm in an alien enviroment I don't understand, surrounded by people who probably want to kick my ass... it's like being in High School again!!!"

Slothy
03-13-2007, 12:15 PM
MK is the best, and yes, I have to agree that Johnny had some of the best lines. I do like Advent Children more, but for major movie releases MK is top. Pretty much everything else ever released based on a game has been utter crap, whereas it managed to stay pretty true to the source material and stay an entertaining movie.

Bunny
03-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Alone in the Dark!

Raebus
03-13-2007, 01:35 PM
Alone in the dark - Oh god :(

Still, the first mortal kombat film was pretty awesome and bad in a good way.

TyphoonThaReapa
03-13-2007, 02:51 PM
A'yo, Mortal Kombat the first movie was the **** son!!!

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!! *plays the opening theme*

Loony BoB
03-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Definitely Mortal Kombat.

Renmiri
03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
MK1 for the win!

Dreddz
03-13-2007, 05:39 PM
House of the dead!

Just kidding, all of them suck

Breine
03-15-2007, 04:26 PM
I've always thought that the Tomb Raider movies are very decent, and was succesful in capturing the spirit of both Lara and the overall game.

Advent Children was good as well.

blim
03-15-2007, 04:34 PM
I've always thought that the Tomb Raider movies are very decent, and was succesful in capturing the spirit of both Lara and the overall game.

I always thought the Tomb Raider movies sucked.

Wolf Kanno
03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Come now people, no video game movie can be worse than Double Dragon...

Bunny
03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Look no further, good sirs and madams. Bunny is here once more to bring to you the truth, justice, and American way.

Click! (http://imdb.com/title/tt0398913/)

Roto13
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Advent Children was fun to watch but it won't be winning any Oscars any time soon.

TyphoonThaReapa
03-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Hell yeah Double Dragon sucked!!!

Old Manus
03-15-2007, 09:11 PM
I'd watch pokemon the movie with a Butterfree.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Butterfree.png

Callisto
03-15-2007, 09:38 PM

Let's get it straight here.. Just because Angelina Jolie captured the *cough* physical *cough* features of Lara Croft, does not mean they were good movies. They were extremely disappointing. ;)

ljkkjlcm9
03-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Look no further, good sirs and madams. Bunny is here once more to bring to you the truth, justice, and American way.

are you serious? They actually made that?

That's just funny. I do enjoy the Resident Evil movies, as well as Mortal Kombat.

House of the Dead had Erica Durance (Lois Lane in Smallville) topless and was by far the best part of the movie lol.

I'm upset no one has said the Super Mario Bros. movie.

but obviously the list of movies have done well to have this many coming, or possibly coming

Currently in production

(Please note that the following list consist of titles currently in production. However, the project's are subject to change and may not reflect latest developments. Some titles may be on-hold for the time being and will resume progression on a later date. If you would like further information regarding a title, please request for citation[s].)

* Alice (2007)
* Alone in the Dark 2 (2008)
* BloodRayne II: Deliverance (2007)
* Castlevania (2007)
* Citizen Siege (2009)
* Clock Tower (2008)
* Cold Fear (2008)
* Death, Jr. (TBA)
* Devil May Cry (2008)
* Doom 2 (TBA)
* Driver (2008)
* EverQuest (TBA)
* Far Cry (2008)
* Fear Effect (2008)
* Gears of War (TBA) - Epic Games designer Cliff Bleszinki, during in interview with IGN[1] in February 2007, was asked about a possible movie adaptation. His response was, "There is talk. There is always talk, man. When you have something that's got this level of buzz and excitement there is talk in lunch boxes at this point."
* God of War (2007)
* Halo (2008)
* Hitman (2007)
* In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2007)
* Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (TBA) - On February 12, 2007, Variety.com reported[2] that Lions Gate had purchased the rights to release a live-action take on the video game. Further details stated that Adrian Askarieh and Daviel Alter were set to produce the project. The two producers are also billed to handle the live-action Hitman movie, another Io Interactive/Eidos franchise.
* Kameo (2007)
* Max Payne (2007)
* MechWarrior (TBA)
* Metal Gear Solid (2008)
* Mortal Kombat: Devastation (2007)
* Onimusha (2008)
* Postal (2007)
* Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2008)
* Prey (2008)
* Rainbow Six (2008)
* Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
* Resident Evil IV (2009)
* Silent Hill 2 (2008)
* Siren (2007)
* Soul Calibur (2007)
* Spy Hunter: Nowhere to Run (2007)
* Splinter Cell (2007)
* Street Fighter (2008)
* The Suffering (2007)
* Tekken (2009)
* Tomb Raider III (TBA)
* The Unforgettable (2008)
* WarCraft (2008)

Development hell

(Please note that the following list consist of film adaptations that are currently either on an unknown or cancelled status. It is cautioned that some of the project's may still be in production; however, lack of recently updates may lead some to challenge it's state of progression. If you would like to further details regarding the project, please request for citation[s].)

