PDA

View Full Version : Zodiac Spear X2?

Northcrest
03-13-2007, 03:57 AM
Okay so I'm scanning around in my strategy guide book and I look on the page for the Hennes Mines. It says that in a small area in the Hennes Mines(Wearing a diamond armlet) there is a 90% chance of getting a knot of rust but there is a 10% Chance of getting a Zodiac Spear (I check if my eyes were lieing to me). Then it also said in the back of the book that you could get the Zodiac Spear at the Necrohol of Nabudis pending special conditions. If this is all true I have 2 questions.

1.Is there a way to wield 2 Zodiac Spears?
2. Do you have to have the condition ( to not open the 4 secret treasure chest in the game) in order to not open the treasure chest in the Hennes Mines.

Andamo
03-13-2007, 04:15 AM
1. A single character cannot weild two weapons at the same time. (Well...except for Reddas, but that doesn't count. Plus, spear weapons are two-handed weapons.

2. I don't think so. I may be wrong, but I think that when you get the Zodiac Spear from the Necrohol of Nabudis, the chests you weren't supposed to open disappear. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that's right, because I went back to the Phon Coast after getting the Zodiac Spear, and one or two of the chests were gone; I didn't open any of them on the Phon Coast just in case (which I why I think they disappeared after getting the spear).

Northcrest
03-13-2007, 04:19 AM
I'm talking about having two characters with a Zodiac Spear. Plus I'm also talking about does the 4 tresure chest also effect getting the one in the Henne Mines. Please tell me the weapon that can use two weapons.:D

Gabranth
03-13-2007, 06:29 AM
i'm pretty sure you can get the one from nabudis and the one from henne mines both, you'll just have a way harder time obtaining the henne mines one

Shiva_
03-13-2007, 08:40 AM
For the Zodiac Spear in the Necrohol of Nabudis, there are four certain chests you can't open. If you open any of them, the spear just won't be available in any of the chests there. If you do obtain the spear there, it's still possible to obtain another one in the Henne Mines as well.

However, the one in the Henne Mines is much more difficult to get. You have to have to Diamond Armlet equipped, too, in order to get it.

Anyway, the rarity of it goes like this:

1) The chest has a 10% chance to spawn.

2) In the chest, there's a 90% chance that it will have gil in it, and there will be a 10% chance that an item will be in it.

3) If an item is in it, then there's a 90% chance that it will be an Elixer or something, and there's a 10% chance that it will be a Zodiac Spear.

You're basically looking at a 1/1000 chance in being able to get one from the chest in the Henne Mines.

In my opinion, it's not worth it to try to go for it even if you weren't able to get the one in Necrohol of Nabudis. In the later part of the game, the other ultimate weapons tend to outshine it as some have greater combo rates (e.g. Masamune + Genji Gloves Combo) than the spear. Also, an example of an ultimate weapon that may outshine the spear in various situations is the Excalibur w/ its Holy Element. It works better against the undead than the spear does as there's a ton of them (weak against Holy) in many of the tougher areas of the game.

Nominus Experse
03-13-2007, 08:47 AM
As Shiva_ states, there is no real reason to even attempt acquiring two Zodiac Spears. You begin delving into possibilities that rival quantum physics when you think of your chances.

But is it possible? Yes, most definitely so. But is it feasible? No. And is the reward worth it? No.

Unless, of course, you have a year or two to spend constantly attempting this inane feat.

Northcrest
03-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Well on accident at the beginning of the game I opened the wrong treasure chest so my next goal will be to get the 2nd Zodiac Spear? I'll show you all.

xtrava
03-13-2007, 03:45 PM
lol, good luck. It's really not worth it though. I don't personally think its even that good a weapon.

Northcrest
03-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Really cause a weapon with a 150 attack power (wielding two bastard swords) sounds pretty good to me.

xtrava
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
4 hits with it is basically the same as 5 hits with my current best weapon...Oh no, one hit better every 4...Doesnt impress me much ;)

If it was 300 attack power...that would be impressive and seem worth trying to get the second one...well, almost.

Remon
03-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah but you get the 2nd spear near the end of the game, which is pretty much worthless

Sergeant Hartman
03-13-2007, 08:32 PM
So the Zodiac spear sucks then?

Remon
03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
NO
I mean you don't really need it near the end of the game.

Nominus Experse
03-13-2007, 09:57 PM
The only thing it has going for it is that it boasts the highest Attack Rating in the game. However, this is really quite useless when you can have such things as high level Ninja Swords that strike multiple times.

A Zodiac Spear won't grant as many multiple hits as a Ninja Sword will, which, in turn, leads to the Zodiac Spear striking for less critical hits and damage.

9999 damage isn't much compared to 3 to 8 hits of 4999 damage. Although the Zodiac Spear will sometimes strike for multiple hits, such a happening is far less common and thus less reliable than when using Ninja Swords or Katanas (even more so when a character is using a Cat Hood or Genji Gloves).

As an added note: Spears provide +8 Eva, Katanas +5 Eva, and Ninja Swords +20 Eva

Spear damage is calculated by factoring in your character's Strength, the spear's Attack Rating, and the enemy's Defense rating.

Katana damage is affected by your character's Strength, Magick, the Katana's Attack Rating, and the the target's Defense Rating.

Damage for Ninja Swords is based on your character's Strength and Speed, the Ninja Sword's Attack Rating, and the enemy's Defense Rating.