* American McGee's Oz & Grimm (TBA)
* Area 51 (TBA)
* Crazy Taxi' (TBA)
* Darkwatch: Curse of the West (TBA)
* Deus Ex (2006) - Cancelled in May 2004 according to IMDb)
* Diablo (TBA)
* Duke Nukem: The Movie (2007)
* Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (TBA)
* Fatal Frame (2006)
* Fear & Respect (2005)
* The Getaway (2004)
* Half-Life (TBA)
* Hunter: The Reckoning (2007)
* Metroid (2006)
* Nightmare Creatures (TBA)
* Pac-Man (TBA)
* Perfect Dark (TBA)
* Psi-Ops (TBA)
* Quake (TBA)
* Return to Castle Wolfenstein (TBA)
* Vampire: The Requiem (TBA)

We shall see what the future holds.

THE JACKEL

black orb
03-15-2007, 10:11 PM
>>> Advent Children, I have yet to see a good videogame movie with real actors..

The Real Dark Messenger
03-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Advent Children is a natural choice for best movie of course!
And I actually like the Tomb Raider movies too, but they could have been much better.
The DOA movie sucked!

oddler
03-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Super Mario Bros. was awesome. I saw that one in theatres way back when.
I definitely watched Mortal Kombat like 3 times in a row one day. :p

TyphoonThaReapa
03-16-2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah, Super Mario Bros. was good for its time.

Slothy
03-16-2007, 01:38 AM

You haven't actually seen Mario Bros. since then have you? Even compared to the horrible crap of the time that weren't video game movies, this ranks among the worst. It's fun when you're 5, but by 6 you see the truth. I rank it down there with Double Dragon, and Street Fighter to be honest.

oddler
03-16-2007, 01:52 AM

You haven't actually seen Mario Bros. since then have you? Even compared to the horrible crap of the time that weren't video game movies, this ranks among the worst. It's fun when you're 5, but by 6 you see the truth. I rank it down there with Double Dragon, and Street Fighter to be honest.

Yeah, I have seen it since then. I agree it's mostly just a lump of poo but it brings on the nostalgia.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
03-16-2007, 01:57 AM
advent childrennn

Slade
03-16-2007, 10:23 AM
The first Resident Evil movie. The second one was crap in comparison, in my opinion.

Breine
03-16-2007, 01:32 PM

Let's get it straight here.. Just because Angelina Jolie captured the *cough* physical *cough* features of Lara Croft, does not mean they were good movies. They were extremely disappointing. ;)

People have different opinions, but I will agree on the fact that Angelina Jolie had a lot to do with the movies being (imo) decent. Not just because she looks ridiculously hot, but she actually also did a pretty good job in playing Lara Croft.

ljkkjlcm9
03-16-2007, 02:52 PM

People have different opinions, but I will agree on the fact that Angelina Jolie had a lot to do with the movies being (imo) decent. Not just because she looks ridiculously hot, but she actually also did a pretty good job in playing Lara Croft.
and the funniest part is that he's implying the physical feature is her Ta-tas, which were digitally enhanced for the movie.

THE JACKEL

Bunny
03-16-2007, 03:21 PM

and the funniest part is that he's implying the physical feature is her Ta-tas, which were digitally enhanced for the movie.

THE JACKAL

Where does this come from?

Old Manus
03-16-2007, 04:53 PM
the internet

Ishin Ookami
03-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Because this thread has reminded just how good MK1 was, i'm picking it up this weekend. I loved that movie back in the day. I mean sure, goro went down like a marshmellow, but hell at least most of the fight scenes were pretty good, and the story, writing, and acting actually made an effort to be amusing and likeable. Which is why I almost cried when I saw what they turned MK: Armegeddon into. I don't so much mind the animalities, cheap CGI effects, and bad acting. It's the lousy script and misplaced actors (WTF was up with the bald headed twit they got to play shao khan and the stiff that played Raiden?"

As for other video game movies, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within is my all time favorite. I watched it again about two weeks ago and I'm still amazed to this day the hostile reception it gets. It had a great story, writing, and characters which is something few video game movies really make an effort. I think one thing that irks me bout it watching it today, is that at times it does feel like a later generation final fantasy FMV. Certain scenes like the jump jet landing and taking off, or the deep eyes walking over the cliff and coming up on a battlefield littered with corpses really do feel like they stepped out of an FMV in a FF title. Also I felt that the last ten minutes tried too hard to be dramatic, all those plot twists and turnarounds can get a bit tiring.

As for Advent Children, I wouldn't even say that film was fun to watch. It was pretty much 90 minutes of pure nonsense, broken up here and there by the turks and rufus being cool. Even a fantasy themed action scene needs to have some sort of choreography and logical flow to it, for it to make an impact. But once again Kitase and Nomura shelve creativity and logic in favor of letting their animators run wild and hope the majority of their target audience laps it up.

Tomb Raider I fell asleep shortly after Lara flashes the camera after her shower. I didn't bother with the sequel.

I felt that the Super Mario Bros. flick was actually off to a decent start back in the day, I like the paralell universe theme, and the idea where dinosaurs became the dominant species could have allowed the film to go in a very dark direction. But shortly after that, the film just went downhill.

Street Fighter with Van Damme was utter garbage. Nothing redeeming about it, and WTF were they thinking getting a scrawny midget to play sagat?

Now the animated movie was much better. The story still sorta stunk, but at least there the action scenes were wicked. I love Ken and Ryu double teaming Bison at the end. Pity the Alpha movie was just hella whack.

I also like the first two Fatal Fury OVA's. Espescially Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle. Krauser had some awesome lines in that film. Such as "Joe, if you're going to die, die more quietly. You're disturbing the other guests." Said while he's kicking the living crap outta poor Joe Higashi. The fatal fury motion picture however... was pure WTF all the way.

Then there is the lowest of the low. Double Dragon, Wing Commander, and the Wizard.

Captain Maxx Power
03-17-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-2DHeWPjN4

"Troopers, I just received new orders. Our superiors say the war is cancelled. We can all go home. Bison is getting paid off for his crimes, and our friends who have died here will have died for nothing. But, we can all go home. Meanwhile, ideals like peace, freedom, and justice, they get packed up. But, we can all go home. Well, I'm not going home. I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up river, and I'm going to kick that son of a bitch Bison's ass so hard that the next Bison wannabe is gonna feel it! Now, who wants to go home... and who wants to go with me?"

*Hooray!*

Elite :D

Ashley Schovitz
03-17-2007, 06:39 PM

are you serious? They actually made that?

That's just funny. I do enjoy the Resident Evil movies, as well as Mortal Kombat.

House of the Dead had Erica Durance (Lois Lane in Smallville) topless and was by far the best part of the movie lol.

I'm upset no one has said the Super Mario Bros. movie.

but obviously the list of movies have done well to have this many coming, or possibly coming

Currently in production

(Please note that the following list consist of titles currently in production. However, the project's are subject to change and may not reflect latest developments. Some titles may be on-hold for the time being and will resume progression on a later date. If you would like further information regarding a title, please request for citation[s].)

* Alice (2007)
* Alone in the Dark 2 (2008)
* BloodRayne II: Deliverance (2007)
* Castlevania (2007)
* Citizen Siege (2009)
* Clock Tower (2008)
* Cold Fear (2008)
* Death, Jr. (TBA)
* Devil May Cry (2008)
* Doom 2 (TBA)
* Driver (2008)
* EverQuest (TBA)
* Far Cry (2008)
* Fear Effect (2008)
* Gears of War (TBA) - Epic Games designer Cliff Bleszinki, during in interview with IGN[1] in February 2007, was asked about a possible movie adaptation. His response was, "There is talk. There is always talk, man. When you have something that's got this level of buzz and excitement there is talk in lunch boxes at this point."
* God of War (2007)
* Halo (2008)
* Hitman (2007)
* In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (2007)
* Kane & Lynch: Dead Men (TBA) - On February 12, 2007, Variety.com reported[2] that Lions Gate had purchased the rights to release a live-action take on the video game. Further details stated that Adrian Askarieh and Daviel Alter were set to produce the project. The two producers are also billed to handle the live-action Hitman movie, another Io Interactive/Eidos franchise.
* Kameo (2007)
* Max Payne (2007)
* MechWarrior (TBA)
* Metal Gear Solid (2008)
* Mortal Kombat: Devastation (2007)
* Onimusha (2008)
* Postal (2007)
* Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2008)
* Prey (2008)
* Rainbow Six (2008)
* Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
* Resident Evil IV (2009)
* Silent Hill 2 (2008)
* Siren (2007)
* Soul Calibur (2007)
* Spy Hunter: Nowhere to Run (2007)
* Splinter Cell (2007)
* Street Fighter (2008)
* The Suffering (2007)
* Tekken (2009)
* Tomb Raider III (TBA)
* The Unforgettable (2008)
* WarCraft (2008)

Development hell

(Please note that the following list consist of film adaptations that are currently either on an unknown or cancelled status. It is cautioned that some of the project's may still be in production; however, lack of recently updates may lead some to challenge it's state of progression. If you would like to further details regarding the project, please request for citation[s].)

* American McGee's Oz & Grimm (TBA)
* Area 51 (TBA)
* Crazy Taxi' (TBA)
* Darkwatch: Curse of the West (TBA)
* Deus Ex (2006) - Cancelled in May 2004 according to IMDb)
* Diablo (TBA)
* Duke Nukem: The Movie (2007)
* Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (TBA)
* Fatal Frame (2006)
* Fear & Respect (2005)
* The Getaway (2004)
* Half-Life (TBA)
* Hunter: The Reckoning (2007)
* Metroid (2006)
* Nightmare Creatures (TBA)
* Pac-Man (TBA)
* Perfect Dark (TBA)
* Psi-Ops (TBA)
* Quake (TBA)
* Return to Castle Wolfenstein (TBA)
* Vampire: The Requiem (TBA)

We shall see what the future holds.

THE JACKAL

Surely most of those movies won't be coming out and I can't see EverQuest and World of Warcraft as movies. Prince of Persia might be good, but that's a big might. If there really is a Soul Calibur movie coming out this year then it better be all CGI I think it would be terrible if it was live action.