Renmiri
03-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Wyrmhero blade is just as useless: You need to defeat Yiazmat to get it

Nominus Experse
03-13-2007, 11:10 PM
This game has quite few things that are really no more than "collectibles".

Shiva_
03-14-2007, 01:02 AM
So the Zodiac spear sucks then?

It's a great weapon for earlier in the game.

The earliest you can get it is right after you finish Tomb of Raithwall and receive the Dawn Shard. Getting it at this time will help you breeze through the game, and you will be hitting for 1500-2000 HP of damage at around level 20, which is impressive at that point in the game (before heading to Jahara). However, trying to get it at this time is a bit of a challenge. On my 1st playthrough, I got mine after finishing the Stilshrine, and I was level 25.

There was a detailed guide in getting the Zodiac Spear early in the game posted by someone on another forum one time, but I decided to condense the process down just to give a big picture and idea on it.

Here it goes:

After receiving the Dawn Shard, just teleport to Nalbina Town, talk to the girl (named July) standing on the wall, then hop on the chocobo. Ride over to the guards. The guards will then let you by. You will then ride into the Mosphoran Highwaste. Ride through there into the camp, and save. Then put 1 person in your party at a time, and head north. Hold R2 the whole way to flee. Keep going north until you head to Salikawood. Go through the Salikawood until you reach the teleport crystal. Once again, hold R2. Save there. [Consult a map of area for help in directions to get there].
If anyone gets KO'ed, switch out, go to safe spot, and full heal. There's no use in pickin' fights in any of these areas as the enemies are too much for you at this point, and they will kill you in 1-2 hits.

Here comes the hardest part of this process. You have to fight the Bomb King. For prep, make sure you have enough Ethers, Hi-Potions, Elixers, and all 3 mist gauges for the battle. After saving at that crystal, enter the area to fight the Bomb King. Once you enter the room, leave right back out (the BK lunges right toward you as you enter). Buff up your character who has Belias & equip him/her w/ manufacted nethicite. Then go back in. Get out of BK's target range and summon Belias. Belias absorbs fire damage because he's fire elemental, so he will be getting healed by pretty much all of BK's attacks. Anyway, stay away from BK and let Belias deal with him. When Belias is about to go, and it shows that he is preparing for Hellfire, dismiss him (Hellfire will heal BK). Then resummon him staying out of BK's range. Keep repeating the process healing yourself as needed, walking around to help keep mana up, and staying buffed up. BK will full-heal couple times with Renew which is annoying, so be patient.

Once you defeated the BK (thank goodness!!!), then you get access to the NW part of Salikawood which leads to Necrohol of Nabudis and Nabreus Deadleads. Go to the southern edge of that NW Salikawood section and flee (R2) thru there. That leads to Necrohol of Nabudis which is where the spear is.

This place is very difficult as the enemies hit hard and will OHKO you at this point. Definitely no use in pickin' fights here either. Unequip everybody and have only 1 person active at a time (like you did in the other places). You need to do this to save time by not having your guys sheath or draw out weapons/shields, as you will be fleeing the whole time (every little bit of time counts). Anytime one ally dies, switch in another one. [To find where you need to go to get the spear, consult a map of Necrohol of Nabudis].
The first section of this place is the hardest to get through mainly because the goblins come tackling after you as you come through, and they keep chasing you, but there's a hallway (w/ deadend) that you can turn into, and they will turn around and leave you alone. That's a good time to full heal everybody. Right after you enter another section is any good time to full heal everyone. Once you approach the room to get the spear be careful with the gargoyles as they lurk around there. The spear should be in the 2nd chest from the left right in front of the entrance. After you get it, flee back out of the place, full-healing each time you enter another section, and in that deadend hallway, right before exiting.

It took me two tries to get the spear on my run through there. I died the first time because I had trouble finding which chest the spear was in, and the gargoyles had pwned me by the time I was able to get it.

Northcrest
03-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Whoa good topic Shiva_ but is there anyone who has ever gotten the Zodiac Spear from the Hennes Mines yet?

Gabranth
03-15-2007, 05:55 AM
no, when i got the masamune and the genji gloves the zodiac spear seemed inferior to me.

Renmiri
03-15-2007, 04:51 PM
From another forum (ffx2.com): You can get TWO Zodiac spears at Henne mines but every time you get one your chances decrease. First time is 1/100, second time is 1/1000, third is 1/10,000...

Shiva_
03-15-2007, 08:52 PM
From another forum (ffx2.com): You can get TWO Zodiac spears at Henne mines but every time you get one your chances decrease. First time is 1/100, second time is 1/1000, third is 1/10,000...

I think that was my mistake up there. I believe that if you go to that area for the first time, I presume that there's a 100% chance that the chest will be there (if you had never opened it before). If you open the chest, and you don't get the spear, then you can restart and reload the game, and go for it again. The chest should still have a 100% spawn rate when you go back. This would make the chances of getting the spear 1/100.

However, if you had picked up the chest & didn't get the spear, and then you saved again later, then the chest will only have a 10% chance of spawning. This will then reduce your chances of getting it to 1/1000.

The above is what I had read on another forum.

I'm not sure whether or not, that for each spear you get, the spawn rate of the chest reduces.

Northcrest
03-17-2007, 04:45 AM
Whoa well at least there is a chance of me getting the Zodiac Spear. :grin:

ZodiarkTheTadpole
03-20-2007, 03:58 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=98177&highlight=zodiarkthetadpole

Or you can always hack to get as many spears as you want.